Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

SlightlyMadman posted:

I can't imagine how that could happen, unless a car pushed you off. Unless you simply weren't attempting to turn at all, and hit the sidewall basically head-on, you'd be leaned inside the ramp, not outside, and it basically shouldn't be possible to be thrown over the guard rail. I guess it could happen if you went in too hot, panicked and tried to brake, then went into a skid and high-sided over it, but getting past that SR should basically be the first thing that anyone does as a new rider (at least anyone who's smart enough to be reading these forums).

Looking at the street view, it seems to me like the barrier there isn't as high as I'd have expected for a raised fly-over: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensa...245.99,,0,21.39 Usually those seem to be nearly shoulder-high, and that one seems to be only as high as the bed of the pickup in the street view image.

Also, with a Harley, leaned full over isn't really all that far over. Hitting the wall at that angle could cause the bike to pop upright, tossing her over the wall...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Boat posted:

Looking at the street view, it seems to me like the barrier there isn't as high as I'd have expected for a raised fly-over: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensa...245.99,,0,21.39 Usually those seem to be nearly shoulder-high, and that one seems to be only as high as the bed of the pickup in the street view image.

Also, with a Harley, leaned full over isn't really all that far over. Hitting the wall at that angle could cause the bike to pop upright, tossing her over the wall...?

My commute home across a ~60ft high overpass has barriers like that, they're only really waist height; I could see how someone hitting it could toss them over pretty easily, it's entered my mind more than a few times when I've had sketchy moments merging into traffic on the 5.

I know it probably doesn't seem pertinent to reporters, and a 30 foot fall is a heck of a thing, but I wish they would report how much gear people are wearing when they fatally wreck. My girlfriend's dad was in the ICU and his "roommate" was in because he wrecked in a similar fashion and was beat all to hell. Nobody asked what kind of gear he was wearing (and I maybe unfairly assume since he was an older dude he was on a harley in a t-shirt and skid lid), but I've had to really talk them into not thinking motorcycles are death-machines since I'm ATGATT, took my MSF, and don't ride like a dong.

Not saying this makes me invincible, and poo poo happens, but I always wonder about the gear in accidents since hearing about Z3n's helmet-sliding high-speed off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

himajinga posted:

My commute home across a ~60ft high overpass has barriers like that, they're only really waist height; I could see how someone hitting it could toss them over pretty easily, it's entered my mind more than a few times when I've had sketchy moments merging into traffic on the 5.

I know it probably doesn't seem pertinent to reporters, and a 30 foot fall is a heck of a thing, but I wish they would report how much gear people are wearing when they fatally wreck. My girlfriend's dad was in the ICU and his "roommate" was in because he wrecked in a similar fashion and was beat all to hell. Nobody asked what kind of gear he was wearing (and I maybe unfairly assume since he was an older dude he was on a harley in a t-shirt and skid lid), but I've had to really talk them into not thinking motorcycles are death-machines since I'm ATGATT, took my MSF, and don't ride like a dong.

Not saying this makes me invincible, and poo poo happens, but I always wonder about the gear in accidents since hearing about Z3n's helmet-sliding high-speed off.

If you wanna see someone fall that and survive, check out this link:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327985

He was so amazingly loving lucky that an SUV was illegally parked:

as it saved his life. An estimated 35 foot fall off a freeway overpass, on to the hood of a car, as a result of a car hitting him as he approached the corner.

Here's the fall (he went through the middle gap between the overpasses).

Here's how I look at it:

Modern gear is going to protect you from one thing: Roadrash. Everything else is up to luck and how you fall. Broken bones can be avoided with gear but not entirely prevented, you can basically take things down one level of severity with gear, from broken bones to bad bruising, from shattered bones to broken ones, from road rash to tender skin. That's it. The rest of it is simply a matter of luck and not crashing in the first place.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 29, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Lots of the barriers around here aren't that high for someone on a bike, and there was an accident on a bridge earlier this year where a guy got hit and went over the side. Really awful stupid accident.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110624/NEWS01/110624006/Motorist-s-body-recovered-from-Ohio-River-man-identified

It's made me move towards the center lanes in bridges since.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Z3n posted:

He was so amazingly loving lucky that an SUV was illegally parked:
as it saved his life. An estimated 35 foot fall off a freeway overpass, on to the hood of a car, as a result of a car hitting him as he approached the corner.

