Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm having a hard time finding Field Corn for making Hominy. The Spanish markets have dried and fresh masa, but no plain dried corn.

Is there any reason why I can't just go to the farm supply store and buy a bag of horse feed?

I don't know if they have hominy specifically, but Sunflower Farmers Markets and Winco are national chains with a good assortment of bulk bins with grains and stuff. If you have one close by, give them a call or take a look.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So riddle me this. I am making a super hamburger bun for a rather large burger. I follow a recipe for hamburger buns. (This is the recipe) Instead of making 12 buns I am taking twice the ingredients and making one bun. Here's the problem, when it comes time to give it time to rise, it doesn't. It sits there like a rock. No rising. Is there an ingredient or two that don't scale linearly? They're supposed to be light and fluffy but it turns more into the consistency of a baguette.

Edit: oh also, how am i supposed to cook (temperature and time) something this large? I know that will probably change. Is it lowering the cook temperature and increasing the time like how meat and other foods cook?

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 1, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's possible your yeast didn't activate, your yeast is dead, your yeast is old, or you didn't add enough yeast.

It's also possible you were rising in too hot of a location or too cold of a location.

It's also possible you overkneaded.

It's also possible you added too much flour.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Casu Marzu posted:

It's possible your yeast didn't activate, your yeast is dead, your yeast is old, or you didn't add enough yeast.

It's also possible you were rising in too hot of a location or too cold of a location.

It's also possible you overkneaded.

It's also possible you added too much flour.

So it's basically anything then. Alright. Well thanks then, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rcman50166 posted:

So it's basically anything then. Alright. Well thanks then, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

It's probably the first. It's very unlikely you overkneaded it or let it proof in too hot of a place. Too cold of a place is possible, but I'm guessing you know better than that. How old was your yeast? What sort of yeast was it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I bought a lot of broccoli a few days ago because it was "beautiful," but as it turns out am not actually in the mood for any of the usual things I would do with broccoli, like broccoli and cheese soup, that picnic broccoli salad, serving it with pasta, etc. What's something interesting and different I can make? I was thinking about these broccoli rabe grinders, but I thought I'd see if any of you have better ideas first.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rollersnake posted:

I bought a lot of broccoli a few days ago because it was "beautiful," but as it turns out am not actually in the mood for any of the usual things I would do with broccoli, like broccoli and cheese soup, that picnic broccoli salad, serving it with pasta, etc. What's something interesting and different I can make? I was thinking about these broccoli rabe grinders, but I thought I'd see if any of you have better ideas first.

I've been thinking about this one, and I may have an idea you could try. Bear in mind that I've never, ever made this and it could be ghastly.

A broccoli dauphinois.

Very lightly (30 secs - 1 min) blanch the broccoli rosettes and dunk them in cold water. Allow to dry as best as possible.

Pour cream into a saucepan, add a lightly crush garlic clove, a bay leaf, and a halved shallot. Bring to just under the boil (when bubbles appear to the side of the pan, remove from the heat). Allow to cool and sieve.

Slice thin-ish into roughly equal sizes (or pick rosettes into smaller bits?), layer them in a baking tray of some sort (possibly individual ramekins), sprinkle finely chopped chilis over each layer, along with some parmesan cheese, and (maybe) some lightly sauteed red onion slices, add black pepper liberally and a bit of salt. Cover with a last layer of broccoli, pour over cream until not-quite submerged and sprinkle over a last layer of parmesan.

Put in the oven at 160C / 320F for 30 min? Maybe an hour? I wouldn't want to cook them to soggy gently caress, but the cream needs to 'set' and form that thickness you'd want of a potato dauphinois. I'd advise just keeping an eye on it after 30 min.

Pull out of the oven, leave to rest for about 5 min.

I like the idea of changing up the classic cheese-broccoli combination, and it could be an interesting side with beef of some sort.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 1, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Always stir fry with thinly sliced beef, a bit of onion, and oyster or XO sauce.

