Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
In Grand Bazaar, how long does it take to marry someone, if you talk to them everyday and give gifts, say, 4 or 5 days a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp
Quick question about RF3.. can you change the equipment your allies have? Do you gift it to them, or do they just gain new gear based on their level?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xenoith posted:

Quick question about RF3.. can you change the equipment your allies have? Do you gift it to them, or do they just gain new gear based on their level?

You gift it to them, one weapon and one accessory each and any new one overrides the old ones. I learned that when I accidently chucked a pin to Gaius as a gift and he started using it over the leather belt I gave him People also only use certain types of weapons so check what they have equipped and give them updated versions or they just take it as a generic gift.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Thank you Natsume for managing to screw up my address and thereby get my package delayed. At least the alpaca is pretty much cute enough to make up for it. :3:

I'm not having too much trouble finding enough things to do during the day in TToTT. I think that's mostly because I'm trying to woo both Kana and Cam so half my day is spent running back and forth across the mountain. I thought the bachelors were a little bland too but then I went to the Cherry Blossom festival and everyone recounted how Kana got so drunk at the last festival that he hopped on his horse and bolted into the mountains. Hiro had to go find him and drag him back into town.

This is a stupid question but how do I clear the tunnel? No one has said anything about it other than the Harvest Goddess telling me to win the cooking festivals. I don't think cooking is going to clear rocks but maybe I'm wrong?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Night Gaunt posted:

This is a stupid question but how do I clear the tunnel? No one has said anything about it other than the Harvest Goddess telling me to win the cooking festivals. I don't think cooking is going to clear rocks but maybe I'm wrong?

After each cooking festival, the mayors' friendliness meter goes up. When it gets to a certain point, the Harvest Goddess will imbue the carpenter girl with her power. She will put a request on the board for materials and then she clears a portion of the tunnel. Not sure how many times this takes. I have cleared 2 portions so far and I think the next one might be the last because my mayors are almost at 10 hearts.

I am really enjoying the game. The only thing I don't like is that you can only upgrade once a season. It really slows down the pace, which I guess is the point. But I have a whole lot of money and nothing to spend it on right now.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Julet Esqu posted:

Whaaat?? The soup competition this Summer snuck up on me, so I didn't have any combination of ingredients that day that would turn into soup when thrown in a pot. I decided to see if I could poison Pierre instead.

I attempted to submit a rock, a branch, a bug, and even a failed dish, but the stupid mayor wouldn't accept any of it.

For the following entree competition I thought I had it all sewed up. I made an omelet, and with pretty good milk and egg, too. But I didn't notice that my oil had gotten old and was rotten which degraded the freshness of my dish as well and the stupid mayor wouldn't accept it. I threw it in his face before going in to watch the competition, where TWO people from my town had submitted failed dishes.

All this and it turns out the mayor doesn't even check whether you made the dish yourself?

Hey, Mr. Mayor... :fuckoff:

The weird thing is that in Grand Bazaar (which is pretty much the same system as this game) they did check to see if you made the dish in any of the cooking competitions. Which means it's probably just an oversight in this game.

But yeah, unless I can squeeze in a dish that's made with my high milk or eggs I just submit a premade dish now. Since the competition is a team effort is really is random if you win or not. I've submitted heart dishes that got screwed over by a failed dish on my team, and I've seen three okays/mehs beat out the other team's "Good!" "I love it!" "Yum!"

On that note: Does upping the stars on your crops matter outside of raising the price? Because right now it really doesn't seem worth it outside of maybe winning the best crop contest in the crop town.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Wandering Knitter posted:

On that note: Does upping the stars on your crops matter outside of raising the price? Because right now it really doesn't seem worth it outside of maybe winning the best crop contest in the crop town.

Winning the crop contest and maxing out the stars on a cooked dish using that item is about it.

I have been trying to replicate that spiral irrigation trench I saw on Fogu for watering purposes but I have failed at it so far. Has anyone else been able to do it?

