Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzino Smith
Sep 27, 2011

Hark the Sound
I have an original nook, and am still happy with it, but am very tempted to get the $99 kindle when it comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The screen on the new kindles are exactly the same as the kindle 3, right?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ranzino Smith posted:

I have an original nook, and am still happy with it, but am very tempted to get the $99 kindle when it comes out

I have an original nook and I'm tempted by the entire lineup of Kindles now that they have OverDrive support on them.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Tablets are stupid, but Kindles are rad. I'm torn.
If they take my Kindle 2 Int'l 3G connection and put it on the Kindle Fire, I shan't hesitate. I've given up on using the Kindle as a PDF reader, which is all I ever really wanted. They don't really think they're going to stream movies over Whispernet? Also, GODDAMNIT CONSUMERS LIKE BUTTONS. Stop trying to convince us that we actually don't.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

agarjogger posted:

Also, GODDAMNIT CONSUMERS LIKE BUTTONS. Stop trying to convince us that we actually don't.

That's why they're selling the touchless model today? The live blog I was reading even quoted Bezos as segueing into that with "But what if you like buttons"

Been using a Kindle 2 for some time now and its just fine but at $80 couldn't really resist ordering the newer smaller one today.

Edit: has anything been said about whether that X-Ray feature is exclusive to Kindle Touch? The engadget live blog speculated it was but nothing I've seen in the hands on stuff mentions it at all. Not a deal breaker but would certainly be nice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

That quote's just referring to the method of only doing a "full" refresh (with the blanking out of the screen with black) every 6-pages or so. Between that, it just instantly changes the text without a flash. I think this leads to a little bit of shadowing/artifacting that you can see, but the trade-off is "hey, a lot less flashing in my face."
Yeah, this was just a case of catching up to the nook touch.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!
I still like the Nook Simple Touch form better - the side buttons, the soft touch back with the ridge for grip, as an example. But having that insanely small size together with the Amazon marketplace? I'll be getting a Kindle Touch soon, I think.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 28, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
We ordered a ad-sponsored touch, despite having a 3rd gen wifi at the house. Sub-$99 prices are going to make these things fly out the door, and Amazon's going to print money with e-books.

We're super impressed with how our public library has handled e-lending, it's great, and there's a ton of content. I'm going to use one of the kindle's for my kid's reading, there's so much content now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chapstickie posted:

They made the memory smaller? \

No they didn't. Unless you mean the new non-touch, non-keyboard super cheap model. The others have 4 GB just like the Kindle 3s have.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

What is the kindle 3's keyboard used for? Or in other words, what kind of a chore will it be to actually use the non-touch kindle 4, since it has neither a physical or touch-based keyboard?

I'm about to get one but I wonder if I'll regret not pre-ordering the touch instead when looking up words, managing books, etc. I imagine navigating a virtual keyboard with a nub will be a pain in the rear end, but if it's almost never necessary I won't mind.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I use it semi-regularly to search books and the kindle store. I don't think I've ever once taken a note, but I don't do that in physical books either.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I use it to check bus times if I can't reach for my phone for whatever reason. It's come up a couple times. I don't know that I'd personally feel the loss, but of course some people will.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

the littlest prince posted:

What is the kindle 3's keyboard used for? Or in other words, what kind of a chore will it be to actually use the non-touch kindle 4, since it has neither a physical or touch-based keyboard?

I'm about to get one but I wonder if I'll regret not pre-ordering the touch instead when looking up words, managing books, etc. I imagine navigating a virtual keyboard with a nub will be a pain in the rear end, but if it's almost never necessary I won't mind.
Assuming we're just talking the letter keys, pretty much all I've ever used it for is looking for books in the Kindle Store, making collections for sorting, looking words up in the dictionary, and in the web browser. Making collections is kind of unavoidable if you want to stay organized (though you'll likely only spend a few minutes doing it ever), but the rest isn't terribly crucial, at least if you shop for books from your computer.

As a Kindle 3 owner, the new Kindles look so strange with no keyboard. Seems like the new cover with light doesn't have any kind of closing latch or cord..?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

- (the first time you turn it in) Logging into your Amazon account
- Naming collections
- Search books
- Make notes
- Search Amazon store
- Enter website address (also any typing your may do in the web browser)
- Play games

That's about it.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

trandorian posted:

No they didn't. Unless you mean the new non-touch, non-keyboard super cheap model. The others have 4 GB just like the Kindle 3s have.

