Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I was stopping for gas up in northern Mass yesterday when some dude on a Victory pulls into the same gas station. He gets off his bike, takes off his little skullcap helmet, and slams it on the ground angrily. Well it bounced over by my feet, so I pick it up and walk it back over to him. At that point I noticed he had a New Hampshire plate on his bike (NH has no helmet law, while Mass does).

As I handed him his lid he said, "loving Massholes. Spitting in the eye of freedom!"

Yes, he said that wearing a helmet was "Spitting in the eye of freedom." Or maybe he implied that -I- particularly was spitting in the eye of freedom because I was A) from Mass and B) wearing a helmet and C) nice enough to pick up his helmet after he spiked it in a fit of childish rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I'm amazed at the number of motorcyclists who won't just admit they made a mistake. It's always gravel, painted lines, grease strips, cold tires, etc.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Crayvex posted:

I'm amazed at the number of motorcyclists who won't just admit they made a mistake. It's always gravel, painted lines, grease strips, cold tires, etc.

I had to lay-er-down, right into the back of that car. No I couldn't have turned a little and gone around or learned to brake properly to hit it at a lower speed. I HAD TO LAYERDOWN! :patriot:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
LAYER DAN TOOK MY JERB

Where I live we don't get a lot of Layer Dans, instead a lot of crashes seem to be caused by target fixation and inattentiveness in traffic; blaming, of course, the car for hitting/pulling out on them rather than their bad judgment calls.

That's not to say people in cars don't do stupid irresponsible poo poo here, I'm apparently the only person who expects them to and acts accordingly. I put it down to 10 years of cycle commuting.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Crayvex posted:

My [so far] only street crash was a mistake that happened on gravel, I was braking way too hard while riding the tire real close to the edge of the pavement near a turn that had a lot of gravel around the edges of it. Wouldn't have happened without the gravel, still my fault.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I had to layerdon once. It was my turn at a four way stop so I proceeded to turn left. Half way through the intersection my faulty ignition control module quit causing the engine to shut off. I was going all of 3mph at this time but it caught me off balance so I kind of stepped off/gently laid er down in the middle of the intersection. I got honked at by a lady in a Lexus as I was unlayinerdownnn :(

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bugdrvr posted:

I had to layerdon once. It was my turn at a four way stop so I proceeded to turn left. Half way through the intersection my faulty ignition control module quit causing the engine to shut off. I was going all of 3mph at this time but it caught me off balance so I kind of stepped off/gently laid er down in the middle of the intersection. I got honked at by a lady in a Lexus as I was unlayinerdownnn :(

Did you proceed to beat the poo poo out of her?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bondematt posted:

Did you proceed to beat the poo poo out of her?

Shoulda just stood up and stared at her. What's she gonna do, drive over the bike? Pick it up herself?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I did give her the best WTF look I could while wearing a full face helmet. Guess she probably thought I was some drunk dumb rear end that just fell over. It was in PB (a beach nearly always filled up with drunk idiots).

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bugdrvr posted:

I did give her the best WTF look I could while wearing a full face helmet. Guess she probably thought I was some drunk dumb rear end that just fell over. It was in PB (a beach nearly always filled up with drunk idiots).

I avoid that place like the plague on a bike.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Bugdrvr posted:

It was in PB (a beach nearly always filled up with drunk idiots).
Not remembering where you're from, I read that as "filled up with drunk idiots. He must mean 'Pabst Blue' - without the Ribbon..." :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bugdrvr posted:

I remember in PB once watching a dude pull up to a stop light on his scooter and then just fall over after forgetting to put his leg out.

I also was once waiting at a light on my shiny new ninja 250, and a friend of mine hung out of the window of the car next to me and started hitting me with a telephone book.

PB, brings out the best in all of us.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Stupid things my brother says, "Hey I heard that most guys with helmets get into more accidents because they want to prove how good their gear is. I knew a guy that jumped off his bike to prove how safe his full face helmet was." :ughh:

Hurracan
Apr 29, 2009

Crayvex posted:

Stupid things my brother says, "Hey I heard that most guys with helmets get into more accidents because they want to prove how good their gear is. I knew a guy that jumped off his bike to prove how safe his full face helmet was."

There is some evidence, with regards to vehicle safety, that most drivers will tend to become accustomed to safety measures and start "taking risks" (being neglectful) to compensate.

Like when they implemented requirements for a higher-elevated, center-situated brake light on cars, casualties dropped for a couple years and then crept back up to about where they had been.

Bicyclists wearing helmets get into statistically more frequent crashes and hit their heads more often (but it's been a couple years since I read that and I don't remember where, might be discredited) than those without.

I think it's just that there are many people who put too much faith in safety equipment and features and slack off on the vigilance.

Edit: Which is not to say "Durr, don't wear helmets," but to illustrate how people will sometimes behave differently when they have an illusion of safety, regardless of the activity.

Hurracan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 14, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

If it all goes through I'll post pics etc. Apparently his wife is letting him do it because eh agree'd to let her put a huge life insurance policy on him. Smart Lady! amirite?

