Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I was once talking to someone about strange customs and I told them about the "arabic pee stone". Basically, I thought that I'd read about males in a certain Middle Eastern country carrying around small flat stones in their pockets that they used to dab on the end of their weiners after they'd had a piss, in order to remove the droplets of piss that would otherwise ruin their nice trousers. They said that I was making it up and I promised them it was true, only to go on the internet and find that I couldn't actually find any evidence of it happening. I can't remember where I read this fact in the first place and my internet research skills seem to be lacking so can anyone please tell me if this is a thing or if I've made it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you were going to do something like that, why not use an absorbent cloth instead of a stone that would just transfer the pee to your pocket lining?

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

My wife and I just moved about a month ago from a one-bedroom apartment with carpeting to a two-bedroom duplex with all wood flooring. Both of us have had some weird foot pains since moving in, which we first thought was just due to moving tons of boxes and furniture, but haven't subsided. Could it be that we haven't adapted to the wood flooring yet? Seems unlikely but I'm at a loss.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

My wife and I just moved about a month ago from a one-bedroom apartment with carpeting to a two-bedroom duplex with all wood flooring. Both of us have had some weird foot pains since moving in, which we first thought was just due to moving tons of boxes and furniture, but haven't subsided. Could it be that we haven't adapted to the wood flooring yet? Seems unlikely but I'm at a loss.

If I wear lovely shoes for an extended period of time I start to get discomfort in localized areas of my feet when walking barefoot. Probably just noticing it more without the carpet to pick up some of the slack of your feet being out of whack.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

PissFilledCumBubble posted:

Do you even stand on it that much? I wouldn't think that's an issue unless you're on your feet a lot in your duplex for some reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I had a package shipped from Amazon, and it said that it was delivered today around 2-ish. However, according to my family, there wasn't any package delivered (I haven't been back yet today). We don't normally get Fedex packages until the end of the day, is it possible that it's still on the truck or am I probably the victim of theft?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Both are possible, I've had a couple fedex packages before that were "delivered" hours before they actually arrived. If it's not there by the end of the day, call or email amazon, I've never had a problem with them resending a lost package for free.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xandu posted:

Both are possible, I've had a couple fedex packages before that were "delivered" hours before they actually arrived. If it's not there by the end of the day, call or email amazon, I've never had a problem with them resending a lost package for free.

Back when DHL was still around we had this happen all the time. They get penalized if overnight shipments don't arrive at a certain time, and drivers would forge signatures so this didn't happen. When they actually delivered the package, drivers would tell the customer that no signature was necessary.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I have a Facebook page, with several tabs I created using the Static HTML app. On October 1, Facebook is going to require all tabs/apps to have SSL certificates. Static HTML (the app) is already SSL-compliant, but that only applies to the code they host, not images, video, scripts, etc.

So, here are my dumb questions:

If I make my Web site (where I am grabbing all the images and stuff) SSL, am I going to have to then go through my entire Web site changing all the image links to "https"? Or can I buy the SSl certificate, just change the image links on my Facebook tabs to "https" and be done with it?

Also: I just realized the Open Graph image URLs on my Web pages won't be SSL, either, so I wonder if that will affect how the pages share on Facebook?

Also, I have a couple of pages that I created with FBML that still work fine (I know you can't create new FBML pages, but existing ones seem to have been grandfathered in). Would these pages need to have SSL images too? For some reason I thought they would be exempt, but now I can't remember why.

I know nothing about SSL in case you hadn't picked up on that.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Sizzlechest posted:

I noticed that radar jammers aren't illegal in my state nor the surrounding ones. Are they worth it?

Yes. There's a reason they're illegal most everywhere. Be prepared to be pulled over anyway, but they can't give you a ticket, although sometimes they will and they'll claim to have "visually estimated your speed", but that never holds up in court.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Smeep posted:

I have a Facebook page, with several tabs I created using the Static HTML app. On October 1, Facebook is going to require all tabs/apps to have SSL certificates. Static HTML (the app) is already SSL-compliant, but that only applies to the code they host, not images, video, scripts, etc.

So, here are my dumb questions:

If I make my Web site (where I am grabbing all the images and stuff) SSL, am I going to have to then go through my entire Web site changing all the image links to "https"? Or can I buy the SSl certificate, just change the image links on my Facebook tabs to "https" and be done with it?

Also: I just realized the Open Graph image URLs on my Web pages won't be SSL, either, so I wonder if that will affect how the pages share on Facebook?

Also, I have a couple of pages that I created with FBML that still work fine (I know you can't create new FBML pages, but existing ones seem to have been grandfathered in). Would these pages need to have SSL images too? For some reason I thought they would be exempt, but now I can't remember why.

I know nothing about SSL in case you hadn't picked up on that.

