Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

daggerdragon posted:

Okay, I need a little help. I've been trying since yesterday to pick up Harry's shopping list in Book 1 Chapter 5 Moment 1. I can zoom in, find it, click on it, "Collect", and it says "This item is in your trunk", but it isn't, no matter how many times I check my trunk, refresh the page, and go "Collect" it again, only to have the same thing happen.

WHY WON'T IT WORK :saddowns:

When I picked it up it remained as a sort of pull-down tab at the upper right of the Diagon Alley image. I don't remember it saying that it was in my trunk, but admittedly, I was rushing a bit because it took me a long time to realize that I had to zoom the image to find a shopping list in the first place.

I haven't been able to get on the site for almost 2 days though

Pottermore posted:

Due to high levels of demand, we are currently restricting access to Pottermore. Please come back and try again later.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

daggerdragon posted:

But, but, but :smith:

Maybe you can marry a drill salesman :)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You're not!

They sent out an email to everyone who signed up who had yet to get one today. So a ton of new people are trying it out.

I was about to say you were wrong, when I checked my email and found out that I got in two days ago.

...aaand, it's still down :smith:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

cocoavalley posted:

:(

That's the best. There's a overloaded message to load the main page, then there's a completely different one on the login page.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Paragon8 posted:

It's probably a bit too much to hope for but I'd love it if Pottermore had different tracks for it as well as Harry's - like Tom Riddle or James Potter

Now that you mention it, I'm kinda bummed they didn't do this in the first place. Better yet, if Rowling had written an entirely new story for Pottermore set after Harry's escapades... :allears:

A track that follows Tom Riddle would be amazing, though, if only to find out how he made his Horcruxes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Glenn posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm kinda bummed they didn't do this in the first place. Better yet, if Rowling had written an entirely new story for Pottermore set after Harry's escapades... :allears:

A track that follows Tom Riddle would be amazing, though, if only to find out how he made his Horcruxes.

How? He killed people.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wasn't there something about the specifics of it? Like JK Rowling said that she had how it actually worked planned out in her mind and she explained it to her editor who then puked or something because it was so gross? I read that on here and some other places, always assumed it was bullshit to be honest.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Glenn posted:

We, uh, already saw how he made most of his horcruxes. Myrtle fuelled the diary, his father and grandparents the Ring, the old gatekeeper Nagini, the woman with Hufflepuff's cup made that one, Harry's parents fueled Harry, and I can't remember if we explicitly saw the murders that fueled Ravenclaw's Diadem and the Locket but we saw at least 5/7 happen on-screen in some form already.

After the murder it looks like the receptacle just has to be nearby, and it can't require anything special because he managed to make one accidently.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Zore posted:

We, uh, already saw how he made most of his horcruxes. Myrtle fuelled the diary, his father and grandparents the Ring, the old gatekeeper Nagini, the woman with Hufflepuff's cup made that one, Harry's parents fueled Harry, and I can't remember if we explicitly saw the murders that fueled Ravenclaw's Diadem and the Locket but we saw at least 5/7 happen on-screen in some form already.

After the murder it looks like the receptacle just has to be nearby, and it can't require anything special because he managed to make one accidently.

No, there's a step missing after the murder that takes advantage of the tearing of your soul before placing the piece of it into what becomes the horcrux.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I got my invite a few days ago but have not been able to log in since playing around for about 20 minutes the first time I had access. Is this a problem everyone is having?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

geeves posted:

No, there's a step missing after the murder that takes advantage of the tearing of your soul before placing the piece of it into what becomes the horcrux.

However, for some reason it was not needed for Harry

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Glenn posted:

Yeah, I don't think JK is ever going to reveal the way to make a Horcrux after killing a person. She has said numerous times it kind of freaks her out.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It's supposed to be in the eventual encyclopedia: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Horcrux#Behind_the_scenes

I'm guessing that the "horrific act" involves using the corpse in some manner, maybe gutting the corpse and burying the object for a while in the viscera? It would fit with why Harry was made into one accidentally (he was inside Lily for 9 months) and it would explain why people didn't just tie their soul fragments to the planet or even just a mountain range or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Algid posted:

It's supposed to be in the eventual encyclopedia: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Horcrux#Behind_the_scenes

I'm guessing that the "horrific act" involves using the corpse in some manner, maybe gutting the corpse and burying the object for a while in the viscera? It would fit with why Harry was made into one accidentally (he was inside Lily for 9 months) and it would explain why people didn't just tie their soul fragments to the planet or even just a mountain range or something.

