Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Micgael posted:

Just chiming in to say holy poo poo Ultimates 2. I think it may be my favorite single issue of anything in the ultimate universe to date.

Thorson vs Reed is going to be interesting. I really hope this fleshes out Reed's motivations now that he's had 1000 years to ponder them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So I had started reading Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Volume 2 because I was curious about this Miles Morales character. I have to say I really like him.

But it was all this talk about Ultimates #2 that finally got me to see what else is going on in Ultimate Comics. I read through Fallout, which I'm sure would have been much better if I had read any Ultimate comics before, but at the very least it did a good job of setting up the coming conflicts.

And then reading through Ultimates #1 and #2... holy gently caress. Holy loving fuuuuck. gently caress! Man! gently caress!

I don't know what it is that made Richards into such a super bastard, but I loving love the story that is being built on that premise. This poo poo is nuts. "Off the hook," as it were!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Evil Sagan posted:

I don't know what it is that made Richards into such a super bastard, but I loving love the story that is being built on that premise. This poo poo is nuts. "Off the hook," as it were!

I would sincerely like to ask you to NOT look up why Richards fell the way he did. Likely it will come up in story, and I'd genuinely like to see if he can be written as a credible villain now without any baggage.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I would sincerely like to ask you to NOT look up why Richards fell the way he did. Likely it will come up in story, and I'd genuinely like to see if he can be written as a credible villain now without any baggage.

Hell I read the stuff where he became a bad guy and I still don't fully know why he became a bad guy.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
http://i.imgur.com/sAWcZ.jpg is pretty much the shortest summary.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Terror Sweat posted:

Hell I read the stuff where he became a bad guy and I still don't fully know why he became a bad guy.

He has Lex Luthorism, where he thinks he can fix everything, but people keep stopping him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

from what I can tell, the biggest differences in the ultimate book was that Gwen Stacey didn't die (one of the most important events in comic book history) and Norman Osborn was some kinda extreme 90's monster man. and though in hindsight I'm sure it was written much better this time around, I just couldn't get interested in more of the same regurgitated (cartoons, tv show, movies) Peter Parker stories

this new spider-man book is at least an attempt to put a different spin on the character, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit

I'm glad you're enjoying the new book, but it kinda sounds like you've never actually read Ultimate Spider-man, which would be a huge shame. Some of the USM villains and their relationships with Peter made for some of the best comics I've ever read. Ultimate Shocker's arc was particularly incredible, as was the enmity between Ultimate Kingpin and Spidey. Ultimate Peter definitely is just a different version of the classic character at his core, but he still had many key differences, not the least of which being that all his trials came when he was still an idealistic teenager, and his story was still a tale worth reading. Except maybe that story about the Swedish dude who blew up cars when he was drunk.

Mister Roboto posted:

One difference, though, is that Peter Parker is dead. So there can't be a retaking of the mantle like in all the other legacy hero stories.

I HOPE Bendis retains enough control over the title to not allow someone stupid to resurrect him.

*Loeb casts a wicked shadow 'pon the wall*

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

Ultimates 2 was indeed really interesting. But I feel I've seen too many Asgardian last stands to make this really hit home. I'm also a bit curious as to why they decided to attack as they did in the first place.

The genius of the society that Reed created is that they act as one huge organism unleashed on the world. It is like they are part biological computer and part world destroying virus.

They were told to control the world, and when presented with something that could actually stop them, figured out a way to neutralize it.

Also, something tells me that Hickman read a bunch about this before writing this story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm glad you're enjoying the new book, but it kinda sounds like you've never actually read Ultimate Spider-man, which would be a huge shame. Some of the USM villains and their relationships with Peter made for some of the best comics I've ever read. Ultimate Shocker's arc was particularly incredible, as was the enmity between Ultimate Kingpin and Spidey. Ultimate Peter definitely is just a different version of the classic character at his core, but he still had many key differences, not the least of which being that all his trials came when he was still an idealistic teenager, and his story was still a tale worth reading. Except maybe that story about the Swedish dude who blew up cars when he was drunk.

Yeah, even with stuff like Geldoff I'd say that USM is probably the best Spider-Man stuff overall that I've ever read. Saying it's not that different from 616 and not reading it is selling it unbelievably short.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, even with stuff like Geldoff I'd say that USM is probably the best Spider-Man stuff overall that I've ever read. Saying it's not that different from 616 and not reading it is selling it unbelievably short.

