Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ExcessBLarg! posted:

300 MB is the magic number I believe.

Except for tethering and roaming, yes.

Yep, that's the number they mentioned on the phone when they called me about going over. Really sucks since verizon roaming is one of the reasons I chose sprint, but what can you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I get a great Sprint signal where I live except of course for one swath where my house sits. We regularly flip to roaming, drop calls, and sometimes the phone doesn't even ring and tada you have a mystery voicemail! Basically, is that grounds enough to get one one of those airaves for free from Sprint that I've heard about?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

OldPueblo posted:

I get a great Sprint signal where I live except of course for one swath where my house sits. We regularly flip to roaming, drop calls, and sometimes the phone doesn't even ring and tada you have a mystery voicemail! Basically, is that grounds enough to get one one of those airaves for free from Sprint that I've heard about?

You never know until you try!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OldPueblo posted:

Should be. My brother, my boss, and I have all gotten free Airaves in the last few months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldPueblo posted:

Just call retentions number from the OP and say you are having signal problems. You will get one.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
It's a little ridiculous that they still haven't fixed the vanishing text messages with the airave.

It's got most of my friends to switch to google voice though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha, the sprint office at my school has "prep for iphone rush" on its to-do board

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

change my name posted:

Haha, the sprint office at my school has "prep for iphone rush" on its to-do board

Sprint office...at your school? :raise:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Between the janitor's closet and the drinking fountain.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alman posted:

Sprint office...at your school? :raise:

Don't most colleges have certain networks they give discounts on?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

change my name posted:

Don't most colleges have certain networks they give discounts on?

AT&T was a big sponsor of my school's athletics, but never got discounts and there wasn't a store on campus

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Apologies if this was already posted and I missed it, but apparently now Sprint is also dropping the ability to purchase a new device and have it added to your next month's bill.

http://phandroid.com/2011/09/28/sprints-season-of-change-to-cancel-bill-to-account-option-for-customers/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Sprint is going to whittle themselves down until they have only one plan with zero perks aren't they? Is there an ongoing list of perks they've dropped in the last few months?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm trying to USB Tether with an Evo 4G running MIUI on Windows 7. The help file on the phone says no driver is required for Linux or Win7. An NDIS device shows up in Network Adapters, but in Device Manager an 'Android Phone' is missing drivers.

Is MIUI close enough to AOSP that I can use the Google USB Drivers or do I still use the HTC OEM USB drivers?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sprint is going to whittle themselves down until they have only one plan with zero perks aren't they? Is there an ongoing list of perks they've dropped in the last few months?

Was that an unusual perk? I mean, I'm annoyed to see it go, since I've actually used it more than once.. but I guess I assumed that was something everybody did.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Is MIUI close enough to AOSP that I can use the Google USB Drivers or do I still use the HTC OEM USB drivers?
Actually, what matters is the USB Vendor:Product ID that the MIUI kernel uses in RNDIS mode. I would imagine they keep the HTC IDs since it would be silly to change them, so you would want the HTC OEM USB drivers.

For the record, the help file is "sort of" correct. The RNDIS driver is the same regardless of the phone, and it's included in Windows XP SP3 and above. The problem is that you need a little .inf file that contains the right USB Vendor:Product ID for Windows to not play dumb and recognize the device. That's why you have to find the right "driver".

Linux doesn't give a poo poo about the product ID and sees it's an RNDIS interface, which is why it doesn't need anything special.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

brc64 posted:

Was that an unusual perk? I mean, I'm annoyed to see it go, since I've actually used it more than once.. but I guess I assumed that was something everybody did.

From what I understand, you can't bill the purchase of your phone to your account with other major companies. Luckily, this change doesn't affect corporate liable accounts, only consumer/business individual.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I just went through support HELL for my overheating Evo 3D and finally, finally got my replacement and activated it and IT IS HOTTER THAN HELL

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PHONE

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

yellowjournalism posted:

I just went through support HELL for my overheating Evo 3D and finally, finally got my replacement and activated it and IT IS HOTTER THAN HELL

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS PHONE

Samsung plant spotted

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My first 3D overheated badly and died, my second one never gets more than mildly warm. Maybe he just has poo poo luck.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Someone mentioned before that the phones are getting too big. I couldn't agree more. My Epic 4g was acting up and being a piece of poo poo so I decided to switch to an optimus s. While it sucks to have a smaller screen and a less powerful phone, it is nice to have something smaller to carry around.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

That'll hurt sales more than customers. Honestly, that is almost good for customers, way too easy to talk people in to buying XX product when they can just bill to account. Sucks for me, but probably way too many accounts defaulting on it.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Gonna be honest I didn't know you could even do that in the first place

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Appachai posted:

Samsung plant spotted

You seriously have no idea how much poo poo I had to go through to get my warm phone replaced with a hot phone.

Way to convince me to get TEP, Sprint, you zero-4G-coverage-wherever-I-loving-go Assholes.

I'm really sick of this, should I just try to get it replaced with a Galaxy S II?

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 30, 2011

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Alman posted:

Gonna be honest I didn't know you could even do that in the first place

There's only some stores that allow you to do that. Corporate and some designated 3rd parties.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm really sick of this, should I just try to get it replaced with a Galaxy S II?

The nexus prime will be out soon I think...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

yellowjournalism posted:

You seriously have no idea how much poo poo I had to go through to get my warm phone replaced with a hot phone.

Way to convince me to get TEP, Sprint, you zero-4G-coverage-wherever-I-loving-go Assholes.

