Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bronson17 posted:

Hoping somebody could help me out with a roller hockey question (I could've sworn there was a dedicated thread at one point but I couldn't find it anywhere in SAS, so I apologize if I missed it). I want to get a pair of skates, preferably Missions since that's what I used to have and I liked them. My problem is that I haven't been able to find a nearby skate shop to actually try them on, so I'm gonna likely have to order online. My shoe size is a 13, and my hockey skates are an 11.5 or a 12, but after googling some sizing charts it seems a size 13 shoe would be comparable to a size 13 Mission - not what I expected given how regular hockey skates tend to fit.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with the brand who can tell me what type of fit to expect (i.e. will a 13 mission fit my 13 foot), or even if I should be looking at another brand? Haven't played roller in forever so I'm pretty ignorant as to what's good these days.

Huge thanks to anybody that can help.

any (good) online hockey shop has a sizing guide.

This one was taken from inlinewarehouse:
Mission senior skates generally fit 1.5 sizes down from your shoe size. For example, if wearing a US 8.0, you would generally wear a size 6.5 Mission skate. So for your size 13 you should aim for an 11.5 in mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Signed up as a free agent in a Sunday league for the fall/winter whatever session this is.

Got a call tonight from my team captain that our first game is tomorrow, a Thursday.

I'm equal parts pissed and excited.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You are me last week, same exact timeframe. The dread and excitement is awesome :allears:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
First ice game for both of you?

bronson17
Dec 18, 2003

No dice.

trilljester posted:

This is the dedicated roller and ice hockey thread.

when I played roller, I wore Mission skates and I wore a 9D skate. I wear a 10.5 shoe. I hope that helps. Places like Inlinewarehouse.com usually have a skate return policy, so if you order from them and the skates don't fit, you don't have to worry about being out a bunch of money.

Just make sure you bake them once you get them. That will really help mold them to your feet.

Thanks for the help (lazerwolf too). I'd noticed that some charts said 13=13 and some that said 11.5, but if you've got personal experience I think that's about as reliable as I could ask for.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
My mission inlines are a 9 and I normally wear a 10.5 shoe, so theres some more data for the next graph.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
nah, roller here. i've been doing some subbing for this team last season and lots of drop in on Saturdays, but haven't been a regular in a league in a few years and haven't been to drop in for 3 weeks now.

i will of course let everyone know how terrible i do :D

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

cenzo posted:

nah, roller here. i've been doing some subbing for this team last season and lots of drop in on Saturdays, but haven't been a regular in a league in a few years and haven't been to drop in for 3 weeks now.

i will of course let everyone know how terrible i do :D

Don't worry how you do, just have fun. That's the whole point!

Speaking of fun, I'm subbing tonight, puck drops at 11:15. And to top it off, the captain told me he needs me playing D. I hate playing D with a passion, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

bronson17 posted:

Hoping somebody could help me out with a roller hockey question (I could've sworn there was a dedicated thread at one point but I couldn't find it anywhere in SAS, so I apologize if I missed it). I want to get a pair of skates, preferably Missions since that's what I used to have and I liked them. My problem is that I haven't been able to find a nearby skate shop to actually try them on, so I'm gonna likely have to order online. My shoe size is a 13, and my hockey skates are an 11.5 or a 12, but after googling some sizing charts it seems a size 13 shoe would be comparable to a size 13 Mission - not what I expected given how regular hockey skates tend to fit.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with the brand who can tell me what type of fit to expect (i.e. will a 13 mission fit my 13 foot), or even if I should be looking at another brand? Haven't played roller in forever so I'm pretty ignorant as to what's good these days.

Huge thanks to anybody that can help.

One thing to keep in mind is that Misson skates pretty much all have a very short boot, so make sure your ankles are ready for that.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
5'7 and I wear bauer 14''s over entire boot of the skate at the bottom cuz they're a little too big for me. I tape the gently caress out of them to make sure they stay in place. if I tuck them in the skate the skate doesnt feel right/tight enough.

also fall season starts this saturday. i have skated/practiced shooting all of once since our last game which was in august. hooray for staying in shape

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

toxicsunset posted:

5'7 and I wear bauer 14''s over entire boot of the skate at the bottom cuz they're a little too big for me. I tape the gently caress out of them to make sure they stay in place. if I tuck them in the skate the skate doesnt feel right/tight enough.

also fall season starts this saturday. i have skated/practiced shooting all of once since our last game which was in august. hooray for staying in shape

Tell me about it. Ater playing 3-4 times a week for 25 years, I have not even SKATED since May. I'm going to have a damned heart attack and calf cramps from hell once I can afford new skates (or tongues) this winter. I MISS HOCKKKKEYYYY :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

gently caress, we had a pretty even game but lost 2-1 off two poo poo bounces in front of the net, the winner with 18 seconds left in the game. Our goalie was insane to keep us in it.

At least I was +/-0 instead of -4 like last game. So tired now.

