Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

A $200 tablet with a strong pedigree like Kindle is going to fill a hole in the market I think. I find it quite appealing. Right now your price points are $400 for android and $600 for Ipads, the Fire looks capable and pretty. Now that I have gotten over my Ipad love affair, I think a smaller Tablet that is geared around reading and light browsing is exactly what I want.

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Umph posted:

1) How do you guys read at night on a kindle? It doesn't light up right?

2) Is there DRM on the kindle? Like lets say I know a guy with some epub schoolbooks that save him hundreds of dollars a year, do the books HAVE to be either non licensed or purchased from Amazon?

1) Doesn't light up, but I'd recommend buying the lighted cover off Amazon.
2) The books don't have to be from Amazon. You can put just about any book on the Kindle as long as it's a compatible format (PDF/MOBI/anything else I'm missing).

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Stupid question, will you be able to transfer your own video files onto the Fire, or are you stuck with what you get from Amazon ?

Considering the Fire OS is based on Android, there's a strong possibility that you will be able to transfer your own video to the Fire.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Dammit, I was set on a Nook Touch, and now Amazon messed everything up. I'd still rather have the Nook Touch just because of the microSD slot and I like the look better, but neither of those are worth $40. Surely B&N will drop the price of the Nook Touch, right? How else could they compete with Amazon?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Dammit, I was set on a Nook Touch, and now Amazon messed everything up. I'd still rather have the Nook Touch just because of the microSD slot and I like the look better, but neither of those are worth $40. Surely B&N will drop the price of the Nook Touch, right? How else could they compete with Amazon?

The Nook Touch is the same price as a Kindle Touch without ads.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

The Nook Touch is the same price as a Kindle Touch without ads.

Yes, and $40 less with ads. What's your point?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is there any problem with importing an american Kindle WiFi to the UK? Can I reconfigure it to buy from the UK store?

Amazon are being dicks and only releasing the vanilla Kindle here, not the Touch :argh:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

repiv posted:

Is there any problem with importing an american Kindle WiFi to the UK? Can I reconfigure it to buy from the UK store?

Amazon are being dicks and only releasing the vanilla Kindle here, not the Touch :argh:

They're both the exact same thing. No reconfiguring necessary!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

repiv posted:

Well, from what I understand the Kindle Touch will be released later in the USA than the Kindle will be.

So perhaps it WILL be released in the UK at the same time, but they're just not allowing pre-orders because of fulfilment issues?

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

The UK apparently isn't getting the Kindle Touch, but even so this release has confused me. Not sure whether to proceed as planned and wait for the Sony PRS-T1 to come out (ePub support) or just grab a new keyboardless Kindle for £89. Is having to use .mobi lovely or not a real issue? Does a Kindle work fine with Calibre?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kindle is the most popular ereader in the world, most of the new stuff these days are available in mobi format. Calibre will convert your existing epubs fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Car Stranger posted:

The UK apparently isn't getting the Kindle Touch

Yet? Or ever? I know it's not listed on the Amazon UK page at present.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Anyone with a Nook Touch had an issue with fingerprints? I've got to replace my Kindle 3 that I lost and I'm torn between the new Kindle and Kindle Touch.

The Kindle for $79 is a great deal, however I think using the store and typing with no keyboard will really, really suck. The Kindle Touch won't have that problem and comes with a few extras (audio and the new X-Ray feature).

I am concerned about how bad a touch e-ink screen would get fingerprints and smudges though, any thoughts?

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Lightslinger posted:

Anyone with a Nook Touch had an issue with fingerprints? I've got to replace my Kindle 3 that I lost and I'm torn between the new Kindle and Kindle Touch.

The Kindle for $79 is a great deal, however I think using the store and typing with no keyboard will really, really suck. The Kindle Touch won't have that problem and comes with a few extras (audio and the new X-Ray feature).

I am concerned about how bad a touch e-ink screen would get fingerprints and smudges though, any thoughts?
On my Nook Touch, I have had no problems whatsoever with fingerprints. If I wanted to see them, I'd have to twist it all around to get light to reflect off of them just right. YMMV, but I think it looks great.