SSL is pretty much all handled by the server on one end, and the browser on the other; there's very little that you have to do to individual pages in order to make them "SSL Compliant".

How a standard webpage load works is that the browser gets the HTML file, then figures out what video/images/etc files it's going to need by parsing the HTML, then gets those. If you're on a http:// page, and try to grab some https:// data, everything's kosher there. If you're on a https:// page, and try to grab an image off of an http:// site, the browser's going to alert the user that the page has some non-secured resources on it. This ranges from displaying a frowny icon up in the url bar (chrome) to an obnoxious popup on every page load (IE6). You should generally try to pull only https:// resources for an https:// page.

I don't know exactly what FB Static HTML apps are, but if you're worried about having to change a bunch of text in a bunch of different html files, I'd recommend getting a text editor like Notepad++, which has a pretty decent "Find in Files..." search built-in. You can simply find "http://www.yoursite" and replace it with "https://www.yoursite" in all of the "*.html" files an entire directory.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just noticed last week that when I run my hands under the tap, the water feels a lot warmer in my right hand than in my left. Is this a sign that I'm on my computer too much?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

This should probably go in Games, but there's no thread like this one in Games and I didn't want to make a whole new thread for a dumb question:

I just recently started playing Assassin's Creed II on XBox and I was wondering - is there any way to get people to stop attacking me because I got caught picking their pocket at some point earlier in the game? I'm still on the early stages of the game in Florence and it gets really annoying having to book for the rooftops while just wandering around looking for treasure or something. The manual mentions being able to pay off officials and whatnot to "lower your notoriety", but I assume that's probably not something I can do until the "assassin" part of the game begins.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I live in apartment buildings with 4 apartments per floor, 3 floors. Apparently some of the other apartments have bed bugs. I just went and checked all over the place, in my bedding, in my couch (it's a futon with a cover, and it's white so I would imagine it would be easy to spot evidence of them), and I haven't found any bed bugs or evidence of them. However I _have_ noticed a couple (2-3) bug bites on my arms/legs, but I'm not sure if those are just like spider bites or some other bugs because it's fall and everything's moving indoors or what. I am super paranoid that they're bed bug bites but I seriously went apeshit checking and I don't think we have them (yet).

Should I be trying to find a new apartment as fast as I can, and if so, what should I do to make sure we don't end up taking any we might already have?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Encryptic posted:

This should probably go in Games, but there's no thread like this one in Games and I didn't want to make a whole new thread for a dumb question:

I just recently started playing Assassin's Creed II on XBox and I was wondering - is there any way to get people to stop attacking me because I got caught picking their pocket at some point earlier in the game? I'm still on the early stages of the game in Florence and it gets really annoying having to book for the rooftops while just wandering around looking for treasure or something. The manual mentions being able to pay off officials and whatnot to "lower your notoriety", but I assume that's probably not something I can do until the "assassin" part of the game begins.

You could also be at a part of the plot where you're shoehorned into being notorious. You really should just blow through the story for the first little bit, though. Once you get your hidden blade you'll be fine and if you invest money in your villa you will have so much cash you can literally run everywhere throwing money and be fine.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

You could also be at a part of the plot where you're shoehorned into being notorious. You really should just blow through the story for the first little bit, though. Once you get your hidden blade you'll be fine and if you invest money in your villa you will have so much cash you can literally run everywhere throwing money and be fine.

Yeah, that could be it. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Edit: Yeah, just got the assassin outfit and sword a minute ago. Woot.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 28, 2011

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

sighnoceros posted:

I live in apartment buildings with 4 apartments per floor, 3 floors. Apparently some of the other apartments have bed bugs. I just went and checked all over the place, in my bedding, in my couch (it's a futon with a cover, and it's white so I would imagine it would be easy to spot evidence of them), and I haven't found any bed bugs or evidence of them. However I _have_ noticed a couple (2-3) bug bites on my arms/legs, but I'm not sure if those are just like spider bites or some other bugs because it's fall and everything's moving indoors or what. I am super paranoid that they're bed bug bites but I seriously went apeshit checking and I don't think we have them (yet).

Should I be trying to find a new apartment as fast as I can, and if so, what should I do to make sure we don't end up taking any we might already have?

You're probably screwed.

Post in this thread.

edit: oh hey you already did, sorry

Randomity fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 28, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Law posted:

I just noticed last week that when I run my hands under the tap, the water feels a lot warmer in my right hand than in my left. Is this a sign that I'm on my computer too much?

This just means your right hand is colder, which is probably a result of it being up on a desk/surface and the left one being closer to your body.

There's an experiment you can try that demonstrates the weird phenomenon of different-temperature hands perceiving water temp differently: put one hand in a bowl of cold water and one in a bowl of hot. Then at the same time, plunge both into a bowl of lukewarm water. Each hand will perceive the lukewarm temperature differently - to one it'll feel hot, and to the other it'll feel cold. It's a bit of a mindfuck.

