Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Space_Butler posted:

Star Trek: The Next Generation is officially set for release on blu-ray. The sampler disc is being called "The Next Level" and will be released in January 2012, with a season 1 release later in the year. Full press release and trailer here: http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-blu-rays-launch-in-2012

Edit: The trailer is apparently crapping out for everyone, so here it is on YouTube.

So...$150 a season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WickedIcon posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 90s Gamera movies, which Mill Creek has been giving really good releases recently, not the lovely 60s movies Shout Factory are putting out.

Yup, these. Gamera 3 was supposed to come out yesterday but none of the stores around me have heard anything about it. On the one hand, I'm not surprised that Best Buy didn't get in a niche monster movie, but on the other hand I remember them having the Gamera 1 and 2 blu-ray box set on release day.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Granted, it's been a while since I saw it, but is City Of God really a movie that begs to have a "One man..." type tagline?

It's not you that's a really horrendous tag line for City of God.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
This tagline wasn't much better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sporadic posted:

City Of God is finally getting an American release by Lionsgate.

December 19, 2011 - $13.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005Q4CKLC

I only saw City of God about 3 or 4 months ago and I hate I was so late to the game, but for people that haven't seen it...do it now. It's easily, I think, one of the best movies of all time. It's amazing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So they put a visual 'hook' on the cover: The children with guns.

And then they go, "oh wait we can't have kids with guns on the cover" so they smudge the poo poo outta it in photoshop, sabotaging the picture's power completely.

At least it's got a chicken.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

So...$150 a season?

The sad part is I'd probably pay that. :(

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

akadajet posted:

The sad part is I'd probably pay that. :(

Me too. But for the later, actually good, seasons, and not the first two, very boring, seasons.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

Star Trek: The Next Generation is officially set for release on blu-ray. The sampler disc is being called "The Next Level" and will be released in January 2012,

I've never seen Star Trek before but this sounds great.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Electronico6 posted:

Me too. But for the later, actually good, seasons, and not the first two, very boring, seasons.

I've just started watching the series for the first time and almost done the first two seasons. They seem fine to me and have been very enjoyable so far. Season 1 is different though because of budget (I'm guessing) and ironing out the wrinkles. My guess is that season one will benefit the most from redone effects.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Dudebro posted:

I've just started watching the series for the first time and almost done the first two seasons. They seem fine to me and have been very enjoyable so far. Season 1 is different though because of budget (I'm guessing) and ironing out the wrinkles. My guess is that season one will benefit the most from redone effects.

Oh they are fine, until you watch the rest of the show. There's really huge leap of quality in terms of writing and everything else(Other opinions are available). Going back to those first two seasons is really bizarre, it looks the same and at the same time it's different. Though it is true that the first two seasons were riddled with problems, mainly in the writing department.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Blu-Ray.com just posted their review of Pulp Fiction.

Looks like Lionsgate knocked it out of the park. Quentin Tarantino supervised and approved transfer plus alot of extras.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pulp-Fiction-Blu-ray/3637/#Review

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 29, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I still think it looks worse than the transfers used for the various international discs. But they all seem like minor differences.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews54/pulp_fiction_blu-ray.htm

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sporadic posted:

Blu-Ray.com just posted their review of Pulp Fiction.

Looks like Lionsgate knocked it out of the park. Quentin Tarantino supervised and approved transfer plus alot of extras.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pulp-Fiction-Blu-ray/3637/#Review

Yeah, I saw this before and forgot to post it here. I'm sure the spergelords are going to throw a fit at some of the things mentioned in the PQ section, but honestly, if Quentin says that's how it's supposed to look, and it looks that good, I'm more than happy. Can't wait to finally own it on blu-ray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looks pretty fuzzy. DVDBeaver, if it is to be trusted, backs me up (Panorama vs. Lionsgate, notice the diners in the rear, the stone walls, and the white bar backer). But whatever, don't want Tarantino to bring his squadron of big-footed women to stomp me to death while he masturbates in the corner.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Electronico6 posted:

Oh they are fine, until you watch the rest of the show. There's really huge leap of quality in terms of writing and everything else(Other opinions are available). Going back to those first two seasons is really bizarre, it looks the same and at the same time it's different. Though it is true that the first two seasons were riddled with problems, mainly in the writing department.

The general consensus is wait until Riker has a beard.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
What's Amazon's turnaround time like on out-of-stock items? I want to get Grindhouse while it's still cheap.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Looks pretty fuzzy. DVDBeaver, if it is to be trusted, backs me up (Panorama vs. Lionsgate, notice the diners in the rear, the stone walls, and the white bar backer). But whatever, don't want Tarantino to bring his squadron of big-footed women to stomp me to death while he masturbates in the corner.

Not that I disagree, but isn't DVDBeaver notorious for dicking around with their screenshots?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

What's Amazon's turnaround time like on out-of-stock items? I want to get Grindhouse while it's still cheap.

Every time I've ordered something out-of-stock, I've generally gotten it a week or so earlier than they estimated. It's a little longer, but if you have Prime, it's not that bad.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Warner confirmed on their FB that Badlands and Altered States will be released on Blu-Ray at some point in the future.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yay, Badlands! The current DVD is so lovely, too.

