Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
If the lady wants potato and jam then the lady gets potato and jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I need to transport two pints of homemade ice cream on a 2-hour train journey. What's the best way to do this without arriving at my destination with two pints of tasty chilled soup? Will a cooler filled with ice be sufficient? (Since I'll be on public transportation, I bet they'd frown on me using dry ice.)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Macaroni posted:

I need to transport two pints of homemade ice cream on a 2-hour train journey. What's the best way to do this without arriving at my destination with two pints of tasty chilled soup? Will a cooler filled with ice be sufficient? (Since I'll be on public transportation, I bet they'd frown on me using dry ice.)

Pack a cooler with tons of salted ice, a la classroom ice cream. Should be enough to get the ice cream there, but it will probably still be pretty soft when you arrive.

EDIT: If you have the freezer space, you might even want to pack it in the cooler with the salted ice then try and chill the open cooler overnight in the freezer. Then again, not sure if a home freezer will be cool enough to freeze salted ice.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 29, 2011

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why would you salt the ice? That will speed up the melting process. I get that it will get colder quicker, but it will be cold for a shorter amount of time. Won't it? Am I being stupid?

Also, I've taken dry ice on the bus loads of times. No-one has ever cared.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Why would you salt the ice? That will speed up the melting process. I get that it will get colder quicker, but it will be cold for a shorter amount of time. Won't it? Am I being stupid?

Salt doesn't heat it up, it just lowers the melting point of the water. The water then makes better contact with the vessel, keeping it cold better. How long it stays cold will be a function of the insulation.

Aren't you the science guy?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm going to make some pulled pork sandwiches for a football party this weekend. Most of the recipes I see are along the lines of:

The party is going to be a come and go thing throughout the day, so I'd like to keep the slow cooker on low once the BBQ sauce is mixed in to keep the meat warm/non-toxic. BBQ sauce can be kind of think, though.

My intuition tells me to reserve some of the beef broth and drippings and add that in if things get too thick/dry in the slow cooker.

Is this correct? And is there anything else wrong with my plan?

Whenever I do pulled pork I douse the bottom of the slow cooker in a bit of Worcestershire, before giving the pork a spattering of it as well. Pack the skin tight with brown sugar, throw a quartered onion in there, and set it on low for ~8 hours.

After it is done I take it out and shred it onto a baking sheet that goes into a 200F oven while I pour the drippings into a sauce pan. Add some ketchup, salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and reduce for a little while. Add some corn syrup to thicken it up if you are impatient and don't want to wait it out. I may be forgetting something, I have it written down somewhere- but truth is with those drippings you really don't have to do much to it.

Return everything to the slow cooker and set to Keep Warm or whatever you've got and call it a day.

Potato buns make the sandwich even better!

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

I have a question about oats in bread baking.
I'm trying to make a recipe for a rolled oat bread here and am using a combination of all purpose flour, rolled oats, and oat flour (i just pulsed rolled oats in a food processor until it was fine).
I basically did a 1:1 flour to oats and ended up with a giant stringy mass. Gluten was formed, but it was this gummy super sticky stuff. Does anyone know about working with oats? What percentage should I be using this stuff at? It's rising right now, but the dough never got elastic and it looks puffy like under-kneaded wheat dough. :(

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Scientastic posted:

Also, I've taken dry ice on the bus loads of times. No-one has ever cared.

Yeah, I thought of the faster melting time after my reply, hence the edit. I figure salted ice + more freezer time = more cold for longer. I'll defer to your knowledge if you think it won't work that way.

EDIT: And of course I don't see FGR's response before posting. Time for an experiment I guess?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Salt doesn't heat it up, it just lowers the melting point of the water. The water then makes better contact with the vessel, keeping it cold better. How long it stays cold will be a function of the insulation.

Aren't you the science guy?