Wow, that's incredible, what odds. Yeah, unless I'm entering or exiting I'm always centered on the overpasses and bridges around here. On one side of the bridge I commute home on is an 150 foot drop to an industrial area, and the other side is an 150 foot drop into to the Wilamette River. Just the thought of it makes me want to start commuting in this. That and practicing my emergency reflexes in empty parking lots more.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I don't know where to put this, but since I didn't put the bike down, here.

I got sideswiped. I'm in the far-right lane going through an intersection, when a guy comes to the red light and makes a right turn into the lane to the left of mine, then keeps turning into me, then into a parking lot. I got on the brakes, kicked the door, and stopped behind him.

I yelled, asking if his insurance would buy my broken blinker; and he said he didn't have insurance. I flipped him off, and left.

I should have gotten his plate, called the cops, punch him in his stupid mouth with an armored glove, something. But I was late for work, and didn't want the hassle. The turn signal was broken anyway; I've already fixed it with epoxy once, it can't look any worse and it still blinks.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't know where to put this, but since I didn't put the bike down, here.

I got sideswiped. I'm in the far-right lane going through an intersection, when a guy comes to the red light and makes a right turn into the lane to the left of mine, then keeps turning into me, then into a parking lot. I got on the brakes, kicked the door, and stopped behind him.

I yelled, asking if his insurance would buy my broken blinker; and he said he didn't have insurance. I flipped him off, and left.

I should have gotten his plate, called the cops, punch him in his stupid mouth with an armored glove, something. But I was late for work, and didn't want the hassle. The turn signal was broken anyway; I've already fixed it with epoxy once, it can't look any worse and it still blinks.

Almost got sideswiped yesterday, I was turning right onto a road where one lane becomes two and the person oncoming in the left lane just drifted across her lane and into mine and I had to swerve into the shoulder to avoid getting clipped by the back third of her car; she didn't even notice me until I rocketed up to her at the next light yelling and waving my arms around like a maniac.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
It's been a week of assholes trying to pull out on me, but that's nothing particularly unusual.

Tonight while I was out Riding Like a DongTM, I hit some gravel going around a really nasty little tight corner that I've been trying to master for years. I was hanging off the inside (I've been practicing moving around and hanging off more) and I managed to slide both the front and the rear momentarily but I stayed on the throttle and recovered :c00l: like a bawss.

I've only had someone turn into me once, when I was on my pushbike. I was lane splitting through stationary traffic when this woman in an (otherwise empty) minivan decides to turn off to a side road, she flicked her indicators on as she pulled out and away, while I was along side her. Managed to stay upright but I took off the lens of her tiny side indicator with my handlebars.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

On the weekend I was merging onto a freeway, just as I'm checking over my shoulder and roll on the throttle I notice the cars in front of me have decided to stop instead of merging. Jumped on the brakes and moved slightly outter of the lane, ended up level with the car 2 in front of me before i could realise.

Lessons learnt? Stay further back and don't assume other drivers aren't complete idiots who can't merge at speed.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Some rear end in a top hat tried to door me the other day when I was splitting through stopped traffic. I was only going like 10 mph though, which gave me plenty of time to move out of the way. I'm not sure what he really thought was going to happen at that speed, besides a hosed up door and a fully armored dude beating him senseless.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I would have stopped, and beat him senseless for that.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Bondematt posted:

I would have stopped, and beat him senseless for that.

Ya no poo poo, that deserved a response.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Was it possible he just happened to open his door to get a caught seatbelt or dump some ice or something?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

aventari posted:

Was it possible he just happened to open his door to get a caught seatbelt or dump some ice or something?

If he didn't notice the guy riding up on him, that's almost as bad.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure it was intentional, because he opened it just a crack when I was still a car back, and then tried to pop it out as I got close. Actually, if he hadn't started by opening it up a crack like that in preparation, he might have gotten me.