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt

I Watson posted:

I have been trying to replicate that spiral irrigation trench I saw on Fogu for watering purposes but I have failed at it so far. Has anyone else been able to do it?

Very carefully. Make sure you're at full stamina, because the tired animation will interrupt you and gently caress you over. You can dig down after doing a row and stuff, just got to get the timing down. It helps to hold down the direction of where you want to go next as you're tilling the current tile, and make sure you don't hit A too quickly.

I'm a trenchin' pro, now. :smug:

Night Gaunt posted:

Fru Fru posted:

After each cooking festival, the mayors' friendliness meter goes up. When it gets to a certain point, the Harvest Goddess will imbue the carpenter girl with her power. She will put a request on the board for materials and then she clears a portion of the tunnel. Not sure how many times this takes. I have cleared 2 portions so far and I think the next one might be the last because my mayors are almost at 10 hearts.

If you care about expanding your farm early, you'll want to just watch the festivals, not participate in them. Tunnel expansions WILL override home expansions, and there are quite a few. More than three, at least. I was only able to get one field expansion before they started dumping a whole bunch of tunnel expansions on me, one month at a time, and the mayors were almost at ten hearts, so they were going to keep coming for a while. It was one of the reasons I just restarted the game.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

DuckPuncher posted:

If you care about expanding your farm early, you'll want to just watch the festivals, not participate in them. Tunnel expansions WILL override home expansions, and there are quite a few. More than three, at least. I was only able to get one field expansion before they started dumping a whole bunch of tunnel expansions on me, one month at a time, and the mayors were almost at ten hearts, so they were going to keep coming for a while. It was one of the reasons I just restarted the game.

Yeah, I noticed that this season when I didn't get the upgrade option. I don't really mind since the tunnel needs to be done eventually and at least I got one beehive before the tunnel craze started.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

DuckPuncher posted:

Very carefully. Make sure you're at full stamina, because the tired animation will interrupt you and gently caress you over. You can dig down after doing a row and stuff, just got to get the timing down. It helps to hold down the direction of where you want to go next as you're tilling the current tile, and make sure you don't hit A too quickly.

I'm a trenchin' pro, now. :smug:

I'll give it another shot then, thanks for the advice. I think my problem is mashing A too many times too quickly.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

I Watson posted:

I'll give it another shot then, thanks for the advice. I think my problem is mashing A too many times too quickly.

This is actually how I do it. Mash A and hold a direction. If you need to change direction, wait til you swing the hoe, then hold that direction instead. Takes some practice to get used to.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
So uh, stupid question: I'm halfway through my first summer and I don't know how to eat things. How do I eat? (Manual says: eat things for stamina! Doesn't say how.)

It's kind of obscene how much money you can make from fishing and growing flowers. Pull out three fish fossils a night, water plants by day...I'm some kind of fishing superhero.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Which game are you talking about?
If you're playing Tale of Two Towns then you go to the menu and drag a food item on to your character to eat. In fact, it's the default option when you move your cursor to the right side of the screen which has caused me to lose a lot of my dishes for the cooking festival because I accidentally ate it instead of putting it in my hands.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It's a lot easier when you get the level 2 hoe. You can extend the trench at any time by just charging it to 2 squares with the first square being an end point on your trench and the second being the space you want to extend the trench to.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Amazon has put the PS3 version of Tides of Destiny back up on their site, with a release date of October 11.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Zettace posted:

Which game are you talking about?
If you're playing Tale of Two Towns then you go to the menu and drag a food item on to your character to eat. In fact, it's the default option when you move your cursor to the right side of the screen which has caused me to lose a lot of my dishes for the cooking festival because I accidentally ate it instead of putting it in my hands.

Whoops, I meant Tale of Two Towns. Sorry! I guess foraged items (apricots, even?) don't count as food?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

nonnemaus posted:

Whoops, I meant Tale of Two Towns. Sorry! I guess foraged items (apricots, even?) don't count as food?

