Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
250 euros a day? loving hell, I've done week-long trips on a few hundred euros and had a good time, you might as well stay drunk for two weeks straight and then wonder later how you actually ended up in Albania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogginHarry
Nov 23, 2004

Thanks for the Budapest recommendations. Not long back from a week's holiday there and loved every minute of it. I don't think I've walked as much in a week in my life. We also cycled to Szentendre and back on our final day.

Definitely one of my favourite cities.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Neris posted:

Are you coming from the US for a big once-in-a-lifetime Europe trip? What's the purpose of your visit? Natural beauty? History and museums? Night life? Meeting locals? If you give some outline, I can offer info on Ireland as I grew up there, at least.

Also Amsterdam is amazing (even if you don't smoke) and Berlin is too, for the record, so I would recommend you don't write it off just like that. Personally I have no great love for Dublin.

The purpose of my visit is adventure! I am not into nature, gently caress nature, poison it , gently caress it, and hang it from a fense to dry- nature sucks. I really dig conversation, music(not deafening bullshit music, like.... live acoustic style stuff), meeting folks, poo poo like that. In Dallas I didn't do the clubbing thing cause I don't dance and it's freaking impossible to talk to people in a proper loud rear end nightclub, so I'm hoping to find more.. cafe/pub type places where I can talk up the locals, walk around- I dig architecture, buildings are nice.

But yeah, going to Europe, probably won't go again, no plans, just wanna check it out.

I was looking at that alternative Berlin tours site, the rabbit hole tour looks fascinating ... I kind of want to try that. (http://www.alternativeberlin.com/tours/twilight/index.html)

Ras Het posted:

250 euros a day? loving hell, I've done week-long trips on a few hundred euros and had a good time, you might as well stay drunk for two weeks straight and then wonder later how you actually ended up in Albania.

What, that's a lot? Jesus, I actually decided against a 500 Euro a day budget because I want to have some savings when I return. I guess it's good to know I'll have plenty of booze money.

super edit number 15: OK, I'm sold. I worked out going from Heathrow to Berlin via Eurostar/TGV, I'll check it out. Worse thing that happens is I spend a couple days there and decide it's time to wander off somewhere else.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 20, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

PadreScout posted:

In Dallas I didn't do the clubbing thing cause I don't dance and it's freaking impossible to talk to people in a proper loud rear end nightclub, so I'm hoping to find more.. cafe/pub type places where I can talk up the locals, walk around- I dig architecture, buildings are nice.

You should check out Lisbon, it's central bar district is the chillest place on Earth. Berlin is cool too, but hella spread out and I've found travelling there a bit of a par.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

PadreScout posted:

The purpose of my visit is adventure! I am not into nature, gently caress nature, poison it , gently caress it, and hang it from a fense to dry- nature sucks. I really dig conversation, music(not deafening bullshit music, like.... live acoustic style stuff), meeting folks, poo poo like that. In Dallas I didn't do the clubbing thing cause I don't dance and it's freaking impossible to talk to people in a proper loud rear end nightclub, so I'm hoping to find more.. cafe/pub type places where I can talk up the locals, walk around- I dig architecture, buildings are nice.

you might also enjoy stockholm in sweden or barcelona in spain. http://www.zitty.de/ can be good to find gigs in berlin, if you want to catch up for a beer or something in berlin hit me up unixbeard@gmail.com

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Any restaurant recommendations for Rome or Florence? Looking for something medium-priced, preferably unique/interesting or just goddamn delicious.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

Ishamael posted:

Any restaurant recommendations for Rome or Florence? Looking for something medium-priced, preferably unique/interesting or just goddamn delicious.

http://www.gourmet-chick.com/2011/07/eight-cheap-eats-in-rome-gourmet-chick.html This might help!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

oooh, nice. Thanks!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ishamael posted:

Rome: anything several streets away from the popular tourist attractions.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ishamael posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/if-youre-ever-in-florence-you-have-to-visit-this-m,11518/

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Yo all. Back from my month long Europe trip. Amazing stuff, thought I'd throw a few recommendations your way for anyone still thinking of heading over to the continent.

