Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canis minor
May 4, 2011

kinmik posted:

Right then.
(ahem)
Screw you, eithedog. Screw you so hard. What in gently caress's name is it and will it ever go away?

Sorry, don't know the origin of this one - but he's a cool dude, he smokes a cigarette!

Ineffiable posted:

While Grave Encounters is a decent horror film, I don't remember that scene.

It's actually from a pretty creative youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVfREVGcaY

If it makes any difference it's definitelly from earlier than 2010. I can see this frame in given video, haven't watched the Grave Encounters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Ularg posted:

Is this a real product that I could buy?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Circus Pies! posted:

Is this a real product that I could buy?

It's a "Living Dead Dolls Sadie Pencil Sharpener" but as far as I can tell you can't get them new anymore. Maybe eBay or something.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

eithedog posted:

If it makes any difference it's definitelly from earlier than 2010. I can see this frame in given video, haven't watched the Grave Encounters though.

Here's a shot from Grave Encounters - similar but not the same.

synthetik has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Sep 27, 2011

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

synthetik posted:

Here's a shot from Grave Encounters - similar but not the same.

Thanks! Didn't get a chance to re-watch grave encounters to get to that scene, but it gave me something new to checkout (the slenderman / ARG) ... perhaps the movie stole something from Marble Hornets?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Gunt McBadpost posted:

Sorry to quote a year old post but how on earth did that happen? This isn't the first photo I've seen of a skeleton in a trench and I still wonder how that's possible for a corpse to be left alone for so long in a crowded place full of people well aware of the diseases that come from dead bodies.

Content: http://kuksi.com/artworks/sculpture/ Kuksi's sculptures. Some very slightly :nws: statue boob occasionally.

Sarah Hoorah
Mar 31, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

Sorry to quote a year old post but how on earth did that happen? This isn't the first photo I've seen of a skeleton in a trench and I still wonder how that's possible for a corpse to be left alone for so long in a crowded place full of people well aware of the diseases that come from dead bodies.

Content: http://kuksi.com/artworks/sculpture/ Kuksi's sculptures. Some very slightly :nws: statue boob occasionally.

No-man's-land, I think. Sometimes when forces retreated it became very difficult to retrieve the fallen from contested areas.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Imagine building a castle at the top and being the Lord of the Clouds, and shooting people who climb up there. You could do it, too. That is way too high for any law of man to apply to you.

The best thing about the table mountains is that they are loving loaded with carnivorous vegetation. :buddy:

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

trunkwontopen posted:

Thanks! Didn't get a chance to re-watch grave encounters to get to that scene, but it gave me something new to checkout (the slenderman / ARG) ... perhaps the movie stole something from Marble Hornets?

It's not from Marble Hornets. Some clips of the hands are labeled as part of the series by other channels to get views, but it's not part of the series. Here's an example uploaded by user marbelhornets.

Anyway, this is dumb derail.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ketzal posted:

Where is this from? Looks positively lovecraftian.

Ketzal
Feb 19, 2011

President of Hell
Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

Where is this from? Looks positively lovecraftian.

An art exhibit on a Mexican beach. Oddly enough, it doesn't look like it's inspired by the mythos. http://www.wired.com/table_of_malcontents/2007/02/the_strange_lov/

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Ketzal posted:

An art exhibit on a Mexican beach. Oddly enough, it doesn't look like it's inspired by the mythos. http://www.wired.com/table_of_malcontents/2007/02/the_strange_lov/

Looks a lot like DC comic character Morpheus aka Dream:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

eithedog posted:

This is a photoshop, right? There's something about those eyes.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This isn't a photoshop.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5704210/Two-faced-cat-sets-Janus-record

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
You've gotta be kitten me! :monocle:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

That's kinda sad and sweet, actually. Poor kitty. :unsmith:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

At a veterinary clinic I used to work at, the owner kept a fetal version of that in a jar in the operating room. I offered to buy it from him at one point but he refused, informing me that he had traded an EKG machine for it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

eithedog posted:

What's creepy about this one?

Moon Potato posted:

At a veterinary clinic I used to work at, the owner kept a fetal version of that in a jar in the operating room. I offered to buy it from him at one point but he refused, informing me that he had traded an EKG machine for it.

A snake breeder showed me the preserved bodies of a two-headed snake and a no-headed snake. The two-headed one suffocated while hatching, and the headless snake had to be cut out of the egg. She could see the snake's sides moving as it tried to breathe for a few minutes, but it had no mouth or nostrils.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.

Chamale posted:

What's creepy about this one?

People cast shadows but nothing else does.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's from the movie Last Year at Marienbad, if anybody was wondering. One of the absolute best movies I've ever seen.

Fell
Feb 22, 2007

by Cowcaster

You can pet one kitty's head, then pet the other kitty's head!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Frank and Louie has a case of craniofacial duplication, an extremely rare congenital condition resulting from a protein with the odd name of sonic hedgehog homolog (SHH).

:what:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a funny story behind that. See, the hedgehog signaling pathway is what gives cells the information needed to become different parts of an embryo. It was named that after experiments with it in the 70s caused mutations in larvae that made them grow spiky extensions.

Then a few years ago they discovered a naturally-occurring protein that was reliably causing these mutations in frogs. They named the protein and the branch of the pathway it effected after what it looked like in a microscope.

Last year they discovered an inhibitor for the Sonic Hedgehog pathway. They named it Robotnikinin.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Isn't there also a protein called Pikachurin because of how fast it moves though the body?

Wartooth
May 31, 2011

Chamale posted:

She could see the snake's sides moving as it tried to breathe for a few minutes, but it had no mouth or nostrils.

I have no mouth, and I must hiss.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Red Octopus!! posted:

Isn't there also a protein called Pikachurin because of how fast it moves though the body?

There's so many amazing names for genes and proteins that are actually just geeky references since all the scientists that discover them are total nerds.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
The horrors of Japanese photobooths

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

There's so many amazing names for genes and proteins that are actually just geeky references since all the scientists that discover them are total nerds.

Which leads to a heck of a lot of embarrassment when you have to explain to some grieving mother that her son will never have legs because his sonic hedgehog gene isn't fully expressed

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Wanna give that cat a cigarette.

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.

Moon Potato posted:

Where I worked, the worst "preserved specimen" we had was a dog's heart that was absolutely riddled with heartworms. I asked if I could look at it and he said yes but to be very careful. "If you break it, the smell will live with you until your dying days."

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also not photoshopped.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Male Man posted:

Wanna give that cat a cigarette.

I love you, you filthy whorehopper.

I posted:

He just looks so happy! How could you find that creepy at all?

I've always thought the last one would make a great drone metal album cover.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

I posted:

Also not photoshopped.

Mike Wachowski! I swear, that last image just had me rolling. :smug: as all gently caress.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

eithedog posted:

Oooh, this is by Jim Denevan! I had a film teacher who made a documentary about his art called "Sandman", because that's basically what he is: he spends hours with a stick carving these amazing, huge-scale patterns into Bay Area beaches. How he manages to make it look amazing even when you're looking at it from an airplane I'll never know. Some more of his art: http://www.jimdenevan.com/images.htm

Synthosaurus
May 8, 2007

eithedog posted:

I'll bet this guy is loving awesome at DDR.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Synthosaurus posted:

I'll bet this guy is loving awesome at DDR.

That pic + your post =

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I love this picture.

• Locked thread