Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It turns out Educating Essex is fantastic. I don't even like documentaries, but it's really powerful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Laughed my rear end off at outnumbered. Don't even feel guilty.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Charlie Brooker was on would I lie to you tonight, it has to be seen to be believed.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Stalingrad posted:

Charlie Brooker was on would I lie to you tonight, it has to be seen to be believed.

Yeah, Charlie didn't come off too well to be honest. The very RP sounding chap did not like him at all.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I got all excited to see it and rushed to download it. I honestly don't know what you're referring to, it was a fairly standard episode. The episode revolved around Lee Mack a lot more than Charlie Brooker. Nigel Havers wasn't being serious for the five seconds he was having a go, he was participating in a comedy panel show.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
loving hell, when that Sam kid started crying on Educating Essex it made ME cry, it was just heartbreaking.

Which means I'm going to be a loving terrible secondary school teacher when I start on Monday :/

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm so ready for a new screen/games/newswipe it's hurting me.

Does anybody know if Brooker is planning anything? His more mainstream shows were good but not entirely as satisfying.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

AtomD posted:

I'm so ready for a new screen/games/newswipe it's hurting me.

Does anybody know if Brooker is planning anything? His more mainstream shows were good but not entirely as satisfying.

He's shooting a three episode miniseries for Channel 4 which he's said is going to be like the something like the Twilight Zone taking on Social Networking.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

A5H posted:

Laughed my rear end off at outnumbered. Don't even feel guilty.

I thought it was a great episode in what has been a sub-par series (though it's still better than most other shows). I really enjoy Auntie Angela, I'm glad they don't over-use her so when she's on the show she really shines.

I hope everyone else managed to catch it, I only noticed it'd changed time slots when browsing the TV Times. Turns out written TV listings do have some limited use.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

A5H posted:

So did anyone see this on the news yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqN3amj6AcE&feature=player_embedded
Jesus Christ. Who is that guy? And won't he have now lost his job??

He claims that he's not a hoaxer but he's not really a trader either, he's just some idiot that the BBC selected at random to appear on telly as a "financial expert".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8792829/BBC-financial-expert-Alessio-Rastani-Im-an-attention-seeker-not-a-trader.html

Telegraph posted:

Mr Rastani works and lives with his partner Anita Eader in a £200,000 semi in Bexleyheath, south London. The house, complete with a mortgage from Royal Bank of Scotland, belongs to her not him.

He is a business owner, a 99pc shareholder in public speaking venture Santoro Projects. Its most recent accounts show cash in the bank of £985. After four years trading net assets are £10,048 - in the red.

How a man who has never been authorised by the Financial Services Authority and has no discernible history working for a City institution ended up being interviewed by the BBC remains a mystery.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

He's shooting a three episode miniseries for Channel 4 which he's said is going to be like the something like the Twilight Zone taking on Social Networking.

As in a drama?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junkenstein posted:

As in a drama?

I won't complain if it is. I'd love another Dead Set :allears:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Absolutely.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

cloudchamber posted:

He's also doing one called "A Touch of Cloth" which is supposed to be a sendup of ITV police/detective dramas, though I guess that won't come until much later.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Idioteque Dance posted:

He's also doing one called "A Touch of Cloth" which is supposed to be a sendup of ITV police/detective dramas, though I guess that won't come until much later.

This sounds amazing.

Just watched about 6 solid hours of snog, marry, avoid? on youtube, I feel a bit sick and ashamed now.

Wormophile fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 30, 2011

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I read Endgame earlier today and couldn't stop picturing Clov and Hamm as being the old man and Tea Leaf from Psychoville.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wormophile posted:

Just watched about 6 solid hours of snog, marry, avoid? on youtube, I feel a bit sick and ashamed now.

You should only feel ashamed if you are one of the people on the show.

Sadly none of them are even capable of shame.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wormophile posted:

I hate Snog, Marry, Avoid cause it mocks other people for their style. So what if some girl wants to dress like a goth or a Barbie doll? As long as they rock that look why should we care?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Hoops posted:

I got all excited to see it and rushed to download it. I honestly don't know what you're referring to, it was a fairly standard episode. The episode revolved around Lee Mack a lot more than Charlie Brooker. Nigel Havers wasn't being serious for the five seconds he was having a go, he was participating in a comedy panel show.
Compared to the time he revealed he'd lied to girlfriend for years about being deaf in one ear....

His radio show 'So wrong it's right' also returned this week. Not only that, but it included as guests David Mitchell and Mrs David Mitchell.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 30, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

His radio show 'So wrong it's right' also returned this week. Not only that, but it included as guests David Mitchell and Mrs David Mitchell.