Edit: roasting broccoli is fantastic too. Broccoli slaw is great as well.

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Where can I find an industrial-size roll of aluminum foil? I lived with someone over the summer who had one that must have weighed 10 pounds. He'd been using it steadily since he got it years ago (I think he said someone in the industry stole it for him). Where do restaurants get things like that? I'm in Boston, if anyone has a local tip.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Where can I find an industrial-size roll of aluminum foil? I lived with someone over the summer who had one that must have weighed 10 pounds. He'd been using it steadily since he got it years ago (I think he said someone in the industry stole it for him). Where do restaurants get things like that? I'm in Boston, if anyone has a local tip.

http://www.instawares.com/aluminum-foil.0.3.0.htm

http://www.instawares.com/boardwalk-18in-x-1000ft-heavy-duty-aluminum-foil-roll.7126bw.0.7.htm?Ts=0

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurant+aluminum+foil

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Also it looks like that place uses magic negative-weight shipping boxes:

Product Weight 10 lbs
Shipping Weight 8.83 lbs

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Thanks, but ideally I'd go to a brick and mortar location, both to save on shipping a metal brick and to shop around and help round out my new kitchen. Any suggestions along those lines?

e - found this, but it looks like I'd need a membership http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wahad posted:

Does anybody have a good hamburger-bun recipe? I want to try and see how much a from-scratch bun adds to my usual hamburger recipe, but I really only know how to make a baguette.

From a few pages back, this is an awesome recipe
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/beautiful-burger-buns-recipe

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

benito posted:

A tasty way to enjoy a bunch of veggies at once... Via Argentina, I made this carbonada criolla:

Small pumpkin stuffed with corn, shallots, fire roasted tomatoes, nectarines, and assorted spices.

This is from like a week ago, but do you have a recipe for this?

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I am going to be making pulled pork in my slow cooker tomorrow. The shoulder we got to do it has a lot of fat on it, it's almost fully encased in fat. Should we trim some of the fat off or leave it all on? We use the juice to make BBQ sauce so less fat means less skimming but I don't want to ruin it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vixenella posted:

I am going to be making pulled pork in my slow cooker tomorrow. The shoulder we got to do it has a lot of fat on it, it's almost fully encased in fat. Should we trim some of the fat off or leave it all on? We use the juice to make BBQ sauce so less fat means less skimming but I don't want to ruin it.

Fat makes things taste good. You can leave the fat in if you like, but if you prefer a less fatty sauce then just get rid of it beforehand.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Thanks, but ideally I'd go to a brick and mortar location, both to save on shipping a metal brick and to shop around and help round out my new kitchen. Any suggestions along those lines?

e - found this, but it looks like I'd need a membership http://www.restaurantdepot.com/

I can't really thing of a brick and mortar store that you could buy it from honestly. You could try going to a restaurant supply store and asking if you could order through them.

Another possibility is, if you know someone who works at a restaurant ask them to see if the boss will order one for them. I don't know about chain places, but the privately owned places I've worked at have never had a problem with it, as long as you pay them back obviously (or put the money upfront).

I've seen people order poo poo from huge rib roasts and suckling pigs to soap that the distributor happened to carry.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Since the general discussion thread is gone, just posting this here. A month or so ago I posted that I'd be making knives for goons soon, and to help further the idea that not all goon projects end in tears and despair, I've gotten off to a good start at my blacksmithing classes and have the steel for the knives in the mail as we speak! With any luck I can get a few out within a month for goons to tell me how terrible they are and can't cut soft butter.

Here's the blacksmithing thread of my classes if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&userid=124007&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

So I just got some xathan and guar gum, anything I should experiment with?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

heeebrew posted:

So I just got some xathan and guar gum, anything I should experiment with?

How do you feel about emulsions?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

I'm pretty sure you can get this at costco or Sam's club. I know we still have an industrial sized roll of cling wrap my husband bought at a Sam's years ago. If there is one near you bit you don't have a membership I'm sure you know someone who does!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

How do you feel about emulsions?

