Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
Hi guys, I autocross too!

It's a Mercury Marauder in case anyone asks.

Surely, there's someone on here with an even more eccentric choice of ride to autocross

Beach Bum! You autocross in Dixie, I autocross in Wiregrass. So I was looking at your video, Is that SGMP where you're autocrossing? It looks different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Hitting the timing gear means you owe the club 10x:10bux:

Still doesn't cover the cost as our timing gear is easily worth $2000+

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Marauder Stig posted:

Hi guys, I autocross too!

It's a Mercury Marauder in case anyone asks.

Surely, there's someone on here with an even more eccentric choice of ride to autocross

Beach Bum! You autocross in Dixie, I autocross in Wiregrass. So I was looking at your video, Is that SGMP where you're autocrossing? It looks different.

YUSSSSS! I REMEMBER THIS CAR!!! I went to one of your events back when I had my '89 E30 (link), you were tearing it up out there. I was out there with a buddy of mine who has a spraypainted black Miata. Your site is awesome.

That would be Dixie's Moultrie site, nice big concrete flightline that draws crowds before Nationals. That friend of mine in the Turbo Civic goes to Wiregrass events every once in awhile too.

whiskas posted:

Hitting the timing gear means you owe the club 10x:10bux:

Still doesn't cover the cost as our timing gear is easily worth $2000+
Luckily for the driver, he only dinged up the casing a bit. I haven't heard anything about it being permanently damaged, so no news is good news in this case.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Cross posting my video from a Regional event. Wet laps are great for hooning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpdP6N8OUeM

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What, is everyone's season already over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlPK7M092Y

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Mine is. I went out rallycrossing instead.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

What, is everyone's season already over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlPK7M092Y

Nope, I'm going to an event in Ottawa in a week. Can we fast forward a week please?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great auto-x in Phoenix today, the heat wasn't *too* oppressive, but it was definitely warm.

Unfortunately, while I remembered to charge the camera and put it in the car, I totally spaced putting the memory card back in it, so no on-board video of this one.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Today was the last event here in Saskatoon, but Regina (QCMA) is running "Sports Car Olympics" October 8 & 9, which includes one autocross event on a cart track in addition to a rallycross event and a TSD. This being Saskatchewan, the TSD is 85% gravel roads and 15% "poor surface" (i.e. dirt, ruts, a strip some random farmer drove his tractor down 10 years ago, etc.). This keeps some people away, like the silly people who insist on owning cars incapable of driving on even good gravel roads (which account for at least 50% of the roads in this province).

Last weekend was our annual "come play with us" event, SuperSlalom in Saskatoon (SSIS), which came together very well, no drama and no problems.
First picture from Saturday:

SSIS 2011 Saturday-1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Last picture from Sunday:

SSIS 2011 Sunday-60 by Execudork, on Flickr

I took some in-car videos on both days, if I ever get around to editing them I suppose I could put them up. Today's pictures haven't come off the camera, yet.

If anybody is going to be anywhere near Regina in early October, I highly recommend SCO, it's a great group of people there and they put together a really excellent Time-Speed-Distance Rally last year.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Nice pictures (on the other events too).

I was hoping to make it out for the 18th and was out of town on the 11th, so I guess I missed out. I was hoping to see how I did without the boost leak...

The SCO sounds like fun but I'll be gone for that one too. I wonder if they'll find any road with corners other than 90* near Regina :D.

Looking forward to next year already. I really want to look into some ice rallycross for this winter. Have you heard anything?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! Last year's TSD included some very twisty roads through the Qu'Appelle valley, roads that I don't think even farmer's use much. Too skinny and winding (and steep up the valley walls) for a grain truck or a tractor pulling anything.

But, yeah, lots of wide open flatness, too.

Rumours for IceDice abound, personally I'm trying to figure out how to get things rolling sliding in that direction. Come to the monthly club meetings (first Wednesday each month) and help me pester people into getting this to happen!