Berlin:
Hostels: Wombats. Always Wombats. Especially if you're travelling alone. The bar is as amazing as I remembered it and I got dragged out every night by new people wanting to go out. Going down at 5 in the morning in running gear the guy at the desk stopped me and marked out a route, showed me the local parks on my map and generally was a decent dude. Good kitchen, good laundry stuff, everything excellent. Do it.

Food: Monsieur Vuyongs. Vietnamese restaurant on Rosa Luxembourg platz, just down the road from Wombats. Cheap and amazing. Could be a queue on busy nights though.

There's also a Korean place on the same street that's excellent and cheap aswell.

Sights:

Museum Insel is worth going to if you're into history or art. Particularly the Pergamon Museum, well worth a visit. Be wary of anyone who asks you if you speak english around here though, there are a certain number of pickpockets, and it's best to respond with 'Nein' and keep walking.

Krakow: Oh man I love Krakow, and not just for the Kanye West concert I stumbled into that turned out to be probably the best show I've ever seen. http://vimeo.com/28058975

Hostels: Mosquito Hostel. Great small hostel, exceptionally friendly. The staff will take you all out drinking any night of the week and to events (like the coke live festival). Breakfast is free and not bad. Highly recommended.

I hear Greg and Tom's Party Hostel is great too.

I'll finish Krakow and do a few more cities later.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
OK, last minute question. I saw in a thread, somewhere, this one, the backpacker one- I forget - anyhoo:

The Wombat Hostel. It was recommended. Should I definitely go there because I had my heart set on the Sunflower Hostel, for no reason other than I like the name.

Tomorrow is a big day! I get to fly over the ocean in defiance of nature and god!

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009

PadreScout posted:

OK, last minute question. I saw in a thread, somewhere, this one, the backpacker one- I forget - anyhoo:

The Wombat Hostel. It was recommended. Should I definitely go there because I had my heart set on the Sunflower Hostel, for no reason other than I like the name.

Tomorrow is a big day! I get to fly over the ocean in defiance of nature and god!

Do it. Go. Go now. Book now. DOOOOO IITTT.

Veetard
Mar 30, 2007

PadreScout posted:

I stayed at Sunflower Hostel and I liked it. I stayed at one of the Wombats hostels in Vienna and it really sucked--it was huge, super sterile, and there were loads of gigantic school groups staying there. But then I have no idea what the one in Berlin is like, maybe it's awesome? If it is like the Vienna one, though, I would rather stay at Sunflower if I were traveling alone. It has way more of a chill hostel atmosphere.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ishamael posted:

Ok, that's good to know. Unfortunately we have to have phone access because that was one of the caveats of my wife's office letting her take 6 weeks off - she has to check in occasionally via phone.

Are there better or worse places to buy cheap phones? I am not much of a gadget guy so I am not really sure what to look for.

We turned on international roaming, IIRC it was about $80 for unlimited texting, voice, and data from ATT.

We stayed at the Romance Hotel in Rome and loved it, it was within walking distance of everything, if your reasonably fit.

eppu
Apr 15, 2005
My friend is pestering me to come and work in Brno, Czech. Finding a lot of info about the place seems pretty hard, so anyone here have good knowledge how it is there?
Like is 35k/month enough to have decent living, am i going to be ok with only english, do i get bored in one month, am i getting stabbed and robbed every time i walk out of my door and how´s working in Czech in general??
I´ll take it that good bars and beer is given, so info about everything else is welcome.

eppu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 27, 2011

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Bit of a sanity check, my wife and I are travelling around Europe for 7 weeks (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, Italy) and we've budgeted around EU140 a day. Most of the time we will be couchsurfing (and we will use hostels when that doesn't work out) and we will be buying most of our meals from supermarkets, not eating out. That said, we will probably have 1 meal out per day of some kind.

Workable?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did you factor in travel costs as well, or are they included in the daily allowance?

Have you looked into CSing with two people? It will not be that easy.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Flights and about half of our trains are sorted so the budget excludes them.

Yeah, we've looked in to it. We're sorted for a number of places - we've actually been hosting couples on couchsurfing.org for ~1 year. We've got references, some people to stay with in certain places and so on. We have a expectation that we'll be able to couchsurf 50-60% of the time based on this.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have been hosting people for two years in China, and here in Europe I was able to get CS lined up in Porto, Portugal and Paris, France...but that is it. With over 20+ references, I either never heard back or was turned down. Obviously, CSing in the summer, when many people are on holiday or busy, is a bit different, and I do not have the patience to try to send hours on CS, trying to find someone...if you've looked into it, you should be fine.