Yeah, but if the melting point of the ice is lowered, that means that the ice will become water faster. The energy required to turn ice into water is lot more than the energy required to heat up water. This is not a closed system, energy will be coming in, no matter how good the insulation. Therefore, if you want the temperature to be low for a long period of time, it seems to me that you would want to slow down the process of melting the ice. I understand why a salt/ice/water mix is colder, but I don't think it is the solution, as the salt would reduce the longevity of the ice.

That was my thinking, anyway. I am perfectly prepared to admit that I might be wrong.

pnumoman posted:

Time for an experiment I guess?
YES! I don't know that I have sufficient ice available. A properly controlled experiment should be simple enough to carry out. I hypothesise that the salt/ice/water will be colder, but that ice alone will last longer.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Hmm - usually salting ice/water is intended to cool something down fast. Water makes better contact than ice, and so it's better at cooling. By salting the ice/water, you can have a liquid that's colder than 32 degrees. But will it keep something cold longer? I don't know.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, but if the melting point of the ice is lowered, that means that the ice will become water faster. The energy required to turn ice into water is lot more than the energy required to heat up water. This is not a closed system, energy will be coming in, no matter how good the insulation. Therefore, if you want the temperature to be low for a long period of time, it seems to me that you would want to slow down the process of melting the ice. I understand why a salt/ice/water mix is colder, but I don't think it is the solution, as the salt would reduce the longevity of the ice.

That was my thinking, anyway. I am perfectly prepared to admit that I might be wrong.

YES! I don't know that I have sufficient ice available. A properly controlled experiment should be simple enough to carry out. I hypothesise that the salt/ice/water will be colder, but that ice alone will last longer.

What you need to meassure is when the temp rises to above 0 degrees (or +37 or whatever it is the hedonistic fahrenheit prescribes) - when that point is reached with both of them - that is what is interesting, not wether the ice is melted or not.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I agree. I maintain my original hypothesis, though. The ice alone will take longer to rise above zero than a salt/ice/water mix.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough ice, or a thermometer, so I can't do the experiment today. If no-one has carried it out by tomorrow, I will get the necessary equipment and do it.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Meningism posted:

Sorry, looks like dumplings covers a wider variety of things than I thought. Jiaozi seems closest to what I'm thinking off.

Maybe something to go with some steamed rice? She's also sensitive to things like onion, and some fruit.

A crispy slaw-style salad might be nice - shredded carrot and cabbage (with or without broccoli stems) tossed in a light dressing that complements the flavours of the dumplings. You could also float the dumplings in a broth-based soup, which should be gluten-free unless you add something like wheat-containing soy sauce to it. If the dumplings aren't meaty dumplings, maybe a meat dish would be appropriate, and most of those are gluten-free unless you actively add flour or are using a gluten-containing prepared sauce. I wouldn't serve rice if dumplings are the main course - that's a lot of starch!

As for the other gluten-free question asker (potato and jam? Seriously?), make this cake as a layer cake and put jam between the layers.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Scientastic posted:

I agree. I maintain my original hypothesis, though. The ice alone will take longer to rise above zero than a salt/ice/water mix.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough ice, or a thermometer, so I can't do the experiment today. If no-one has carried it out by tomorrow, I will get the necessary equipment and do it.
Wow, didn't realize I'd spark such a fascinating discussion. I think I'll go with ice alone, but I'm eager to hear of any experimental results that others come up with.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

May I suggest the following:

1. Bring a thermos to exact temperature by heating it with boiling water, remove water from thermos at 90 degrees, and then add ice - meassure and log time for it to hit above 0 degrees.

2. Do the same prep work with the thermos, and then add ice sprinkled with 5% salt (by weight for water) - meassure and log time for it to hit above 0 degrees

3. Repeat 2 by with 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% untill you hit 40%

Draw a nice excel diagram

Edit: Oh - and you need to somehow adjust for the surface area of the ice, such that it will not bleed heat faster or slower just because of increased surface area contact to the air.. Hmm - can you do it in a vacuum too please?