Well that's a start, though it doesn't fix my actual problem of not wanting to pour more money into a book store when it looks like my next e-reader is going to be with a different book store. I mean, it's not really a big deal, I was just pretty sure the new Kindle would have SD since all the Nooks do. I'm not really a fighter when it comes to my devices, I get what can get the job done, which looks now like it's going to be a Nook. Oh well, the books I have can be converted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chapstickie posted:

Well that's a start, though it doesn't fix my actual problem of not wanting to pour more money into a book store when it looks like my next e-reader is going to be with a different book store. I mean, it's not really a big deal, I was just pretty sure the new Kindle would have SD since all the Nooks do. I'm not really a fighter when it comes to my devices, I get what can get the job done, which looks now like it's going to be a Nook. Oh well, the books I have can be converted.

Er what? Fighter what?

Why would a new Kindle have SD when they dropped SD after the first Kindle? And even if every document you had was 5 megabytes you'd still fit 670 or so minimum on a 4 gb kindle.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 28, 2011

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

trandorian posted:

Er what? Fighter what?

Why would a new Kindle have SD when they dropped SD after the first Kindle? And even if every document you had was 5 megabytes you'd still fit 670 or so minimum on a 4 gb kindle.

I was mostly referring to the arguments that have gone on in this thread. People seem to be very loyal to one company or the other and conversations on gadget forums tend to get a bit heated. I've owned 2 Kindles so far (a 1 and a 3) but I'm not particularly attached to Amazon, though they've treated me well. I need SD not because I'm worried about running out of space but because I share my Kindle occasionally and have documents that can't be left on it when it's out in the world on its own. It can't really be argued, it's just a feature I need that the Nook provides but the Kindle does not. I've already tried to get along without it and it's just not for me, hence why I was waiting so anxiously for news of the new Kindles. But since none of them provide a necessary (for me, not for everyone) feature, it looks like I can stop waiting and go ahead and pick up a Nook.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sporadic posted:

- (the first time you turn it in) Logging into your Amazon account
- Naming collections
- Search books
- Make notes
- Search Amazon store
- Enter website address (also any typing your may do in the web browser)
- Play games

That's about it.

You know, I could have sworn that I never had to log into my Amazon account on my Kindle. I think it was set up and ready to go as soon as I turned it on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mu Zeta posted:

You know, I could have sworn that I never had to log into my Amazon account on my Kindle. I think it was set up and ready to go as soon as I turned it on.

When i bought mine I didn't have to login, but my warranty replacement needed me to login.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, if you buy it from amazon using your account, they'll automatically set it up for you.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Figures, as soon as I pony up and by a Kindle, a new line of Kindles is announced. I'll be returning my Kindle 3 and pre-ordering a Kindle Touch. I've become addicted to that thing in the two days that I've had it. But I can't pass up a cheaper Kindle with a touch screen.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

What is the kindle 3's keyboard used for?

I have an 8 digit password protect on my Kindle. Keying in the password with my current Kindle 3 keyboard is a breeze, and I have to do this fairly regularly (I'm paranoid that someone is either going to steal it, or that something will knock onto a button and lose my place). I can imagine this being a pain in the rear end on the non-touch Kindle 4. Maybe I should just use a shorter password.

Or maybe stick with my Kindle 3. I'm so torn. Think I might need to handle the new ones first. Also, any word on Kindle Touch for the UK? I think I'd like the touch, especially seeing you can turn the page without using two hands. Need to know how bad the ghosting would be on these new ones though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think I'd like the touch, especially seeing you can turn the page without using two hands.

You need to use two hands to turn a page on the kindle 3?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Junkenstein posted:

You need to use two hands to turn a page on the kindle 3?

Nope, but I thought you needed to do something like that on touch screen readers without physical page turn buttons. Sorry, I'm talking nonsense. Been a long day.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'll be keeping my Kindle 3 until it craps out, which I hope won't be anytime soon! It's great for what it is. :)

I've read about ~120 books on it since I've purchased it which was a few months ago.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

commish posted:

You really prefer that flashing to a millisecond of ghosting? That flashing is the single reason I refused to get an e-reader for a long time. Just annoying.

Really? How do you ever manage to read a real book with all that infernal page turning?

Seriously though, no it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Never did, and now I don't even notice it.

The ghosting though - I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but ghosting is when you do something that doesn't update the screen, like calling up the menu or a dictionary definition, and then when you get rid of it, there's like a smudgy faint after-image of it left on the screen, like some of the ink particles get stuck. It's not a millisecond, it's on the screen permanently until a full refresh happens. I think it looks really ugly.