I have been getting by on 50 Euros a day, and I am not eating at the supermarket, so 70 a piece should be fine.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

NoArmedMan posted:

Flights and about half of our trains are sorted so the budget excludes them.

Yeah, we've looked in to it. We're sorted for a number of places - we've actually been hosting couples on couchsurfing.org for ~1 year. We've got references, some people to stay with in certain places and so on. We have a expectation that we'll be able to couchsurf 50-60% of the time based on this.

70 euro is more than plenty.

For around 25 euro you can go to a brasserie ( restaurant for single meals ) and have a full meal with a drink. Random food in the morning / midday shouldn't set you back more than 10 euro.

As for czech republic and hungary. You'll be happy to know that for 25 euro's you can basically dine at very decent restaurants with michelin stars. Everything is half as expensive there when it comes to food.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

eppu posted:

My friend is pestering me to come and work in Brno, Czech. Finding a lot of info about the place seems pretty hard, so anyone here have good knowledge how it is there?
Like is 35k/month enough to have decent living, am i going to be ok with only english, do i get bored in one month, am i getting stabbed and robbed every time i walk out of my door and how´s working in Czech in general??
I´ll take it that good bars and beer is given, so info about everything else is welcome.

35 k per month (assuming you mean CZK) is definitely more than enough, it is way above average wages. To be honest, there probably won't be much to do in terms of culture for someone who can't speak Czech, even though English should be fully sufficient for basic communication. Otherwise, Brno should offer most conveniences and services you might need and is quite well connected with the rest ot hte Czeh republic via trains. The city itself has a public transport system which might nt be as good as that of Prague, but is by no means bad.

Crime rate in Brno is no worse than in the rest of the country which not very high at all.

Also, it looks like there's a forum for Brno expats so you might want to browse there for a bit (if you haven't done so already): http://www.brnoexpats.com/forum

If you have any more specific questions, just shoot.

WildeyeWillie
Jul 20, 2011
Im heading to Graz, Austria on a work trip for 3 weeks starting October 9th and will have evenings and weekends to myself. Any must see attractions around the Graz/Vienna area? Thanks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For someone who wants to eventually do a Euro-trip back packing and couch surfing through all of Europe, how much time and money would I need if I want to be cost and time-effective on a budget?

I went to Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, and a few other places in Italy while I was in high school, but I would like to someday do a bona fide back packing trip throughout Europe and hit all of the major cities as well as cool smaller cities and countryside traveling. I'd also like to do some amateur photography as well as I travel.

I especially want to travel to Paris, Brussels, Berlin, and Amsterdam (and Stockholm) at least, but definitely want to go to as many places as possible.

Is there anything else besides money and time I should take into consideration?

[EDIT]: Also, what would it take to get a work visa in, say, France or Belgium or the Netherlands?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 29, 2011

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

WildeyeWillie posted:

Im heading to Graz, Austria on a work trip for 3 weeks starting October 9th and will have evenings and weekends to myself. Any must see attractions around the Graz/Vienna area? Thanks.

I don't know too many attractions, but the Schlossberg is a great place to hang out when the weather is nice. Try to avoid using the elevator and walk up/down the stairs.
The old city center is very lovely. It's the nicest town in austria, enjoy!

For food, you should go to the Thomawirt, the food is spectacular, especially at the moderate prices they have. Also, try pumpkin-seed oil whenever you can.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Edit: wrong thread entirely

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 29, 2011

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...

WildeyeWillie posted:

The great thing about Europe in your case is that you can venture out well beyond your locale on the weekends. I too recommend the Schlossberg - and Vienna is a great city to wander in. Your close to Garmisch/Bavaria and Innsbruck has a really nice alt stadt. I'm envious.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for this coming February. Specifically we had in mind:

Paris - 8 days
Istanbul - 8 days

From what I understand Paris will be not quite so nice in Feb, though cheaper to fly to with less tourists. I come from the middle of Canada, so it will still be -30 degrees where I live making it pretty mild for us.

