Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Last weeks Elsa death toll: 2 Voles.

Naturally she got cranky when she wasn't allowed to eat them. And she will not be off leash in the woods anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

riht posted:

After months of consideration and waiting, we finally brought home our husky puppy Beignet (we call him Ben for short). He's been with us for four days now and seems to be adjusting well. He's very friendly and laid back; he'll approach anyone without fear and will allow himself to be touched and petted all over.

So far he's not a huge fan of other barky dogs in the neighbors' yards, but hopefully that'll be curbed when he's old enough to get the rest of his shots and meet some new friends. Also, he just tends to go nuts when we try to take him on the leash in the yard, but he's gotten a little better about it. Surprisingly, he doesn't seem to like to spend much time in the yard, but I think that's also in part to the crazy high temperatures around here lately.

His favorite spot, in front of the fan keeping cool:

Eating a tasty chicken dinner:

Combining two of his favorite activities.. putting his paws in/on his water dish and sleeping:

I know I'm late, but congrats on your new pup! He's really cute, can I ask where you got him? I love light, dilute coloring like that in huskies, it makes them look extra soft when they get older. :3: I hope things are still going well for you guys, and I hope you post here if you ever have any questions or problems. Also, post lots and lots of growing up pictures. :3:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Rosalita Ford is less blonde this year than last year. She had been a mostly outdoor dog, now mostly-indoors, so maybe less sun bleaching?

She's happy, but that was about the end of that walk for her. I also brushed another pound of hair from her that night.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
http://kotaku.com/5829189/meet-a-dog-thats-blissfully-unaware-hes-cosplaying-amaterasu/gallery/5?preview=0 Samoyed cosplays as Amaterasu, adorable!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Ha! A friend of mine just posted this on my facebook. That's a good dog. :3:

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int

WolfensteinBag posted:

I know I'm late, but congrats on your new pup! He's really cute, can I ask where you got him? I love light, dilute coloring like that in huskies, it makes them look extra soft when they get older. :3: I hope things are still going well for you guys, and I hope you post here if you ever have any questions or problems. Also, post lots and lots of growing up pictures. :3:

Thanks a lot, he's been a handful some days, but he's learning the ropes pretty quickly. We got him from a breeder here in Maryland. Since my last post, he barely barks (if at all) when we put him in his crate at night, and when we put him back in after his nighttime bathroom trips. He's adjusted very well to the leash, but he's still wary of the outside because of how hot it still is.

He's growing very fast, and the vet says he's going to be a pretty big boy; he was 13.6 lbs at the 9 week mark. Right now we're dealing with all of his teething and biting. Specifically, he's pretty fond of biting my girlfriend's feet/ankles, which can be pretty brutal with those needly puppy teeth. She's tried making a hurt yelping noise, turning her back and ignoring him, and giving a firm NO, but we haven't found anything to be very successful aside from using the bitter spray on the legs of her pants and shoes/socks. Any advice with dealing with this would be much appreciated, because we're kind of our of ideas and we've gone through most of the approaches we've read about.

Here are a couple newer pictures of him. The markings around his eyes are really darkening and he's becoming quite the handsome boy. He's entering the goofy phase in which his ears are looking too big for his body. I'll try to post some pictures with more of a sense of size next time.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Guh I want to cuddle him so hard.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awwww, he looks so soft! :3: That's so weird that his mask is darkening, usually they get lighter as they get older! It'll be neat to see how he changes.

As far as the mouthing goes, I'd take a two pronged approach. Do your very best to either yelp or give a sharp "Aht!" or some similar correction. Only give him one chance, don't keep repeating it over and over, or it'll become white noise. If he doesn't respond and keeps at it, separate either yourself or him from the situation so there's no more fun to be had. Dogs with a lot of energy will easily become wound up and over stimulated as puppies, so it's good for them to learn how to calm down.

The other half of training is what to do when he gets it right. If you correct him and he backs off, or even better, if you can see he WANTS to be nippy but refrains entirely, then that's the time to treat and praise like a mad man. It's really important to reward good behavior because your pup needs to see the benefit of behaving, otherwise he's going to continue to try to get away with things that are self rewarding. It would be good to tie all of this to a command, also. Something like "play nice" might be good. That way when he is calm, you can go on and on praising and repeating the command, so he makes the connection. :)

Granted, regardless of training, you still have a wild little husky puppy on your hands so even after Ben understands the command it might be a while before he is really great about listening, but this is definitely the time to start the foundation for his basics.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They can definitely understand commands very early, start training immediately to get the foundations down. I had Nikita sitting for food and waiting for a command to take it a week after I got her. The tough part is convincing them to listen to you for a smaller/no reward.