Repeats, though.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Rarity posted:

I hate Snog, Marry, Avoid cause it mocks other people for their style. So what if some girl wants to dress like a goth or a Barbie doll? As long as they rock that look why should we care?

And the hypocrisy of POD! Often when a cybergoth/raver/geishapunk/general alternative dresser comes on pod will declare that they are expressing themselves with their look and will decide not to Make Them Under, whereas if you are deemed A Proper Slag you are not expressing yourself you are merely slagging it up like a right trollop and need to be wiped down ASAP.

Also the idea that by taking away the fake tan and hair extensions and making them look "right" they have transformed this scrubber into a wonderful new person. gently caress OFF. They are still either a self obsessed, moronic dickhead (or a quite nice person as the case may be) you haven't changed them at all you loving cunts. You've just made them less visually offensive to your production team and the judgemental arseholes you ask on the street. AND ALSO sometimes I think they actually look alright to begin with! (ok usually they do look retarded fair play POD)

But still I love that lovely show, I do feel guilty straight after watching it though. It's like the televisual equivalent of a wank.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rarity posted:

Hunter S Thompson wouldn't listen to a sarcastic robot mocking his style of life, why should anyone?

gently caress that program.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Compared to the time he revealed he'd lied to girlfriend for years about being deaf in one ear....

Wait, are David Mitchell and Victoria Coren a thing or is that just what you call Rufus Hound?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wait, are David Mitchell and Victoria Coren a thing or is that just what you call Rufus Hound?

They are not officially a thing but pretty much everyone thinks they are a thing so they probably are a thing. Lucky chap.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yep according to the internet anyway. My other intel comes from my mate who saw them in oxford together looking "like romantic and stuff".

edit: anyone else watching Strictly tonight or am I just sad?

Wormophile fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 30, 2011

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Charlie Brooker looks a lot thinner than the last time I saw him, which was admittedly awhile ago. Almost startlingly so.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wormophile posted:

And the hypocrisy of POD! Often when a cybergoth/raver/geishapunk/general alternative dresser comes on pod will declare that they are expressing themselves with their look and will decide not to Make Them Under, whereas if you are deemed A Proper Slag you are not expressing yourself you are merely slagging it up like a right trollop and need to be wiped down ASAP.

It's awful, but I've always wondered if that "you're expressing yourself so we'll skip it" thing means "this person is either physically hopeless or just outright opposed to making any changes, so we're not even going to try, but we might as well use them for filler since they showed up to the casting". There's no good reason why Scotland's Number One Male Barbie Doll (I'm not being mean, that's what he called himself) had to change, but the one with the green hair and gasmask like a rejected villain concept from Captain Planet didn't.

As for whether the show is morally questionable, these people surely know what they're in for when they agree to be on it, and have to sign a bunch of forms to that end. It's not like the BBC pressgangs people into going on the show to be made fun of, or lures them in like To Catch A Predator, or just picks random photos off the net to make fun of like a bunch of threads and articles here have done.

(This is also why I believe most if not all of Jeremy Kyle to be fake. It just makes no sense to me that anyone would go on TV for this sort of "help". It's not about help, it's just about giving retired Daily Mail readers with nothing better to do in the mornings something to point and jeer at)

As far as trashy BBC3 TV goes, Don't Tell The Bride is still the best. The last one was a Pride and Prejudice-themed wedding, and actually quite good compared to some of the efforts. That groom was pretty much on top of things from the start, though. I always wonder if the BBC give a bit of help to some of the more hopeless grooms, since I'm pretty convinced that some of them have basically no idea that things like dress-fitting services exist, but somehow the thing fits when they get to the day.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 30, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

As far as trashy BBC3 TV goes, Don't Tell The Bride is still the best. The last one was a Pride and Prejudice-themed wedding, and actually quite good compared to some of the efforts. That groom was pretty much on top of things from the start, though. I always wonder if the BBC give a bit of help to some of the more hopeless grooms, since I'm pretty convinced that some of them have basically no idea that things like dress-fitting services exist, but somehow the thing fits when they get to the day.

The all time best Don't Tell The Bride episode was the one filmed just down the road from me in Kirkintilloch, which is a depressed grey ex-mining town just outside of Glasgow.

The hapless groom forced his glam bride to have the reception in the local Miners Welfare Social Club, which is the single grimmest place on earth, blew £500 of the budget on cat-decorated toilet seats, had a wedding cake made in the shape of her nose (her most hated feature) and to crown it all, made the poor lassie skydive to the church. Her hair and makeup took 3 hours to do and were utterly destroyed in seconds.

