Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Is it a Dell Ultrasharp? They have variable sync rates to match content creators' needs, and I think they default to 59.97 Hz, which 1) is listed as 59 Hz in the settings panel, and 2) isn't bad for watching movies and such, either, since it stops tearing artifacts when watching DVDs, BluRays, and other 29.97/NTSC-timed content.

I discovered it when I was mirroring BluRays across both my U2410 and an HDTV which had negotiated at 60 Hz. The TV had a tear line that traveled down the screen about once every thirty seconds, because the BluRay software was sync'ing to the U2410.

You can just switch it back to 60 Hz if it bothers you, but leaving it should work with VSync as you say.

On the same "odd refresh rate" note, my laptop's screen defaults to 50 Hz unless video starts playing, at which point it dynamically ramps up. It's an American-market laptop.

Yeah, it is a U3011. Thanks for the info though, that makes perfect sense. I think I'll keep it as is, and just beef up my videocard down the line so it can maintain >=59fps in my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Just cross-posting to say that Automatic Display Control utterly hosed my U2410.
I was using iProfiler that came with my i1 Display Pro, it messed with the brightness.. Buzz, buzz.. bang. I'm guessing that was an inverter being run out of spec.
Yay.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I want to start using my Apple LED Cinema Display to my 2008 Mac Pro, the problem is that my Mac Pro doesn't have a mini display port. What are my options? I'm guessing I could either upgrade the graphics card, or get some sort of converter box that will allow it to connect. But I'm guessing I'd need a graphics card to use the built in camera, correct?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

movax posted:

Nope, never used any of them though I imagine they carry quite a premium for being "portable". Where would you be using this normally? Would you setup with your MBP and portable display at a coffee shop or something? Do you really need a dedicated portable, "travel" monitor?

They clock in for around $200 or so if you're curious.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

On the bright side of this story, Dell didn't gently caress me about even for a second. They're sending a guy with a replacement U2410 out.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I want to buy a monitor because I'm getting tired of staring at a tiny laptop screen at home, however a friend warned me about how you apparently need a decent video card for bigger monitors so I'm checking to see if its true. My laptop has Radeon 5470 card, and I'm thinking of getting 22-24 inches monitor for mostly viewing movies, doing some programming and playing some old games.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

IMlemon posted:

I want to buy a monitor because I'm getting tired of staring at a tiny laptop screen at home, however a friend warned me about how you apparently need a decent video card for bigger monitors so I'm checking to see if its true. My laptop has Radeon 5470 card, and I'm thinking of getting 22-24 inches monitor for mostly viewing movies, doing some programming and playing some old games.

For movies and desktop stuff, it'll be fine. For games, it depends on the games and the resolution of the monitor (not screen size). But generally speaking that is not a good gaming card. It's hard to find hard benchmarks, but check out game performance for a Radeon 5450 and expect something similar (but worse).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2931

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

On the bright side of this story, Dell didn't gently caress me about even for a second. They're sending a guy with a replacement U2410 out.

That's awesome! So that calibrator literally murdered your hardware by abusing it over DDC?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

movax posted:

That's awesome! So that calibrator literally murdered your hardware by abusing it over DDC?

It seems like it. Although the monitor still seems to work - it's hard to explain why, but it doesn't seem as bright as before. Maybe it has multiple backlights? Odd.
It definitely went buzz.. pop! Which can't be a good sign.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

It seems like it. Although the monitor still seems to work - it's hard to explain why, but it doesn't seem as bright as before. Maybe it has multiple backlights? Odd.
It definitely went buzz.. pop! Which can't be a good sign.

I think your assumption was correct, the backlight got overstressed and an inrush of current likely destroyed some capacitors / part of the power converter. I hope you told Dell that someone makes products that will physically destroy their monitors with some 1s and 0s.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am building a new desktop PC, and after picking all the other parts, it's now time for the monitor.

At my office I use an iMac, and I have to say that the monitor has spoiled me. I use it side by side with a Philips 241E, and the difference in picture quality is apparent. The iMac image is sharp and live, while the Philips looks kinda faded. I usually keep crap like open folders on my Philips desktop, and keep important things I have to stare longer at on the iMac screen.