As for beating him senseless, I was so busy being exited that I avoided it (same as with any near-crash I manage to outmaneuver) that it didn't actually even occur to me. I just wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'm pretty sure it was intentional, because he opened it just a crack when I was still a car back, and then tried to pop it out as I got close. Actually, if he hadn't started by opening it up a crack like that in preparation, he might have gotten me.

As for beating him senseless, I was so busy being exited that I avoided it (same as with any near-crash I manage to outmaneuver) that it didn't actually even occur to me. I just wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

Jerks probably wouldn't do this if they thought it was possible that there was a cute chick on the bike.

Everyone get pink helmets, tight pants and lady cut jackets!! I just solved 10% of motorcycle accidents. Or more! Who knows how many lives I've changed!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

You are a loving genius. I'm not sure any girl at 6'1" and 190lbs could qualify as "cute," but a pink tutu and some hello kitty stickers can't hurt, right?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I was moving this weekend. In doing so, I loaded probably 100 lbs of stuff onto my KLR650 and rode it to my new place. There was a funny grumbling noise that varied with speed, and it was handling funny. I figured that was just the extra weight.

This morning, I rode it to work. The grumbling noise was still there, and it was still handling funny. When I say funny, I mean the back end felt wobbly when turning in. I got to work and checked, turns out my rear tire was flatter than Kansas. My head filled with visions of the tire slipping off the wheel and getting stuck between the wheel and the swingarm, locking my rear. Very slowly, I took my bike over to the shop (about two blocks away).

tl;dr: I rode to work with a flat tire. Didn't realize how close I was to high-siding into morning rush-hour traffic.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SlightlyMadman posted:

You are a loving genius. I'm not sure any girl at 6'1" and 190lbs could qualify as "cute," but a pink tutu and some hello kitty stickers can't hurt, right?

Shave your legs - problem solved!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Saga posted:

Shave your legs - problem solved!

No way man, I'm All The Hair All The Time!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

No way man, I'm All The Hair All The Time!

I dated a girl like that once.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Safety Dance posted:

I dated a girl like that once.

ONCE!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think we all have at some time in our lives.

But there's a certain point where we realize it's not as pleasurable as we might think to be tickled when we kiss a lady-friend.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I think we all have at some time in our lives.

But there's a certain point where we realize it's not as pleasurable as we might think to be tickled when we kiss a lady-friend.

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad I've moved on. Speaking of which, when I dropped the bike off at the shop, I chatted with the owner and handed him the keys (he was just opening up, and there was nobody in the waiting room area to put the bike into the computer). He said he'd probably have it done by 1. 1:00 came and went. 2:00 came and went. At 2:30, I called them up, and the girl who works there couldn't find the bike in their computer. She went back and asked the owner. I heard him shout "Sorry!" in the background. They had the tube replaced by 4:30, but it was too late for me to pick the bike up at that point, so I'll have to play [something*] with my girlfriend and cars tomorrow.

*What's that game with n chairs and n+1 people? It'll come to me just as I'm falling asleep.

Edit: Musical Chairs!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 25, 2011

Ace944
Jan 28, 2009
I was on my way home last night in the middle of no where when some creature either flew or jumped towards me. It hit my left wrist and then nailed me dead center in the chest knocking the wind out of me while the creature let out the saddest squeak as it bounced off my chest. I manged to hold it straight until I recovered and when I got home my chest was bruised from the impact and my left wrist was sore. I wish I knew what it was but thanks to my jacket it dulled the impact.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Ace944 posted:

I was on my way home last night in the middle of no where when some creature either flew or jumped towards me. It hit my left wrist and then nailed me dead center in the chest knocking the wind out of me while the creature let out the saddest squeak as it bounced off my chest. I manged to hold it straight until I recovered and when I got home my chest was bruised from the impact and my left wrist was sore. I wish I knew what it was but thanks to my jacket it dulled the impact.

Wow, that's crazy. I always wonder about this as sometimes birds will almost fly right into me as I'm riding but I've never actually hit one. A friend of mine was riding ahead of me and almost got creamed by a turkey vulture; probably would've knocked him off the bike at the speed we were going.

