Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/D%27harhan

Turbolaser face right here. RAD? From the Bounty Hunter Wars series. The best part about those novels is they detail the rescue of Boba Fett from the Sarlaac pit, but there is another cannon story of him escaping that thing by himself. So he apparently fell in there twice.

Oh, and while I'm posting from the Star Wars wiki, have this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wank

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm quite fond of this character
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bollux

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm quite fond of this character
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bollux

This is better than Jizz wailing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
KOTOR I and II were the only good prequels. Why must they ruin them, why.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Yes, but the very fact that he has to reassure them kind of negates the claim that the Neimoidians went along with Sidious' plan because they didn't have to fear repercussions from the Republic. I mean, Qui Gonn doesn't ever shut up about how they have to warn the Naboo and later the Republic about events on Naboo. This suggests to us that the Republic has some kind of way to stop the Neimoidians, standing army or no standing army. Of course we later find out that the Republic's way to stop the Neimoidians is to send back the same two guys they had send there before, but that is not what the movie makes us believe beforehand.

Actually, the Republic actually didn't even do that much to deal with the Nemoidians. The two jedi were only there to protect the Queen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

VanSandman posted:

KOTOR I and II were the only good prequels. Why must they ruin them, why.

No, gently caress that bullshit. In their way they're every bit as bad as the actual prequel trilogy movies.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

arioch posted:

No, gently caress that bullshit. In their way they're every bit as bad as the actual prequel trilogy movies.
How so?
I remember enjoying KOTOR, which isn't something I can say about the prequels.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Don't worry about that guy, every time KOTOR comes up he's gotta bash it. I, for one, love Pazaak. :colbert:

EDIT: and Bao-Dur's voice. "Malachooooor"

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 30, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Darth Nihilus was loving awesome, even though I didn't understand anything he said.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

I personally enjoy going through all that bullshit to help the undercity hobos on Taris find the promised land, only to have them and everybody else on the planet get killed as soon as I leave.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I will personally assassinate anybody who speaks ill of the game that introduced us to HK-47.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Carnaticum posted:

I will personally assassinate anybody who speaks ill of the game that introduced us to HK-47.

HK-47, while cool and original, laid the path for a million cliched and unfunny ripoffs over the past half decade.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

HK-47, while cool and original, laid the path for a million cliched and unfunny ripoffs over the past half decade.

Quiet Meatbag.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Statement: I suggest you run while my blasters charge.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I loved KOTOR from start to finish. KOTOR II was fun, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Part of that was the obvious rush job and subsequent subpar ending. Part of it was that despite the fun of sitting around fanwanking about different theories and "what ifs" about the Force, Sith, etc. (i.e., the Exile and "Gray Jedi"), they don't really feel like Star Wars on the screen.

I understand that as we age from children into man-children, we start to yearn for subtleties and relativism, but part of the magic of Star Wars is its commitment to a simpler good vs evil motif. The characters become larger, akin to mythic figures, embodying the best or worst in us.

Conversely, it may be easier to relate to heroes with feet of clay, but they lose that larger-than-life mystique. This suits some stories and films perfectly, but not Star Wars, in my opinion.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/

This is just for anybody interested: Scorchy did a Lets Play of KotOR 2 a while back, even covering alot of cut content and extrapolating/analysing the story. It will make you appreciate the game a whole lot more.

e: It is essentially Planescape: Torment in space with a few extra themes added.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bombadilillo posted:

Quiet Meatbag.

Corrective Statement: Prefix statements with conditional speech.

The Kotor series has its ups and downs, but it's still better than the prequals, because I actually care about what the characters are up to. I am interested in what is happening in the plot. I am engaging (and engaged) in the plot.

That's not to say that it has flawless gameplay (far from it), but it's still more enjoyable than the prequels and those sterile, bland and dull action scenes.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I can't believe how amazing the Falcon looks on the blue ray. It really goes to show how much work was put into making the sets and props for ESB.

I also noticed something kinda funny. When the two stormtroopers drop Han into the prison cell after he's been tortured, Han nearly knocks off one of the troopers helmet with his arm. The stormtrooper struts out of the room like nothing happened.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Conversely, it may be easier to relate to heroes with feet of clay, but they lose that larger-than-life mystique. This suits some stories and films perfectly, but not Star Wars, in my opinion.

That's true, but there's also genre discontinuities as well. KOTOR and most of the various Old-Republic-Era stuff tends to be fantasy in space. The Star Wars films are space opera, which is not the same thing.

This isn't to say that KOTOR isn't a great game, of course. It just follows the conventions of a different genre from the films.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mister_Eel posted:

I can't believe how amazing the Falcon looks on the blue ray. It really goes to show how much work was put into making the sets and props for ESB.

I also noticed something kinda funny. When the two stormtroopers drop Han into the prison cell after he's been tortured, Han nearly knocks off one of the troopers helmet with his arm. The stormtrooper struts out of the room like nothing happened.

ESB is the best looking out of all three OT on BluRay, it looks simply stunning for something that was filmed thirty years ago. Irvin Kershner supremacy :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

movax posted:

ESB is the best looking out of all three OT on BluRay, it looks simply stunning for something that was filmed thirty years ago. Irvin Kershner supremacy :colbert:

Watching ESB now and it does look amazing.

Complaint. Out of all the fixed/changed things, Luke running out of wampa cave still has the lightsaber deactivating sound. wtf?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Watching ESB now and it does look amazing.

Complaint. Out of all the fixed/changed things, Luke running out of wampa cave still has the lightsaber deactivating sound. wtf?

I noticed there's still quite a few scenes in space where you can plainly see the discoloration around ships from the special effects process. It's pretty jarring actually.

