Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

haveblue posted:

He looks pretty messed up after the Batwing crashes. I think there was some blood.

What about James Bond? What's the worst thing that ever happened to him?

Dick and ball torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

codyclarke posted:

What are some action movies where the hero isn't physically injured once in the entire movie? Steven Seagal's Fire Down Below is probably the best example of this.

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I don't offhand recall Ripley or Sarah Connor getting injured in their first movies. Though to be fair, Sarah Connor wasn't the hero there. In the sequels, Ripley is unclear if you consider the whole dying thing.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Wild T posted:

I don't remember the hero ever being injured in Equilibrium.

His neck was grazed by a bullet.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Bad Wolf posted:

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I don't offhand recall Ripley or Sarah Connor getting injured in their first movies. Though to be fair, Sarah Connor wasn't the hero there. In the sequels, Ripley is unclear if you consider the whole dying thing.

Linda Hamilton gets a huge chunk of shrapnel in the leg at the end of the first Terminator movie.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

For the record, this question is not inspired by the fact that a guy named ServoMST3K posted:

I've been watching more than my share of MST3K episodes, and it struck me how wrong some of the Super Future science-fiction movies got things. But that's not a question for this thread:

Is it a bias on my part, or is modern science fiction (and their audiences) expecting movies to be outclassed by the Real World for more than in days past?. 50s era science fiction seems so earnest with their Ray Guns, Martians, and Flying Saucers Are Really The Future! motif? Would people here say thats true? If so, when would you say this shift happened?
In addition to SubG's excellent points about sci-fi aging, you have to consider the approach to releasing movies was totally different in the 50s. Watch Ed Wood and Barton Fink, both give a small glimpse into the ridiculous Hollywood mentality of the era. Even movies like Casablanca were just churned out by the studios, because way more people went to the movies at the time no matter what was showing. Once people started buying TVs, studios had to start being careful, like today, about marketing, demographics, and not releasing utter poo poo.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_hollywood_economist/2005/07/the_vanishing_box_office.html

Also MST3K usually scrapes from the bottom of the cinema barrel, so I don't know if it's safe to generalize that all films from the 50s and 60s are that low-budget and scientifically backwards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

codyclarke posted:

What are some action movies where the hero isn't physically injured once in the entire movie? Steven Seagal's Fire Down Below is probably the best example of this.

Do you mean never even hit, or not shown with any actual injury (lasting or not)?

haveblue posted:

He looks pretty messed up after the Batwing crashes. I think there was some blood.

What about James Bond? What's the worst thing that ever happened to him?

Imprisoned and tortured for months has gotta be up there, and he definitely gets roughed up a lot through frequent beatings. The very first movie had him in the undignified position of having to crawl through burning-hot ducts, and since then he's been shocked, neck-screwed, stretched, nearly G-LOC'd, and poisoned, and those are just a few off the top of my head. Though there's something to be said for how quickly he recovers - he's usually ok by the end of the scene and definitely ok by the end of the movie.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Lobok posted:

Do you mean never even hit, or not shown with any actual injury (lasting or not)?

Well in Fire Down Below, I don't think Steven Seagal gets hit even once. I watched it last night and I don't remember him getting hit once, so if he did, he didn't even flinch or anything. People would grab him, but that's about it. Basically he just deflected people the whole time, and didn't suffer a single injury, even a slight cut. That happens in other Seagal movies too, but never as blatantly as this one.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Lobok posted:

Imprisoned and tortured for months has gotta be up there, and he definitely gets roughed up a lot through frequent beatings. The very first movie had him in the undignified position of having to crawl through burning-hot ducts, and since then he's been shocked, neck-screwed, stretched, nearly G-LOC'd, and poisoned, and those are just a few off the top of my head. Though there's something to be said for how quickly he recovers - he's usually ok by the end of the scene and definitely ok by the end of the movie.

He was hospitalized for a while after having his testicles tortured to a pulp. I wanna say he broke his arm in Tomorrow Never Dies, too.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 30, 2011

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Rake Arms posted:

He was hospitalized for a while after having his balls testicles to a pulp. I wanna say he broke his arm in Tomorrow Never Dies, too.

Also hospitalized in Die Another Day after being scorpion-tortured, although that movie shouldn't be brought up ever.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

csidle posted:

I know it's quite a change of subject, but what do you guys think of scenes of making out and sex in movies? I'm asking because we watched My Name is Joe during class today and it was rather awkward during the makeout- and sexscenes. I suppose maybe you'll call it immature to find it awkward, but that's just how it is. There are very few sex scenes that I remember having enjoyed seeing, and those have only been because yay tits. I guess sex scenes are in there because of two reasons: 1. to flesh out character relationships 2. because the movie is going for a realistic angle and doesn't want to spare any details (bit of doubt on this one).