If all else fails, QCMA is pretty good about getting an event going on New Year's day and then a reasonable schedule (5 or 6 events, with luck) following.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That Volvo looks familiar... has he run it in Edmonton?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure he's from Edmonton. About half of the people at SSIS were from out of town - Calgary, Edmonton, and Regina.

I heard it has a 5.0 Mustang engine in it, certainly it doesn't sound like a Volvo, and he posted pretty good times for a fishtailing brick (he beat me, but so did everyone who didn't go off-course).

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Yesterday I went to an autocross at California Speedway with my 08 STI (almost dead RE01r tires, huge front swaybar, accessport tune, usually run in local SCCA street tire stock class). It was a casual just for fun event in conjunction with the track day on the big track but I still like to see how I stack up against the other cars.

Cars that were faster than me: Porsche GT3 on R Comps, ASP Corvette, ST(?) Del Sol with "national champion" driver, S2000 on R comps, caged NB Miata race car, and a shifter cart that was way faster than anyone.

Cars that should have been faster than me: Lotus Exige, Corvette ZR-1, Corvette Z06, C6 Corvette with "Tire Rack" windshield banner, and a Shelby GT-500 (course may have been too tight for him).

It was overall a good day but I had to leave early due to my tires quitting on me. I knew this was to be their last event and by the end of the day my right rear was so toasted that I couldn't make a left turn without drifting. While this was pretty fun, I had to make sure I could make it home on the tires.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Pretty sure he's from Edmonton. About half of the people at SSIS were from out of town - Calgary, Edmonton, and Regina.

I heard it has a 5.0 Mustang engine in it, certainly it doesn't sound like a Volvo, and he posted pretty good times for a fishtailing brick (he beat me, but so did everyone who didn't go off-course).
That's him. I've only seen him run once but the drive to E-town for eight runs is a little much to ask.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hey, it's only 3 hours from Cowtown to Edmonton, S'toon is 4-5 hours away (depending on one's propensity to speed in an obvious racecar on a highway heavily patrolled by the mounties). Eight runs is right, but on a course double our usual length (for only 3 times the price!). Plus the cameraderie of the autocross community, right? :v:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well another sunny day here in Tucson and another fun event at the Marana airport. First time i've taken the car out after a proper alignment and I could definitely feel the difference. Here enjoy a boring video of a Yaris on the course --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1ROwfvmKc

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That was a pretty awesome course today. I'm currently uploading my in-car from my first time only run, will post it when it's done.

Somebody was nice enough to catch a picture of me on course today (before the course blew away).

If you didn't stay for the third run group, towards the end of it a bit of a storm blew in, sprinkled just a bit to get everything damp, and then hit us with an amazing dust storm that sand-blasted the crap out of everything, and left not a single cone standing on the entire course.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of that later (the carnage).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The in-car video, not in a Yaris. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VVjSmQxZs&

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

That was a pretty awesome course today. I'm currently uploading my in-car from my first time only run, will post it when it's done.

Somebody was nice enough to catch a picture of me on course today (before the course blew away).

If you didn't stay for the third run group, towards the end of it a bit of a storm blew in, sprinkled just a bit to get everything damp, and then hit us with an amazing dust storm that sand-blasted the crap out of everything, and left not a single cone standing on the entire course.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of that later (the carnage).

Oh poo poo! That was your BMW? It looked awesome out there on the course! As for the duststorm, I was lucky enough to miss it after I bitched at the workers coordinator that I wanted to work A/run B and got out by 12:30. Still not sure why they decided to mix it up. Well now I can stalk you say hi next time assuming you come to the October meet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Oh poo poo! That was your BMW? It looked awesome out there on the course! As for the duststorm, I was lucky enough to miss it after I bitched at the workers coordinator that I wanted to work A/run B and got out by 12:30. Still not sure why they decided to mix it up. Well now I can stalk you say hi next time assuming you come to the October meet.

