Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Not all of the content uploaded to facebook is original though, so many of my friends use it to re post things they've found online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Facebook has tons, how many of them are utterly uninteresting to anyone but the photographer?

Almost all of them. Then again I doubt the albums my parents took during my childhood would be very interesting to anyone else anyway.

Nikon vs Canon? - http://youtu.be/qRat5mfW0g0

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

dissss posted:

Almost all of them. Then again I doubt the albums my parents took during my childhood would be very interesting to anyone else anyway.

Mark Zuckerberg wants to see them.

Perhaps in the dark.

Naked.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

David Pratt posted:

Taken from here. I feel pretty much the same when I'm at a concert. There are pros there who will take much better pictures than me, let them get on with it while I enjoy the music I came for.

What do you guys think?

That quote is quite profound. I like it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I had another photoshoot with some friends this weekend. It was awful. My one friend who wasn't in the last one was quite bossy, wanting pictures in light and poses that were really not going to work and were quite unflattering. I tried to explain to her that it wasn't going to turn out well, but ended up taking a couple just to humour her.

She was also on crutches, and was getting antsy to get back, so I felt really rushed the whole time. I got home and realised I was shooting at focal lengths of 50 and ~70mm, with shutter speeds of ~1/40. I could have opened my aperture a stop or two, or even bumped my iso if I needed to, but nope. Just loving retarded. So disappointed.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I had another photoshoot with some friends this weekend. It was awful. My one friend who wasn't in the last one was quite bossy, wanting pictures in light and poses that were really not going to work and were quite unflattering. I tried to explain to her that it wasn't going to turn out well, but ended up taking a couple just to humour her.

She was also on crutches, and was getting antsy to get back, so I felt really rushed the whole time. I got home and realised I was shooting at focal lengths of 50 and ~70mm, with shutter speeds of ~1/40. I could have opened my aperture a stop or two, or even bumped my iso if I needed to, but nope. Just loving retarded. So disappointed.

Relax. It happens to everyone. I normally shoot Av but for a look I'd change to M because the light was a bit tricky and I forgot to change it back to AV for the next look so a whole bunch of pics were really under exposed :(

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

David Pratt posted:

Taken from here. I feel pretty much the same when I'm at a concert. There are pros there who will take much better pictures than me, let them get on with it while I enjoy the music I came for.

What do you guys think?

I agree completely and have spent a good deal of time reading and writing about this issue in broader application. The commodification of experience is a bad thing.

e: There's a really good essay on Ryan McGinley's work that really sparked my interest in the subject, I'll see if I can dig it up.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 25, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'd be interested in reading more on it. I agree too, photographing removes you from the experience, and the experience becomes photographing. It reminds me something that was said at a fashion show- one guy had lost his battery and couldn't shoot, his teammate said "you lucky bastard, you get to watch the show! I haven't watched a show in 20 years." It also reminds me of people who obsessively take photos of their food and ruin their whole experience of dining out. By the time they actually get to eating, the food is cold and unappreciated.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

Relax. It happens to everyone. I normally shoot Av but for a look I'd change to M because the light was a bit tricky and I forgot to change it back to AV for the next look so a whole bunch of pics were really under exposed :(

Ah, that does make me feel better! I had my film body out too, and I'm actually a lot happier with those than my digitals, so thankfully I got something I like :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nonanone posted:

I'd be interested in reading more on it. I agree too, photographing removes you from the experience, and the experience becomes photographing. It reminds me something that was said at a fashion show- one guy had lost his battery and couldn't shoot, his teammate said "you lucky bastard, you get to watch the show! I haven't watched a show in 20 years." It also reminds me of people who obsessively take photos of their food and ruin their whole experience of dining out. By the time they actually get to eating, the food is cold and unappreciated.

I'm glad my sister realized this before she tried re-asking me to shoot her wedding in March :3:

I'm still thinking about maybe renting an M9 + Noctilux for the weekend though.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Some random fun stuff from work: This is the result after a couple of beers, a red epic and some sparklers:

Red Epicness by capacity4action, on Flickr

sparkly fan by capacity4action, on Flickr

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Duckjob posted:

Some random fun stuff from work: This is the result after a couple of beers, a red epic and some sparklers:

That thing's a beast, looks cool. Whose making that slider you're using?