1. I can see why the interaction during various intimate scenes could flesh out relationships, but I wonder: if the scenes are not enjoyed by the audience (Which I believe they generally aren't), is it worth it having them in the movie to flesh out the relationship? Could the same effect not be achieved through dialog or other forms of cinematic storytelling that lets the viewer know that this couple banged?

2. Same as above really, if the scene isn't enjoyed by the audience, should it be in the movie?

Now, I have bit of a paradox, because while typing that, I realized that I think rape scenes and such are more fair to have in movies than scenes of lovemaking, because they show an act that is obviously incredibly traumatic and is generally a large part of the plot. You could maybe say the same about lovescenes, but here is where I hit a brick wall. I don't think I'm a weirdo who enjoys rape scenes, so please don't accuse me of that. I don't know why I feel this way though, I just feel like a scene that has the content of a rape is so relevant to the story that it is justified in being in the movie, while a scene of lovemaking is generally not necessary for me.

This is from a while back but just wanted to chime in w/ my thoughts. Sex in movies is really effective at one thing - showing the awkwardness or lustful or uncomfortable aspects of sex (across a huge spectrum, of course, from two virgins trying to figure it out, to Last Tango in Paris, and all the way to rape). I basically never feel like it comes across as romantic or sexy. Indeed, the two most romantic movies of all time -- Before Sunrise and Before Sunset -- have but a single kiss between them. Another pair of incredibly romantic movies (though in a more bittersweet vein) -- In the Mood for Love and 2046 -- have one extraordinarily intense kiss and that's it. Indeed, the director of those films, Wong Kar Wai, is a master of making you feel the protagonist's longing or lust or love without having to resort to showing you sex or boobs or even physical contact.

In short, less is more.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I think Titanic's sex scene is super duper romantic.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

quote:

if the scenes are not enjoyed by the audience (Which I believe they generally aren't)

That's a shaky premise! I know a lot of people (mostly women) who look forward to those scenes like I would an action scene.

I don't think conveying romance or tenderness with a makeout/sex scene is some holy grail - it's been done before. I think your reaction might speak a bit to your own sensibilities.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lobok posted:

I think The World Is Not Enough is the only one where an injury he takes during the cold opening lasts throughout the entire movie (dislocated shoulder).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fenix down posted:

Also MST3K usually scrapes from the bottom of the cinema barrel, so I don't know if it's safe to generalize that all films from the 50s and 60s are that low-budget and scientifically backwards.

I can't pinpoint why some films from that era look dumb in every way and then others are tolerable and can still be taken seriously. I just saw Forbidden Planet for the first time in a long while and it doesn't seem to be chintzy.

SubG posted:

I think it hasn't happened, and you just have conditioned blindness to the modern version. In sixty years, the futures of The Matrix (1999), Minority Report (2002), A.I. (2001), Ultraviolet (2006), and so on will be just as glaringly dated as Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) looks to you today.

That's a good point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

I think it hasn't happened, and you just have conditioned blindness to the modern version. In sixty years, the futures of The Matrix (1999), Minority Report (2002), A.I. (2001), Ultraviolet (2006), and so on will be just as glaringly dated as Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) looks to you today.

Sixty years is extremely generous, already the Matrix looks about as gauche as KoRn doing a dubstep album.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sixty years is extremely generous, already the Matrix looks about as gauche as KoRn doing a dubstep album.

I still really enjoy the Matrix, if only because Agent Smith is now the essential G-Man in my mind. Really Hugo Weaving is the only reason.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

In short, less is more.
Truer words have seldom been spoken. The Sunrise/Sunset movies I watched just recently, and they are indeed amazing. I would add Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind onto that bunch. The latter of the bunch in particular is the best and most realistic interpretation of a love relationship I've ever seen on film.

DNS posted:

That's a shaky premise! I know a lot of people (mostly women) who look forward to those scenes like I would an action scene.

I don't think conveying romance or tenderness with a makeout/sex scene is some holy grail - it's been done before. I think your reaction might speak a bit to your own sensibilities.
That's a good point. It's weird to think that I had not considered that at all. I have no problems with them when watching films alone, but I find it awkward with other people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I still really enjoy the Matrix, if only because Agent Smith is now the essential G-Man in my mind. Really Hugo Weaving is the only reason.