Is this big difference solely because the Philips 241E uses TN technology (I assume, it has 5ms response time) while the iMac uses IPS (as implied by the OP)? I should note here that the Philips is connected to the iMac using a VGA cable on a VGA to Mini Display Port adapter, in case most of the difference is due to this setup.

In any case, I don't want to buy a TN monitor and get stuck with the quality I see on my Philips screen. I don't do any graphical design work, I mostly play games (not competitively), surf the net, watch videos(720p until now, but obviously 1080p from now on), and read text.

I have kinda settled on the Dell U2412M. It's within my price range, and seems to meet my specifications. I can't find any specific mention of it, but I assume that it's refresh rate is at 60Hz? It will go side by side with a 560ti, but considering I was never too big on having THE BEST POSSIBLE GAMING EXPERIENCE, will I care about not having a 120Hz monitor? What about response time? I am reading things like 2 and 5ms for TN monitors, and they seem unnoticeably small. Plus, the U2412M with 8ms on gaming mode doesn't seem that much behind. By the way, does anyone know what the response time for this monitor is on normal mode, or it doesn't really matter?

Rexides fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 29, 2011

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I got some extra cash so I'm looking to switch from my CRT to a LCD for gaming. I have a dual monitor setup, however I only play on one screen. I'll be playing games such as TF2, so response time is a must.

Willing to spend $200-$250 on this, maybe up to $300. 20"-24" screen.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rexides posted:

I am building a new desktop PC, and after picking all the other parts, it's now time for the monitor.

At my office I use an iMac, and I have to say that the monitor has spoiled me. I use it side by side with a Philips 241E, and the difference in picture quality is apparent. The iMac image is sharp and live, while the Philips looks kinda faded. I usually keep crap like open folders on my Philips desktop, and keep important things I have to stare longer at on the iMac screen.

Is this big difference solely because the Philips 241E uses TN technology (I assume, it has 5ms response time) while the iMac uses IPS (as implied by the OP)? I should note here that the Philips is connected to the iMac using a VGA cable on a VGA to the Mini Display Port, in case most of the difference is due to this setup.

In any case, I don't want to buy a TN monitor and get stuck with the quality I see on my Philips screen. I don't do any graphical design work, I mostly play games (not competitively), surf the net, watch videos(720p until now, but obviously 1080p from now on), and read text.

I have kinda settled on the Dell U2412M. It's within my price range, and seems to meet my specifications. I can't find any specific mention of it, but I assume that it's refresh rate is at 60Hz? It will go side by side with a 560ti, but considering I was never too big on having THE BEST POSSIBLE GAMING EXPERIENCE, will I care about not having a 120Hz monitor? What about response time? I am reading things like 2 and 5ms for TN monitors, and they seem unnoticeably small. Plus, the U2412M with 8ms on gaming mode doesn't seem that much behind. By the way, does anyone know what the response time for this monitor is on normal mode, or it doesn't really matter?

A 560ti is plenty to drive a U2412. Odds are you will never notice anything bad about the response time/refresh rate/etc at all. The only thing that will seem different, comparing to an apple monitor, is the difference between a glossy screen and a matte/ anti glare screen. All Dell's Ultrasharps are matte screens with an anti-glare coating, so compared to glossy glass fronted LCDs, it's going to feel different. Any Ultrasharp is going to have superb color, but it's not going to seem as hyper-saturated as a glossy screen does. On the other hand, you won't be able to see your face reflected in the monitor, which is generally a good thing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rexides posted:

Yeah, it's refresh rate is 60Hz. It's biggest difference to your iMac will be as Gwaihir said, it is a matte, anti-glare coated screen compared to a glossy screen. The image will be highly color accurate and excellent, but placed side-by-side with an iMac, it'll look a little "dead". On the bright side (:downs:), there will be no glare on the screen.

Kuros posted:

I got some extra cash so I'm looking to switch from my CRT to a LCD for gaming. I have a dual monitor setup, however I only play on one screen. I'll be playing games such as TF2, so response time is a must.

