Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I bought Reebok 14 inch 5k's since they had no 4k's. They still have the vent thing down by the shin and they're removable so less stank. THey're thicker than my previous shin pads though so I'll try a non tuck at practice tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I loving suck at Defense. I told the captain of the team that I subbed for last night that I won't sub anymore if he's going to put me out on D. I had 2 pucks hop over my stick at the offensive blue line that led to breakaways for the other team.

I did score a goal from a point shot, and a guy in front of the net tipped one of my shots in so I got an assist. That felt kinda good, but gently caress the rest of it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

trilljester posted:

I loving suck at Defense. I told the captain of the team that I subbed for last night that I won't sub anymore if he's going to put me out on D. I had 2 pucks hop over my stick at the offensive blue line that led to breakaways for the other team.

I did score a goal from a point shot, and a guy in front of the net tipped one of my shots in so I got an assist. That felt kinda good, but gently caress the rest of it.

At least you acknowledge sucking at it. Nothing is worse than partnering with a d-man who only thinks he knows what he's doing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Habibi posted:

At least you acknowledge sucking at it. Nothing is worse than partnering with a d-man who only thinks he knows what he's doing.

At least we didn't lose. We were actually up 3-1 at one point, then I let the puck by me, and the forward cut around me and took off. He was pretty fast so I couldn't catch up to him to stop him from scoring, so it was 3-2. The shot they fired to make it 3-3 was an awful soft goal by the goalie. He wasn't screened, and the shot came from about 35 feet out. He just misplayed it and in it went. My goal put us up 4-3, but with 57 seconds left they tied it up.

Funny thing was the captain of this team is a far better defenseman than he is a centerman, yet he insists on playing center. I'm a far better centerman than defenseman, I even told him that before the game, but, I'm not calling the shots, so... *shrugs*

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

trilljester posted:

At least we didn't lose. We were actually up 3-1 at one point, then I let the puck by me, and the forward cut around me and took off. He was pretty fast so I couldn't catch up to him to stop him from scoring, so it was 3-2. The shot they fired to make it 3-3 was an awful soft goal by the goalie. He wasn't screened, and the shot came from about 35 feet out. He just misplayed it and in it went. My goal put us up 4-3, but with 57 seconds left they tied it up.

Funny thing was the captain of this team is a far better defenseman than he is a centerman, yet he insists on playing center. I'm a far better centerman than defenseman, I even told him that before the game, but, I'm not calling the shots, so... *shrugs*

The captain of my team is a far better forward than defenseman (he's not great at either, but he's good at hanging on to the puck around the boards and is tough to knock off of it) but insists on playing D. Funny thing is, I don't mind playing with him at all because he's so predictable. Anytime he gets the puck, I know for a fact that he's going to do the dumbest and riskiest possible thing with it, and that makes it easy for me to play off of the puck. By contrast, we have another much better d-man on the team, but the guy thinks he's hot poo poo (and he is offensively talented - but anytime the opposing team scores a goal, chances are he's on the rink and I'm not) and is completely unpredictable, so playing with him is an ungodly pain in the rear end because I feel like I'm never quite sure what he he's going to be doing.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

I heard that the palms in those gloves are terrible for durability. I tried them on at hockeygiant and they fit amazing but if the palms won't hold up it sort of deterred me

The palms on mine don't seem to be wearing any faster or slower then any other glove I've owned.

After 2 seasons my left palm has a small hole pin hole worn through where it rubs on the butt of the stick. There is another layer of material below the first however and it is still un-damaged. Right palm is totally fine, no real ware at all.

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld

Petit.Conan posted:

Sherwood 5030 are the only shoulder pads you'll ever need.

For gloves I think the Easton s19's are the best bang for your buck, but I've never been a fan of Eagle gloves either.

Those Easton S19's look sexy as gently caress. I might get those.

I'd be afraid of standing in front of the net or blocking shots with those Sherwood 5030's :(

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I poke checked a guy yesterday as he took a slap shot and I got hit in the chest with pieces of broken stick. I was like "gently caress MY NEW STICK" but then I heard him go "gently caress MY NEW STICK" and saw my stick was unscathed.

:smug:

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Those 5030's are pretty much a staple for beer league here. Usually about 50% of the players wear them, or the "high end" 9950 version. Your not going to find anything lighter or more low profile.

If you really want to look like a space man you can always try these Farrel H500's. They look about the same weight/size as the 5030's but with a bit more chest protection. Never ever seen a pair in real life however.

Nothing wrong with those Reebok 9k shoulder pads either.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Bauer one75 for lyfe! As a smaller player it helps me feel a lot more protected.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace did you sign up for that IceAngeles league? I did.

Also might have a lead on a Tuesday night pickup game up in Burbank. I think that's pretty far for you, no?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
5-0 victory tonight. We outplayed them and I felt a little guilty at times, but a win is a win. I was point number 2 with a breakaway up the boards into the 4 hole. Felt good to put that motherfucker home after last game.