Pretty sure you can eat apricots and other foraged stuff. I just ate a plum with no problems.

Go to your inventory (X button) and select a food. Hit A and it will move to the right side of the screen where your character is. It will automatically go to the eat option and your character will have a little speech bubble that says "Eat". Hit A again to eat.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

Pretty sure you can eat apricots and other foraged stuff. I just ate a plum with no problems.

Go to your inventory (X button) and select a food. Hit A and it will move to the right side of the screen where your character is. It will automatically go to the eat option and your character will have a little speech bubble that says "Eat". Hit A again to eat.

Just ate a mint. I'd been trying to eat things with the stylus. I feel dumb now :downs:

Interesting little almost glitchy things that have happened so far:
- Cat got stuck on Konohana farm jumping on the fence repeatedly trying to get my chicken to take it inside. I picked it up and threw it over the fence, problem solved.
- Invisible bear: a bear spawned inside the log on the mountain next to Bluebell by the hand fishing area. I was running through and heard a bear roar from nowhere and nearly shat myself.

I'm enjoying this game. Another kind of stupid question: there's the dumb little story in the town hall about befriending boars on the mountain. What offerings would please invisibear so that he will not attack me inside his log? Bears don't seem to like honey, which I find counterintuitive. I think I also tried to give bread to ducks and they gave no shits. I want to be friends with the little woodland animals :( Help me, goons!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I Watson posted:

If you mess up just hammer the spot you messed up at and start again by using the hoe on the last square of your trench. You can extend existing trenches, you just can't connect two, I think.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

nonnemaus posted:

Help me, goons!

I don't have it, so I can't be of direct help, but check here: http://www.fogu.com/hm10/index.php

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't understand why they made cooking so worthless. Now the only time you ever cook is for the cooking competitions and for gifts.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Befriending the animals seems pretty pointless. I know the panda likes bamboo shoots though.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you mess up just hammer the spot you messed up at and start again by using the hoe on the last square of your trench. You can extend existing trenches, you just can't connect two, I think.

Yes I know about corrections but you can't extend it once you screw it up.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't understand why they made cooking so worthless. Now the only time you ever cook is for the cooking competitions and for gifts.

I seriously think nearly every Harvest Moon game is made in a complete vacuum at the same time as two or three other Harvest Moon titles. Also, each aspect of each game is also created in a vacuum. It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for how each game manages to create at least one good new mechanic and somehow not have several other good mechanics produced by HMs released before it. It also explains how some game mechanics just don't make any sense when compared to other game mechanics in the same game.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp
Is there any way to make crops out of season in RF3? I'm on like Summer 23rd and for the unity festival I need to make a fall crop(I bought the Spring ones.) I guess I just have to wait? I'm probably beating this game too fast, I'll have everything done by Fall.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zenzirouj posted:

I seriously think nearly every Harvest Moon game is made in a complete vacuum at the same time as two or three other Harvest Moon titles. Also, each aspect of each game is also created in a vacuum. It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for how each game manages to create at least one good new mechanic and somehow not have several other good mechanics produced by HMs released before it. It also explains how some game mechanics just don't make any sense when compared to other game mechanics in the same game.

I don't think I can ever play another HM again if it doesn't include RF3's multiple pickup mechanic. The only improvement they can make on that is if they make targeting prioritize things that are already in your hand, to fix the "I'm trying to harvest a billion crops and it's locking onto a bag of seeds a mile away" problem. It really doesn't make any sense that every HM game until the end of time wouldn't at least directly copy that feature.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Xenoith posted:

Is there any way to make crops out of season in RF3? I'm on like Summer 23rd and for the unity festival I need to make a fall crop(I bought the Spring ones.) I guess I just have to wait? I'm probably beating this game too fast, I'll have everything done by Fall.