(Yeah - this is all about surface areas I think)

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2011

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

(Yeah - this is all about surface areas I think)

I was wondering if more contact with the outside of the cooler, insulated or not, would end up being detrimental compared to touching air. Gasses in general aren't as good at heat transfer as solids.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Dogfish posted:

As for the other gluten-free question asker (potato and jam? Seriously?), make this cake as a layer cake and put jam between the layers.

Have you tried making that cake? It looks interesting but kind of suspicious and I'm not sure how much I trust the article comments.

A simple suggestion would be latkes with apple jelly; just choose a recipe that doesn't use bread crumbs/flour and fry them in a pan with fresh oil. Goes great with pork. But I would seriously want to know the context of this "potato and jam" thing.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

anyone have a recipe for cabbage rolls that doesn't use rice in the filling and tomatoes in the sauce?

If you've been to Alpine Village in Torrance, CA and you've eaten in the little cafe attached to the supermarket, I want their cabbage rolls! They're delicious. (And if you're in CA and you like german sausages or just fantastic coldcuts, you should go there. Also, Oktoberfest time, eh?)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Not using rice is as simple as, well, not using rice. You might want to mix in some breadcrumbs or other filler to lighten them up a little bit.

But sauce without the tomatoes--well, I don't see why you couldn't just cook them in beef broth, maybe with a dash of red wine. After they're cooked, you could reduce the sauce a little bit and make a brown gravy of it. (I'm assuming that the sauce wouldn't taste too cabbbage-y if it were reduced.)

Edit: Now that I think of it, Asian-style cabbage rolls would be awesome. For the filling, ground beef (and/or pork), green onions, garlic, ginger, and a bit of soy sauce and black pepper. Wrap in cabbage, braise in chicken broth with a dash of sesame oil until finished. Serve with a dipping sauce of soy, vinegar, and chili sauce. They'd be like dumplings/potstickers, just with cabbage leaves as wrappers.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 29, 2011

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Scientastic posted:

I understand what you're saying, that the energy required to change the solid ice to liquid water being high - it seems like you'd have the energy better sequestered (out) of the system as long as the ice is mostly solid. But the thing of it is - once you have most of your solid ice surrounded by water that is below freezing, then it will maintain more of the solid ice longer because it's insulated by colder water.

I don't give a crap though. I just wanted to post this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So are you guys saying it takes more energy to raise 1 gram of ice 1 degree than it does to raise one gram of liquid water one degree?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Another thing to do with ice cream: with the potential for freezing and refreezing (delayed train, adding transit to and from the station, putting it in a freezer at the destination), there's a good chance for it getting big crunchy bits of ice rather than your smooth homemade dessert.

Why not take the ice cream maker and pack the ingredients in plastic bags inside the chilled bowl? They might be room temperature by your destination, but then you can plug it in and make your ice cream.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
The bowl would probably be too warm by then.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Take the ice cream, put the carton in a ziplock bag. Seal it. Put the ziplocked ice cream in a slightly larger ziplock, fill with water, place in freezer a few hours before leaving. Then put frozen ice cream in a cooler with a few ice packs. This is the best way.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
The best way is just to put it in a cooler with dry ice and it will stay solid for hours. Just make sure to leave a vent open.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

So are you guys saying it takes more energy to raise 1 gram of ice 1 degree than it does to raise one gram of liquid water one degree?

Nope - that is my point I think!

Scientastic: You need to be able to state how many kilojoule that is used for each of the two - my guess would be that 1g of water would demand 1 calorie, or 4.2 joule to raise 1*c..

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't post here ever, but I'd like to know what GWS thinks of these.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VanSandman posted:

I don't post here ever, but I'd like to know what GWS thinks of these.