Willing to spend $200-$250 on this, maybe up to $300. 20"-24" screen.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you feel like 60Hz would really be kneecapping you, you should look at one of the 120Hz models listed in the OP. Asus VG236HE is pretty legit.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

movax posted:

If you feel like 60Hz would really be kneecapping you, you should look at one of the 120Hz models listed in the OP. Asus VG236HE is pretty legit.

What about the VH238H or VW246H?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kuros posted:

What about the VH238H or VW246H?

They don't appear to be 120Hz monitors; perhaps you're confusing response time with refresh rate. At this point, response time is a useless metric to consumers because companies pull ever marketing trick in the book when it comes this number (By the way, is this not in the OP? If not, I need to add it.) This is a per-pixel metric that covers each pixel's response time in changing. Some manufacturers quote grey-to-grey to really report a low number.

Refresh rate is a carry over from the CRT days. A 75Hz CRT will refresh the screen 75 times a second; most LCDs today support a refresh rate of 60Hz. Obviously, the LCDs don't "refresh" in the same sense as a CRT, but this means most LCDs cap out at redrawing the image on the screen at a max of 60 times per second.

120Hz LCDs (not TVs) are capable of refreshing at 120Hz, meaning that you can take advantage of your GPU pushing greater than 60FPS. The downside is that currently 120Hz means you are usually stuck with a TN panel and all the flaws that come along with that. 120Hz TVs will only accept 60Hz content and interpolate that up to 120Hz, which is not what you want.

So as a twitch gamer, refresh rate is much more important to you than response time, and more important than either of these is input lag. Thankfully, input lag is not much of an issue in smaller LCDs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Question:

I've got two monitors side by side, one dvi-d and the other vga to my mobo. I'm just now noticing with at least one shade of color there's some weird diagonal like....banding on the VGA? It's hard to make out, but it's almost as if I'm seeing the effect most cameras see on monitors w/r/t refresh rate. Like it's not weird colors or anything, it's just like normal LCD colors that you'd see if you gently ran your fingers over the screen, and is sort of similar. Like little waves refreshing? What's going on? Interference? I'd take a camera shot but it's rather hard to see and I doubt it'd show up on a shot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Could be a bad VGA cable, or connection issues. That sounds like the type of junk you get with VGA connections that are flaking out. If you can, try swapping the inputs and plugging something digital in to that monitor instead.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Question:

I've got two monitors side by side, one dvi-d and the other vga to my mobo. I'm just now noticing with at least one shade of color there's some weird diagonal like....banding on the VGA? It's hard to make out, but it's almost as if I'm seeing the effect most cameras see on monitors w/r/t refresh rate. Like it's not weird colors or anything, it's just like normal LCD colors that you'd see if you gently ran your fingers over the screen, and is sort of similar. Like little waves refreshing? What's going on? Interference? I'd take a camera shot but it's rather hard to see and I doubt it'd show up on a shot.

VGA is analog, and higher resolutions really begin to push the limits of what it is capable of (~1080p is when poo poo starts to fall apart with bad cables). Swap to a better VGA cable, or find some way to feed both your displays digitally.

If you really want to confirm it's not the monitor (I don't think you're concerned about that) just hook it up via DVI/HDMI and see if the problem persists.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

movax posted:

VGA is analog, and higher resolutions really begin to push the limits of what it is capable of (~1080p is when poo poo starts to fall apart with bad cables). Swap to a better VGA cable, or find some way to feed both your displays digitally.

If you really want to confirm it's not the monitor (I don't think you're concerned about that) just hook it up via DVI/HDMI and see if the problem persists.

Well it's either the monitor or the cable because I switched what I was looking at to the other monitor on dvi and it's not showing up.

Neither of these have hdmi ports, though right now my ps3 is connected via hdmi->dvi to the monitor that was displaying the issue. It's also connected to my computer via vga. And it is actually in fact 1920x1080 on that monitor.

It's actually a vga cable with a little dvi adapter on it because my card doesn't have any vga ports :v:

I can't say I've noticed it on my ps3, so perhaps it's the cable.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

Goodpart posted:

The other problem is that a lot of monitors are very inconsistent. Some panels have varying lag, from anywhere between 0ms to about 25ms. That means that at any given point you could be bang on the mark, or up to 2 frames off. Very frustrating.
It's not possible for lag to vary like that. Most LCD monitors lag within 3 ms of an exact number of frames with no fluctuation. It's the testing methods that are flawed.