The other day it started raining again, and my first rainy ride in months proved to me that my braking practice is starting to get me in some good habits. I was riding and came up to an intersection with a stop sign that was mostly obscured by unpruned trees and I didn't notice it until I was almost through it. I tried to brake but the fresh rain made the road so slick I almost immediately locked up the front. I had about half a second of OH poo poo I'M hosed front end movement before I let go and reapplied more softly but locked them again and let go and reapplied a third time even more progressively and came to a stop. Had I not been practicing my emergency stops kind of a lot the last month or so I'd probably have eaten poo poo. Took a minute or two at that stop to collect myself and decided to take a route I knew a little better.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 27, 2011

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

himajinga posted:

Wow, that's crazy. I always wonder about this as sometimes birds will almost fly right into me as I'm riding but I've never actually hit one. A friend of mine was riding ahead of me and almost got creamed by a turkey vulture; probably would've knocked him off the bike at the speed we were going.

A sparrow or something hit the rear quarterpanel of my friend's S2000 while he was doing about 50. I could see the same happening here. Glad you're okay.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
I did a silly thing today.

At a red light I realized I still had my left turn signal on. No big deal, I'll just actually turn left because that road looks like it runs parallel to the road I want anyway. Same place different route! Nice, off I go, hey what's that headli- OH HEY ONE WAY STREET AND IT'S NOT MY WAY.

Don't mind me, fellow commuters, while I swerve in embarrassment and ride in the oncoming lane for 4 seconds before I get room to slouch back to where I should be.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

New one for me but from what ive seen its not uncommon. Can be summed up in two words - disc lock. Was having a chat to some family, show them the new bike, they walk off (fortunately) then i put in helmet and gloves and completely forget i've a disc lock on. As i go to take off the bike lurches, stops and starts heading to the ground. Luckily it weighs three fifths of gently caress all and I catch it before it goes.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

E: double post

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If anyone ever stops to chat while I'm hopping on my bike, I'm pretty much 100% guaranteed to forget about my disc lock. Thankfully, I usually either back out of my spot (at work) or edge forward slowly and carefully into traffic (at home), so I'm never going fast when it hits.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Always put your disc lock either against the suspension or the brake caliper depending on how you intend to move out of the parking spot! :)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Ace944 posted:

I was happily riding along at 60 or 70 one day, and out the corner of my eye I saw a little black streak move past my left side. I thought I must have missed it, but when I stopped to fill up I noticed a bunch of feathers wedged in near the handlebars :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I forgot my disc lock while I was pushing my bike around the yard 2 weeks ago and cracked my front fender :(

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I forgot my disc lock while I was pushing my bike around the yard 2 weeks ago and cracked my front fender :(

Hang on, don't you live in the inner west? How do you have a yard large enough to fit a bike in, let alone push it round?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aargh posted:

Hang on, don't you live in the inner west? How do you have a yard large enough to fit a bike in, let alone push it round?

I live in a small cottage in Enmore, heaps of places have courtyards that'll fit a bike.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I live in a small cottage in Enmore, heaps of places have courtyards that'll fit a bike.

I was just kidding with you, i could probably fit my bike in my back yard too, if it will fit through the front door first.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Rear lane access :smug:

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
On the topic of avian near-misses, I had a bird adjust my mirror for me at 60mph. Don't know what kind it was, or where it came from, just a black streak and a very small thump. It didn't leave behind any feathers, and I didn't see anything lying in the road, so I guess it survived. It makes you wonder what would have happened if I had been a fraction of a second faster; probably I'd be posting in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Monster
Oct 29, 2000

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

On the topic of avian near-misses, I had a bird adjust my mirror for me at 60mph. Don't know what kind it was, or where it came from, just a black streak and a very small thump. It didn't leave behind any feathers, and I didn't see anything lying in the road, so I guess it survived. It makes you wonder what would have happened if I had been a fraction of a second faster; probably I'd be posting in the other thread.

To the black squirrel from 2003, I slowed way down and I honked and I shouted at you but you suddenly spun at the last possible instant and put your head under my front wheel. You monster. I will never forgive you.

• Locked thread