Stuff we're into and would like to do (not in any particular order):
-Antique shops (not high-end stuff)
-Cafe's, bakeries, cheese shops etc
-Nice areas to go for walks, we both enjoy nature
-Beautiful Architecture
-clubs & lounges (Of the jazz sort I guess, not so much into the dance party thing)
-Museums

We're in our late 20s and both physically fit, and looking for ideas of things to do. We're not into the whole rushing from the eiffel tower to see the louvre for an hour sort of thing that a lot of people do. I really just want to enjoy the experiences as much as possible, and figured at least a full week will allow us to do that.

Our interests are similar for Istanbul, though a bit more geared towards the ancient history in that area. Definitely would be interested in going to Cappadocia for a day, but would like to hear suggestions!

We're looking at around 14-16 days between the two locations, so if you'd recommend a change from splitting the time evenly between the two locations, I'd be open to hearing it.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 30, 2011

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kashwashwa posted:

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for this coming February. Specifically we had in mind:

Paris - 8 days
Istanbul - 8 days

No idea about Istanbul, but Paris is awesome in February since there aren't so many tourists there.

The Louvre is open until 10pm on Wednesday and Friday. A lot of museums are closed Monday/Tuesday and a lot of museums are free the first Sunday of the month (which means it's super crowded, but maybe not as bad in Feb). I would spend money to not go on the free day.

The major "check off the list" tourist things in Paris are actually pretty awesome. I can't really recommend anything you couldn't find in every guidebook (Louvre is awesome, Rodin is awesome, Versailles is awesome, Eiffel Tower is alright, Arc de Triomphe is boring and not near anything, Sacre Couer has an awesome view, etc), since even after spending about two weeks there over the past few years, I haven't even hit all the major 'must see' sites.

I've been disappointed with literally every restaurant I've ever eaten at in Paris, so I can't really recommend anything there. The last couple times I've gone, we've just bought groceries and cooked in the rental apartment. The bakeries are all great though (but as far as I can tell, all basically identical). The area next to Sacre Coeur is pretty neat and feels like a small village even though it's in the middle of Paris. Very touristy though but I like it.

If you haven't already booked a place, then I suggest renting an apartment from somewhere like VRBO.com. For 8 days, it will be a million times better than a hotel, and way cheaper too, and it makes the whole trip feel more authentic. I imagine this also works in Istanbul.

VVV I'm sure they exist, but I never had luck just picking a random restaurant from the street (probably to be expected).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 1, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you like antiques, check out the Marché aux Puces, it's loving huge. There are also loads of books of walking tours of Paris, we did a couple of these and they were a cool way to wander around and get off the beaten path.

Regarding restaurants, I've had a few nice meals in Paris. The service can be a bit special though.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I work in Paris for a vacation apartment rental company and I recommend a rental apartment over a hotel. Our website sucks (I'm pushing for a complete redesign ASAP) but we have good reviews on the big rental sites. https://www.feelslikehomeinparis.com

Check out http://www.spottedbylocals.com/paris/ and http://paris.unlike.net/ for more "youthful" things to do in Paris.

And I always recommend walking tours.

Also, in Paris/France its considered rude for waiters to check up on you all the time. You have to get their attention to get service.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Omits-Bagels posted:

I work in Paris for a vacation apartment rental company and I recommend a rental apartment over a hotel.

No way.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Ras Het posted:

No way.

Yeah, I know it's hard to believe. But, even if I didn't work for a rental company, I would still recommend an apartment over a hotel. Plus, they'd be able to meet a real-live Yankee goon that works in Paris.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I was definitely going to be doing the apartment rental thing. So far I'd only looked at airbnb.com - so the more options to consider the better.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omits-Bagels posted:

Also, in Paris/France its considered rude for waiters to check up on you all the time. You have to get their attention to get service.

In Paris/France/all of continental Europe. I consider it rude that waiters don't provide any service or give me goddamn ice in my drinks ever, but I guess at least I'm not obliged to tip either.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Waiters serve your food and then they leave you alone to eat in peace, instead of checking on you every three seconds because they're terrified you won't tip them.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
Wooo! Tip derail!

:frogout:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Does anyone have any suggestions for European tour groups? So far, I've taken a look at Tauck tours but would like to check out a few others for comparison.