Do not think so since its mentioned that the bodies have no damage to them, unless magic them then repair the body.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

bobkatt013 posted:

Harry isn't a Horcrux in the traditional sense because Voldemort didn't intentionally make him into a Horcrux. When the Killing Curse he aimed at baby Harry backfired, Voldemort's soul was already so unstable that it automatically split and a piece of it latched onto Harry.

The circumstances were unusual. The entire, correct process to create a Horcrux did not need to be carried out in this case.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, I don't think JK is ever going to reveal the way to make a Horcrux after killing a person. She has said numerous times it kind of freaks her out.
I really liked the whole Horcrux bit, so this is a bummer if true. :(

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not think so since its mentioned that the bodies have no damage to them, unless magic them then repair the body.
Yeah, that's the major problem with the idea, he would have needed to kill a whole bunch of other people we don't know about for that to fit. Then again I was under the impression that the killings were supposed to be personal, and for Myrtle at least, that doesn't seem to be the case. I just don't really see what non-magical thing he's supposed to do that's supposed to be so horrific (since the spell is another component), he already killed someone, is he supposed to sodomize the corpse or something?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Myrtle may not have been personal to him, but killing his first (muggle-born?) person with the proof that he was the heir of Slytherin would have been a pretty triumphant moment for him.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

That's true. I always accepted that Voldemort's soul was so unstable that it just ripped itself in two since the spell rebounded - one part fled to Albania, the other into the nearest living thing - Harry.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That encyclopedia needs to come out soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

geeves posted:

That's true. I always accepted that Voldemort's soul was so unstable that it just ripped itself in two since the spell rebounded - one part fled to Albania, the other into the nearest living thing - Harry.

Ya that is the way it was I was just pointing out that the ritual did not apply to Harry.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Myrtle may not have been personal to him, but killing his first (muggle-born?) person with the proof that he was the heir of Slytherin would have been a pretty triumphant moment for him.
I meant personal as in directly (by his own hand so to speak), not personal as in the killing having personal significance. Not that either case is ever explicitly stated as a requirement. I just assumed that if the soul splitting is supposed to happened because murder is evil, is using proxies to kill someone evil enough? He's responsible for the basilisk being loose, but it's not clear that he specifically commanded it to kill Myrtle, all we know is that she was right on top on the entrance.

Then we get into how parseltongue might work and whether snakes are sentient or if the wizard is just somehow temporarily imprinting their mind on the snake and talking to himself or something, which is just making things way too complicated for a series of books about wizard people written for children.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Algid posted:

I meant personal as in directly (by his own hand so to speak), not personal as in the killing having personal significance. Not that either case is ever explicitly stated as a requirement. I just assumed that if the soul splitting is supposed to happened because murder is evil, is using proxies to kill someone evil enough? He's responsible for the basilisk being loose, but it's not clear that he specifically commanded it to kill Myrtle, all we know is that she was right on top on the entrance.

Then we get into how parseltongue might work and whether snakes are sentient or if the wizard is just somehow temporarily imprinting their mind on the snake and talking to himself or something, which is just making things way too complicated for a series of books about wizard people written for children.

Ya it had two things that were important for him. It showed that he was the heir of Slytherin and he commanded it to kill.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Algid posted:

way too complicated for a series of books about wizard people written for children.

Now I'm not arguing that they aren't childrens books, cause they are. But I like to think that the books matured with the readers. The first book came out in 1997. Say you were 10 when you read it. That book kinda fits that age. When Deathly Hallows came out in 2007, you would be 20. The books gained more adult themes as they progressed, which I like to think mirrored the readers that had been around since book 1 growing up.

Kids reading the series for the first time now really gently caress up my idea though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Protip: ingredients are used up for potions even if you never even touch them before you mess up the brewing process. Also the game can be really finicky about when it reads your input, so it's easy to overheat potions if you don't click the right spot in time.

Bye bye, 21G unicorn horn and 10G bezoar :smith:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 29, 2011

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Apparently you get new galleons every time you start a new book. So once the full website is out you shouldn't have a problem with money as long as you progress in the game. I still have over 300g left and I've been buying a lot of things (including multiple cauldrons cause apparently they can blow up :argh:)

Which makes me wonder, once it opens up and anyone can register, what stops people from registering multiple times, getting in multiple houses, and purposely blowing up cauldrons to lose house points? Now I think that's too much effort, but there's gotta be some crazy people who would do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really pleased they never detailed the exact process of HOW a Horcrux is made, I think it would have been a mistake to have them find out or get exposition from Voldemort about it. I feel like it worked far better as a mystery, with the knowledge that everybody involved in magic (including in the Dark Arts it seemed) looked upon it with revulsion.... and then along comes Voldemort who not only does it, but sets out to do it 7 times.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Now I'm not arguing that they aren't childrens books, cause they are. But I like to think that the books matured with the readers. The first book came out in 1997. Say you were 10 when you read it. That book kinda fits that age. When Deathly Hallows came out in 2007, you would be 20. The books gained more adult themes as they progressed, which I like to think mirrored the readers that had been around since book 1 growing up.