I keep meaning to go over to your car and say hello, then I get to the event and completely space it. Sorry about that.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Here's where the MA auto-xs usually end up, Devens Airfield as shown by and Elise who I got a ride with. I was able to get into 3rd at around the 1:04 mark with a top speed of 70ish, one of the vipers was getting above 80. The S2K and Elise had a very similar driving style for the autocross, I showed him some of the places that I sacrificed outright entry speed for a better exit and keeping the car on cam and it dropped 3 seconds off his time immediately. His helmet cam setup was pretty nifty, I think it was a Gopro HD Hero stuck on with velcro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLk3X1knoQ&feature=channel_video_title

Going through the slalom in those is a pretty holy poo poo experience, the front end goes where you point it with no drama. At 1:25 you see a cone that's placed a bit shorter; it caught everyone out and almost every car hit it. The Lotii would come up, crank the gently caress out of the wheel and miss it like there was no change up.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 26, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Helmet-cam is pretty cool, I'm going to have to look into that.

The autocross director in our club keeps threatening to put in uneven-spacing slaloms like that, but hasn't yet. He's made some really excellent courses this year, but I don't trust him not to pull something like that then admonish people for not checking spacing etc. during the course walk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Well another sunny day here in Tucson and another fun event at the Marana airport. First time i've taken the car out after a proper alignment and I could definitely feel the difference. Here enjoy a boring video of a Yaris on the course --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1ROwfvmKc

So after watching your video a couple of times, here is some unsolicited advice. :)

At 0:20 to about 0:27, you are seriously over-driving the car, and are in a fairly steady 'push' state throughout those two corners, which caused you to be far too deep into the corners, and you were probably in the marbles from being off line as well (although if you ran in A group, there may not have been much build up off line yet).

I wouldn't be surprised if you could have shaved a full second or more off of your time on that run in the video, if you had backed off just enough to take a tight line without the under-steer through that section.

The next autocross, when you notice the car pushing through corners, and find yourself nowhere near the apex cones, try backing off a bit, and take what may feel like a slower run, but hold your car tight right up against the cones.

One of the lessons that took me a stupidly long time to learn in this sport, is that sometimes "slower really can be faster".

If you come up to Phoenix for an event, look me up and I'll ride along with you if you want, and see if I can give you any pointers. I'm chief instructor in Phoenix, so it falls under my job description!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

So after watching your video a couple of times, here is some unsolicited advice. :)

At 0:20 to about 0:27, you are seriously over-driving the car, and are in a fairly steady 'push' state throughout those two corners, which caused you to be far too deep into the corners, and you were probably in the marbles from being off line as well (although if you ran in A group, there may not have been much build up off line yet).

I wouldn't be surprised if you could have shaved a full second or more off of your time on that run in the video, if you had backed off just enough to take a tight line without the under-steer through that section.

The next autocross, when you notice the car pushing through corners, and find yourself nowhere near the apex cones, try backing off a bit, and take what may feel like a slower run, but hold your car tight right up against the cones.

One of the lessons that took me a stupidly long time to learn in this sport, is that sometimes "slower really can be faster".

If you come up to Phoenix for an event, look me up and I'll ride along with you if you want, and see if I can give you any pointers. I'm chief instructor in Phoenix, so it falls under my job description!

I appreciate the tips and will continue to try to beat them into me. Dave Rock said the same thing and i've tried hard but sometimes I just get an adrenalin rush out there and that makes me abuse the accelerator pedal. I'll definitely hit you up if I go up to firebird again though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That's a nice course but it needs more slalom :psyduck:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Muffinpox posted:

His helmet cam setup was pretty nifty, I think it was a Gopro HD Hero stuck on with velcro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLk3X1knoQ&feature=channel_video_title
That helmet cam is awesome. After years of watching videos, and autocrossing on occasion (when time, money, motivation and 'summer' are all in synch), that video gives the the most genuine overall 'feel' for what it's like to autocross, because I don't know a single person who doesn't do the head tilt.

Pity the course was all slalom...

