Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tempest_56 posted:

Lucky break for the Maru there. But goonlance appears to be getting into position - only serious worry I see right now is that Thunderchild sniping. But there's not much to do about that at the moment, and that's almost a good thing. If the Ace is up there in a sniping nest, he's not moving around to use that Ace.

Also - after getting it cleared by Slowbeef, I've got a present related to the previous conversation: the 1986 sourcebook/comicbook The Spider and the Wolf, which has been out of print for 25 years. The scenarios in the back are ignorable, but the first 75% of the book is taken up by one of the earliest pieces of Battletech fiction and the story of Joshua Wolf's death at the hands of Anton Marik.

Up on Google Docs here.

Hey, thanks man!

Geez, I remember seeing that cover in the store as a youth, but it was one of the few Battletech items from that era that I didn't buy. I really do appreciate the chance to fix a teenage mistake!

EDIT: Hey, check that out! They've got a Robotech Alpha Fighter (or Mospeada Legios if you prefer the original) as a 'mech in this one! You can see one wrecked earlier, but the best shot is in the lower left hand corner of page nine. Granted, it would have ended up as one of the Unseen even if they had, but I'm surprised I've never seen stats for one in Battletech.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

Well, two mines out of three ain't bad. PTN are you going to let us in on what they did, or wait until we can actually see the enemy for a damage assessment?

The damage takes place in the movement phase, so you'll see in the turn 4 update.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Cookieman, this is one of those times you want to be totally certain about LOS before you move. If I were you, I'd ask PTN if mechs at 0608 and, let's say, 1416 could see a boat at 0415 and/or 0416. No sense in running for a 'safe spot' that really isn't.

VVVV Whoops.:blush:

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 29, 2011

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mary Annette posted:

Cookieman, this is one of those times you want to be totally certain about LOS before you move. If I were you, I'd ask PTN if mechs at 0608 and, let's say, 1416 could see a boat at 0415 and/or 0416. No sense in running for a 'safe spot' that really isn't.

Cookieman dropped out at the beginning. PTN hasn't changed the player on the last few updates.

So PTN is it as safe as every one is assuming?

Rumda fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 28, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Affi posted:

Dude we're not going to win by playing hide and seek with the clanners for 25 rounds.

Can you imagine what devious scheme PTN would unless if you made him roll all the rounds out consisting of a wild chase? He'd probably drop a moon on the planet out of spite.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Trast posted:

He'd probably drop a moon on the planet out of spite.

Voting for this plan.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Rumda posted:

Cookieman dropped out at the beginning. PTN hasn't changed the player on the last few updates.

Oh. He's gonna be awful confused about those PMs I sent him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trast posted:

Can you imagine what devious scheme PTN would unless if you made him roll all the rounds out consisting of a wild chase? He'd probably drop a moon on the planet out of spite.

PTN explicitly put that victory condition in there. Of course it's a viable option, and of course he'd be OK with running through 25 rounds of play.

PTN may be devious, but he's not an rear end in a top hat. And honestly I think playing hide-and-seek, while doing your best to take out one enemy mech, is the best possible option for a victory. Prevent the enemy mechs from getting good lines of sight, keep them from focus-firing, and when you must give them a target, make it one of the expendable vehicles.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

raverrn posted:

Oh. He's gonna be awful confused about those PMs I sent him.

You know after all my paranoia about being left out of then loop I should have known it would happen someday.
:haw:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Leperflesh posted:

PTN explicitly put that victory condition in there. Of course it's a viable option, and of course he'd be OK with running through 25 rounds of play.

Besides, in that scenario the last 10 turns or so will only have 1-2 players left, and they will be trying to keep out of sight so there will be little to no rolling for attacks / damage. PTN could even go 3 or 4 turns between updates, just PM'ing the surviving players and not doing up a fancy post that just says everyone ran around a bit,

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Move the Maru ahead 4, it will be safe for one more turn, and get point blank ac/20 action. :swoon: It is the best action.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rumda posted:

It's safe enough (for a turn, unless C backs up a hex and just ends it from a height 2 firing position), but those hills and trees pretty much kill the Luthien Maru's line of sight. I'm kinda surprised you pushed so hard for a position you can't hold or that the Clans will just bypass in a round or two.