Also: I see your fuzzbutt likes to splash in water bowls, too!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 10, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Ben is absolutely adorable. :3: Hrafn still has a thing about splashing in his metal dish, except only when it's empty. He'll pounce it around the lounge for a good half hour or more whilst making the most ridiculous yapping sound. :downs:

I was greeted with this when I came downstairs this morning:

That sofa is too small for either of you. Don't look at me like that just because I woke you up.

Also I made a really realistic portrait of him.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love Hrafn :3: It's like a fight between his ears and his nose as to which will achieve head-dominance.

riht
Dec 13, 2004

Hrafn looks awesome, do you have some more pictures of him? I'm looking forward to the day Ben can relax on the couch like a normal person. He also likes to dig at the water dish more when it's empty or nearly empty like he's going to dig down further and find more water.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 13, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Yesterday some A/C repair guys apparently failed to close the latch on my back yard gate and instead propped it closed with a rock. So this morning Nikita got loose and had an adventure. She got chased on two occasions by animal control in a nearby development and avoided my searches for a good 5-6 hours. Thankfully a woman noticed her near the side of the road and was able to call me using the number off her nametag. She'd gone about 3 miles, crossed one of the major highways using an overpass, and was making a beeline for the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum. Unfortunately this spoiled little dog wasn't aware that the outside gets pretty hot and nobody fills up water bowls for you, so she'd flopped over under some trees to cool down a bit and was VERY happy to see me.

So, a lesson about primitive breeds here: Your dog may love you to death, to the point of having separation anxiety when you leave, but they have terrible recall and can make it pretty far while exploring/lost.

Edit: I think I figured out what's causing her seizures. She had another seizure about 15 minutes after I saw her grazing on some random weeds out back this morning.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 13, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh gosh, I'm so glad she's safe back with you! :ohdear:

riht Haha, having a couchdog is a blessing and a curse! Raf will get down when you tell him, but he will pretty much always try and snuggle up with you if there is space free. I keep a little photoblog of him here which has some pics of him all the way from puppy stage to adult. (Just click the little 'archive' button at the side to go back further) It needs new pics though! I'm looking forward to seeing his first proper winter coat grow in; fuzz time! :toot:

riht
Dec 13, 2004

That's pretty scary, I'm glad that Nikita ended up home safely.

Here are some new pictures of Ben, you can see that his mask is coming in a little darker still. He almost has complete circles around his eyes now.

riht fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 15, 2011

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

riht posted:

It looks like he's been wearing dirty glasses or something. :3:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

An exciting day in the life of a brown thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBygGi6ZYrg
Neighbourhood Watch duties.

Followed by walkies during which, somehow, he managed to make himself smell like vomit. Therefore bath time! :toot:

augh

gently caress you

"I was just in there and hated it but HAY WHAT'S THIS?"

This looks like-

"- we're going down, Captain!"

themindisonfire
Feb 23, 2009

Warbadger posted:

Yesterday some A/C repair guys apparently failed to close the latch on my back yard gate and instead propped it closed with a rock. So this morning Nikita got loose and had an adventure. She got chased on two occasions by animal control in a nearby development and avoided my searches for a good 5-6 hours. Thankfully a woman noticed her near the side of the road and was able to call me using the number off her nametag. She'd gone about 3 miles, crossed one of the major highways using an overpass, and was making a beeline for the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum. Unfortunately this spoiled little dog wasn't aware that the outside gets pretty hot and nobody fills up water bowls for you, so she'd flopped over under some trees to cool down a bit and was VERY happy to see me.

Oh man I'd be so scared if that happened to my dog. I've got a Sam mix and people are still like HURP DURP THAT'S A WOLF and with all the stupid people owning wolf hybrids and getting bitten (true story, there's an animal rescue in the area I used to live in and there were rumors going around about the owner's wolf hybrid dogs killing her rescue dogs) and the weird mix of rural/suburban/urban place I used to live, it's always been a secret fear of mine that he'd be shot at if he got separated from me.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

Warbadger posted:

So, a lesson about primitive breeds here: Your dog may love you to death, to the point of having separation anxiety when you leave, but they have terrible recall and can make it pretty far while exploring/lost.

Edit: I think I figured out what's causing her seizures. She had another seizure about 15 minutes after I saw her grazing on some random weeds out back this morning.

A couple of hotels off of M and 24th street where I work have little rest areas and they put out water bowls for dogs in the summer. Course it's even farther to here that the Aerospace museum but still!

Basically what I'm saying is I wish I got to pet your awesome dog if she got over my way :)

riht
Dec 13, 2004

So a few days ago, we switched Ben over to his bigger crate now that we got a divider for it, and man was he not happy. It felt like we're back to square one with training him to like the crate. He's more settled in now and back to napping there during the day, so hopefully he'll be back to liking his home soon.