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Anyone have a suggestion for a simple and secure in-car mounting system for point and shoot camera during a track day? Would suction cup mounts for cameras actually hold up? Thanks!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

eriddy posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a simple and secure in-car mounting system for point and shoot camera during a track day? Would suction cup mounts for cameras actually hold up? Thanks!

Yes they would. Make sure to re suction them after every session.

Otherwise, a suction in good condition will handle sitting outside the car let alone inside the car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I use my DroidX mount on the inside of the windshield up top, and it takes pretty good videos, along with having never come loose.

However, you can't beat losing the goddamn MicroSD chip with an entire season's worth of videos :downs:.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
OK I am sold on doing this. This looks fun as hell and I never really knew how cheap and easy it is to get into motor racing.

I have a couple of questions 1st! first a background on my car. Its a 2001 mustang GT. the car has some VERY basic engine bolt-ons like plenum, t/b, gears, and tons of suspension mods. Suspension mods including 18" staggered wheels, cobra brakes, Bilstein shocks/struts, Caster/camber plates, h&r springs, Sub frames, lower control arms, and a panhard bar.(soon to be adding torque arm and new tighter steering shaft)

1)I am completely novice but I also have a modded car. What class would I fall under? I am not looking to compete against other people. I just want to compete against my self and my times. I'm probably going to be scared my 1st couple times doing this and will most likely not taking full advantage of the car.

2) as for helmets, they say category Snell M at a minimum, but any helmet that is rated this or higher is ok right? I mean a motorcycle helmet, full face, visor, no visor, formula 1, nascar style, rally car helmets are all for the same? I dont want to get the bare minimum helmet, I want something that is good and I am willing to pay extra for more proection.

3) since you are basically racing in a parking lot, if you get into an accident, does insurance see this as a sanctioned race event or kids being assholes in a parking lot? for instance, lets say I damage my car, or hit someone else and I call the insurance company and say I was speeding in the parking lot and hit a car. what happens in these events?

4) It says in the rules that things that are not bolted down into the car are not allowed when you are racing. Do they really enforce this? I have a small subwoofer in my car, and it would be a bigger pain in the rear end to disconnect it and take it out then to just leave it alone. if it gets destroyed I really could care less and buy a new sub.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kalvick posted:

1)I am completely novice but I also have a modded car. What class would I fall under? I am not looking to compete against other people. I just want to compete against my self and my times. I'm probably going to be scared my 1st couple times doing this and will most likely not taking full advantage of the car.

Don't worry about this. You tell them what's in your car, they will class you. Don't be scared, just be calm. Take it all in and approach your limits slowly. Don't be a dong. :v:

kalvick posted:

2) as for helmets, they say category Snell M at a minimum, but any helmet that is rated this or higher is ok right? I mean a motorcycle helmet, full face, visor, no visor, formula 1, nascar style, rally car helmets are all for the same? I dont want to get the bare minimum helmet, I want something that is good and I am willing to pay extra for more proection.

Loaner helmets are common. It sounds like the series you want to run with requires SNELL certification. A normal motorcycle helmet is typically not SNELL rated. Most clubs do not allow SNELL helmets older than 10 years.

Not all helmets are equal when it comes to what type of certification it has. I use the same SNELL helmet for both motorcycle riding and car racing. I see people use open face car racing helmets as well. Depends on what you want from your helmet.

kalvick posted:

3) since you are basically racing in a parking lot, if you get into an accident, does insurance see this as a sanctioned race event or kids being assholes in a parking lot? for instance, lets say I damage my car, or hit someone else and I call the insurance company and say I was speeding in the parking lot and hit a car. what happens in these events?

I don't actually know this question. I pray I never have to find out. That said, most clubs run a safe tight ship. An organizer should be able to answer this question. There is a reason for waivers.

kalvick posted:

4) It says in the rules that things that are not bolted down into the car are not allowed when you are racing. Do they really enforce this? I have a small subwoofer in my car, and it would be a bigger pain in the rear end to disconnect it and take it out then to just leave it alone. if it gets destroyed I really could care less and buy a new sub.

