Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Fantastipotamus posted:

You probably have already, but I'd check that front tire pressure. I had those same Dunlops on my Buell, and they started having ridges on the outside of that center line of tread. Basically, I was running them at way lower PSI than I should have, so they were cupping/flattening out more than they should have, and wearing funny. The resulting wear was high spots on the tread where you wouldn't think it'd be, indicated in red.

I'll look into it! I guess I should have checked it as soon as I got home, previous owner didn't use the bike much for a while so it's very possible the tires lost a few PSI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Endless Mike posted:

If V-Rods had mid controls I'd be very interested in them. The C-Clamp position doesn't interest me, though.

The Street Rod version did.

Being Harleys, though, you can change pretty much everything on it (if you're willing to throw enough money at it). Might need a new exhaust, but you can definitely get a kit to relocate the controls.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

infraboy posted:

I'll look into it! I guess I should have checked it as soon as I got home, previous owner didn't use the bike much for a while so it's very possible the tires lost a few PSI.
Yeah, it's likely, but it may also be a by-product of that particular tread design. All I know is that what when I swapped out those Dunlops for correctly-psi'd Pilot Powers, my Buell felt as nimble as a 250. Tire pressure, it makes a difference! :eng101:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pilot powers have a heavily triangulated profile that really reduces steering effort.

Not that psi isn't important, but profile plays a huge role in how heavy the steering on a bike feels.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yeah my Dunlop Q2s on the 1000 have a triangular profile I believe, love em.

I'll probably swap out the dunlops on the VFR for Pilot Road 2 or 3s when the time comes.

also just did the first fillup, got about 41mpg, pretty sweet that it has a 5.5 gallon tank. It's kind of a bitch to have to fill up the GSX-R 1k every 130 miles or so and the ninja around 160.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The Motorrad's at Canandaigua Lake yesterday. Fun place to scoot around in.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

The Motorrad's at Canandaigua Lake yesterday. Fun place to scoot around in.

I almost took a ride to visit my roommate in Palmyra before I went back to school in August. Those pictures make me think that not going there was the wrong decision.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Taking advantage of the nice weather we've been having in the Midwest, I went on my first "official" cruise last weekend. I rode East on Highway 6 from Lincoln to the SAC Museum in Ashland. Getting "the wave" from all the other motorcyclists was awesome. Best decision I ever made was to get on a bike.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Got my Tuono tonight. God drat. I should say more but god damnit. The bike owns. Will post more when I'm done jerking off.

Orioles win, TB wins, gently caress the Red Sox. Hooray Aprilia

The damage:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That color scheme rules

All this CA Tuono love lately almost makes me regret taking the safe, calm and rational Speed Triple route

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

That color scheme rules

All this CA Tuono love lately almost makes me regret taking the safe, calm and rational Speed Triple route

I found the 1050 engine terminally boring. The tuono engine is way more exciting. I wouldn't buy any 1050 engined bike just cause I really don't like how it makes power. Totally flat torque curve so I didn't find it that entertaining to rev it out. I like the 675 engine though...revy and fun.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

I found the 1050 engine terminally boring. The tuono engine is way more exciting. I wouldn't buy any 1050 engined bike just cause I really don't like how it makes power. Totally flat torque curve so I didn't find it that entertaining to rev it out. I like the 675 engine though...revy and fun.

I thought you loved flat torque curves?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrZig posted:

I thought you loved flat torque curves?

I find it really boring if there's no real change in engine power as you rev it out. It can drop off, or build, or whatever, but it should do something. The 1050 is just really consistently the same all the way through the rev range. That was my experience on the speed Triple and the tiger 1050.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

I find it really boring if there's no real change in engine power as you rev it out. It can drop off, or build, or whatever, but it should do something. The 1050 is just really consistently the same all the way through the rev range. That was my experience on the speed Triple and the tiger 1050.

It has no top end rush. It makes people who aren't used to it think it doesn't want to rev. It's not an uncommon complaint on the Triumph boards and I do think it pushes people towards the Tuono and the Streetfighter. I came from a Z1000 and even that engine had a more interesting high-RPM hit. Still, it's hard to complain about boatloads of torque everywhere, they still fill the front tire with helium and the Triple howl is something special. If only the Brits used crazy-rear end Italian graphics schemes.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Got my Tuono tonight. God drat. I should say more but god damnit. The bike owns.