I thought you'd be gunning for the fast-movers, not wave two. :psyduck:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 29, 2011

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's safe enough (for a turn, unless C backs up a hex and just ends it from a height 2 firing position), but those hills and trees pretty much kill the Luthien Maru's line of sight. I'm kinda surprised you pushed so hard for a position you can't hold or that the Clans will just bypass in a round or two.

I thought you'd be gunning for the fast-movers, not wave two. :psyduck:

That is what we pretty much advised them to do, but, you know, Goons.

And hey, who knows, maybe the plan will work? Stranger things have happened.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

So I was browsing Sarna and I saw this:

quote:

DRG-1G Grand Dragon Douglas - This first generation Grand Dragon was customized by Team Banzai MechWarrior Douglas Running-Elk. Not keen on high temperatures, Douglas refitted his captured Grand Dragon to run with cooler weapons. He had the 'Mech's PPC removed for a Class 5 Autocannon with one ton of ammunition. He then downgraded its LRM Launcher to a 5 Rack with single ton of ammunition. He removed all the forward medium lasers and replaced them with a single 6-tubed Short Range Missile Launcher.

What even the hell?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

raverrn posted:

So I was browsing Sarna and I saw this:

What even the hell?

in tech 1, heat is a BIG issue. Also parts are scarse. Basically that refit is a refit for more low heat common weapons. I imagine if you were running a campaign it would be essential.

edit: it wouldn't be my favorite mech to play. But it is super cheap and effective in comparison.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 29, 2011

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Axe-man posted:

in tech 1, heat is a BIG issue. Also parts are scarse. Basically that refit is a refit for more low heat common weapons. I imagine if you were running a campaign it would be essential.

Heat might be a problem, sure. But a heavy 'mech with an LRM-5 and an AC-5 is a much, much bigger problem.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

raverrn posted:

Heat might be a problem, sure. But a heavy 'mech with an LRM-5 and an AC-5 is a much, much bigger problem.

The Grand Dragon is a 5/8, which is pretty unheard of for a heavy in 3025. A weak armament isn't that big a problem if he's leading a scout lance or running a scout-hunter lance.

Hell, the Grasshopper's a dedicated light 'Mech killer, and it's also got a weak armament for its weight.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

raverrn posted:

That's nothing. There's a Clan Omni Assault with two AC-5s and nothing else past SRM range.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

That's nothing. There's a Clan Omni Assault with two AC-5s and nothing else past SRM range.

The AUTRO Gargoyle is substantially different. Quite possibly, it's downright terrifying.

... Then again, so's the Kingfisher.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

The AUTRO Gargoyle is substantially different. Quite possibly, it's downright terrifying.

AUTRO Gargoyle? I wish to hear about this...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

AUTRO Gargoyle? I wish to hear about this...

Alternate Universe Technical Readout. It's just a tag I'm using on all my Omni redesigns, as well as the low-tech Hollander, the Gustav, and several other Inner Sphere designs and redesigns (like the new Capellan surprises that you guys are adamantly refusing to let me show off).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have been waiting for six months to see your Kingfisher. It better be as good as you claim. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I have been waiting for six months to see your Kingfisher. It better be as good as you claim. :colbert:

It terrifies me.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Reminds me of a mech I designed, the Inner Sphere version to the Puma/Adder. Think of it as the Rakshasa of light mechs. Dispite being almost totally worse than the clan version in virtually every way on paper, when I went to test it with a friend(I gave him two to my one for battle-value equivlancy), they utterly ripped the Adder apart much to my surprise. I suspect this is because there's enough heatsinks in the IS version to dual fire almost every turn. I'm pretty sure it'd hold it's own even in 1v1, although I didn't test it for that.