If you have no 4G coverage wherever you loving go, is it really worth it to you to get a 4G phone?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Lovie Unsmith posted:

If you have no 4G coverage wherever you loving go, is it really worth it to you to get a 4G phone?
All the high end phones have WiMax radios, and it's as simple as turning off a wifi radio if you don't have coverage or want to save battery? Voice and SMS are still routed through the CDMA1x network.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I'm just thinking why pay the extra $10/mo for a service you're not using.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

It's not just for 4G, it's to help offset data costs due to the heavy usage of data from the newer smart phones. Luckily Sprint wizened up and is including it in their newer advertisements for their unlimited data plans, but for the longest part of the year they didn't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Because Sprint won't sell you any phone that's otherwise equivalent without that fee.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

On Sprint? So it turns out the E4GT has its own issues. The big one is "Loss of Signal", whereby the radio randomly loses connectivity and can only be fixed with a reboot. Which is super convenient when it happens while the phone is in your pocket and you're expecting calls and poo poo.

In general, folks complain about a variety of radio issues. Aside from "Loss of Signal", they complain that its reception isn't the greatest. Plus it lacks ESMR band support and EVDO rev B.

Perhaps it's still a bit early to tell, but it looks like a repeat of last year is upon us. Folks have to chose between HTC's hardware roulette and Samsung being Samsung. I still think you're better off rotating through Evo 3Ds until you get one that doesn't overheat, rather than move to a device that already has pretty crippling software issues with a fix ETA of never.

There's always the Photon.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 30, 2011

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One of my family members bought a Photon. It's quite nice, and the antenna is fantastic. :shobon:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The whole relationship people have with Samsung smartphones is hilarious. It's almost like Battered Wives Syndrome. This time it'll be different, he promised. And the outcome is always, predictably, the same.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On Sprint? So it turns out the E4GT has its own issues. The big one is "Loss of Signal", whereby the radio randomly loses connectivity and can only be fixed with a reboot. Which is super convenient when it happens while the phone is in your pocket and you're expecting calls and poo poo.

In general, folks complain about a variety of radio issues. Aside from "Loss of Signal", they complain that its reception isn't the greatest. Plus it lacks ESMR band support and EVDO rev B.

Perhaps it's still a bit early to tell, but it looks like a repeat of last year is upon us. Folks have to chose between HTC's hardware roulette and Samsung being Samsung. I still think you're better off rotating through Evo 3Ds until you get one that doesn't overheat, rather than move to a device that already has pretty crippling software issues with a fix ETA of never.

Thanks for the words. Unfortunately I hate pentile so Photon is a no go. I was mostly venting over the silly junk they had me do, which I highly suspect was them trying to time me out on the 30-day return/exchange period. They offered me a white Evo 3D to exchange, which sounded nice, and then I was waiting a solid week before they told me it was out of stock, another week before they told me they had no idea when it would come back in stock, I said uh give me a couple days and then found out that it was a Radioshack exclusive so they would NEVER get it in stock, and even after telling them this directly over the phone they refused to do anything but dodge dodge dodge until I later got fed up and said just get me a black one, and then they tried to charge me a replacement fee, saying that I was out of my 30 days, and after phone transfer roulette they told me someone canceled my order for no reason. So I was a little annoyed to get a new handwarmer.

I don't know a drat thing about Samsung besides the updated thread title which said "goon-recommended" to me, so I guess I'll just see how this Evo 3D pans out.

And yeah I'm ponying up the extra $10 because I want a great device, not to mention that I'm developing for Android.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

yellowjournalism posted:

Thanks for the words. Unfortunately I hate pentile so Photon is a no go. I was mostly venting over the silly junk they had me do, which I highly suspect was them trying to time me out on the 30-day return/exchange period. They offered me a white Evo 3D to exchange, which sounded nice, and then I was waiting a solid week before they told me it was out of stock, another week before they told me they had no idea when it would come back in stock, I said uh give me a couple days and then found out that it was a Radioshack exclusive so they would NEVER get it in stock, and even after telling them this directly over the phone they refused to do anything but dodge dodge dodge until I later got fed up and said just get me a black one, and then they tried to charge me a replacement fee, saying that I was out of my 30 days, and after phone transfer roulette they told me someone canceled my order for no reason. So I was a little annoyed to get a new handwarmer.

I don't know a drat thing about Samsung besides the updated thread title which said "goon-recommended" to me, so I guess I'll just see how this Evo 3D pans out.

And yeah I'm ponying up the extra $10 because I want a great device, not to mention that I'm developing for Android.

Does it lock up when it gets hot? Or do you just not like hot things?

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm pretty sure the thread title is just a joke about how ridiculous the name is for the sprint version of the GSII.

Also I imagine it is possible that you're just caught in "refurb hell" at the moment where you're getting replacement devices that have already had problems. Personally though I'd just keep spinning the wheel until you get one that works. The screens on the GSII (low resolution) and photon (pentile) are deal breakers for me personally.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Yeah the thread title is a huge tongue-in-cheek thing and has always seemed to be as long as I've been coming in here to read about Sprint (like end of 2008 or start of 2009).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

In the Gingerbread update for the Optimus, the stock Android keyboard doesn't suggest words. Way to go, guys.

At least there are identical versions of it on the Market :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Lutha Mahtin posted:

In the Gingerbread update for the Optimus, the stock Android keyboard doesn't suggest words. Way to go, guys.

At least there are identical versions of it on the Market :v:

It does, but it pulls autocomplete from your address book until you do a factory reset.

Seriously.