Can you setup some sort of CA group buy on life insurance for this guy. It sounds like a great investment opportunity!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Not really "overheard," but yesterday I was riding home from school and I was on a city street approaching an intersection where there seemed to be a big backup, so I hopped up on my pegs to get a better view of what was up ahead (plus I love standing on my pegs, having come from a dirtbike/mtb background.)

I pull up to a stop and I notice there's this middle aged lady on a harley parked on the other side of the road talking to a pedestrian... and as I glance over at her, she gives me this condescending frown and shakes her head! Now, at first I was a bit like "what the hell," but then I realize that this woman is wearing a scarf and goggles but there is NO loving HELMET to be seen. :thumbsup:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was at Cycle Gear (unsuccessfully) trying to find an oil filter for my bike when a sales guy comes up and grabs the K&N book to look again. We see that the part is not in stock so I grab the Powerflo book when he says "They both use the same part number. Well actually they are made by the same people at the same factory.". When asked what the difference was he told me he had asked the rep the same question. Apparently the rep said K&N filters are for use with synthetic oil where Powerflo filters are for conventional. We both shook our heads and I left since they didn't have either.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those local sportbike riders who don't take care of newbies? Decided to check on them and first page there's a thread about a newbie down:

Goz45;347874 posted:

His name is Josh. Forgot his last name. He was in good spirits when we loaded him the the ambulance. He kept talking to me and gave me his moms number to call. He was making jokes about getting a cruiser now. LOL. First thing he said to me was"Sorry about the bike goz." He just bought it a month ago and thats how long he has been riding. He seemed to be breathing fine and was talking good. Dont know much more other than broken leg, collarbone and possibly arm. Will update when I find out.

Goz45;347876 posted:

I think he came in too hot on that decreasing right and flew straight over the hill and off the bike. I think the bike when flipping over and over. Not exactly sure. Ill let whoever was behind him post the crash details. Dont mean nothing, but I think the bike may be done. Prez might check it out. Reactor is picking it up.

Hah apparently there have been a lot over the summer and a few have been drunks and morons, I should have kept up with these guys:

Busaman25;347915 posted:

I know I am relatively new to the junkies and not saying I'm some type of expert rider by no means but I have been riding for 15 years not that means anything bc what I have learned from alot you guys in this club has helped me out tremendously. But to classify majority of wrecks to inexperience, heads not being clear or just simply being new to the junkies I don't think is a fair assumption. The wrecks lately have been crazy I do agree and I was one of them but not all wrecks have been due to rider error, in this case that is possibly true but I am glad to see everyone has been able to relatively get up from these accidents so I'm very grateful for that.

Godspeed in you recovery Josh

---
- Sent from my fingers while using my cool guy phone

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That attitude is why I stay away from the assfault junkies forum.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Stupid motorcycle related poo poo of the evening: Billy Connoly crashing his stupid lovely trike on the television because of his stupid lovely cruise control throttle lock.

"The 68-year-old comic skidded on gravel as he was making a TV documentary about the 2,488-mile highway this week. Although he wasn’t traveling fast, he slipped off his seat, and the trike ran over him. A member of the production crew told The Sun: ‘Billy was in severe pain and we were all worried because he couldn't get a breath due to his busted rib. An ambulance was called and he was rushed to hospital."

That's right folks, the trike had to lay him down.

For those of you not in the UK who don't know what a Billy Connolly is,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8750571/Billy-Connolly-interview.html

(Or for more breasts try the daily mail. )

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Saga posted:

Stupid motorcycle related poo poo of the evening: Billy Connoly crashing his stupid lovely trike on the television because of his stupid lovely cruise control throttle lock.

"The 68-year-old comic skidded on gravel as he was making a TV documentary about the 2,488-mile highway this week. Although he wasn’t traveling fast, he slipped off his seat, and the trike ran over him. A member of the production crew told The Sun: ‘Billy was in severe pain and we were all worried because he couldn't get a breath due to his busted rib. An ambulance was called and he was rushed to hospital."

That's right folks, the trike had to lay him down.

For those of you not in the UK who don't know what a Billy Connolly is,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8750571/Billy-Connolly-interview.html

(Or for more breasts try the daily mail. )

I caught one of them shows and thought it was ok apart from that 3 wheel monstrosity. "Why doesn't he just ride a prober bike" I asked? Mystery solved.

The trike had to lay him down. That sir, has made my day.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Oibignose posted:

"Why doesn't he just ride a prober bike" I asked? Mystery solved.

You know, that was exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer for it. And I thought it again after he started explaining to camera how he ran himself over with his trike.

OK, the dude's 70, but still.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Saga posted:

OK, the dude's 70, but still.

I suppose we should respect our elders, especially ones that used to be funny.

Still a wee bit gay though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Oibignose posted:

I suppose we should respect our elders, especially ones that used to be funny.

Big yin now refers only to the lovely trike.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I took the bike to work today. The Chief Investigator of our health study saw me get off it since I get to park near the bicycles in the underground where all the important people park their cars.

"You know what they call those right?"
"Hmm?"
"Donor-cycles."
"Heh."

Get home.