Plant it in the corresponding dungeon. Which for fall is oddward valley I think. There's a patch of dirt right past the first little save point.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

Jimmybob posted:

Plant it in the corresponding dungeon. Which for fall is oddward valley I think. There's a patch of dirt right past the first little save point.

Holy poo poo, what! Is this ever mentioned in the game? Thank you. I always wondered why wood wasn't respawning there, now I know. Also, how do you get new levels on those special dungeons in your house?

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I don't have it, so I can't be of direct help, but check here: http://www.fogu.com/hm10/index.php

Yeah, they haven't completed the guide yet. I like how they always finish the bachelor/bachelorette sections first. Priorities, priorities :rolleyes:

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Xenoith posted:

Holy poo poo, what! Is this ever mentioned in the game?

It's not, and the game is kind of deceptive about it, because you start in Spring and the first dungeon is the Spring dungeon. So it's entirely possible not to notice until you go to say hi to Daria in the winter and there's no snow around her house.

Xenoith
Aug 30, 2011

by Ralp

ThemeMusicC posted:

It's not, and the game is kind of deceptive about it, because you start in Spring and the first dungeon is the Spring dungeon. So it's entirely possible not to notice until you go to say hi to Daria in the winter and there's no snow around her house.

Yeah, I just always thought they were items you could scavenge like old Harvest Moon games in the wilderness. I dunno why it didn't click that they were able to be farmed.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Xenoith posted:

Yeah, I just always thought they were items you could scavenge like old Harvest Moon games in the wilderness. I dunno why it didn't click that they were able to be farmed.

RF2 beats your head in with the concept, you had to grow specific crops in the dungeon fields to open doors. In RF3 you can just hand up the finished product.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

I Watson posted:

RF2 beats your head in with the concept, you had to grow specific crops in the dungeon fields to open doors. In RF3 you can just hand up the finished product.

...That makes me really happy I skipped 2 and only played 1 and 3, because my biggest pet peeve in 1 was waiting for winter for the second or third dungeon while you're in the second week of the game. I if Tides doesn't contain anything like that, and I'll probably be content with the purchase if it's half as good as 3 was.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

gently caress the haters I married this guy every time I played Harvest Moon Girl version. :colbert:
Hell yeah, me too! :hfive:

I hate it when the game only lets you marry bishies. I always go for the Griffin or the Calvin if I can.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of RF, anyone tried the Japanese version of Tides? How does it compare to RF3 (obviously aside the graphics)? A step up? Same good? Or did they break something they shouldn't?

I think this was lost in the last page, or am I to believe none of you HM fanatics tried the JP version of Tides yet? I need to know if I should be hyped for this game or not :ohdear:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, I'm curious too. Especially since I have to import it.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!
I haven't played RF:Oceans, but I've read that it has far less emphasis on farming (Apparently your animals/monsters do the planting and such while you're out), while there's a lot more emphasis on exploring and dungeon crawling with a more fleshed-out storyline. Cooking, crafting, etc. is still all there, as is dating and marriage.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Hartseeker posted:

I haven't played RF:Oceans, but I've read that it has far less emphasis on farming (Apparently your animals/monsters do the planting and such while you're out), while there's a lot more emphasis on exploring and dungeon crawling with a more fleshed-out storyline. Cooking, crafting, etc. is still all there, as is dating and marriage.

Even more than RF:F and RF3? in RF:F and RF2 you could already autofarm with monsters.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So in TToTT... if you leave your dog bone/cat bell on the ground are they supposed to dissappear? they never did that in previous games. :qq:

I may restart because of this, mostly cause it's just only halfway past the first spring and I may want to start off in Konohana this time. I know in Bluebell having a free cow and chicken right off the bat was amazing for startup money, do they set you up similarly in Konohana?

edit: vvv Awesome, restarting it is then!

eggrolled fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
In Konohana, you get some some free seeds and nine-ish fully grown and ready to ship turnips.

• Locked thread