I never met them

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Randomity posted:

I'm pretty sure you can get this at costco or Sam's club. I know we still have an industrial sized roll of cling wrap my husband bought at a Sam's years ago. If there is one near you bit you don't have a membership I'm sure you know someone who does!

Barnum posted:

I can't really thing of a brick and mortar store that you could buy it from honestly. You could try going to a restaurant supply store and asking if you could order through them.

Another possibility is, if you know someone who works at a restaurant ask them to see if the boss will order one for them. I don't know about chain places, but the privately owned places I've worked at have never had a problem with it, as long as you pay them back obviously (or put the money upfront).

I've seen people order poo poo from huge rib roasts and suckling pigs to soap that the distributor happened to carry.

Cool, thanks :)
Probably the best part of a huuuuge roll of foil is the one-handed operation -- no need to brace it!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

What do I do with a 6 lb cooked pork butt roast? I made BBQ pork sandwiches for a party last night. I wanted to make sure there was enough food so I made 2 butt roasts in 2 slow cookers, but we only used one of them.

I'd be up for anything that doesn't involve BBQ sauce or a bun. A soup that uses shredded pork would be great but a 2 minute search didn't turn anything up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone make the new cast iron pan thread? About six months ago someone had made a new cast iron pan thread at a mod's request, and now they've closed that thread, as well :(

My roommate moved out last week, taking with them the microwave. I've resorted to reheating things in my 12" cast iron skillet and a little olive oil, but it's too large and I only end up using about 1/3rd of the total surface area. Has anyone experimented with the 4-5" class of pans for this sort of thing? I'm thinking a 5" pan would double nicely as a 2 egg omelette pan as well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'd be up for anything that doesn't involve BBQ sauce or a bun. A soup that uses shredded pork would be great but a 2 minute search didn't turn anything up.

You could look into dumplings or egg rolls, maybe even some chili? I've no real experience with pork so maybe someone will pop in with a better idea.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What do I do with a 6 lb cooked pork butt roast? I made BBQ pork sandwiches for a party last night. I wanted to make sure there was enough food so I made 2 butt roasts in 2 slow cookers, but we only used one of them.

Tacos? There was a thread some time back that (IIRC) described making carnitas from pulled pork, and had the cooked, shredded meat crisped up to deliciousness under the broiler.

Maybe someone else remembers what thread that was in?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

dokomoy posted:

This is from like a week ago, but do you have a recipe for this?

I don't have the recipe on me, but just slice off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and strings. Toss in the vegetables that I listed and a can of fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen is great, but even regular canned tomatoes will be fine. Put the lid back on and bake it in a dish or pan for about an hour or until the pumpkin is fully cooked and tender. When serving, scoop out the vegetable stew and then scrape away some of the inside flesh.

Always keep it in some sort of pan, because at some point you'll poke through the bottom and make a mess.

You could also add some shredded pork or chicken to the dish as long as it's pre-cooked. Don't put raw meat in there, because by the time it's cooked your pumpkin is going to fall apart.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can someone make the new cast iron pan thread? About six months ago someone had made a new cast iron pan thread at a mod's request, and now they've closed that thread, as well :(

Do we really need one? It's a pan that has a couple minor restrictions and advantages and otherwise is identical to every other pan.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hadlock posted:

Maybe not a general cast iron pan thread, but when people make tasty things in their cast iron pans they should take lots of pictures and post a thread about it :)

I'm sure the last thread's 100 pages on seasoning and restoration are enough for just about anyone.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone experimented with the 4-5" class of pans for this sort of thing? I'm thinking a 5" pan would double nicely as a 2 egg omelette pan as well.

They work just fine. As ICR pointed out, cast iron pans are just old style cookware. There isn't anything magical about them. They're heavy as hell, require more care than modern pans and don't have totally awesome coatings to reduce food sticking to them. They are inconvenience pans.