Also played center on the penalty kill. First face-off in years. The other player was surprised when I picked up his stick and turned my body into him. I had a big lovely grin all over my face when I pulled that one for a kick-pass to my defense.

Hockey is the best sport for amateurs to play.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well I'm officially an over the tongue guy. The new shin pads though were loving awesome. I felt like I had a lot more mobility compared to the last ones and these actually sit on my knee comfortably and I can kneel down and get up a lot easier. They are noticeably thicker on the base of the shin pad though so I basically can't tuck them under the tongue.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

19 o'clock posted:

Also played center on the penalty kill. First face-off in years. The other player was surprised when I picked up his stick and turned my body into him. I had a big lovely grin all over my face when I pulled that one for a kick-pass to my defense.
Ahh the good old left stick counter-clockwise, right stick forwards NHL12 win... :haw:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Also might have a lead on a Tuesday night pickup game up in Burbank. I think that's pretty far for you, no?

No money this month for hockey, saving for next season either at skating edge or glacial gardens.

If it's a good pickup that doesn't mind someone at my level I will drive to Burbank easy. PM me details?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Oh yeah, I'm also an official under-the-tongue guy. My 15" pads leave me about 3/4" of unprotected space on the left and right of my tongue.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Haha, yeah that video was me. Obviously I knew it wasn't going to count which is why I just skated away. In hindsight, I should have rode my stick in celebration to try to sell it.

Best part is that even after the ref called the obvious no-goal, everyone lined up at center as if I did score.
Nice tape job.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
So we had 3 skaters and our goalie show up for our first game. Being on the "house team" is the best. One of our guys was legit sick, and we did end up having 2 more filter in about halfway through the first period.

For the first time the team has ever skated together we lost 5-3, I was -2 on the night. Lots of defensive breakdowns, people now knowing exactly where to be, or really what position they're playing. Our goalie actually kept us in the game and we were up 3-2 at one point, but 45minutes of 1-sub hockey is apparently too much for the team, me included.

It was wonderful though. I'm so happy to be back out there.

Next game is sunday. Currently debating drop in on saturday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Nice tape job.

The goalie couldn't see the puck release!!!!!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The goalie couldn't see the puck release!!!!!
Black puck, black gloves... you sure did fool him!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I think I'm in the market for new skates for inline. The Tours I have are holding up in terms of durability but the fit is really getting to me. If I have my shinguards under the tongue, the sides of the boots destroy my ankles. If I have the guards over the tongue, the tongue gives me a nasty indian burn on the top of my feet. I can't win ha. Any one have any suggestions of a skate with a better padded tongue? I haven't checked out anything in person yet but online the Bauer Vapor XR:5 looked to have a nice tongue at a good price point

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Went up to block a shot in my roller game last night - I play D but our forwards were just all over the place that game so I had somehow ended up covering the point - and being about 10 feet away as he wound up, the shinguard placement discussion briefly flashed through my head.... And then the puck hit the inside of my right ankle. Shinguard wouldn't have done a drat thing, but ow.

Of course, earlier in the game the same player had put a wrist shot off of my tender inner thigh, right between the chunks of padding, and about 2 inches down from my nutsack. Stung like a bitch.

Losing made it hurt even more. :(

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

sellouts posted:

I've played there last season and signed up again this season. The rink where the games are played is right down the street from me.

The price is good compared to the other leagues around the area, and the rink is pretty good since the re-modeled the entire ice surface/boards.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

nice, what level? played at tsc but this is my first season there... I think I'll be in bronze as I havent played in about 18 months

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

nice, what level? played at tsc but this is my first season there... I think I'll be in bronze as I havent played in about 18 months

I think I found the page for that burbank game, looks like they do tues and wed, they have some numbers listed too, I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they say about the level of play / how many people show. Have you heard anything? Also I heard they started regular pick up at TSC on the new pond rink.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

Went up to block a shot in my roller game last night - I play D but our forwards were just all over the place that game so I had somehow ended up covering the point - and being about 10 feet away as he wound up, the shinguard placement discussion briefly flashed through my head.... And then the puck hit the inside of my right ankle. Shinguard wouldn't have done a drat thing, but ow.

Of course, earlier in the game the same player had put a wrist shot off of my tender inner thigh, right between the chunks of padding, and about 2 inches down from my nutsack. Stung like a bitch.

Losing made it hurt even more. :(

In the last week I've taken a slapshot off the back of me calf, a clearing shot off the inside/back of my thigh and a shot off the outside of my ankle, I feel your pain.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

I think I found the page for that burbank game, looks like they do tues and wed, they have some numbers listed too, I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they say about the level of play / how many people show. Have you heard anything? Also I heard they started regular pick up at TSC on the new pond rink.

Level is from canadians to a guy I know that started playing last year. I've heard they're real cool.