Here's a picture of him on his longest walk thus yet, taken with a better camera:

edit: the color in this picture is actually accurate, unlike my other terrible cell phone pics

riht fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 21, 2011

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Ben's glasses are the BEST! :3:

Also, if any of you goons are going to be in DFW on 9/25, you can get a chance to meet Koji looking like a pretty pretty girl at the Dallas Japanese Festival. Our rescue is going to have a booth for promotion and we're pretty excited about it. :v:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A distinct lack of huskyballs in here.

Have a kitaball instead!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 5, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I almost lost Kaidan yesterday.

I got home from work and took him and Eris on a walk like usual. I normally put on an extra collar that's a bit tighter that way if anything happens to their leash, they have their tags (both are chipped too, I just like being cautious). Lately I've been a little lazy in using the extra collars and ordering them newer/nicer ones as well.

We get about 4 blocks away and as we turn a corner they see a squirrel in someone's yard across the street so Kaidan starts getting a little excited. I didn't have treats on me as we ran out two days ago and I haven't had a chance to grab more. I redirect his attention to me, and we walk back a bit to get back around the corner where they can't see the squirrel anymore and I let them calm down a little bit. I look around the corner and don't see it there anymore so we continue our route (I would have just gone a different direction but we were walking to my landlord's house to drop off rent). Turns out it was still there on a tree blending in so I missed it.

Kaidan starts getting more excited than usual so I quickly turn around and encourage them to come with me and head back where we came from. Kaidan slipped his collar. He sprinted toward the squirrel who was gone by then and as I was chasing him he ran back across the street. I'm trying to run in 95 degree heat while wearing jeans and having Eris on leash still try to get Kaidan to come back and he's just frolicking and having the time of his life. 2-3 cars drive by with their windows down and somehow seem to not even notice me or Kaidan.

I chased him for 5-6 blocks with him never leaving my sight and he ends up back at my front door. Our porch has a large 3-4 foot hedge that closes in the walkway to the door from the driveway and he was in there. As me and Eris catch up he walks back out into the driveway which thankfully my car was blocking most of. If he sprinted again I probably would have had a heart attack. As Eris and I started getting up the driveway he walked right back over to the front door and sat down in front of it :3: He ran back the exact path we always take, including walking in the cross walk lines :3:

I was completely shocked and relieved. I hooked out his collar and leash again and I think we just sat on the ground in front of the house for like 10 minutes. I have no clue what I would have done if something happened or I lost sight of him. Needless to say, I'm getting both of them better collars this weekend.

Also I will try to post new Kaidan huskyball pictures in the next couple of days. I think I have some that haven't been posted yet.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

homan, I would have lost it! Actually, Koji is being a big baby since we moved, so he's staying in the crate when we're not home right now, mostly because I'm afraid he'll slip out and run right out onto one of the major streets up the block trying to get back to the old apartment or something. :ohdear: I know he'll get into a new routine soon, but he's not helping my stress levels at the moment! :argh:

Also, this adds to that two of the OK6 have gotten away. :( One is still on Galveston Island, so she shouldn't go FAR, but still needs to be found. And another one is small and bit the foster family before running off, and with her nasty rear end mouth not fixed yet, the bite got infected. :sigh: Not a good week for the rescue... (neither of them were Katsumitrashmouth or Fattyfatmomo. They're both doing really well and feel better after having the nasty teeth gone.)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, I was freaking out a ton, the fact that he ran back to our front door is still absolutely amazing to me. Best god damned dog.

And yeah, moving is always rough. Kaidan broke the corner of his crate tray and dog a 2"x4" hole in the carpet a few weeks after we moved into this house. That sounds like a rough week all around though, hopefully things start going better. How's the new place?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, it should as soon as I'm able to get some sleep. Running on fumes these past few days.

BUT I forgot to share pictures of some of the Akitas we got to hang out with at the festival. :3: They had both JA and AA there, but we didn't have a chance to leave our booth the whole time we were there, so I only got to sperg with them after the festival was over. I didn't get their names, but the Akita on the left being held by the guy kept trying to give me kisses and jumped up on me because I had treats I wasn't sharing after his first few. :3:

There was also a white JA and a few pinto AAs, but I don't remember if I saw any brindles. We saw plenty of puppy pictures from one of the Akita Club of Texas' members who stopped by our booth to show them off. I wanted them all.

Koji, Dug and Jiro with their brethren. They were so interested in Koji for some reason...

djafestival2011_6 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

djafestival2011_7 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

What was really awesome, though, was I got to meet Carla Ross from Roscka Kennels. She stopped by the booth with one of her very pretty B&T show boys and hung out with us to answer questions for people. She's pretty much the only Shiba show breeder (that's any good) in Dallas, and the breeder of one of my friends' Shibas (though he's kinda fat and a snot...) She may be bad at getting back to you in emails, but man she makes an awesome dog. We also had a wooly stop by and the owner learned she didn't have a mix, just an extremely fluffy Shiba.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 29, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh god those Akiiiittaaasssssss :swoon:

Also I hope that all of this means you guys are closer to getting an Akita. Koji needs an Akitabuddy.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Do not even care about how big of jerks akitas are, I love that look. So orange and fluffy. :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

So I'm hopefully going to be attending an agility seminar by this woman:

Yes, that's a Shiba. An Agili-Shiba.