The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. Lucas goes through the hassle of making Jabba's door bigger, adding loving rocks, and a screaming Vader but he can't be bothered to do the things that would legitimately make the films look better.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Trying to put together a decent Jedi out fit for Halloween. Already have a good Robe and a lightsaber with a removable blade plus a pair of lace up moccasin style boots. Just need the tunic now. Was thinking maybe a cheap karate gi. Any other ideas? Maybe a flight suit?

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 1, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

Trying to put together a decent Jedi out fit for Halloween. Already have a good Robe and a lightsaber with a removable blade plus a pair of lace up moccasin style boots. Just need the tunic now. Was thinking maybe a cheap karate gi. Any other ideas?

Padawan rat-tail

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Chairman Capone posted:

Padawan rat-tail

Sadly I came to the realization I look like a balding dweeb with long hair and cut it all short a long time ago.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Darth Freddy posted:

Sadly I came to the realization I look like a balding dweeb with long hair and cut it all short a long time ago.

Keep your hair buzzed about an inch long and have someone shave the word "Jedi" into the back of your head on Halloween day.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm going to marathon the OT blu rays tonight with a friend and do a stupid changes drinking game. I'll try and keep a trip report of how it goes, if anybody is interested. I'm actually kind of concerned right now, because I know in a matter of minutes in episode IV I'll have R2-D2 behind rocks, Obi-Wan's call, dino bum and Han shooting last.

If I never post again, you'll know why. Spread my ashes over the Dune Seas of Tatooine. Don't let the Jawa's touch my stuff.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Carnaticum posted:

Just thought I'd chime in and say I'm going to marathon the OT blu rays tonight with a friend and do a stupid changes drinking game. I'll try and keep a trip report of how it goes, if anybody is interested. I'm actually kind of concerned right now, because I know in a matter of minutes in episode IV I'll have R2-D2 behind rocks, Obi-Wan's call, dino bum and Han shooting last.

If I never post again, you'll know why. Spread my ashes over the Dune Seas of Tatooine. Don't let the Jawa's touch my stuff.

Take drinks of beer. Anything stronger and you'll die of alcohol poisoning

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I always liked the drinking game where you shot whenever luke whines.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Name 10

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Name 10

Theres 10 before they leave Tattoine. From power converts to whats that flashing.

If you wanna get all literal about it, whining, complaining, moaning, all of the above.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 1, 2011

Atlas Telamon
Feb 20, 2009
You should try that drinking game with the PT. I assure you that you will die quite fast. Luke quits being a bitch a lot quicker than Anakin. Oh wait, Anakin is forever a bitch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bombadilillo posted:

I always liked the rule about taking a drink whenever Luke is upside-down for any reason, even momentarily.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Atlas Telamon posted:

You should try that drinking game with the PT. I assure you that you will die quite fast. Luke quits being a bitch a lot quicker than Anakin. Oh wait, Anakin is forever a bitch.

Oh man, with TPM!!! dangerous. I thought of the whining one watching ESB yesterday, when Luke is talking about the crew getting tortured and he wants to go say them. Legitimate complaints but Hamill just got to me during it.

I like that upside down one do x-wing maneuvers count? Of course using the death star as the horizon.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 1, 2011

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

If you are going to do maneuvers you have to count Hans little drifting to the left to try and lose those death stars.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So I finished A Secret History of Star Wars

Excellent book and I highly recommend it. I see everything in a new light now (especially ESB) There were a lot of cool little ideas and paths not taken.

Favorite off the top of my head. When I was little I devised THE strategy to defeat Darth Vader. I would use the force to flip all the switches on his chest, thus gaining me and opening to attack. Well, in an early draft for JEDI the Emperor actually does this. Sort of. In an effort to humanize Vader he was going meet with the Emperor, refuse an order to kill Luke and the Emperor would use the force to stop his suits breathing. Vader falls down suffocating an repledges himself to the Emperor. It got cut though because it made Vader a slave to the Emperor not the Dark Side, which while humanizing him just fine greatly lessens the impact of his redemption. He would not be coming back to the light side, just a disgruntled slave waiting for a chance to off him master.

Anyway I thought it was cool that yes, using the force to turn off Vaders suit is a viable strategy.

Edit: Grammer, Vader does not "meat" the Emperor, outside of some deviant art I'm sure.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
As much as I enjoy ROTJ, I think I'd really like to see that draft of it where the Emperor has Luke as a hostage and Vader sort of goes on a rescue mission to find him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TL posted:

As much as I enjoy ROTJ, I think I'd really like to see that draft of it where the Emperor has Luke as a hostage and Vader sort of goes on a rescue mission to find him.

In the Dark Lair on top of a Underground lava flow? Man reading about it in Secret History just came off as really cheesy to me. And Vader just bullrushes the emperor into the lava, Vader falling in to. Obi ghost explains "HE turned good!"

I dont know why the lava thing even exists...its so video game level its ridiculous.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 2, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I've always thought the emperor's death was sort of stupid, given his athleticism 19 years before.

The EU handwaved this by saying using the Dark Side Powers deteriorates your body, but Lucas has ruined that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mister Roboto posted:

I've always thought the emperor's death was sort of stupid, given his athleticism 19 years before.

The EU handwaved this by saying using the Dark Side Powers deteriorates your body, but Lucas has ruined that idea.

Umm aren't you looking at it backwards? In ROTJ we're presented with the idea that he IS a decrepit, evil old man. It wasn't until the PT that we learn he was at some point a super jedi ninja.

The EU said the dark side ruined his body way before the PT came out anyway. Given his physical appearance, it sorta makes sense.