And gently caress TSC. If these new leagues/pick ups work out I won't go back there.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What an eventful week. Scoring streak, saw a zamboni driving down the street.

Pretty much loving awesome all around.

e: Like a boss...

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 2, 2011

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Level is from canadians to a guy I know that started playing last year. I've heard they're real cool.

And gently caress TSC. If these new leagues/pick ups work out I won't go back there.

When do you plan on heading up to burbank?

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
Haven't been able to hit the rink for awhile after messing up my groin doing squats at the gym :( Just watching players skate on tv make my groin sore thinkin about it.

Though I've been meaning to give my skates a sharpen, looked some things up and wow, never knew there were differences in sharpenings until reading this..

http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

I usually just gave my skates to the dood at the shop and he would just sharpen without asking questings, gently caress that guy. Think I'm going to give 3/8's hollow a try.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Angry Asian posted:

I usually just gave my skates to the dood at the shop and he would just sharpen without asking questings, gently caress that guy. Think I'm going to give 3/8's hollow a try.

If you're used to 1/2", which I believe is pretty standard, be prepared for your blades to bite more into the ice. I use a 5/8" cut, and I had a guy adjust his sharpener the wrong way and give me a 3/8" instead. I couldn't stop because my blades had so much bite that they wouldn't slide.

I went down on my knees at stick-n-puck last night and now my right knee is all bruised and swollen, even after icing it most of the day. Am about to go to the rink and play on it though as we're shorthanded already, and I have another game late Tuesday that will probably be shorthanded too. Hope I can walk when I leave the rink tonight.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ug. My team lost the first two games of our season by a combined score of 12-1. Tonight we were up 3-0 going into the 3rd but the other team picked up 2 goals early in the period. They pulled their goalie with a minute left but we got it out of the zone and were carrying it two on one through the neutral zone but the center decided to shoot on the empty net from the red line and missed. The d-man beat me to the puck in the corner and took it end to end to score and tie the game with 40 seconds left. The game ended as a tie but it really feels like a loss.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Just got back from my first game. I was by far the worst player on the ice, but I had a lot of fun! We lost the game 4-1 =( and I was a -2 but I feel that I'll get significantly better as the season goes on and hopefully won't be such a huge liability.

I have absolutely zero vision with the puck at the moment haha. Our right D put it up the boards around the D I was covering and we had a 3 on 1 break. I broke the blueline before realizing where my teammates were. At that point the defender had caught up with me and I bounced it off his skate to a teammate.

Hahaha fun. Also we have 2 girls on our team. And the are much better than me haha. Everyone was really nice though, which is kinda expected since I know most of them and Con-Ed is a kinda tight knit community.

Also in warm up my shots were pathetic, but I attribute that to the fact it was the first time I ever shot a puck on an ice surface wearing skates and I have a hard enough time maintaining balance normally anyway =P

Overall, very fun. I'll have an even better time when I don't feel like a black hole of suck every shift.

Sumixam
Jun 9, 2004

Always got to wash them at their ends.

lizardking posted:

Finally! After starting the D3( soon to be renamed to D2) season with 1 tie and then 4 consecutive losses it felt good to dominate with a 4-1 win. 2 goals and 1 assist. Woooooooooooooo. So much for sleep.

Do you play at the cube? I ask because of your avatar and the league tier names.

e: C league champs '09 :smug:. We had one UM club player on the team who was needless to say, really good.

e2: This is actually the highest league (there is no B or A league)

Sumixam fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 3, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alizee posted:

first game notes

Congrats man, great to hear your first game went pretty positively.

You will be shocked how much you progress from game 1 to your last game. This will increase so much more if you can get out there and practice with stick and puck, open hockey, drop in, whatever you have.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Alizee posted:

stuff

That's awesome. I feel like I got a lot better in my first 5-10 games when I started and it's a really good feeling when you realize that you can actually contribute instead of just trying not to be a liability.

Good luck getting to sleep tonight.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Alizee posted:

first game
Nice!

Also, tell your teammates to talk to you out there. Vision with the puck takes a LONG time to develop, so it's much easier to know if you have numbers when someone tells you.

(I've been playing for ~2 years and my passing vision still sucks)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Finally got on the scoreboard last night. Their goalie comes out of his net to play a puck that was dumped down into their end. We had my forward partner in on the forecheck and I was roaming around the middle of the rink just wishing the goalie tried to shoot it up the middle. Well I got my wish! Always good to get your first goal of the season on a misplay from their team

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

lazerwolf posted:

Finally got on the scoreboard last night. Their goalie comes out of his net to play a puck that was dumped down into their end. We had my forward partner in on the forecheck and I was roaming around the middle of the rink just wishing the goalie tried to shoot it up the middle. Well I got my wish! Always good to get your first goal of the season on a misplay from their team
Hi Matt Cooke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Robo-Pope posted:

Hi Matt Cooke

Yup forgot to mention my flying elbow into the other player ending his beer league career...