Resistance is futile! You will all be rear end-imollated!

e: it looks like you have an excellent excuse to go mad with the carbon fibre. Might want to have a quick look at the crash bung bracket to make sure it wasn't just bent back and that the bolts haven't been re-used. You wouldn't really want it snapping if you drop the bike, and they only cost $20 or so.

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 29, 2011

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Saga posted:

Resistance is futile! You will all be rear end-imollated!

e: it looks like you have an excellent excuse to go mad with the carbon fibre. Might want to have a quick look at the crash bung bracket to make sure it wasn't just bent back and that the bolts haven't been re-used. You wouldn't really want it snapping if you drop the bike, and they only cost $20 or so.

Ah yeah, I forgot to look at that. You know whats wierd is the actual pad has nary a scratch on it. Did these come stock? It's almost like someone dumped it, took it back to the dealership and they put sliders on it. I'll look at it more today, thanks for the heads up!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Ah yeah, I forgot to look at that. You know whats wierd is the actual pad has nary a scratch on it. Did these come stock? It's almost like someone dumped it, took it back to the dealership and they put sliders on it. I'll look at it more today, thanks for the heads up!

They do come stock and there is some aftermarket replacements out there too which may be worth looking at if you need to replace it.

One thing I noticed with the bike the other day is that the plastic tank appears to have expanded a little bit (due to ethanol? Its not like the knee cut outs are popping out or anything). It just takes a little effort to get the bolts lined up with the holes when putting it back down, but thats all. Have you guys seen the same?

CA hivemind is trending towards the Tuono, soon we will need our own thread ala sv650 and ninja 250..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

It has no top end rush. It makes people who aren't used to it think it doesn't want to rev. It's not an uncommon complaint on the Triumph boards and I do think it pushes people towards the Tuono and the Streetfighter. I came from a Z1000 and even that engine had a more interesting high-RPM hit. Still, it's hard to complain about boatloads of torque everywhere, they still fill the front tire with helium and the Triple howl is something special. If only the Brits used crazy-rear end Italian graphics schemes.

Maybe I'm spoiled by sumos, but I didn't even find them that wheelie happy. They'll wheelie, sure, but I never had a situation where I was riding it and it surprised me with a wheelie, unlike the SMC/Falco/RSV Mille/Streetfighter.

It's weird, maybe I had too many built up preconceptions about the bike after hearing about them so much.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

Yup, those are stock. Non-stock options are basically R&G for these bikes. It will have been crashed and replaced.

But if the dude was cheap and looking to move it on asap, he or the stealership could have re-used bolts (not so much the 7mm one you can see - the two m10x45 engine mounting bolts that the slider bracket is held on by) and just bent the bracket back into position. Obviously you don't want it to snap if you drop it, nor do you necessarily want a bent or stressed engine mounting bolt sticking around, at least not for the $0.50 cost of a new one.

If they replaced the bracket, it should be obvious because it will be black and shiny. And straight!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

CombatMedic posted:

I know CA isn't big on Harleys, and quite frankly neither am I...except in this case. It followed me home yesterday and I think I'm gonna keep it.

2012 Night Rod Special in Vivid Black.

I came real close to buying a V-Rod instead of my XR. The price difference was just too much. Enjoy.

Couple more Harley owners and we just might be able to get our own thread!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

GanjamonII posted:

CA hivemind is trending towards the Tuono, soon we will need our own thread ala sv650 and ninja 250..

Must... resist... gravitational pull... Wait! I can install sprockets on my Ninja! :sigh:

It's gonna be a long winter.

My best buddy, who's buying my 2005 sv650, is planning on upgrading to a Speedie after a while. I need to balance his British refinedness with an Transformer-insectoid beast.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 29, 2011

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

redscare posted:

I came real close to buying a V-Rod instead of my XR. The price difference was just too much. Enjoy.

I've got my flame suit on 5-minute alert status and my troll-seeking missile launcher locked and loaded goon sire

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

redscare posted:

I would support this if it didn't become a chromosexual brofest.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
A Harley thread in CA would be completely and utterly unfair to the rest of us.

It's like putting cake in front of a fat kid goon fat kid.

Look, you know what it does to mods when forums goon A Japanese Pop Icon posts in GBS threads? It would be like that, only for everyone.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Do you guys just not like Harleys or Harley people? Because the bikes can be pretty cool.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DILLIGAF posted:

I would support this if it didn't become a chromosexual brofest.