I've got a part-time job at B&N, and it's going to be interesting to see how we respond to the new Kindles. There are persistent, somewhat credible rumors of announcing something(s) ourselves in a few weeks, and I hope Amazon will again be forced to play catch-up like they did with their newest products. Right now, B&N seems to be arranging things so that in-store customer service and tech support will be a major selling point for Nooks. I can't wait until the day they come out with "Nook Squad" shirts for us to wear.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the matte screen doesn't lend itself to fingerprints easily. You have to look at the thing from an extreme angle under a really bright light source to see them.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Another Nook Touch user reporting no fingerprints.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Eyecannon posted:

Another Nook Touch user reporting no fingerprints.

Same, not really an issue.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
The only problem I've had with my Nook Touch is that once in a while the touchscreen stops working... a quick reboot fixes it, but it's sort of annoying. I've heard of others with the problem, was hoping someone would fix it. I am running TouchNooter.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm assuming that the X-Ray feature only works on Amazon-bought kindle books, not side-loaded content, right? It won't scan some .mobi file you put on the device for character names or subjects to download from wikipedia?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yes, and $40 less with ads. What's your point?

That the Nook Touch's price is fine? You can hardly expect B&N to drop it to the price of the ad-supported one when they have no kind of ad-supported model already, Amazon can only afford them being that cheap by running the ads.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Eyecannon posted:

The only problem I've had with my Nook Touch is that once in a while the touchscreen stops working... a quick reboot fixes it, but it's sort of annoying. I've heard of others with the problem, was hoping someone would fix it. I am running TouchNooter.

These touchscreen issues are pretty much the only thing keeping me from plunking down for a Nook Touch right now.

Well, that and some mild concerns about the long-term prospects of B&N as a company and where that would leave Nook owners. On the whole, I tend to value the Nook's rootability (and, with difficulty, customizability with Android) over Amazon's (more expensive) 3G capabilities. The libraries of the two stores are largely identical as best I can tell, and the ePub/MobiPocket divide gives only a moral victory to B&N rather than a functional one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For what it's worth, I haven't had a single touch issue on my Nook Touch.

Even if B&N went belly up tomorrow, I could still buy books from Kobo, Sony, or Google without any issue at all so I'm not really worried about it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

These touchscreen issues are pretty much the only thing keeping me from plunking down for a Nook Touch right now.

Well, that and some mild concerns about the long-term prospects of B&N as a company and where that would leave Nook owners. On the whole, I tend to value the Nook's rootability (and, with difficulty, customizability with Android) over Amazon's (more expensive) 3G capabilities. The libraries of the two stores are largely identical as best I can tell, and the ePub/MobiPocket divide gives only a moral victory to B&N rather than a functional one.

That's hardly a moral victory for B&N,both formats are widespread and open.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Kindle users can do the same since converting epub to mobi and vice versa is painless.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bull3964 posted:

Even if B&N went belly up tomorrow, I could still buy books from Kobo, Sony, or Google without any issue at all so I'm not really worried about it.

I'm honestly more concerned about technical support (e.g. battery replacements) which is already somewhat worse for the Nook than the Kindle. But it's only a mild concern if the hardware is sturdy.

trandorian posted:

That's hardly a moral victory for B&N,both formats are widespread and open.

The mobipocket format is publicly known and has been disassembled, but that doesn't mean it's actually open (compare: Binary MSOffice formats prior to Office Open XML). Like I said, it's a moral victory, not a real one because of the other comments above (i.e. converting between the two is lossless 99% of the time). The DRM schemes are more harmful and a bigger hurdle than the actual formats. ePub support itself is just a moral victory (aside from unusual extras that ePub offers, like embedded fonts).

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, with the number of charge cycles these things see, battery replacements aren't really something I'm terribly concerned about for any reader. You are looking at 10-12 charges a year realistically (as many as most smartphones see in a week.) Barring a defect, the battery is going to last much longer than you want to keep that device.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, with the number of charge cycles these things see, battery replacements aren't really something I'm terribly concerned about for any reader. You are looking at 10-12 charges a year realistically (as many as most smartphones see in a week.) Barring a defect, the battery is going to last much longer than you want to keep that device.