On the other hand, they are tougher than most metal pans you'll use because they are a huge lump of iron, they can endure a lot more use and abuse than modern pans and are best for hand-to-hand combat compared to a flimsy teflon pan.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

They work just fine. As ICR pointed out, cast iron pans are just old style cookware. There isn't anything magical about them. They're heavy as hell, require more care than modern pans and don't have totally awesome coatings to reduce food sticking to them. They are inconvenience pans.

On the other hand, they are tougher than most metal pans you'll use because they are a huge lump of iron, they can endure a lot more use and abuse than modern pans and are best for hand-to-hand combat compared to a flimsy teflon pan.

Wait... what? A pan that never needs washed and is inherently non-stick requires more care than modern pans? My cast iron pans require no more work than wiping them out with a paper towel, then wiping down with a little oil. End of story.

Also, they have far, far better heat retention than any modern cookware, and can also tolerate much higher temperatures. This makes them ideal for searing meat, or other high temperature operations (flipped over, they make great pizza stones!)

This isn't intended to be a love letter to cast iron, I just think you're really underestimating the ease of use and utility of a good Griswold or Wagner pan.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The last two cast iron pan threads had combined 200+ pages; surely there's something to be said there.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

rj54x posted:

Wait... what? A pan that never needs washed and is inherently non-stick requires more care than modern pans? My cast iron pans require no more work than wiping them out with a paper towel, then wiping down with a little oil. End of story.

Until you get your pan perfectly seasoned and "broken in" though, they require WAY more effort and maintenance.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

How about a cookware thread? A cast iron thread sort of sounds like "Egg thread! No egg white recipes allowed."

rj54x posted:

Also, they have far, far better heat retention than any modern cookware, and can also tolerate much higher temperatures. This makes them ideal for searing meat, or other high temperature operations (flipped over, they make great pizza stones!)

What kind of pans are you using that they can't handle searing meat? :psyduck:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

PretentiousFood posted:

How about a cookware thread? A cast iron thread sort of sounds like "Egg thread! No egg white recipes allowed."

What kind of pans are you using that they can't handle searing meat? :psyduck:

Not can't handle - just not very good at it. You could of course do it in steel pans if you liked, but I always get better results with my iron.

rj54x fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 2, 2011

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
I'm braising something in yogurt and, to the surprise of absolutely no one but me, the yogurt broke down into liquid. Tasty, but it's got a bad grainy texture. I was thinking of whisking everything then stirring some cornstarch into the crockpot. Would this work? Should I wait until everything is cooked before trying to sauceify the braising liquid? Is there a better way of fixing this? Thanks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rj54x posted:

Not can't handle - just not very good at it. You could of course do it in steel pans if you liked, but I always get better results with my iron.

I use my cheap thin aluminum and SS pans to sear great steaks all the time. Get a real stove, noob. :colbert:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

rj54x posted:

This isn't intended to be a love letter to cast iron, I just think you're really underestimating the ease of use and utility of a good Griswold or Wagner pan.

I've got several cast iron pans and as Aery points out these are not low-maintenance out of the gate.

PretentiousFood - that's a much better idea. I've been thinking of a silly thread about cookware so I'll see if I can get the pics/stuff needed to put one together that's a bit more serious. No one wait on me though, if you have something to say about cookware, go ahead and say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Not The Wendigo posted:

I'm braising something in yogurt and, to the surprise of absolutely no one but me, the yogurt broke down into liquid. Tasty, but it's got a bad grainy texture. I was thinking of whisking everything then stirring some cornstarch into the crockpot. Would this work? Should I wait until everything is cooked before trying to sauceify the braising liquid? Is there a better way of fixing this? Thanks!

Cornstarch would definitely help, and it would be best to wait. Keep the heat as low as you can until then. When you're ready, make a cornstarch slurry with a bit of cream, and add it to the sauce. Use a stick blender if you can.