I love the Matrix but the only movie more 90's is Reality Bites.

vvv not at all, that's why I like it so much now vvv

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 1, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it weird to think The Matrix has actually improved over time just because of how much of a time capsule it ended up being?

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

is it weird to think The Matrix has actually improved over time just because of how much of a time capsule it ended up being?

No, because I think that's kind of what the Wachoswski's were going for. The whole idea of the Matrix itself is essentially an artificial recreation of society around 1999, suspended out of time in an insular bubble that the characters re-enter. It's purposefully 90s-esque within the narrative, and that in turn helps the film itself to function in a similar way. It's like what Zemeckis did in Back to the Future.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Are there any good Colin Clive films I should check out (assuming I can track any of them down)? Frankenstein and Bride of... are two of my favorite films of that era for sure. A shame he didn't have a great deal of on-screen roles before his demise.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love the Matrix but the only movie more 90's is Reality Bites.

vvv not at all, that's why I like it so much now vvv

That makes sense since it cribbed so heavily from The Invisibles, which is one of the ultimate 'of its moment' 90s time capsules.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Invisibles, The X-Files and Deus Ex were pretty much the distillation of my pop-culture interests in 1999.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I just had this brilliant idea (I'm just loving around and not actually serious, but I am curious): How hard would it be to break into Hollywood behind the scenes as a script doctor? It occurs to me that I love movies (like everyone in CD) and I hate seeing movies that could have been so much better if the script was good (again, like a lot of people in CD). I'm just curious if there's actually like a market for script doctoring and a lot of well-known movies actually got tweaked by some random guy working behind the scenes. I heard Tarantino supposedly did an uncredited rewrite of Crimson Tide and I've been told Christopher McQuarrie has done a bit of that as well since he dropped off the map for a while until Valkyrie came out.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Encryptic posted:

I'm just curious if there's actually like a market for script doctoring and a lot of well-known movies actually got tweaked by some random guy working behind the scenes.

Script doctors are usually people who have already proven themselves as screenwriters, and are usually Oscar-winners. It's a "slumming it" job that pays in the millions and usually only lasts a few weeks. Good luck breaking in!

By the way, these script doctors usually only write what the producers/studio tell them to. There's very little actual creative input involved.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

Script doctors are usually people who have already proven themselves as screenwriters, and are usually Oscar-winners. It's a "slumming it" job that pays in the millions and usually only lasts a few weeks. Good luck breaking in!

By the way, these script doctors usually only write what the producers/studio tell them to. There's very little actual creative input involved.

Heh, yeah. I figured it was pretty much like that and not like they bring in some guy who magically fixes poo poo. I wasn't actually serious but it was a brilliant idea nonetheless. ;)

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you're interested in screenwriting watch "Tales from the Script" to get an idea on how thankless a job it is. The general pattern is one writer will write something that gets optioned then have parts rewritten by others who are usually under the direction of the studio.

Scriptwriting is likely the most saturated area of the industry as it's a no cost venture with programs like Celtx free to use and every man and his dog dreams of writing the next Shawshank Redemption. The result is we get six scripts from you that make us wonder why you haven't been locked in a mental ward.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Encryptic posted:

I just had this brilliant idea (I'm just loving around and not actually serious, but I am curious): How hard would it be to break into Hollywood behind the scenes as a script doctor? It occurs to me that I love movies (like everyone in CD) and I hate seeing movies that could have been so much better if the script was good (again, like a lot of people in CD). I'm just curious if there's actually like a market for script doctoring and a lot of well-known movies actually got tweaked by some random guy working behind the scenes. I heard Tarantino supposedly did an uncredited rewrite of Crimson Tide and I've been told Christopher McQuarrie has done a bit of that as well since he dropped off the map for a while until Valkyrie came out.

Read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Movies-Fun-Profit-Billion/dp/1439186758/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317447555&sr=8-1

It's a very good resource for exactly what you'd like to do. But a lot has to come before you're given 'punch up' work, such as writing a spec script to prove you can write. It's a very common job, though. Most Hollywood screenplays have way more writers than you'd ever believe. And most Hollywood screenwriters do uncredited rewrites. A few off the top of my head: M. Night did one for She's All That, Noah Baumbach did one for that new movie Tower Heist.

But a lot of the time the job isn't at all about making a script better. The genesis of a script is often whim-based and unpredictable, as you'll read in the book. The majority of movies are bad not because the screenwriters working on them can't write, but because the people in charge generally don't give a poo poo. Just read the book though, it lays everything out way better than I could.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

I had no idea they wrote a book! Thanks for the heads up, that should be a fun read!