I'm pretty sure someone made them in the old cookie thread, and the consensus was they are delicious.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Nope - that is my point I think!
It takes 1 calorie to raise a gram of liquid 1 C and about 80 calories to change the same size chunk of ice into liquid water. This is weird but part of "latent heat" and has to do with phase changes between solid to liquid and other whacky stuff. It's pretty amazing and the best part is that the early experiments were done so that whiskey distillers in Scotland could more effectively calculate how much fuel they'd need to run their stills.

Gettin' tanked, doing science.

To the person asking about transporting ice cream - use dry ice. It will keep your ice cream rock solid for the entire trip. Just make sure your cooler doesn't have a locking lid and you'll be fine. It'll need to "burp" once in a while.

For a neat trick that takes advantage of phase changes in matter, grab a paper bag, fill it 2/3rds with water and then hang it over a campfire. You can bring it to a boil just fine without the bag igniting because all the water in the bag has to be boiled off before the bag can burn. It's mostly fun as a campfire demo but it's still fun to do once in a while. Hell, I've cooked eggs in paper bags for fun.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 30, 2011

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

pr0k posted:

I don't give a crap though. I just wanted to post this.

You post that, I post this

:nws: http://www.thebuttmaster.com/

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Ice Cream Transportation Results

Containment procedure:

1. At 1900 hrs yesterday, I set my freezer to -8º F, its lowest temp.
2. At 2300 hrs last night, I put a layer of ice in the cooler to chill the internal temperature.
3. At 0510 this morning, I dumped out the ice and accumulated water, then put in the two ice cream containers and covered them with ice cubes:

4. Arrived at my office at 0810, and found that not only had the ice cream not melted, the ice cubes themselves were largely intact. The ice cream was still so firm that it withstood being turned sideways: (edit: the ice cream in this photo is actually tilted sideways; either my iPhone or imgur helpfully rotated the image without asking me)

So hey, it worked out ok. To be fair, I was traveling in the wee hours of the morning when it was cool, and this isn't exactly a blazing summer day. But I'm still glad. Sweet potato pie ice cream and vanilla bean ice cream, ahoy!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It takes more energy to raise one gram of water by one degree than it does to raise a gram of ice one degree.

Specific heat of water: 4.187 kJ/kgK
Specific heat of ice: 2.108 kJ/kgK

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

you guys are chatting.. aren't you?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

squigadoo posted:

Pricing Stuff

I know I'm a few days late on this, but another good tip when looking for food on the cheap, is to shop around for your produce. Don't just go to your local Safeway-alike. Look for ethnic markets and produce stands - you can often find better quality fruits and veggies for cheap than they'll be at the supermarket, but you do need to look around and try out different stores to see what's good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm having a hard time finding Field Corn for making Hominy. The Spanish markets have dried and fresh masa, but no plain dried corn.

Is there any reason why I can't just go to the farm supply store and buy a bag of horse feed?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm having a hard time finding Field Corn for making Hominy. The Spanish markets have dried and fresh masa, but no plain dried corn.

Is there any reason why I can't just go to the farm supply store and buy a bag of horse feed?

All you'll find at a feed store is cracked corn, which you don't want.

At the Mexican market, they should have plain dehydrated hominy, if it's the end result you're looking for. If you just want to try your hand at nixtamalization, then you can probably see if you can find some from a natural foods store.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you just want to try your hand at nixtamalization,

I didn't buy Pickling Lime for nothing!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

you can probably see if you can find some from a natural foods store.

A "Natural Foods Store"?

Didn't Wholefoods put them all out of business? I haven't seen one in years.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I'm heading out to the fish place to grab salmon and tuna for sushi night, tomorrow. Is this cool or should I wait until tomorrow? I assume it works like other fish and I can just keep it in the fridge for a day or two, but I'm new to making sushi.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Buy it frozen and move it from the freezer to the fridge tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I didn't buy Pickling Lime for nothing!

A "Natural Foods Store"?

Didn't Wholefoods put them all out of business? I haven't seen one in years.

They're around if you look - they'll usually be co-ops, etc. Otherwise, you can probably just get field corn seed, but you'll be buying 100 pounds at a time.