I had a de-eagling party for mine. Chrome don't get ya home.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

front wing flexing posted:

Do you guys just not like Harleys or Harley people? Because the bikes can be pretty cool.

You can't fool me with that sort of ban-bait! <:(>

I'm going to go to my happy place now and wait till this is all over.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

front wing flexing posted:

XR1:20bux:0 is the bees knees.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Mcqueen posted:

XR1:20bux:0 is the bees knees.

Is that the one Bike magazine uniquely managed to crash like 4 times and eventually gave up on because the dude was so shaken by it?

:allears:

NO! No! Must...resist.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I would ride a Harley, if someone lent me theirs or gave me one. I don't really feel enough attraction to cruisers in general to spend my own money on it.

One of my buddies wants a sportster pretty badly.. while I don't understand why... I respect that.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
My riding buddy has a Buell X1 lightning.. drat thing ruined a great trip when its oil pump broke. He already got a lot of poo poo from some people for riding an american bike ("just wait till it breaks down!"), it didn't help that all these people happened to ride by when we were sitting at the side of the road.
He likes it a lot though! But it probably doesn't count anyway.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

shimmy posted:

My riding buddy has a Buell X1 lightning.. drat thing ruined a great trip when its oil pump broke. He already got a lot of poo poo from some people for riding an american bike ("just wait till it breaks down!"), it didn't help that all these people happened to ride by when we were sitting at the side of the road.
He likes it a lot though! But it probably doesn't count anyway.

I liked my 82 Sportster well enough, even the fact that I frequently had to tune it WHILE I was riding it. The throttle tube would stick if you moved it toward the inside so I could stick it and adjust the mixture with my hand. Now that I have a modern bike I realize what a deathtrap that thing was. And what a dumbass I was for riding it as long as I did. Only after riding someone else's bike did I realize that my brakes hardly worked. The first time I rode my friends GS500 I nearly threw myself off of it since his brakes were properly tuned. I took my bike to the only harley shop by my house that wasn't a dealership to get it looked over and tuned up after I built it out of a box and when I got it back the front brake still barely worked but it was my first bike so I didn't know any better and was just giddy to be on the road. I think I miss it in concept, but my SV is a much nicer bike for my purposes. And I'm also not an overzealous dumbass anymore.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That Cafe Racer Harley that VTNewb? posted awhile back was pretty rad. I also like the Buells quite a bit, but I'd never own one because I've heard way too many horror stories about those engines blowing up. If you ride them hard, they pop. One day though, when I want a sweet custom to cruise on, I might get one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I rode a Buell XB9s for like two years and I can't remember one thing ever breaking on it. Routine maintenance only and I truly rode it year round since we didn't get any snow here and I didn't have to commute far. Actually I've had to do way more work on my Kawi to keep it on the road.

As far as real harleys though...sometimes I see a 30k bagger and think it would be comfortable as hell to cruise around in, but then I'd just buy a goldwing or concours instead if I wanted a luxo-bike.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I rode my Buell XB12SS 300 days a year without as much as a hiccup. I was planning on riding that thing into the ground before the accident. It really was the most reliable bike I've had; more reliable than my CB550 or my RF600R for sure.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You know that Robert E. Howard story where Conan (or is it Kull?) is king of everything, BUT then it turns out his entire court is full of those snake dudes who are like killing and replacing everyone with their magical disguise powers and poo poo so they can like totally control the kingdom and steal his girl and he has to gird his thews or something and drop some science on them with his broadsword?

:ohdear:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, as I said in the Dirt thread my KTM got stolen. I pick up my new bike tomorrow so here's to the two years on the KTM.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been looking at Harleys since my trip a couple weeks ago, and to my surprise they actually occasionally make a few with mid controls. Right now all there is are Sportsters, the XR, and one Dyna, but i kinda look at HDs as something you hack on anyway. Buy one used, for cheap, and swap bits off it until it doesn't suck.

It's just all the chrometards hack on them in the wrong stupid direction.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Phy posted:

I've been looking at Harleys since my trip a couple weeks ago, and to my surprise they actually occasionally make a few with mid controls. Right now all there is are Sportsters, the XR, and one Dyna, but i kinda look at HDs as something you hack on anyway. Buy one used, for cheap, and swap bits off it until it doesn't suck.

It's just all the chrometards hack on them in the wrong stupid direction.

As soon as my back heals I'm getting the 883. You can mount the controls in a couple different positions from the factory.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You guys are all turning middle-aged simultaneously.

I would totally rock an 883 Dark Custom