Anyway what I'm saying is, it's almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

spog posted:

I answered my own question after some googling.

purpleparking.co.uk charges GBP12 per day - which is equivalent to 3hrs parking in the short stay. http://tinyurl.com/2bw5lw However, it's at least 15mins each way, but quite possibly much longer, due to shite customer service, assuming that they don't take my car on a 250mile joyride.

http://www.airport-parking-shop.co.uk/heathrow/heathrow-purple-parking-review.html

I'll just have to take a pocketful of pound coins with me.

However, if anyone knows of a free place to park nearby for an hour beforehand, that would be great. I can then plan to get there early, just in case the traffic is bad.

I'd recommend parking in slough and getting either the 75/76 to terminals 1, 2, 3 or the 78 to terminal five. The journey is about twenty five minutes and would cost £4 for a return. Plus it'd be a drat sight easier to park in slough than anywhere near Heathrow proper.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Why do people abbreviate New Orleans to NOLA? Wouldn't NO work just fine?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wolfy posted:

Why do people abbreviate New Orleans to NOLA? Wouldn't NO work just fine?

Nola is a bit more pleasant to say out loud.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kimbo305 posted:

Nola is a bit more pleasant to say out loud.

Also it's a good alternate to "nawlins" for outsiders to use. I imagine being a resident of nola and hearing someone from like Wisconsin say they're "loving their time in nawlins!" is pretty horrible.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Former south Louisiana resident here. NOLA is usually used as the name of the whole urban area south of Lake Pontchartrain. New Orleans usually refers to the city proper, not including places like Chalmette and Kenner.

"Nawlins" is strictly for tourists. New Orleans is pronounced like "Or lens", unless you need it to rhyme with "leans" in a song. The city is located in Orleans Parish (Louisiana is divided into parishes rather than counties), and that Orleans is pronounced "or leans".

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Because I'm desperate, I've been trying to navigate News Corp's (yes, THAT News Corp's) clusterfuck of a job website for awhile now. But the thing that strikes me as odd is that they don't ask for any information other than your name, address, phone number, and EEO status. No resumes, no previous employment information, no nothing. They clearly have to know these things before contacting someone, so how do they do it? Should I have a resume on my phone in case they decide to hack it?

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Why don't magazines print all the page numbers? It's supremely annoying to look up a story in the table of contents, and then have to flip/count my way through the magazine to find the story. For instance, I was just looking at a National Geographic, and in the first 50 pages they only printed these numbers: 6, 11, 24, 35, 37, 39, 43.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
In the aftermath of 9/11, I stumbled upon a song on WinMX that was essentially Yesterday by the Beatles interspersed with uplifting quotes from various sources about the attacks.

Now and then I look for it somewhere but have had no success. Anyone know what I mean?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I want to start using more fresh herbs in cooking; however, I'm not sure what the best way to go about getting them would be. Would it be better for me to just buy them (where???) or grow them myself (where do I begin??).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there any significance to the rate at which an ethernet port "blinks" when it's plugged in? Like... can you tell anything from it like how many packets it's receiving or does it just blink at an arbitrary rate when it's receiving data?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

maverick99 posted:

I want to start using more fresh herbs in cooking; however, I'm not sure what the best way to go about getting them would be. Would it be better for me to just buy them (where???) or grow them myself (where do I begin??).

As for buying them, the veggie section at your local grocery store should have containers and bags of fresh herbs on the same cold shelves as the lettuce, spinach, etc.

As for growing them, depending on the season, it's not hard to find them in garden sections of stores (not sure how easy it'll be now) in those little plastic containers. Considering it's fall and not all herbs are super easy to keep, I'd recommend popping over to the refrigerated veggies at your local grocery and seeing what they've got.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

But the thing that strikes me as odd is that they don't ask for any information other than your name, address, phone number, and EEO status. No resumes, no previous employment information, no nothing. They clearly have to know these things before contacting someone, so how do they do it?

Why do they need to know that stuff before contacting you? They could call up and give you a quick screening interview.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

the posted:

Is there any significance to the rate at which an ethernet port "blinks" when it's plugged in? Like... can you tell anything from it like how many packets it's receiving or does it just blink at an arbitrary rate when it's receiving data?

It depends on whoever manufactured the port; as far as I know, there's no standard which defines what "blinks" mean. I know on some devices, the light literally mirrors the signal on the wire: it's on when a 1 is being transmitted, and off when a 0 is being transmitted. (Or there's no transmission.) This would mean that steady-on would mean that a whole lot of data is being transmitted; your eyes can't register the rate at which the light switches on and off, and it just looks half as bright. If you can actually see it turning on and off, that means that the computer is sending something, waiting, sending something, waiting, etc.