It was amazing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ChuckDHead posted:

(This is also why I believe most if not all of Jeremy Kyle to be fake. It just makes no sense to me that anyone would go on TV for this sort of "help". It's not about help, it's just about giving retired Daily Mail readers with nothing better to do in the mornings something to point and jeer at)

I've always assumed that it's real but they get paid. Also, the majority of Jeremy Kyle guests are monumentally stupid so it doesn't necessarily have to make sense for them to do it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Irisi posted:

The all time best Don't Tell The Bride episode was the one filmed just down the road from me in Kirkintilloch, which is a depressed grey ex-mining town just outside of Glasgow.

The hapless groom forced his glam bride to have the reception in the local Miners Welfare Social Club, which is the single grimmest place on earth, blew £500 of the budget on cat-decorated toilet seats, had a wedding cake made in the shape of her nose (her most hated feature) and to crown it all, made the poor lassie skydive to the church. Her hair and makeup took 3 hours to do and were utterly destroyed in seconds.

It was amazing.

That's glorious. I only caught half of one episode. Not quite sure what he spent the money on, but it was so shockingly gormless and uncaring that the bride cancelled the wedding. I felt really bad for her, but it's satisfying to see someone's stupidity getting punished.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Never mind the Jeremy Kyle guests, what I want to know is who the gently caress goes on to Embarrassing Bodies?? It takes a very special kind of person to not go to their local GP but to instead go on channel 4 and show the entire nation their anal polyps or mental vagina :psyduck:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
There's been a couple of news articles about people who go on Jeremy Kyle, the most recent one I remember is from the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/apr/22/life-after-jeremy-kyle-treatment

But really it's just stupid people who want to be on TV I think. Some people see him as a kind of all powerful arbitrator and that lie detector tests are infallible.

God only knows with the Embarassing Bodies people, but at least they might be helping someone who has a similar problem and is too embarassed to get it checked.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

ChuckDHead posted:

(This is also why I believe most if not all of Jeremy Kyle to be fake. It just makes no sense to me that anyone would go on TV for this sort of "help". It's not about help, it's just about giving retired Daily Mail readers with nothing better to do in the mornings something to point and jeer at

I used to think it was fake until, well the sheer volume of shows started to be churned out. Where are you going to get actors to act that naturally day in day out? and if they were just folks off the street told to act this story out surely after over 1000 different shows something would be leaked out. They have to get paid a fair amount.

I never understand though, if they know they are in the wrong and they are going to get lie detector'd why you would even agree to turn up there.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Cabbit posted:

Charlie Brooker looks a lot thinner than the last time I saw him, which was admittedly awhile ago. Almost startlingly so.

Two words for you. Konnie. Huq.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it me, or was Phil Jupitus looking a lot thinner on QI?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

LE0N posted:

...why you would even agree to turn up there.

Because they are stupid enough to think that they are special and different; and, by going on tv, they will be spotted by a producer become famous get their picture in Heat magazine/ the sun etc and be rich and famous like all the "celebs" that they see who are famous for not much more than that.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Wormophile posted:

Never mind the Jeremy Kyle guests, what I want to know is who the gently caress goes on to Embarrassing Bodies?? It takes a very special kind of person to not go to their local GP but to instead go on channel 4 and show the entire nation their anal polyps or mental vagina :psyduck:

And then there's Embarassing Teenage Bodies. I really can't think of a worse time in a person's life to go on a show like that...

Edit: Speak of the devil, it's on E4+1 now, and dealing with self-harm scars and asymmetric testicles.

Irisi posted:

It was amazing.

Cat toilet seats? A nose-cake? I really, really regret missing this one. I hope it gets repeated sometime, because it's no longer on iPlayer. The Vegas guy struck me as kind of selfish, but this guy sounds completely insane.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 30, 2011

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ChuckDHead posted:

And then there's Embarassing Teenage Bodies. I really can't think of a worse time in a person's life to go on a show like that...

Cat toilet seats? A nose-cake? I really, really regret missing this one. I hope it gets repeated sometime, because it's no longer on iPlayer. The Vegas guy struck me as kind of selfish, but this guy sounds completely insane.

Some picture of the wedding

some videos from youtube

and a clip from you tube

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Thanks to the linked videos on that youtube clip, I just learned that John Barrowman has appeared a number of times on QVC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sion posted:

Two words for you. Konnie. Huq.

...shagging him skinny. Probably the best way to lose weight.