I know so many burned out screenwriters, it's not even funny. It's one of the most miserable jobs in Hollywood, on par with PAs (though the compensation for writers is usually better).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I had no idea they wrote a book! Thanks for the heads up, that should be a fun read!

I know so many burned out screenwriters, it's not even funny. It's one of the most miserable jobs in Hollywood, on par with PAs (though the compensation for writers is usually better).

Yeah, I was going to say that's loving awesome that they wrote a book. Definitely going to buy it. I was going to order some stuff off Amazon anyway so I might as well get bumped to free shipping at least.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Are there any other movies that do blue skies/white cloud chapter breaks other than My Blue Heaven and Magnolia? I think it's a really cool motif.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched MASH recently and also the extras. Ring Lardner, Jr. was the screenwriter for this and Altman basically discarded his writing for the film itself. And then Lardner ended up winning Adapted Screenplay Oscar in 1970. Any similar instances of this?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On tv, Harlan Ellison won the 1968 Writer's Guild of America Award for an episode of Star Trek that he disowned because of how substantially it was changed during production. I think he sued the studio to get his name taken off of it, but he's also a total crackpot so the changes might not be that significant.

Also, the Oscar Lardner got might have been for the script he wrote and not for the movie as it was made.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Harlan Ellison's controversy section on Wikipedia is amazingly long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

On tv, Harlan Ellison won the 1968 Writer's Guild of America Award for an episode of Star Trek that he disowned because of how substantially it was changed during production. I think he sued the studio to get his name taken off of it, but he's also a total crackpot so the changes might not be that significant.

Also, the Oscar Lardner got might have been for the script he wrote and not for the movie as it was made.

Ellison won for the original version that he wrote, not the script that actually made it to the air.

One of his biggest problems with the change was that the episode made it seem like anti-war protests were a bad thing. Also that they took out a character moment where Spock calls Kirk "Jim" and the way they changed it from Kirk letting the woman die to needing Spock to stop him from saving her.

In other more recent Harlan Ellison news, he's suing the people behind the new Justin Timberlake movie "In Time" saying they ripped off his short story "Repent Harlequin, said the Tick Tock Man." I've read the story and they don't seem similar at all.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ServoMST3K posted:

Are there any good Colin Clive films I should check out (assuming I can track any of them down)? Frankenstein and Bride of... are two of my favorite films of that era for sure. A shame he didn't have a great deal of on-screen roles before his demise.

Haven't seen any other Colin Clive films, but you might want to check out some James Whale films too since he directed both of those. I've watched a bunch of his movies and they've always stood to me out as being very good movies and having less dated sensibilities than a lot of 30s movies (beyond just being pre-code). One good horror movie of his I liked a lot is The Old Dark House. And a couple others you might want to check out, although I haven't actually seen them yet: Invisible Man and Journey's End, which is a WW1 movie that was Colin Clive's first movie.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Is there a "technical" name for that cliched female vocal "Aaaaaahhhhhhaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaahhhhhh" recording that gets played over dramatic moments in a lot of movies (LOTR, Gladiator, etc.)? It's not annoyingly over-used, but I wonder if The Godfather established the cliche by playing opera over the montage of people getting killed towards the end.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Encryptic posted:

Is there a "technical" name for that cliched female vocal "Aaaaaahhhhhhaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaahhhhhh" recording that gets played over dramatic moments in a lot of movies (LOTR, Gladiator, etc.)?
Not quite sure if this answers your question, but in classical music the term for it is a vocalise (rhymes with peace), most often used as a vocal exercise but also as a stand-alone piece ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZIQ2pHaJ1I

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

Schweinhund posted:

Haven't seen any other Colin Clive films, but you might want to check out some James Whale films too since he directed both of those. I've watched a bunch of his movies and they've always stood to me out as being very good movies and having less dated sensibilities than a lot of 30s movies (beyond just being pre-code). One good horror movie of his I liked a lot is The Old Dark House. And a couple others you might want to check out, although I haven't actually seen them yet: Invisible Man and Journey's End, which is a WW1 movie that was Colin Clive's first movie.

Awesome, thanks. I've heard scattered praise for James Whale over the years but never really looked into his other output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Not quite sure if this answers your question, but in classical music the term for it is a vocalise (rhymes with peace), most often used as a vocal exercise but also as a stand-alone piece ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZIQ2pHaJ1I

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about - that Lisa Gerrard-style female vocalist that's not actually "singing" but just vocalizing over the big dramatic moment in Gladiator or whatever. I figured there was a name for it besides "cliched dramatic soundtrack vocalist" or something. Thanks. :)