You really do want anything loose out of the car. Depending on the club they may do a quick check before the staging line.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kalvick posted:

I have a couple of questions 1st! first a background on my car. Its a 2001 mustang GT. the car has some VERY basic engine bolt-ons like plenum, t/b, gears, and tons of suspension mods. Suspension mods including 18" staggered wheels, cobra brakes, Bilstein shocks/struts, Caster/camber plates, h&r springs, Sub frames, lower control arms, and a panhard bar.(soon to be adding torque arm and new tighter steering shaft)

Most regions have novice groups. So you would still have to class your car correctly, but would run in 'novice'. So lets just say that your car (in SCCA classes) is either SM or CP (Street Modified, or C-Prepared). In the Phoenix Region you would register as SM/NV2. The novice classes are 'indexed' (handicapped) so that your time is multiplied by a factor based on your car, and then that is compared against the other people running in NV2 to determine your placing against the other novices.

kalvick posted:

IT depends on the group. For SCCA, you need at a minimum, a Snell M2000 or SA2000 rated helmet. If you buy a new helmet from a shop you'll be getting Snell 2010 in all likelyhood, which will be good for 10+ years in autocross before you'll need to worry about replacing it.

kalvick posted:

Wrecks of any kind are pretty rare in autocross, and I've never heard of a wreck including more than a single car. So assuming that you hit a curb, or a sign or something, and the damage was significant enough that you felt you needed to use your insurance to take care of it, then you just ran into a curb in a parking lot, poo poo happens.

This isn't really something you need to worry about, if the club you plan to run with has even remotely decent safety stewards and rules. Most of the cars I've seen get damaged at an autocross were pretty minor (curbs primarily in rural clubs that don't have big skidpads or airports to play on), although on rare occasions BMW 3-series on race tires like to flip over.

kalvick posted:

A loose sub won't pass tech at any decent SCCA club. You *really* don't want a large heavy object loose in the trunk of your car when you are driving it in anger. It can, and *will*, do significant sheet metal damage to the sides of your car as it travels back and forth in the trunk like a square wooden bowling ball.

We have plenty of people that simply install quick disconnects to their subs, and pull them out and put them in their parking spot with all their other crap during the event.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kalvick posted:

2001 mustang GT and tons of suspension mods

1)I am completely novice but I also have a modded car. What class would I fall under?

2) Helmets

3) insurance

4) Crap in my trunk

I'll take a shot at this.
1) From my reading of the rulebook (which is pretty much legalese and I find it difficult), you're either in SuperStock D or Street Prepared D, depending on how many points you're assessed for all those mods. I could be wildly mis-interpretting this, though.

2) I use a snowmobile helmet, rated Snell 2010. Not recommended for any climate warmer than Arctic, I sweat horribly in the summer events. Check with your local retailer, look for a place that sells dirtbikes and ATVs for decent selection.

3) It may work differently where you are, but here you are uninsured as long as you're on the racecourse, including the pits. If you damage your car, it's your problem. If you file a claim with your insurance company, that's fraud. Your local club will be able to explain any local variations, but I'm pretty sure it works this way everywhere unless you buy yourself some dedicated race insurance. The insurance the club has for each event covers damage to the facility / random idiots wandering onto course. Not for the cars.

4) Bolt that sucker down, or lose it. The rule isn't so your stuff doesn't get damaged, it's so nothing smacks you upside the face if you roll it. Maybe it seems like a minor risk to have that sub rattling around in the trunk, but allowing case-by-case exceptions to the rules would just make the organizer's lives exceptionally difficult. Get some straps and put some holes in your trunk upholstery.

EDIT: It's huge fun, do it do it do it do it!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
1. Most likely a variant of SM or some level of prepared.

2. You'll want to buy your own immediately after you go to an event that's in the rain and you're using a loaner. You can get SA2005 helmets for cheap now due to 2010s being out.