PTN, you can use if you want(or anybody else in your games for that matter), although redesign it for current tech(read: use shitter PPCs); I love the 3067 year myself and that is what I limited myself to. Maybe you can give it to somebody in a future mission as a bonus item for doing something or another. http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/BattlemechInfo.asp?ID=15857

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Is this tangled web 'screw around for the critical first phase of the mission, allow clan forces to concentrate, and then act surprised when it turns out you can't run away for 25 turns against that weight of clan metal?'

Seriously, I am so confused right now. Waiting for some sort of brilliant tactical maneuver that annihilates the enemy in place.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

All I am saying is that C better walk forward into point blank justice cannon range, or get a nasty crit to the chest.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Centurium posted:

Is this tangled web 'screw around for the critical first phase of the mission, allow clan forces to concentrate, and then act surprised when it turns out you can't run away for 25 turns against that weight of clan metal?'

Seriously, I am so confused right now. Waiting for some sort of brilliant tactical maneuver that annihilates the enemy in place.

U mad bro?

Seriously, if one of the players would be a tyrant and dictate the movement for the other players, some of the units would probably in different locations. But that isn't the case, and we all want to have fun here, regardless of the relative Battletech experience levels.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 29, 2011

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I don't see the third objective coming up as anything other than an ace in the hole. I would not bank on it, necessarily. With 'zell off I can imagine the four remaining Clanner's eating your slowpokes alive and then just stringing themselves across the very narrow map and eating you alive. Even if your lone survivor manages to squirt through or around the drag net the Clanners just need to camp the bottom of the map and it's too narrow for any real fancy footwork. That said, if you can down the faster Clanners and delay the assaults (suicide Justice feet holding action?) yeah, it's possible.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Yes, the Thunderbolt should, if we can arrange it, die last, as it is our best option to escape up the hill thanks to its jump jets. But I agree, it is highly unlikely that we survive till turn 25.

Well, we just have to stick to the plan, I guess: five gauss rifle shots, five head shots! Make it happen, raverrn! :v:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

LB-X 5s can fire once every 2.5 seconds (or 4 times a Battletech turn) in Solaris rules, and so can almost all of the other weapons on the Prime Garg.It is an exceptionally deadly dueling mech in the rules designed to model one-on-one duels better, because those two LB-X 5s basically become low-heat ER LRM-20s. And if you get close, it can also fire the ER Small laser 4 times in 10 seconds, adding another 20 points of punch.

The SRMs recycle pretty fast too, IIRC they fired once every 5 seconds? Anyways, the Gargoyle Prime can put out basically 92 points of damage every 10-second turn in a duel for all of 32 heat, it just sucks total balls outside of them. But if I was a Clanner, and I got to choose my ride, I could do much worse than the Gargoyle Prime, because it is basically one of the best duelists in the Clan arsenal.

Anyways, keep the river monitor in a position where you can drag a Clanner within range 3 of its twin AC20s, because ideally what you want is to hammer the firing studs for those AC20s and hope you kill the enemy. Sadly, you don't have the optional "rapid-fire autocannon" rule up, because if you do, I'd suggest hammering them with double-shot. Sure, your autocannons have a 3% chance of exploding and a 20% chance of jamming on that, but you have basically a 0% chance of surviving more than one exchange of fire.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

U mad bro?

Seriously, if one of the players would be a tyrant and dictate the movement for the other players, some of the units would probably in different locations. But that isn't the case, and we all want to have fun here, regardless of the relative Battletech experience levels.

Just confused, brosephus.

I don't care one way or another. PTN is a great GM and a better storyteller, so for me it doesn't matter if you headcap the enemy commander twice and beat his lifeless body with the severed limbs of his command, or dress your mechs in pink dresses and flee.

But I still don't get what these moves are driving at.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Centurium posted:

Just confused, brosephus.

But I still don't get what these moves are driving at.

Right now it's mostly correcting moves that were made in turn one, because most of us sent in their turns before we talked about a strategy.

Basically we came too early, and now we are cleaning up that poo poo. :v:

Edit: Guys, I try to PM you my analysis of this turn in a couple of hours (six or seven).