RichterIX posted:

Not that I disagree, but isn't DVDBeaver notorious for dicking around with their screenshots?

Yeah, but in this case the fuzzy, washed out look seems to match.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Multiplesarcasm posted:

The general consensus is wait until Riker has a beard.

He's only beardless in season one and goddamn is it weird. The beard only works because it hides the extreme smugness of his face :smug: <--- Might as well be called :riker: (hah, didn't know this existed)

One of my favourite episodes is the traveller episode (Where No One Has Gone Before) from season one. Can't wait to see that in glorious 1080p.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What's the difference between the theatrical and extended editions of Rango?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

What's the difference between the theatrical and extended editions of Rango?

There's an alternate ending called "Dirt turns to Mud" where Dirt is now a beach resort and then a last scene of Rango on a clifftop giving a speech before he rides off into the sunset on a roadrunner.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover has a Region A Mexican import.

Review by Mondo Digital.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Looks like TNG won't be widescreen on Blu-Ray.

The Digital Bits posted:

Your first real look at the project is coming on 1/31/12 with the release of the Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level Blu-ray sampler disc (SRP $21.99 - we posted the cover art yesterday). As expected, the sampler disc will include Encounter at Farpoint, Sins of the Father and The Inner Light. Here's more from the official announcement on Star Trek.com:

"Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.

"Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of Star Trek: The Next Generation," Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Entertainment, said in a statement. "Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases."

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants."

Very, very cool! Boy, it's nice to have some official word on all this finally. Can't wait to see how good this show looks in 1080p! That recomposited shot of the NCC-1701-D in HD sure does look sweet. And as you can see by the announcement, it sure looks and sounds like they're doing this thing right. By the way, we're told that the show's original 1.33:1 aspect ratio will be preserved (and that's what you'll get on Blu-ray), but 1.78:1 versions may be created for use in certain distribution venues. We'll post more as it's available.
The zoom/crop isn't that harsh for TNG.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I wasn't expecting it to be. It'd be interesting to see a couple of widescreen episodes but overall, I'll be happy with the original ratio.

I'll be grabbing the sampler for sure- Sins of the Father is a great episode and I think The Inner Light is amazing. Unless I get a lot of extra cash, I don't think I'll be getting the first season for a while but seasons 3+ are must buys for me.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

hitze posted:

The zoom/crop isn't that harsh for TNG.

Where did you get this? It looks wrong on so many levels.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
What the hell does 1.78:1 created for "certain distribution venues" mean exactly?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Dudebro posted:

What the hell does 1.78:1 created for "certain distribution venues" mean exactly?

TV.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
TNG bluray? Hells yeah. Glad they're not loving with the aspect ratio - sure 16:9 would be nice, but if they framed it for 4:3 when filming, then that's how it's supposed to look.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Trump posted:

Where did you get this? It looks wrong on so many levels.
This bizarre looking place http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/ent_vs_tng.htm

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I highly doubt the 16:9 version of TNG remastered will be horizontally stretched like it was in Enterprise. They'll just crop more.

Very glad to know it'll be in 4:3 on the Blu-Ray though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover has a Region A Mexican import.

Review by Mondo Digital.

Ordered, thanks for the heads up.

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So they put a visual 'hook' on the cover: The children with guns.

And then they go, "oh wait we can't have kids with guns on the cover" so they smudge the poo poo outta it in photoshop, sabotaging the picture's power completely.

At least it's got a chicken.

I've got the City of God dvd with the cover like the post above yours (no chicken),they photoshopped out all the guns so they're all just pointing at the camera with finger guns, the lameness is a reproduction and nothing new sadly

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Terminator 2 (Skynet Edition) dropped to $5.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001RIY4WE

- edit And The Others is the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0058ZPNUE

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 3, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sporadic posted:

Terminator 2 (Skynet Edition) dropped to $5.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001RIY4WE

I know this has probably been asked, but the Skynet Edition is the non-poo poo one, right?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

I know this has probably been asked, but the Skynet Edition is the non-poo poo one, right?

I think it is. The Skynet version is the latest release of Terminator 2 from Lionsgate.

Last time I seen the movie was on HD-DVD from Studio Canal. I thought it was really impressive.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Amazon.co.uk has Fight Club and Braveheart for 2.97 each which is a good deal, even though you have to wait a week for it to restock.

Also, you have no idea how happy this makes me :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's December releases announced on Blu-Ray.com

December 13th:
Seven Chances (1926, Buster Keaton)
Sherlock Holmes (1922, starring John Barrymore)

December 27th:
A Farewell to Arms (1932, Frank Borzage)
Nothing Sacred (1937, William A. Wellman)

Seven Chances has beautiful 35mm material available, as the previous DVD was easily the best-looking of all of the Keaton releases. The 1922 Sherlock Holmes apparently has a surviving camera negative.

Edit: The Digital Bits reports A Farewell to Arms and Nothing Sacred are sourced from 35mm prints held by "David O. Selznick's Estate". UCLA restored the former from the 35mm camera negative for Warner Bros. years ago. Nothing Sacred was restored from the 3-strip negatives by Disney in the 1990s. I guess these are editions just taking advantage of the public domain status rather than licensing the restorations.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 4, 2011

• Locked thread