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
^ we were using glidetrack sliders

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
edit: wrong thread, moving post over to the bag thread.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 27, 2011

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Man I'm going crazy trying to clone out all of the dust/sand I had on my sensor from changing lenses in a sand storm. Those stupid desert shots have so much sky all of the spots are visible. I'm at 100% with my face up against the monitor and now the floaties moving around in my eyes are confusing me. :argh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

Man I'm going crazy trying to clone out all of the dust/sand I had on my sensor from changing lenses in a sand storm. Those stupid desert shots have so much sky all of the spots are visible. I'm at 100% with my face up against the monitor and now the floaties moving around in my eyes are confusing me. :argh:
Sand easily scratches glass, so I would have the sensor professionally cleaned after that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Duckjob posted:

sparkly fan by capacity4action, on Flickr

Power your fan. Tip 34: The Many Uses of the Vagabond.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

Power your fan. Tip 34: The Many Uses of the Vagabond.

I want a vagabond so bad and I don't have any studio strobes yet.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Nikon - A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses, and a good lens is essential to taking good pictures!

:lol:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Ahahahahaha

:suicide:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Ahahahahaha

:suicide:

At the moment Nikon has a lot in common with this guy.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wow way to piss off your core customers. Too funny.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

:drat:

Social networking backfire

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahaha I figured that would be some idiot's blog, then I clicked on the link and jesus, how did they ever think that would work well?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

doctor 7 posted:

:drat:

Social networking backfire

Not really a backfire considering it got 2117 comments. Any press is good press...etc.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

8th-samurai posted:

Not really a backfire considering it got 2117 comments. Any press is good press...etc.

Cool-Aid is synonymous with poison. People don't buy canned spinach because of a disaster in Chernobyl, in 1986.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Getting 2000 negative comments isn't good. You don't want people to see your embarrassing slip ups.

I only hope Canon posted something like "Great photographers make great pictures, we feel privileged at canon to supply some of the best photographers in the world - YOU!"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

gently caress that. It's the kinda thing that would sway me away if I were choosing a system right now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't get it?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A lot of people on facebook are eager to look like they know something. On the internet.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
People getting mad on the internet.

evil_bunnY posted:

gently caress that. It's the kinda thing that would sway me away if I were choosing a system right now.

Really? Something that some (probably) unpaid intern wrote on Nikon's FB page is going to sway you from one brand to another. This is photography, not politics.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
What the unpaid intern said isn't the end of the world, but that Facebook status should justly garner as many eyerolls as a "you take great pictures, you must have an amazing camera".

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004

RangerScum posted:

People getting mad on the internet.

Really? Something that some (probably) unpaid intern wrote on Nikon's FB page is going to sway you from one brand to another. This is photography, not politics.

Thank you. The outrage this inspired had made photographers look like emotionally damaged teenagers.

"NIKON...HOW COULD YOU?! YOU'RE SAYING I'M NOT AN ARTIST?!?"

Everyone chill the gently caress out.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Thank god I use Canon gear. I can't even imagine what my pics would look like if I shot with lovely Nikon gear.

Helmacron posted:

Cool-Aid is synonymous with poison. People don't buy canned spinach because of a disaster in Chernobyl, in 1986.

I don't buy canned spinach cause it's loving nasty.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It absolutely should be pointed at and laughed about. A camera company letting that kind of comment slip by?

Huge multinational companies aren't little babies that should be protected from the internet. Nikon probably pay fuckloads to some gimmicky PR company with a social media speciality and someone didn't do their job right.

It's not a big deal at the end of the day, but it is embarrassing and Nikon should be embarrassed about it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Right, it's embarrassing and funny to laugh at, but some people are acting offended or upset.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

RangerScum posted:

Right, it's embarrassing and funny to laugh at, but some people are acting offended or upset.

You mean the poor people are acting offended or upset.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

RangerScum posted:

oh yeah, that's bullshit.

In other news, had a cancellation today - here is the abridged text message.

quote:

don't hate me but I'm not going to make it today. I've got the shits really bad and been sick twice, I've been up since 4 - I've taken immodium but its just not working - I've left it til now cause I thought it would work but I'm guessing it might be a bug or somethihg - if I could come I would but I literally cannot stop making GBS threads, been looking foreward to this, I'm honestly not one of them models that just cancels

She goes on about making GBS threads quite a bit more.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I find it kind of funny that in this day and age of digital sensors, Photoshop and autofocus, people are way more offended about the whole "your camera takes good pictures" thing than they were back when taking a photo involved a pack mule, hazardous chemicals and a PhD in mathematics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I find it kind of funny that in this day and age of digital sensors, Photoshop and autofocus, people are way more offended about the whole "your camera takes good pictures" thing than they were back when taking a photo involved a pack mule, hazardous chemicals and a PhD in mathematics.

People get butthurt over the weirdest things, especially if it can be misinterpreted as something negative when intended as a compliment.