3. Depends on the state, but autocross IS a timed event. States like NC and TX don't have exclusions for things like track days because it falls under driver education. Racing against the clock is racing and therefore would not be covered in 99% of situations.

4. Bolt that poo poo down or lose it. If the thing is flying around in your trunk, you can do damage to the body panels from the inside. This doesn't cover the situation where poo poo goes really bad and it winds up hitting you inside of the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kalvick posted:

To know what car your class is, first you'll need to define what groups rules you need classing for!

For SCCA:

Stock 2001 Mustang GT - F-Stock.

With the mods you have, *most* of them would be legal in E-Street Prepared, but some of them are iffy. I'd have to go re-read the rules to be sure. In ESP you are allowed no internal engine mods, and I don't think you can change the intake (which is what I assume you mean by 'plenum'?).

Gears - depends on what gears. If it's a ratio that was offered on another Mustang year/model that's listed on the same line in the rule-book, then it's ESP legal, otherwise the gears take you straight to SM or CP.

Sub-Frame. They were discussing a subframe allowance in ESP, but I don't honestly know if it ever passed. You'll have to check the rule-book, and if it doesn't say you can use a SFC, then it's not ESP legal.

LCA's are probably the biggy that will boot you from ESP, but again, it's been 8 years since I ran ESP, so I haven't kept up on the rules.

Street Modified allows massive modification to your car, as long as you haven't removed any of the interior.

C-Prepared allows a gutted racecar pretty much, with some minimum weight restrictions (which you'll never hit with your car unless you gut it).

C-Prepared actually has a better index than Street Modified, and allows you to run full-on slicks, which are a hoot.

You have absolutely exceeded the rules limits for running in STX or STU, so the national level street tire classes are out.

Hopefully your local region has local street tire classes, and that way you can run in an indexed street tire class unless or until you are ready to step up to running Hoosiers, which are autocrossing crack, but much more expensive than the illegal crack.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They explain this to us in the drivers' meeting and I'm pretty sure it's an SCCA thing and not just local boogeyman speak, but if you wreck at the event, push the corpse out onto the street, claim insurance and the event organizers find out the locals have stated that you will be banned from North American events/reported to your insurance company and it has happened in the past.

Many clubs have loaner helmets available for use, though you might have to fight for or adopt a strange run schedule as a result of sharing those helmets with other people. If you end up liking it, a compliant helmet is very inexpensive. I use a closed-face Snell SA2010 but each club may choose to grandfather in significantly older helmets that are still reasonably safe.

Crashing is very rare, though I've seen it happen (first time in 10+ years apparently). Follow the organizers' guidelines and listen to the marshals and you'll be fine and have a fun day. Do it, it's a hoot.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 29, 2011

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
I bet this comes up a lot, but here it goes.

I've never been in an autocross, never been TO an autocross even, but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm definitely intrigued. There's an event near me happening soon(UNCG Park n Ride) and I'm thinking about going. I'm very nervous, though, and I'm wondering if I could(or should) just go as a spectator to see how it works and talk to some people there about it. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I drive a 96 Miata, one of the best autocross machines, or so I'm led to believe.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I've never been in an autocross, never been TO an autocross even, but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm definitely intrigued. There's an event near me happening soon(UNCG Park n Ride) and I'm thinking about going. I'm very nervous, though, and I'm wondering if I could(or should) just go as a spectator to see how it works and talk to some people there about it. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I drive a 96 Miata, one of the best autocross machines, or so I'm led to believe.

It's probably not necessary, but if you are really apprehensive about it you could go spectate and get a ton of passenger laps and really see how things go down. Just sign a waiver, and walk up and down the staging lane asking for rides. You'll have a blast spectating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mezmerized Machine posted:

You can just show up and watch, people are very friendly and like getting others involved from what I've experienced so far. I don't know about SCCA about non-participant ride alongs but all my local clubs allow them as long as the person signs a waiver and most instructors don't mind the extra ballast. Just bring a helmet if you do plan on going, most people don't have spares.

• Locked thread