The wiki page has an image of it although it's not a great example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E-ink_ghost.jpg

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

1) How do you guys read at night on a kindle? It doesn't light up right?

2) Is there DRM on the kindle? Like lets say I know a guy with some epub schoolbooks that save him hundreds of dollars a year, do the books HAVE to be either non licensed or purchased from Amazon?

Umph fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 29, 2011

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Umph posted:

1) How do you guys read at night on a kindle?

You point a light at it. What do you mean by 'is there drm'? Books you buy will probably be DRMed, but any drm-free pdf or whatever you put on it will work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Umph posted:

2) Is there DRM on the kindle? Like lets say I know a guy with some epub schoolbooks that save him hundreds of dollars a book...

1) Same way you would read a book at night. (or if you are a guy who doesn't mind throwing around some money, the lighted cover is AMAZING)

2) Don't really get what you mean by this one. The books you buy from Amazon's store do have DRM (like every other major online bookstore) but you can easily break the DRM.

The second part of that, as long as the epub files don't have DRM, you can convert them to MOBI format with Calibre. Even if it did, only thing you would have to do is break the DRM first before converting it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 29, 2011

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Glad to see Amazon's catching up to B+N's devices, competition is always a good thing. I really hope with the release of the tablet, Amazon's instant video gets a better selection from what it had when I gave Prime a try, I'm getting really sick of Netflix's practices. Anyway does anyone thing there's actually too many options for Kindles now? I think if I was just getting ready to make the entry into the e-reader world, without a frame of reference I wouldn't know whether to get the keyboard, touch, 3g or no 3g, or the tablet. I like how B+N keeps it simple; color or no color.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm happy I already got a Kindle recently, because all of these options would make my head spin.

Unrelated question: Does anyone actually own the white version? I've never seen anything but the graphite in the wild.

Umph posted:

2) Is there DRM on the kindle? Like lets say I know a guy with some epub schoolbooks that save him hundreds of dollars a year, do the books HAVE to be either non licensed or purchased from Amazon?

The kindle screen can't be back-lit because of the way it works. You can get a case with a book light on it or use a reading lamp.

Kindle wont read epubs, but if they don't have DRM they can be converted very easily to mobi using Calibre.

Edit: Beaten, repeatedly.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 29, 2011

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I suspect anyone who doesn't specifically need a keyboard or 3g will mash the button on the cheapest option they can see.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

chippy posted:

Really? How do you ever manage to read a real book with all that infernal page turning?

Seriously though, no it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Never did, and now I don't even notice it.

The ghosting though - I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but ghosting is when you do something that doesn't update the screen, like calling up the menu or a dictionary definition, and then when you get rid of it, there's like a smudgy faint after-image of it left on the screen, like some of the ink particles get stuck. It's not a millisecond, it's on the screen permanently until a full refresh happens. I think it looks really ugly.

The wiki page has an image of it although it's not a great example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E-ink_ghost.jpg

Oh, I haven't ever had that problem with my nook touch. That's why, to me, it never lasted more than a millisecond, if at all. Perhaps it's worse if you are looking at images instead of just text...

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well I'm not that impressed with what's being reported on the Fire. I guess the best thing about it will be Amazons customer service, but the price isn't all that cheap when you compare it to the other tablets that have extra functionality like HDMI, bluetooth and cameras (not that that's really important).

But expandable storage would have been good for movies and music and things.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stupid question, will you be able to transfer your own video files onto the Fire, or are you stuck with what you get from Amazon ?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah, I don't really get it either. It's a fairly generic droid tablet. If I was looking for one, Amazon's support might be a selling point on picking THAT one, but it's not amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because it's a tablet that costs only $200.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Part of it is because Amazon has the distribution/infrastructure to offer as much media as Apple in as tightly integrated and convenient a fashion, with a fairly slick user interface to access that media.

Now, you and I don't really care; our demographic is just going to root the thing as soon as we get it (assuming we do actually get it). This matters to the mass market, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Shouldn't the Fire discussion go to the tablet thread (and the plain Kindle discussion in the tablet thread go here I guess)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

trandorian posted:

Shouldn't the Fire discussion go to the tablet thread (and the plain Kindle discussion in the tablet thread go here I guess)?

Yeah, but the distinction between to the two are getting somewhat blurry. I don't think we're going to get nuts and bolts info on the Fire until much closer to the sale date. Ars Technica mentioned that Amazon were very cagey with it at the New York launch.

As Cicero said, some of us are going to be interested in its capabilities and expect plenty of words about that in the tablet thread come November.