Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

AzMiLion posted:

(i live in a 4x4 room)

I hope this is metric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

toaster_pastry posted:

I hope this is metric

I hope it's a regular room, but truck themed.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

toaster_pastry posted:

I hope this is metric

no, studs.
Yeah it's metric, student housing, sharing a bathroom and a kitchen with like 10 other people. I'll post some of my stuff once I get back home. gotta work now.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

pbpancho posted:

Hey, I'm one of the TWINLUG guys! I don't use all that many plates on my bases, just enough to get the 16x16 top and then leave it open on the bottom or use bricks for support. As long as it's 16x16 you're good to go! I've even used solid brick over one layer of plates to make the water for my submarine MOC

Nuke sub in Micropolis by pbpancho, on Flickr

EDIT: 8x8 plates are pretty reasonable on bricklink and are the easiest way to make the bases. We were going to order several hundred on LUGBULK but they weren't available :(

Also, weighed my collection today when I moved, I have ~400lbs of Lego... I have a problem.
Besides the obvious love for the steam trail on the Missile, I love that hovercraft in the background

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I apparently discovered the LDD again last night around 1am.

What the hell did I make? I can't work out what it's supposed to be.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Luminaflare posted:

I apparently discovered the LDD again last night around 1am.

What the hell did I make? I can't work out what it's supposed to be.

That's a Starscream, obviously.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Time Lapse of a Ford Explorer being built from LEGO

Article
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/26/ford-debuts-full-size-lego-model-of-explorer-at-chicago-plant-w/

edit: Seems I fail at embedding video

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Crane posted:

Besides the obvious love for the steam trail on the Missile, I love that hovercraft in the background

Seconding this, I also really love the waves spreading out from the sub.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

As Promised

Some images from the first MOC's I did in years, It's 2 small freighters and 2 modular space freighters.

This is the freighter I started out with(2 versions)
These two were inspired by the Octan colour scheme.

2 container per wagon

6 container per wagon

The big freighters.
The first image containing the cockpit, adapter, cargo, ship bay and engine modules.

Big freighter

Small freighter with loader

Blacktron inspired police corvette

Loader deployed and dragging a container around

Feedback would be nice, i know it's not the greatest thing ever but I think i did pretty good on these.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Makes me want to play X-Wing or TIE Fighter.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Crane posted:

Welp, now I know what I'm going to do with that red raft from Off Road Fire Truck.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

AzMiLion posted:

Blacktron inspired police corvette

I would love to make a minifig scale version of this! I wish I had the parts handy.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

AzMiLion posted:

As Promised

Some images from the first MOC's I did in years, It's 2 small freighters and 2 modular space freighters.

Feedback would be nice, i know it's not the greatest thing ever but I think i did pretty good on these.

Love them! My favorite is the one with the triangular container arrangement. Space freight is my favorite kind of space.

I might make a suggestion for future projects to mix up the container colors, especially if you're thinking of them like earth-bound intermodal containers. They're usually quite the hodgepodge.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Crane posted:

Thanks! I was out of parts for module bases for a while so I had to think outside the box. Now all my lego is boxed up in the closet post-move. I'll get it back out eventually but moving all this stuff is a bitch with a broken ankle.

Here's what ~400lbs of Lego looks like. In the first photo the bins go all the way to the back

pbpancho fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 27, 2011

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
drat this thread.

So last night I made the first MOC since I was a kid.

Tada...

I wanted to make a one man craft with a nice sense of scale, turned out ok I think.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 27, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pbpancho posted:

Who's the stud (ha!) helping you? :allears:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Love them! My favorite is the one with the triangular container arrangement. Space freight is my favorite kind of space.

I might make a suggestion for future projects to mix up the container colors, especially if you're thinking of them like earth-bound intermodal containers. They're usually quite the hodgepodge.

Thanks, I'll mix em up a bit later see how it looks :) I still need to make a couple of other modules for the ship anyway, mostly fuel tanks.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

pbpancho posted:

Thanks! I was out of parts for module bases for a while so I had to think outside the box. Now all my lego is boxed up in the closet post-move. I'll get it back out eventually but moving all this stuff is a bitch with a broken ankle.

Here's what ~400lbs of Lego looks like. In the first photo the bins go all the way to the back

There's got to be more to it than that because I've got ~100lb or so and it takes up that much space. :colbert:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well, we did just weight it on a bathroom scale placed on carpet, so it may be off by a little. Or a lot. We were in a bit of a hurry.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats the best way to buy a big tub of lego for my younger brother? I dont care about having specific parts, just a good variety of colors and parts.

I would rather not go hunting in garage sales, but used is ok

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

Whats the best way to buy a big tub of lego for my younger brother? I dont care about having specific parts, just a good variety of colors and parts.

I would rather not go hunting in garage sales, but used is ok

If you just want generic big tub of parts, eBay is good. Shop around and limit your bids and you can definitely get random parts in the $5-7/lb range.

Alternatively, Goodwill has an auction site. Same deal, slightly less competition than eBay. Sometimes, anyway.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Fauxtool posted:

Echoing that eBay can be good for this, but look for lots that show the parts laid out rather than just a picture of a boxful. You will get more competition this way, but it makes sure that you don't end up with half a box of non-Lego brands (or even completely non-Lego toys in some cases).