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 29, 2011

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

jng2058 posted:

EDIT: Hey, check that out! They've got a Robotech Alpha Fighter (or Mospeada Legios if you prefer the original) as a 'mech in this one! You can see one wrecked earlier, but the best shot is in the lower left hand corner of page nine. Granted, it would have ended up as one of the Unseen even if they had, but I'm surprised I've never seen stats for one in Battletech.

Jesus, I'd much rather have that hornet than the one we got.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tarquinn posted:

Edit: Guys, I try to PM you my analysis of this turn in a couple of hours (six or seven).

Just post it here man, we're on your side (well not me because i want the clans to win)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

Just post it here man, we're on your side (well not me because i want the clans to win)

Sure. Here you go.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I really really really really do not like slow vehicles. Give me a lance of Savannah Masters any day. That said, I will try and give them the amount of respect they are due.

Our lives for the Combine! Oh Blake we are all going to die

code:
Vehicle Name: Partisan Heavy Tank
IS Level 1
Weight: 80 tons
Speed: 3/5/0
Armor: 96 points (6 tons standard)
Internal Structure: 40 points
Crew: 6 members
4x Autocannon/5 (Turret) (40 shots, body)
2x Machine Gun (Front) (100 shots, body)

The Partisan is a dedicated anti-aircraft platform, but in a pinch can engage enemy ground forces. With four medium autocannons, all on a turret, this vehicle is designed to engage at a long range and exploit any prior damage dealt to the enemy.

This is a good thing, as the Partisan will not survive if targeted. With a paltry top speed of 54 km/h and a mere 6 tons of armor, a single salvo from heavy mechs is enough to erase this vehicle from existence. The Machine Guns are there to deter infantry, as you will never actually want to close range with an enemy.

code:
Vehicle Name: Monitor Naval Vessel
IS Level 1
Weight 75 tons
Speed: 3/5/0
Armor: 128 points (8 tons standard)
Internal Structure: 40 points
Crew: 5 members
AC/20 (Turret) (15 shots, body)
AC/20 (Turret)
SRM-2 (Right) (50 shots, body)
SRM-2 (Left)
SRM-2 (Rear)

Let us start with the positives: It has a lot of firepower. With the turreted AC/20s it can destroy anybody who gives it a good shot. The SRMs are very useful for exploiting the holes created by the big cannons. Ammunition will not be a concern.

Now for the negatives: It is a slow vehicle limited to the waters with no long range armament and not enough armor to survive the attention of a pissed off enemy. Your best bet is to hide and wait for a good shot, but with all the forest around that might just be impossible. Surviving to fire the second shot would be a minor miracle.

code:
Vehicle Name: Manticore Heavy Tank
IS Level 1
Weight: 60 tons
Speed: 4/6/0
Armor: 176 points (11 tons)
Internal Structure: 30 points
Crew: 4 members
PPC (Turret)
LRM-10 (Turret) (12 shots, body)
SRM-6 (Turret) (15 shots, body)
Medium Laser (Front)

Now for a vehicle that I actually do not completely hate although I would not want to actually field one. The Manticore is one of the best tanks in the 3025-era. With a solid top speed of 65 km/h, good armor, and a turret-mounted offense that is both powerful and diverse, the Manticore is actually capable of holding its own on a battlefield.

That being said, it still doesn't want to get in close to an enemy, as it is still in fact a vehicle. Keep yourself at a respectable range and stay mobile. Ammo for the LRM-10 could become an issue if the Manticore manages to survive for a while, but do not let that keep you from firing, as the odds of that happening are still slim at best.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Yes, ammuniton doesn't really matter. Basically, always fire everything.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MJ12 posted:

Solaris Rules

This intrigues me. Where can I find these Solaris rules?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Although I've been following I don't actually know the rules. Why are vehicles so inherently inferior to mechs in the rule system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmitz
Sep 2, 2011
They aren't actually. Minus the motive system damage rolls and special rules, armor is atleast on par with mechs. Personally i prefer a mixed force of armor and mechs myself, leaving the mechs to be the anvils and the armor to be the hammer.

• Locked thread