All of my passes feel so weak, I think I'm using too much of the toe of my stick so it tends to flip up rather than get the bullet I want. I was using an open curve for the first bit as defence, then switched to a closed curve and higher (lower? more stiff, whatever) flex stick and that helped a bit.

Some upper body strength would help, too :haw: Way too out of shape right now.

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld
jeez it's been a long time. In case any of you care, the team I'm playing in, we won our div during the summmer (lowest div though). This winter season is my transition from Forward to Defense. I'm doing pretty good.

I'm doing some upgrading with my gear. I'm thinking I'll go with the Reebok 9K elbow pads and shoulder guards. My main concern is that I want shoulder pads that are low profile.

I'm planning on getting some new gloves. I've got an old pair of Bauer gloves, and my buddy swears by EAGLE PPF gloves. I'm thinking of getting my gear off hockeymonkey.com and my price range is about $100-$150.

What do you guys think?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I finally have my first game of the season coming up this sunday night. I'm equally exciting and nervous because I don't want to be so terrible that my teammates are annoyed that I'm on the team. Some close friends are on the team and the rest are in my tiny faculty so I know most of the guys that I'm playing with, but still...

We're in Tier 2 which is the shittier of the 2 leagues. Anyone have any advice for what what I should be thinking/doing in my very first ever ice hockey game where I'm a lovely skater that can only stop one way and just learned crossovers 2 weeks ago?

I'm a forward.

P.S. 5'7 13" Bauer

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Alizee posted:

I finally have my first game of the season coming up this sunday night. I'm equally exciting and nervous because I don't want to be so terrible that my teammates are annoyed that I'm on the team. Some close friends are on the team and the rest are in my tiny faculty so I know most of the guys that I'm playing with, but still...

We're in Tier 2 which is the shittier of the 2 leagues. Anyone have any advice for what what I should be thinking/doing in my very first ever ice hockey game where I'm a lovely skater that can only stop one way and just learned crossovers 2 weeks ago?

I'm a forward.

P.S. 5'7 13" Bauer

My best advice: Take one aspect of your overall game and try and work on that during the game, wether it be passing, or shooting or focusing on positioning. Positioning is probably the biggest thing you can work on when just starting out. Do you know what forward position you'll be at? Wing or center?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I got bored and this is already the gooniest loving discussion so...I took a pic. Notice how the bottom of the shin-guard matches pretty much exactly with the top of the boot? That's basically shin guards should fit. i still get full ROM for skating without sacrificing protection.

baby_feet.jpg:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 29, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Alizee posted:

I'm a forward.

P.S. 5'7 13" Bauer

If the puck comes to you take a half-second to think about what you're going to do with it. I'm pretty new to playing and so are a lot of guys I play with and often the first instinct when you get the puck is "oh gently caress, I have to get rid of this" so you end up making a lovely pass or icing it or something. Especially if you're playing in a low level league you probably have more time to make a play than you think.

Other than that just try to watch your positioning and have fun.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Alizee posted:

As the saying goes, "If you can't pass, you can't play." If there's a single thing you want to focus on, focus on your passing. Close behind that is catching a pass. If you can do those two things well, then you can always dish the puck when you're in trouble, and grab a poorly thrown puck that comes your way. They will get you far.

Also, I highly recommend going to stick-and-puck if you can. Every hour of practice is worth 10 hours of drop-in, and 20 hours of league play.

edit:

As far as passing goes - New players are so busy watching the puck they don't bother to look up and see the play unfold (hence habits like puck chasing, getting dangled around, bunching up, bad passes). If you concentrate on watching the play instead of the puck, the whole ice opens up, because you know where your options are (Mentally, something like:"F1 is in the far corner and covered by the defenseman; I'm F2, cross-ice, and my opposing D is playing the post; F3 is in the slot, and covered, but the far point is wide open because their winger is way out of position. If I get the puck I can either drive the net, or draw their defense to me and see who comes off their man (opening up a passing lane), or try to get it to that D-man") . You can still have that "of gently caress this guy's on me and I need to dish" moment, but instead of needing a moment to find the open man, you already know where he is before the puck is even on your stick.

I suppose one way to think about it is, by getting into the habit of reading the play, you give yourself more time to pass before you even have the puck. And that will make you a better passer.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 29, 2011

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I've been wanting to go to stick and pucks for months. For some reason the only stick and puck my city has is for kids age 5-13 with parents...

However, once it's cold enough outside for ice, I'll be playing at outdoor rinks all the time.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Finally! After starting the D3( soon to be renamed to D2) season with 1 tie and then 4 consecutive losses it felt good to dominate with a 4-1 win. 2 goals and 1 assist. Woooooooooooooo. So much for sleep.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bronson17 posted:

Thanks for the help (lazerwolf too). I'd noticed that some charts said 13=13 and some that said 11.5, but if you've got personal experience I think that's about as reliable as I could ask for.