I imagine she's quite good, based on those photos alone. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Oh god those Akiiiittaaasssssss :swoon:

Also I hope that all of this means you guys are closer to getting an Akita. Koji needs an Akitabuddy.

He so does. Our new places DOES allow Akitas (for some reason...) but we're still waiting to figure out where Jeff is going to grad school. SOON. I hope. :ohdear:

a life less posted:

So I'm hopefully going to be attending an agility seminar by this woman:

Yes, that's a Shiba. An Agili-Shiba.

I imagine she's quite good, based on those photos alone. :3:

:neckbeard: Heee! Yeah, a friend from NYCSR had cool rally, agility and obedience flyers that were Shiba specific for us to print out for our festival that we didn't actually end up using. I can see them being REALLY good at it, and at the same time REALLY BAD. Like my dog. :v:

That little dog looks smug as gently caress. :smugdog:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks for posting pictures! I was just thinking about this thread the other day wishing people would post because I'm too lazy to. :haw: So keep updating, people!!

riht
Dec 13, 2004

I'm glad this thread's alive again, I figured I'd post an update on Ben. He just hit 4 months old and is doing quite well. We had a couple weeks of no biting, but then he lost his first couple front teeth the other day and has been kind of a bitey menace. Other than that, he's behaving quite well. Being able to go out for a few hours at a time has been INCREDIBLE. It felt like we were under house arrest for a while.

Here's a couple updated pictures of Ben. He's lost the full goggles, but he has some pretty rad nose stripe things that I think will stay with him. His mom has a similar mask.

Mom dog:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oooh Ben is gorgeous! My neighbors have a husky the same colour as Ben and his mom. I just love the white eyelashes :3: Are Ben's eyes hazel?

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
Was searching through the forums and came across this thread and figured I would post a few shots of my Akita, Kiyo. She is a little over a year and a half old now.

At the dog park.

Looking like a spazz at the beach with a friend.

Sneaky Akita.

Dignified. Very.

Resting after a few hours at the beach.

She loves cats.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kiyo is GORGEOUS!!!

Maybe I'm biased because my childhood dog Seko was a fawn like her :3: :3: More pictures please!

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
Careful now, 90% of the photos on my phone are of my dog. I can spend way too long posting them. But who doesn't love dog pictures?

Comfy dirt.

She LOVES bully sticks. It used to take her forever to eat them. Recently she figured out that if she actually chews on them she can eat them faster, and hopefully get another.

We spent a week in downtown Portland in a condo. It is amazing how many dogs there are in that city.

Me leaving for work, she is contemplating coming with.

Filthy from playing in the mud with a neighbors' dog. She was about 6 or 8 months there.

Our pets were helping us unpack after moving into the new house....

This is at Point Isabel in Richmond, CA. Absolutely the best dog park I have been to. It is a 23 acre off leash park. They have a self/full service dog wash, a cafe, a few small beaches, grassy areas, rocks to climb on, and dirt to roll in! When we go there in the summer on weekends there are probably 150-200 dogs there. Its awesome!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Okay I want your dog. I am willing to pay 50% of the shipping costs, and will send photos once/week for life :P hahah
Awesome looking dog
And I REALLY wish we had sweet dog parks like that around here :( We got nothing good, my city sucks. Our "Best" dog park is 1/4 block, fenced, with a gazebo. We ~might~ be getting a light so that at night its not pitch black, but that's in the next year or two heh.
Okay, I've changed my mind...can I ship myself (and my dog) to you? :P

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't know, I went out to Pt. Isabel and was really disappointed, never went back. It's basically just a short narrow trail next to the water (and sometimes too close to the parking lot). As your neighborhood dog walk it's fine, but overall Ocean Beach or Strawberry Hill (in Golden Gate Park) are much cooler dog areas in my opinion. Or if you're near Pt. Isabel, short drive across the Richmond Bridge to the Ring Mountain Open Space which is amazing for dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Oh god you guys, I CANNOT HAVE A DOG AND I WANT ONE.

I used to babysit for a family who had an Akita, well two. The first one was gorgeous and loved my rottweiler but was sadly killed in the bushfires.

Their next Akita was also a fantastic dog; really smart, loved a cuddle and so good with their 2 year old daughter.

Can vouch for the mad shedding too.

Also found this video of a sleeptalking shiba in the feel good thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kIJqXLMLwc

The little howl at 0:19 is fantastic.

Cat Plant fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2011

• Locked thread