Goodpart posted:

I did some quick searching and found a benchmarking for the Viewsonic, which showed anywhere between 0-2 frames of lag. So I suspect that's out.
I wish people would stop using that lovely Flash-based FlatpanelsDK timer with clone mode. That timer is not guaranteed to update at any particular interval, and clone mode is not guaranteed to be synchronized. LCD monitors also refresh from top to bottom like a CRT, but you can't see where the LCD is refreshing with a single timer. The sample and hold nature of LCD monitors also makes the numbers jumble together, making it hard to see the new number coming in. All of those problems combined produce wildly fluctuating results. That ViewSonic would probably show no more than 3 ms of lag when tested properly.

Rexides posted:

What about response time? I am reading things like 2 and 5ms for TN monitors, and they seem unnoticeably small. Plus, the U2412M with 8ms on gaming mode doesn't seem that much behind. By the way, does anyone know what the response time for this monitor is on normal mode, or it doesn't really matter?
Game mode doesn't do anything special on most monitors. The U2410 is the only exception I know about, where it gets rid of the one frame lag. The U2412M doesn't have any significant lag, and response times shouldn't be an issue.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Oh Dell..
I thought maybe I'd get a refurb, but no. Brand new in the box, sealed with every original accessory, U2410, made August 2011. Revision A08! I didn't even know there was a newer revision than my A05. Goddamn.

One happy customer.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Do they make 20 inch monitors in 1680x1050 anymore? My aging viewsonic is on death's door and I want something to match my 2nd monitor in size and resolution (20inch 1680x1050). All I can find in 1680x1050 is 22 inch models and having to stretch that res from 20-22 inch is loving lovely.

Edit: After searching around I've answered my own question. What the gently caress is this world coming to?

a dingus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 30, 2011

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Smeed posted:

Do they make 20 inch monitors in 1680x1050 anymore? My aging viewsonic is on death's door and I want something to match my 2nd monitor in size and resolution (20inch 1680x1050). All I can find in 1680x1050 is 22 inch models and having to stretch that res from 20-22 inch is loving lovely.

Edit: After searching around I've answered my own question. What the gently caress is this world coming to?

http://widetelevisions.com/0558844744876_Ultra-sharp%202009W.php
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CGkQ8wIwAw

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

HalloKitty posted:

Oh Dell..
I thought maybe I'd get a refurb, but no. Brand new in the box, sealed with every original accessory, U2410, made August 2011. Revision A08! I didn't even know there was a newer revision than my A05. Goddamn.

One happy customer.

One thing I have to say about Dell's professional products, their customer service is absolutely fantastic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Any particular thoughts on the Asus VH238H? The price I've seen is incredible, and reviews seem fairly positive. I'd likely be using it for games, or general purpose.

I'm also strongly debating buying a second one. My current monitor (Syncmaster 2333sw) is fine, but it may take some books to level them.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

Oh Dell..

One happy customer.

Did you buy directly through Dell or another party? Looking to buy a U2410 (or U2412 need to read up on the differences a little more) and that customer service sounds enticing.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Redchaostry posted:

Did you buy directly through Dell or another party? Looking to buy a U2410 (or U2412 need to read up on the differences a little more) and that customer service sounds enticing.

Get the U2412M if you don't care about having component video and a few extra digital inputs. Or get the U2410 if you can find it on close-out sale I guess.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Redchaostry posted:

I actually bought it through a third party! But the company was registered as a Dell partner, and they explicitly stated it came with the original Dell 3 year warranty and the premium panel (0 bright pixel) guarantee, so definitely check that before you buy.