Kids reading the series for the first time now really gently caress up my idea though.
It did "mature" but I don't really think of it as an improvement, the earlier books worked better because they were clearly children's books. I just meant that Rowling was pretty terrible when it comes to consistency and world building, which is why I try not to think too hard about talking snakes. Her magic system is fantastical, which is great for a series of children's books, not so great when there's glaring holes in how people conducted war (I think one thing that was mentioned earlier in the thread was how Voldemort flew around everywhere in DH for some reason, when nearly every wizard can teleport).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Flying around is probably better tactically than teleporting, FWIW. She even wrote it in that way, what with splinching and everything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

arioch posted:

Flying around is probably better tactically than teleporting, FWIW. She even wrote it in that way, what with splinching and everything.

Also he was flying long distances.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You also can't teleport everywhere. Plus I'm guessing it adds to his fear factor. Seeing a large black smoke cloud thing fly across the sky terrifies everyone who sees it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also he was the only one who could fly and he was all about being different from everyone else.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Also he was the only one who could fly and he was all about being different from everyone else.

I really hated in the movies that they seemed to give other Death Eaters the ability to fly. Like when the guard was taking Harry away from Privet Drive in Deathly Hallows pt 1.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I really hated in the movies that they seemed to give other Death Eaters the ability to fly. Like when the guard was taking Harry away from Privet Drive in Deathly Hallows pt 1.

Still, relatively few of them seemed to be able to do it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah but the book seemed to make a big deal out of the fact that "oh yeah, he can fly". Just a stupid pet peeve I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

arioch posted:

Still, relatively few of them seemed to be able to do it.

Basically everyone could do it in the movies because they turned Apparition into some weird smoke-flight that had everyone turn into color-coded smoke monsters that smashed into each other as they flew for the last four movies.

I'm not sure what you call the battle at the Department of Mysteries for example but a bunch of people flying into each other in smoke form.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Regarding the method of making horcruxes, here are my thoughts.

I always assumed that the magical bits were done before the murder (thus explaining how Harry can be a horcrux). I imagine it's some sort of gruesome ritual that "prepares" your soul for controlled splitting*. Then, when you commit the murder, your soul splits in a nice orderly fashion and you somehow direct the fragment into an object (possibly involving more ritual). This explains what happened with Harry - Voldemort "expended" his controlled-soul-split, but since the killing curse backfired and he wasn't able to direct the soul fragment into an object, it ended up in Harry (possibly because he was the last thing Voldemort's wand was pointing at, or something like that).

I don't have a lot of evidence for this model of horcrux making, but that's what I've come up with to fit the fact that Harry is a horcrux.

*if it supposedly made JKR's editor want to vomit, I assume it's something gory, probably involving self-mutilation, as the only other vomit-inducing things I can think of are scatological and/or sexual in nature and I can't imagine those being a good thematic fit.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Ok now that the site is working I am finding it enjoyable. i got my wand:

FIR WITH PHOENIX FEATHER CORE, THIRTEEN AND THREE QUARTER INCHES, UNYIELDING

Time to move on

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DontMockMySmock posted:

*if it supposedly made JKR's editor want to vomit, I assume it's something gory, probably involving self-mutilation, as the only other vomit-inducing things I can think of are scatological and/or sexual in nature and I can't imagine those being a good thematic fit.

The vomit thing was actually from Goblet of Fire, when JK explained how Pettigrew gave Voldemort the child sized body he had.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

So I ended up with a second account (one that I thought had failed - never got the initial welcome email). Got nearly the same questions (wrote them and answers down), answered completely differently and was still put into goddamn Gryffindor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

geeves posted:

So I ended up with a second account (one that I thought had failed - never got the initial welcome email). Got nearly the same questions (wrote them and answers down), answered completely differently and was still put into goddamn Gryffindor.

It would be disappointing but not surprising if the sorting is rigged, especially since the house numbers seem to be nearly the same:

Gryffindor: 138,061
Ravenclaw: 138,606 (someone's head will roll for this, probably)
Hufflepuff: 138,039
Slytherin: 138,035

Would it have been that hard to make the sorting like any one of those awful magazine quizzes, or were they just worried that the numbers would be really unequal?

• Locked thread