Hey man, Geldoff was awesome. "It's vindy up here, yeah? It's vindy!"- Geldoff. NEVER FORGET.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Maybe Geldoff will join the Ultimates.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spurite Based posted:

Maybe Geldoff will join the Ultimates.

Well if we're trying to screw up the team and make the book unreadable let's go ahead and throw Magician in there too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would read a Geldoff & Magician ongoing series. Magician just being a creepy rear end in a top hat, and Geldoff with his Latka Gravis like innocence and naievity. It would be like a buddy cop movie.

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Now that I think about it, the only original Ultimate Universe characters I actually liked were the foul-mouthed mother-and-daughter super-villain team in Ultimate Spider-man that showed up maybe twice and disappeared off the face of the earth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spurite Based posted:

Now that I think about it, the only original Ultimate Universe characters I actually liked were the foul-mouthed mother-and-daughter super-villain team in Ultimate Spider-man that showed up maybe twice and disappeared off the face of the earth.

The girl was in school with Peter and them but then he died and nothing ever came of it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spurite Based posted:

The daughter goes to Pete's school. Iceman asked her out and the date went badly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TheJoker138 posted:

The girl was in school with Peter and them but then he died and nothing ever came of it.

Sara Pichelli said in a short interview in yesterday's Spider-Man that Lana was one of her favorites. So maybe she'll show up somewhere in the new book.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TheJoker138 posted:

Sara Pichelli specifically mentioned Lana Bombshell as the character she'd want to bring back in the Q&A in #2.

Also nthing the love for Ultimates #2, that was fantastic. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but the French superhero insisting on staying and making a stand with Thor seemed like another jab at the most famous Ultimates panel.

e: beaten on Pichelli

Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

Threep posted:

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but the French superhero insisting on staying and making a stand with Thor seemed like another jab at the most famous Ultimates panel.

Thought the same thing.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

Threep posted:

Also nthing the love for Ultimates #2, that was fantastic. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but the French superhero insisting on staying and making a stand with Thor seemed like another jab at the most famous Ultimates panel.

Wasn't there an even worse panel later? I think Cap was being held in France and about to be arrested by the new xtreme ultimates and the french police holding him hilariously surrendered straight away or something? Either way it was nice to see Captain France have a good moment.

I seriously loved this issue, it was everything I want from a comic. Good art, good moments of dialogue, a give-no-fucks storyline that is clearly still in continuity and setting up future stories and a plot that genuinely interests me. This is the star, but Hawkeye, X-Men and Spiderman are all good too and it's starting to feel like the old Ultimate universe might be back.

TJO fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 29, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just noticed Loki getting killed in the background :smith: God drat they're not loving around with this storyline.

I'm completely new to the Ultimate universe, only know bits and pieces so I ask: has Loki had a presence/part of this universe. To see him pop there alongside Thor for that last stand was a bit off since he's a dick everywhere I see/read about him.

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

As someone who has just a basic understanding of the status quo in the Ultimates right now, I spent a fair amount of time wondering what the gently caress was happening in #2, but I really didn't give a poo poo. It was kind of surprising how little I cared about the bits that were lost on me, just because the whole thing was so loving engrossing. Thor has a kid who he puts in the tree with his hammer? Whatever, I'll roll with it because holy poo poo this is amazing.

And as frustratingly decompressed as USM is right now, I'll keep throwing money at it purely because of the art. Pichelli's work is just...ugh, it's perfect. So self-aware and distinctive but not over the top. No gimmicks. Most definitely my favorite artist working right now. The scene where Miles and his father talk in the park, what made it effective (to me) wasn't the dialogue. It was the shame and frustration you can see in his father, and Mile's whole range of emotions.

Also, Ganke is the poo poo, I loving love this kid already.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm completely new to the Ultimate universe, only know bits and pieces so I ask: has Loki had a presence/part of this universe. To see him pop there alongside Thor for that last stand was a bit off since he's a dick everywhere I see/read about him.

Loki has been present since Ultimates v1 when Thor was first introduced, though he becomes heavily involved in v2. He kind of sets everything up in that he makes it seem as if Cap, then Thor, are traitors to the team, and also leads the battle against the Ultimates at the end of v2.