One seller I bought from (in the UK) not only had the parts laid out, but put a complete inventory in the description. I ended up paying £12.50 for a lot of 500 parts, and he had enough separate lots that they weren't all attracting bids, I could have got one or two more at that price if I'd wanted to.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I got something in the mail about my Lego VIP membership, and oh snap, I can get into Legoland Florida for free! It's for a week in October, and while I was going to try to avoid the initial rush, I guess I can't pass this up.

VIP members can get in free from October 24-30 to either Florida or California. You can also get $10 off for whoever comes with you.

Speaking of Legoland, this thing is gonna be coming to Florida:

It weights over a ton.

Torael_7 posted:

Alternatively, Goodwill has an auction site. Same deal, slightly less competition than eBay. Sometimes, anyway.

Yeah, Shop Goodwill is good. I've gotten at least one bulk collection there.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Revol posted:

I got something in the mail about my Lego VIP membership, and oh snap, I can get into Legoland Florida for free! It's for a week in October, and while I was going to try to avoid the initial rush, I guess I can't pass this up.

VIP members can get in free from October 24-30 to either Florida or California. You can also get $10 off for whoever comes with you.

Hope you already got the voucher, because I just got an e-mail saying it was so popular it's sold out:

LEGO VIP Program posted:

Dear LEGO® VIP Member,
We hope you received your LEGO VIP Program Gift Ideas Catalog.
You may see that it also contains details regarding a Free Entry Offer to the LEGOLAND® parks in California and Florida. However, due to the huge popularity of this offer, it sold out faster than we anticipated, and the promotion has now concluded. Therefore, vouchers for the free tickets are no longer available.
We are currently working on some new, exclusive benefits for our LEGO VIP Members, and will keep you posted regarding these exciting new developments so that you don't miss out!
Thanks again for the tremendous response to the Free Entry Offer, and keep an eye out for the new and exciting benefits we will have for you in the coming months.
Sincerely,
The VIP Team

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

More:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andertoons-cartoons/

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Oh man, a Bat Segway, too. I have the tendency to get absorbed in detail and realism too much, I think. Sometimes it's all about the simple ideas. He takes really good photos, too, so that helps.

jp82729
Sep 5, 2003

Just saw this on brothers brick...amazing

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/onelug/6192618745/

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

jp82729 posted:

Things like this make me want to just turn around and sell my lego, because I will never make something this awesome. :(

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Torael_7 posted:

Things like this make me want to just turn around and sell my lego, because I will never make something this awesome. :(

Aaaaaaahhhh there's a teeny little Saruman in there!

SubbyMinx
Dec 30, 2009

jp82729 posted:

There's an MOC card for this on the BrickCon website. Meaning I will be seeing it in person this weekend! *excited* I'm headed up to Seattle in a matter of hours, and I will be taking so many photos... I promise to share some with you guys when I'm back. I just wish I'd had the time/money to make something to take with me, myself. *sigh*

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Anyone else going to Indy this weekend?

I'm loving this guy's "ski-fi" series too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25163007@N07/

Notice the cheesecake nose art on some of them...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

For?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Saint Sputnik posted:

Oh those are great! I love alternate-30s planes like that. Some fantastic designs there.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Saint Sputnik posted:

Those planes are cool, very Crimson Skies.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

djfooboo posted:

For?

Whoops, I meant the other Indiana city, Ft Wayne. Brickworld.

AzMiLion posted:

Those planes are cool, very Crimson Skies.

That's the game I was trying to think of. Propellers to blow on add a ton to swooshability.

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics
Just saw this posted on Engadget: LEGO is releasing a new game called Life of George where you use kit pieces to recreate a picture they give you, then take a picture of your solution on an iOS device and it grades you based on accuracy and time. $30, available to buy in two days.

Video of it here: http://techland.time.com/2011/09/29/lego-meet-iphone-life-of-george-uses-ios-to-judge-building-skills/

Release date mentioned in press release here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/29/life-of-george-melds-legos-with-ios-for-digital-to-physical-ga/

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kabong posted:

Just saw this posted on Engadget: LEGO is releasing a new game called Life of George where you use kit pieces to recreate a picture they give you, then take a picture of your solution on an iOS device and it grades you based on accuracy and time. $30, available to buy in two days.

Video of it here: http://techland.time.com/2011/09/29/lego-meet-iphone-life-of-george-uses-ios-to-judge-building-skills/

Release date mentioned in press release here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/29/life-of-george-melds-legos-with-ios-for-digital-to-physical-ga/

Looks pretty boring. All the models are really simple and there's only like 70 models in the game

Kabong
Jan 1, 2001

Kickin' Afrolistics

Sockser posted:

Looks pretty boring. All the models are really simple and there's only like 70 models in the game

The teaser video indicates that you can build your own models and save them into the game somehow. For $30, I think it's neat to see them innovating in this direction.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

Whoops, I meant the other Indiana city, Ft Wayne. Brickworld.

I'm going with the wife and kid. Maker's Faire is the same weekend and I have an AutoCAD quiz so I'm not really sure on the scheduling.

I'm hoping the event turns into something, because I drive to Chicago and Indy enough as it is. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Sockser posted:

Except there's 120 models (12 levels, 10 models per level), plus a multiplayer, plus you can make models from existing pictures.