Mission was bought (or joined) Bauer last year I think. They used to be true to shoe size but now they are like every other hockey company and are 1.5 sizes smaller than your shoe size (for no reason)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Worst call in the history of no-goal calls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx6UQaWUYlY

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My missions from 1998 or whenever I got them were true to shoe size. 9 shoe = 9D skate.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Hhahahhahahahahahahahhhaahhahahaahahahhhhhhahhahahahahahahaahaahahah

what
ahahahahhahhaahaahahhahahaahah

holy gently caress. Everything about this video is amazing. The loving hand waves by the entire team and then the group :smith: when the authority lays down the law. I mean it's so wrong yet no one says a loving thing. Wow.

hahahahaahahhhahaahah

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

JamesRay posted:

jeez it's been a long time. In case any of you care, the team I'm playing in, we won our div during the summmer (lowest div though). This winter season is my transition from Forward to Defense. I'm doing pretty good.

I'm doing some upgrading with my gear. I'm thinking I'll go with the Reebok 9K elbow pads and shoulder guards. My main concern is that I want shoulder pads that are low profile.

I'm planning on getting some new gloves. I've got an old pair of Bauer gloves, and my buddy swears by EAGLE PPF gloves. I'm thinking of getting my gear off hockeymonkey.com and my price range is about $100-$150.

What do you guys think?

Sherwood 5030 are the only shoulder pads you'll ever need.

For gloves I think the Easton s19's are the best bang for your buck, but I've never been a fan of Eagle gloves either.

Elbow pads just get whatever is most comfy. I found the elbow cups on Reebok's are way too deep for them to sit properly on myself.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

can someone explain why this is a bad call? I feel stupid for immediately thinking "this is not a goal."

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

can someone explain why this is a bad call? I feel stupid for immediately thinking "this is not a goal."

Unless I missed something (and I think Zetterberg is just being funny) its in no way a bad call, he clearly punched the puck in more or less.

Petit.Conan posted:

Easton s19's

I heard that the palms in those gloves are terrible for durability. I tried them on at hockeygiant and they fit amazing but if the palms won't hold up it sort of deterred me

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cenzo posted:

I just assumed it was because the guy very obviously gloving it into the net was the goon posting the vid in the first place.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Pleads posted:

I just assumed it was because the guy very obviously gloving it into the net was the goon posting the vid in the first place.

Ah ok, this makes sense when I remember HZ did say he did this.

Go about your business, nothing to see here anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha, yeah that video was me. Obviously I knew it wasn't going to count which is why I just skated away. In hindsight, I should have rode my stick in celebration to try to sell it.

Best part is that even after the ref called the obvious no-goal, everyone lined up at center as if I did score.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha, yeah that video was me. Obviously I knew it wasn't going to count which is why I just skated away. In hindsight, I should have rode my stick in celebration to try to sell it.

Best part is that even after the ref called the obvious no-goal, everyone lined up at center as if I did score.

Interesting question as to the location of the face-off. I believe the should be in the neutral zone, though. cite.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 29, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Dangerllama posted:

Interesting question as to the location of the face-off. I believe the should be in the neutral zone, though. cite.

It should be in the neutral zone at one of the dots by the blueline, not centre ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep, it ended up going to the dots outside the zone.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Minister Robathan posted:

It should be in the neutral zone at one of the dots by the blueline, not centre ice.

Oh, I wasn't saying it might be at center ice, but rather that I'm not sure where in the rules batting the puck into the net is covered. My presumption is that this qualifies as a hand-pass in the offensive zone, but I'm not sure.

edit: Nevermind, found it. Rule 612e

USA Hockey posted:

When a goal is disallowed as a result of the actions of the attacking team, the ensuing face-off will take place at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot, unless otherwise specified in these rules

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 29, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I cant believe the other team let you near the crease again after you pulled that poo poo

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Having fun during a game? Not in MY beer league :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Next time you need to go for like a mid-air crane kick or something. Or at least have the sense to follow-through and also smack the goalie if you're already punching the puck.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

When scoring goals in this unorthodox fashion, don't forget to yell "Hi-YAH!"

First game of the fall season is tonight, I've been antsy all day. Captaining this team might be a pain in the rear end but I love every game we play. Glad we have such a full roster this season too, because it turns out half my team is jewish and can't make it tonight on account of the holiday. :stare:

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Having fun during a game? Not in MY beer league :colbert:

You've insulted the sport, your team, and yourself. Frankly you're lucky you made it out of the rink intact. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

When scoring goals in this unorthodox fashion, don't forget to yell "Hi-YAH!"

First game of the fall season is tonight, I've been antsy all day. Captaining this team might be a pain in the rear end but I love every game we play. Glad we have such a full roster this season too, because it turns out half my team is jewish and can't make it tonight on account of the holiday. :stare:

On behalf of my rational Jewish brethren, I would like to apologize for all those who prioritize being Jewish over being hockey players. :(