I called Dell directly for the warranty, of course. Keep the box if you do get one, because the Dell order number on the box as well as the serial number is what they need to give you the fastest service, as the monitors don't have service tags on (which throws you off if you're trying to check the warranty on the website. Don't be put off, call support with the order number and serial number).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 1, 2011

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for the responses. Ok, I will try to keep an eye out for a sale on the U2410, otherwise I will grab the U2412M. It mainly depends on how long my Gateway FDP2485W lasts. Hopefully my next LCD monitor experience is better than this one as I hope LCD monitors are suppose to last longer than one year before problems start. And at four years this monitor is very near end of life.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Redchaostry posted:

Thanks for the responses. Ok, I will try to keep an eye out for a sale on the U2410, otherwise I will grab the U2412M. It mainly depends on how long my Gateway FDP2485W lasts. Hopefully my next LCD monitor experience is better than this one as I hope LCD monitors are suppose to last longer than one year before problems start. And at four years this monitor is very near end of life.

My parents have one of those, the backlight is very finnicky. Not a fan of Gateway displays anymore, though I heard the XHD3000 was halfway decent. It even sports a Faroudja scaler chip built into it, last I checked.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

movax posted:

My parents have one of those, the backlight is very finnicky. Not a fan of Gateway displays anymore, though I heard the XHD3000 was halfway decent. It even sports a Faroudja scaler chip built into it, last I checked.

After about 9 months it started having columns of pixels (about 3" in on both sides) stuck on different colors or appear dead until the monitor warmed up for around 20 minutes. Now if it goes cold at all its unusable for the first 20 minutes due to any rapid image change (including fast mouse movement) causes the screen to flash/shudder or just go completely blank.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Using the U2412M right now, and it is exactly as people described it in this thread. No glare at all, great picture quality, and when I tried WoW with it, I had no problems with either the 60 fps cap or the 8ms response time (completely unnoticeable, as I expected).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Anyone have a suggestion for articulated monitor arms? I have a dual monitor setup and my seating situation has changed such that I need the monitors to be essentially off the back edge of the desk. The arms all look the same to me, and I was wondering if there is a brand or model that is noticeably better in quality and/or value.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Che Delilas posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for articulated monitor arms? I have a dual monitor setup and my seating situation has changed such that I need the monitors to be essentially off the back edge of the desk. The arms all look the same to me, and I was wondering if there is a brand or model that is noticeably better in quality and/or value.

Ergotron is pretty much synonymous with "articulated monitor arm". I have an LX that should just hold my U2410 (can't wait for my desk to arrive so I can set it up :pervert:), but there's an MX model that holds more weight. They also have kits to stick two monitors on LX mounts to one desk attachment, but I wouldn't play with that unless you were going to bolt the thing on.

Loztblaz
Sep 8, 2004
1-14-04, Never Forget.

Che Delilas posted:

Seconding the Ergotron suggestion. They're not cheap, but I've been using two Ergotron LXs for the last 4 years and they've been totally solid.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I'm hoping to buy this monitor here because it's the cheapest place I can find:

http://www.ebuyer.com/240824-lg-w2363d-pf-lcd-tft-23-3d-ready-hdmi-monitor-w2363d-pf

But for some reason it's listed as having 5ms response time, despite the same model being listed here at amazon as 3ms http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2363D-PF-23-Monitor/dp/B004DD9AZ6 It also seems to be listed in reviews as being 3ms. How likely is it that ebuyer has just made a typo? Or am I going to end up with a lovely version of the monitor if I order from there? :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Since response time is almost entirely marketing fluff that is reported many different ways, and that will never ever notice in practice, I wouldn't worry about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

a pwn cocktail posted:

I'm hoping to buy this monitor here because it's the cheapest place I can find:

http://www.ebuyer.com/240824-lg-w2363d-pf-lcd-tft-23-3d-ready-hdmi-monitor-w2363d-pf

But for some reason it's listed as having 5ms response time, despite the same model being listed here at amazon as 3ms http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2363D-PF-23-Monitor/dp/B004DD9AZ6 It also seems to be listed in reviews as being 3ms. How likely is it that ebuyer has just made a typo? Or am I going to end up with a lovely version of the monitor if I order from there? :(

Response time has been beaten into the ground as an essentially useless metric at this point. More useful is googling for reviewers' impressions of input lag, if any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Well, I'm going to get the VG236HE, now to find a good deal on it.