This would be a trip with my mother - price is relatively irrelevant so long as its not outrageous but no party tours and it'd be best if the tours weren't too activity based as my mom is not very active; she also doesn't drink so wine tours probably wouldn't be too exciting for her.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I am pretty freakin' annoyed about the immigration officials here in Europe. I'm going to vent for just a second, as I have had problems with this off and on. I have a trip that is 88 days planned in the Schengen Zone, I just finished my 84th and am doing 4 days in Iceland. It is over the course of 5 months, though, so I am really trying to make sure that everyone can see I am not going over 90 days.

When I first left the Schengen Zone, the guy in Lisboa did not stamp it very well and didn't scan me out. This led to a slew of problems on the Slovenian/Croatia border, before they finally stamped me out again.

When I took the bus from London to France, they took all of our passports off the bus and didn't stamp mine. I imagine they scanned it, but hell if I know. So I kept my bus ticket, in case there was a problem. Well, I just flew from Madrid today, and the guy didn't stamp it at all, nor scan it. In fact, he barely looked at it, opened it briefly and didn't even make eye contact with me. So I asked him to stamp it, and he said "OOOOOH STAMP" and he proceeded to stamp my endorsements page (which I don't think you are supposed to do) and then tried to throw away my ticket I had from London. I had to ask for it back. It was like he made every possible lazy mistake (in my opinion) that he could have made with me in under 7 seconds.

I feel like the adult in a room of children, like I am the one who is trying to make sure that everything is ok and they are just kind of aimlessly deciding what to do whenver they want. Which wouldn't bother me if EVERYONE was like that, but I got taken out of my seat on the Slovenian border because they didn't know how long I had been in the Schengen Zone.

On the other hand, every time I come to the UK, they glare at me like I am coming to take their pure, unblemished daughter out for a night of drunken debauchery and proceed to ask me question upon question upon question. Literally four people went through the line to the lady on my left while I was trying to get into Edinburgh today.

I am annoyed. And now I am done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Kashwashwa posted:

Paris - 8 days
Istanbul - 8 days

From what I understand Paris will be not quite so nice in Feb, though cheaper to fly to with less tourists. I come from the middle of Canada, so it will still be -30 degrees where I live making it pretty mild for us.

Stuff we're into and would like to do (not in any particular order):
-Antique shops (not high-end stuff)
-Cafe's, bakeries, cheese shops etc
-Nice areas to go for walks, we both enjoy nature
-Beautiful Architecture
-clubs & lounges (Of the jazz sort I guess, not so much into the dance party thing)
-Museums

We're in our late 20s and both physically fit, and looking for ideas of things to do. We're not into the whole rushing from the eiffel tower to see the louvre for an hour sort of thing that a lot of people do. I really just want to enjoy the experiences as much as possible, and figured at least a full week will allow us to do that.

Our interests are similar for Istanbul, though a bit more geared towards the ancient history in that area. Definitely would be interested in going to Cappadocia for a day, but would like to hear suggestions!

We're looking at around 14-16 days between the two locations, so if you'd recommend a change from splitting the time evenly between the two locations, I'd be open to hearing it.

Regarding Istanbul:

- It gets really cold in Istanbul during the winter. The temperature is not that low, but the strong wind, the humidity and the snow make it unbearable sometimes.
- You can find cheap apartments around Taksim if you are going to be there for a week.
- Forget about nice cafés and bakeries. Coffee and cozy cafés are not really appreciated in Turkey, so you'll have a hard time finding them in Istanbul. I've been there a lot and I haven't seen a single remarkable café. Turkish coffee is not bad, but not nearly as good as a decent espresso, so get used to narghiles and tea because it's a more authentic experience. Bakeries aren't good either, so you'll have to resort to baklava and simit places.
- Capadoccia is far away from Istanbul. I guess you could fly to Ankara, rent a car and get the gently caress out of there right away because it only has the ugly mausoleum and the museum of Anatolian civilizations. You can then go to Pamukkale and Cappadocia, which are both relatively close.
- Don't be afraid to take buses if you want to get out of Istanbul. There are five or six major companies and all of them offer "suit" buses which are cheap, comfortable and come with individual TVs, Wi-Fi, waiter, etc.
- Princes' Islands is a nice day trip.
- I wouldn't stay eight days in Istanbul, but maybe that's just me because I spent way too much time there.