Not sure what, if anything, happened between the end of v2 and now, but who cares?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Loki has been present since Ultimates v1 when Thor was first introduced, though he becomes heavily involved in v2. He kind of sets everything up in that he makes it seem as if Cap, then Thor, are traitors to the team, and also leads the battle against the Ultimates at the end of v2.

Not sure what, if anything, happened between the end of v2 and now, but who cares?

The best part about him becoming the villain in Ultimates 2 was going back and noticing that he was drawn in a bunch of panels in previous issues, and no one had noticed him.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay, so reading The Ultimates has totally sold me on Ultimate Comics. So I gotta know... just how good are Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Hawkman? Do I want to pick these up first thing after work today or what?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Evil Sagan posted:

Okay, so reading The Ultimates has totally sold me on Ultimate Comics. So I gotta know... just how good are Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Hawkman? Do I want to pick these up first thing after work today or what?

I like Ultimate Hawkeye, and I thought it was neat that it tied in directly with Ultimates #1 (haven't read #2s yet), as in you saw the other side of a holographic conversation in each comic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

X-Men's first issue was pretty good. Hawkeye (which is a mini, I think) is pretty tied into what's going on in both X-Men and Ultimates. If you like one, you'll like them all.

That said, Ultimate Comics X-Men benefits form knowing a bit about continuity. Know that a lot of the people you see in one-panel shots are former X-Men, Bobby and Kitty (Iceman and Shadowcat) are former X-Men and also friends of the recently deceased Spider-Man. Johnny Storm (Human Torch) is not a mutant but is hiding out underground with Bobby and Kitty. And Fury's mutant team is a combination of new mutants, old mutants, and the Hulk.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Evil Sagan posted:

So far everything in the relaunch has been good to great. X-Men may be the weakest, but the cast of characters (minus wolvie jr) are interesting enough to make up for that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Evil Sagan posted:

Ultimate Hawkeye was pretty goddamn boss. X-men is the weakest at the moment but I get the feeling it is going to be a slow burner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'd say X-Men is the weakest only because it hasn't had a second issue yet. Personally I feel USM, UXM, and UH are all on pretty equal footing. Ultimates is really the only one that's head and shoulders above the rest and most of that is due to the fantastic second issue. All 4 of the first issues are about the same quality wise.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
Ultimates #2 was amazing because it took two cliched comic plots (hyper evolving dome and destruction of Asgard)and smashed them together to make the Ultimate Universe a better place.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I didn't realise that hyper evolutionary time pockets had become a cliche.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Sion posted:

I didn't realise that hyper evolutionary time pockets had become a cliche.

Its not, its just the Ultimate version of The World from 616 X-Men

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

and it's better than just being the same Peter from 616, which is what ultimate spider-man has always been

I want to second reading USM if you haven't. Ultimate Parker is only superficially the same as 616 Parker. In terms of characterization they are very different people. This is really true of a lot of characters in USM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I thought UXM was pretty drat good. The "problem" with X-Men being the weakest is because everything else has been so loving good.

My absolute favorite thing about this is how all the Ultimate titles have same day as print digital releases. Now if only they made FF digital as well...

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the breakdown guys. My initial foray into Ultimate Comics has been good to me thanks to this thread, so I'll just go ahead and pick up X-Men and Hawkeye.

This is getting to be an expensive habit.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

Thanks for the breakdown guys. My initial foray into Ultimate Comics has been good to me thanks to this thread, so I'll just go ahead and pick up X-Men and Hawkeye.

This is getting to be an expensive habit.

Welcome to comics, I guess!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My absolute favorite thing about this is how all the Ultimate titles have same day as print digital releases. Now if only they made FF digital as well...

Yes! Very much this. Before what I normally did was buy the singles, then wait until a few arcs were done and sell them on ebay then put that money toward a TPB. I do this with most comics because I just don't like having singles around. The digital thing is going to end up costing me more because I won't be able to sell anything back to get the trades, but it so makes up for it in convenience, time, and space saving. I love digital comics and love that Marvel is pushing the Ultimate books out same day.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ultimate Hawkeye and Ultimate X-Men

worth. every. penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Loki's last stand was the best and most efficient/believable redemption you could give any version of Marvel's Loki. "I regret everything." Yeah. We know, bro. It's ok.

• Locked thread