Other devices I've seen just blink at a steady rate while working, and do nothing while not working. I've even seen devices that use morse code to signal a particular status condition. If you've ever heard your computer (not speakers, but computer itself) make a series of beeps when you turn it on, that's what's going on: the BIOS is (usually) reporting "everything's okay!"

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 29, 2011

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

maverick99 posted:

Growing them takes time and space (been there, done that), mostly if you want to use it extensively (every meal you cook). If you live on an apartment, forget it, you need to have a nice open space to maintain a steady supply.

You can easily buy herbs on major market chains (Safeway, Trader's Joe, Whole Foods, etc) and most definitely on local grocery (look for where local farmers sell their goods).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Because I'm desperate, I've been trying to navigate News Corp's (yes, THAT News Corp's) clusterfuck of a job website for awhile now. But the thing that strikes me as odd is that they don't ask for any information other than your name, address, phone number, and EEO status. No resumes, no previous employment information, no nothing. They clearly have to know these things before contacting someone, so how do they do it? Should I have a resume on my phone in case they decide to hack it?

What's your web presence like? If I were them I'd rather Google people than wade through what must be mountains of resumes of communications majors bullshitting about their internship at KKKY Louisville.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

maverick99 posted:

Plant chives. They will never loving die. Ever. And they're awesome in everything.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Whoa, I come back and I have all of this nicy herby info! Thanks guys!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Rhizoid posted:

Plant chives. They will never loving die. Ever. And they're awesome in everything.

I have to second this. There's a chive patch in the backyard that's been there for thirteen years. It grew from a clump 200 kilometers away that we uprooted and stuck in a box. We don't water it or anything anymore... it's just there, every spring. Put them in your potatoes!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Gravity Pike posted:

It depends on whoever manufactured the port; as far as I know, there's no standard which defines what "blinks" mean. I know on some devices, the light literally mirrors the signal on the wire: it's on when a 1 is being transmitted, and off when a 0 is being transmitted. (Or there's no transmission.) This would mean that steady-on would mean that a whole lot of data is being transmitted; your eyes can't register the rate at which the light switches on and off, and it just looks half as bright. If you can actually see it turning on and off, that means that the computer is sending something, waiting, sending something, waiting, etc.

Other devices I've seen just blink at a steady rate while working, and do nothing while not working. I've even seen devices that use morse code to signal a particular status condition. If you've ever heard your computer (not speakers, but computer itself) make a series of beeps when you turn it on, that's what's going on: the BIOS is (usually) reporting "everything's okay!"

I was told it was a simple algorithm of Ethernet frames v time long ago. No idea if it was true.

Basically if one frame went through the port it would very slightly blink, as the frames v time increased it would blink faster gradually almost but never reaching a full "on" state.

I think it was some low level cisco tac guy who told me this but it seemed plausible.

E: Fresh herbs: Even in a apartment kitchen window you can grow a bunch for next to nothing.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 29, 2011

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I read some time back that Andy Warhol was a huge fan of game shows and would regularly record them on early recording devices such as U-Matic and/or possibly some sort of home reel-to-reel helical scan tape. It's because of his recordings that many episodes of certain game shows only exist due to the nature of wiping by the networks that held the original master tapes. From what I remember, I believe the recordings were said to be pristine and drat near master quality complete with commercials, and could be seen at the Paley Center for Media.

So two questions: what home device would he have had to record at such "pristine" quality in the 70s? I don't think it's VHS, because it was decent enough at the time for analog tube sets, but nowhere near master quality. Betamax is a little better, but still on the same boat. I'm thinking some monster reel-to-reel machine similar to a studio would get those results. Second question: when Andy died, did someone Andy trusted just donate his home recording to the Paley Center knowing they existed, or did some people go into his home, scrounge around, find some tapes laying around and say "ye gods, what have we here?" How does a donation like that work?

I think it's actually kind of cool that Andy Warhol unknowingly preserved some daytime game shows that would otherwise not exist anymore, and that there's a personal collection of his recordings at the Paley Center.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Experto Crede posted:

In the aftermath of 9/11, I stumbled upon a song on WinMX that was essentially Yesterday by the Beatles interspersed with uplifting quotes from various sources about the attacks.

Now and then I look for it somewhere but have had no success. Anyone know what I mean?
There's this WTC tribute set to Yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxm9JLtcTfE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If possible contact the mechant to dispute the charge first.

If that doesn't work call the card issuer and they will file a dispute over the phone most likely. Then they go back tot he merchant and allow them to provide proof.

I ordered a subscription to a website via Paypal. I cancelled reoccurring billing and tried to cancel with paypal but when I log in it says no transaction history. But I am being billed each month anyways. The website has ignored my calls and emails.