"I need to get my shoes out of my backpack."
"Why are your shoes in your backpack?"
"I took the bike to work."
"YOU RODE THE BIKE AT A HIGH TRAFFIC TIME?? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT."
"I've put in 9 hours of city riding. I think I can handle the 15 minute inner city ride at rush hour."
"Remember what I told you."
"What was that?"
"Just don't move forward when anything is front of you. Anything. Don't put it in gear when there is a car sitting in front of you."
"Uuuh, OK Dad."

:psyduck:

I know he wants me to be safe and all, but some of the stuff he tells me to/not to do are weird.

"Don't go riding a night, you can't see the flattened Pop cans and water bottles. You hit those and you're DONE."

His reaction to my grey Bandit 600 was also, "Soooo, you bought a crotch rocket eh??" :doh:

At least my neighbors like it. They think it's good looking and quiet.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I took the bike to work today. The Chief Investigator of our health study saw me get off it since I get to park near the bicycles in the underground where all the important people park their cars.

"Hmm?"
"Donor-cycles."
"Heh."

Get home.

"I need to get my shoes out of my backpack."
"Why are your shoes in your backpack?"
"I took the bike to work."
"YOU RODE THE BIKE AT A HIGH TRAFFIC TIME?? YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT."
"I've put in 9 hours of city riding. I think I can handle the 15 minute inner city ride at rush hour."
"Remember what I told you."
"What was that?"
"Just don't move forward when anything is front of you. Anything. Don't put it in gear when there is a car sitting in front of you."
"Uuuh, OK Dad."

:psyduck:

I know he wants me to be safe and all, but some of the stuff he tells me to/not to do are weird.

"Don't go riding a night, you can't see the flattened Pop cans and water bottles. You hit those and you're DONE."

His reaction to my grey Bandit 600 was also, "Soooo, you bought a crotch rocket eh??" :doh:

At least my neighbors like it. They think it's good looking and quiet.

I used to hate riding in rush hour traffic. I would advise other riders to STAY OUT OF RUSH HOUR! Now I ride in rush hour every day and I feel pretty darn safe considering how maneuverable the bike is compared to my car. I know I'm less safe, but I don't feel it is a death sentence.

In other words, I said stupid poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ziploc posted:

"Hmm?"
"Donor-cycles."
"Heh."

Last time I had a comment like that by a semi-stranger I countered:

Me: "You know what we call people that say that?"
him: "What?"
Me: "Stupid assholes"

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

I rode my motorcycle to a business conference today. I'm walking around in my jacket, boots, and I'm carrying my helmet and someone asks, "Did you ride a motorcycle here?" :ughh:

spootle
Nov 11, 2009

Crayvex posted:

I rode my motorcycle to a business conference today. I'm walking around in my jacket, boots, and I'm carrying my helmet and someone asks, "Did you ride a motorcycle here?" :ughh:

"No the forecast said chance of zombies so I thought I'd better be prepared."

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Crayvex posted:

"Did you ride a motorcycle here?" :ughh:

I've had the opposite of this happen to me. I'll ride my bike to the mall or something, walk around with my helmet, buy something way too big to carry on my bike, and then have the cashier ask me "How you gonna get that home on a motorcycle?"

Then I look at what I bought, realize I'm a moron, then make up some bullshit lie to save a little dignity before I call a friend to meet me there in a car.

I've done this at least three times.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

I usually answer that one by saying that I'm really clumsy and fall over a lot.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I was at the hospital the other day and I was walking behind a dude that wore his helmet all the way from the parking lot, all the way through the building, really deep into the building got into the elevator rode it up to the ninth floor. At the point our paths split. I was just really surprised he never took his helmet off, it was really weird.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crayvex posted:

Maybe they were trying to chat up the interesting guy who clearly rides a motorcycle?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

The one time I did this, I got a "Hey what do you ride?" from one of the other people. We chatted bikes for a bit. He has an R1200RT and a Burgman (sic?).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In his defense people can ask that question in a couple different ways, from the ditsy airhead "Do you ride a motorcycle" to someone pointing it out like "oh, you ride a motorcycle".

Tho I'd probably just glean that information and ask "What kind of bike do you have?" but then again I'm a short bastard.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

"Hmm?"
"Donor-cycles."
"Heh."

I prefer the term "murdercycle", personally.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

This is me, on the right, replying to your post.

What happens next?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MotoMind posted:

What happens next?

Come on you know the answer.

Awkward silence and then we both go home and cry a little.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

If they were trying to start a conversation they did it in a stupid way. Perhaps they should have said, "Hey, nice day for a ride! What kind of bike do you have?"

Oh well, I'll just get back on my murdercycle that makes babies cry and ride 145 MPH on the expressway while darting between cars and scaring old ladies. At least, that's what people assume because I ride a sport bike and I have a matching jacket and helmet. :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crayvex posted:

Oh well, I'll just get back on my murdercycle that makes babies cry and ride 145 MPH on the expressway while darting between cars and scaring old ladies. At least, that's what people assume because I ride a sport bike and I have a matching jacket and helmet. :hurr:

I hate that particular misconception.

My bike will barely even do 115mph, sheesh :rolleyes:

• Locked thread