Mine gets charged every couple of days, the battery is nothing like as spectacular when it's used for wifi.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

commish posted:

Man, $79 Kindle and $199 Fire pretty much punch B&N in the face.

Edit: Oh no, a Kindle Touch. I'm sure some of you are furious :p

I'm going to ditch the gently caress out of my rooted Nook Color for the Fire. I'm seriously excited.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sad Panda posted:

Mine gets charged every couple of days, the battery is nothing like as spectacular when it's used for wifi.

Do you have a Nook Color?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Do you guys think the specs on the Fire look good? Have they shown specifications yet? The Android market will NOT be available right?

The SD card thing is unfortunate. Why must every product be 'almost' perfect?

Vertigus posted:

I'm going to ditch the gently caress out of my rooted Nook Color for the Fire. I'm seriously excited.

What about the Fire makes you want to switch? Just the Amazon CS?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Umph posted:

The Android market will NOT be available right?

Correct, but you will be able to side load apps so all you need to do is find the apk for the android market to get it on there presumably.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Umph posted:

What about the Fire makes you want to switch? Just the Amazon CS?

Generally my problem is that the B&N software for the Nook Color is slow and just not very good, and while Cyanogenmod is outstanding it still can't make up for the fact that the Nook Color is fairly underpowered and has a mediocre touchscreen. If Amazon can actually make their OS perform well, that paired with a device with a better touchscreen and processor should make for a more ideal device.

Ironically, one of my other complaints about the NC is that the Kindle app runs like dogshit for some reason.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

trandorian posted:

That the Nook Touch's price is fine? You can hardly expect B&N to drop it to the price of the ad-supported one when they have no kind of ad-supported model already, Amazon can only afford them being that cheap by running the ads.

B&N will have to do something if they want to compete. You're crazy if you think Amazon offering essentially the same device for $40 less won't take a huge bite out of B&N's sales.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BN should be more worried about the $80 Kindle. Most customers won't give a crap about the touch screen and just want something to read stuff. At $80 it's almost an impulse purchase and they should have a product like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mu Zeta posted:

BN should be more worried about the $80 Kindle. Most customers won't give a crap about the touch screen and just want something to read stuff. At $80 it's almost an impulse purchase and they should have a product like that.

Agreed. From Amazon's perspective (and BN's), the Kindle is a storefront that happens to read books occasionally. From the consumer's perspective, it's a Christmas want list gadget and they'll buy the cheapest thing they can get their paws on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The mobipocket format is publicly known and has been disassembled, but that doesn't mean it's actually open (compare: Binary MSOffice formats prior to Office Open XML).

Actually, it is an open format. It's based on "Open eBook" format from 1999 and the primary changes were for the DRM system, as well as adding SQL database and javascript support for certain active content. You don't need to use those features to have a mobipocket file.

B&N will have to do something if they want to compete. You're crazy if you think Amazon offering essentially the same device for $40 less won't take a huge bite out of B&N's sales.

Dropping the Nook Touch's price to the AD SUPPORTED Kindle Touch price won't save them from the $80 "Kindle". And I'm pretty sure B&N would take a loss on every Nook Touch sold if they did drop the price to the Kindle Touch WITH ADS' price.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Lightslinger posted:

Keep in mind before replacing your existing reader that the new Kindles had their battery life estimated on 30/min a day, not 1/hour, so it's got half (or thereabouts) the battery life of the Kindle 3, while the touch ones have about the same.

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 30, 2011

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you have a Nook Color?

A Kindle

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Today's Kindle Daily Deal is Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a pretty good book for 99 cents, guys.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ChetReckless posted:

Today's Kindle Daily Deal is Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. It's a pretty good book for 99 cents, guys.

Yes, although, he self-rated it only a "C".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut#Self-assessment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I don't understand the need for a micro-SD slot. Is there really ever going to be a point where you are away from internet long enough to read 4 GB worth of text files?