Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is the independent ending really the best? I was considering going pro-NCR but then I realized that they're stretched too thin and very bureaucratic, and most of the reasons the Great War happened was due to government gently caress-ups, how would I know if history won't repeat itself if NCR is in charge? Obviously Caesar's Legion is worse, they would just enslave everyone and let's face it, I shoot those football-pad wearing cosplayers on sight due to how horrid their crimes are and how stupid they look. Guess who I'm going to nuke in Lonesome Road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I like NCR ending or NCR in general despite them being absolutely no different from any other form of inefficient goverment. Still it offers something that resembles security and protection for common people without being too much opressed or crucified at the slightest offense (ala Legion).

On the long run Legion might provide more stable and efficient rule with its constant martial law and harsh punishments but drat, they make it really easy to pick sides with the hosed up stuff they do.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Galewolf posted:

I like NCR ending or NCR in general despite them being absolutely no different from any other form of inefficient goverment. Still it offers something that resembles security and protection for common people without being too much opressed or crucified at the slightest offense (ala Legion).

On the long run Legion might provide more stable and efficient rule with its constant martial law and harsh punishments but drat, they make it really easy to pick sides with the hosed up stuff they do.

I think more than anything that the Legion would've benefited from post-ending gameplay. You would be able to see if Caesar's idea of Hegelian dialectics actually worked, or if they stayed the same oppressive fucks they are in-game. The bone they throw us with Dale Barton isn't really enough.

I'm also not really sure how the whole ""independent traders living under Legion rule" thing works. Would they enslave your wife and daughter, or consider them your property or something? Do you pay them taxes? Do they let you drink and take chems, as long as you don't try to sell it to them? It seems kinda vague.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 30, 2011

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I think they let free traders be "free" at the danger of being nailed to a crucifix if they go too far. Trade is crucial for everyone, even moreso in the goddamn nuclear wasteland so i doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot by enslaving trader families or such. Though the Roman empire had this tendency of keeping vassal state heirs as "wards" so it might be the case aswell.

I wanted to like the Legion before playing the game, expected something with its own nobility and such but it turned out to be a bad dudes in skirts except the Ceasars babble about NCR.

They are just too goddamn evil to join and maybe the wasteland wanderer me in the future might have opted to join them because the other option seems to being flayed alive but current me just snipes the fuckers from a safe distance.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
I think the main thing underlining NCR victory is that they're killing themselves with their constant drive east. Sure, they won the Mojave, and now the people there are going to live in relative peace and stability, but it glorifies Kimball's expansionism (and Oliver's block-headed dipshit-rear end tactics). The NCR aren't going to stop with the Mojave: they want America, and then where?

Ultimately that's NCR's real flaw. Cut them off in the Mojave, toss Oliver off the dam, send them back (and don't turn Hanlon in so he can denounce Kimball's expansionism with a clear name) and let them run their own land the way that's best for everyone :)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dush posted:

I think the main thing underlining NCR victory is that they're killing themselves with their constant drive east. Sure, they won the Mojave, and now the people there are going to live in relative peace and stability, but it glorifies Kimball's expansionism (and Oliver's block-headed dipshit-rear end tactics). The NCR aren't going to stop with the Mojave: they want America, and then where?

Ultimately that's NCR's real flaw. Cut them off in the Mojave, toss Oliver off the dam, send them back (and don't turn Hanlon in so he can denounce Kimball's expansionism with a clear name) and let them run their own land the way that's best for everyone :)

Don't worry; I'm sure the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel will gently caress the NCR over if they ever get that far. I don't think some NCR conscripts will do well against dudes with whatever modified Enclave Power Armor and weapons the Captial Wasteland BoS is going to have. :v:

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

closeted republican posted:

Don't worry; I'm sure the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel will gently caress the NCR over if they ever get that far. I don't think some NCR conscripts will do well against dudes with whatever modified Enclave Power Armor and weapons the Captial Wasteland BoS is going to have. :v:

No shut up that's not canon :suicide:

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

They broke the Brotherhood in the seat of its power, they can do it again. Although, given the less technophobic nature of the Capital BoS and the fact that an NCR ending of New Vegas can involve a degree of reconciliation with the Mojave Chapter, its not unreasonable to expect such a meeting could go peacefully.

I think its a little silly to claim that the NCR's expansion will inevitably kill them. Manifest destiny didn't end that way the first time.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Noted Literally posted:

They broke the Brotherhood in the seat of its power, they can do it again. Although, given the less technophobic nature of the Capital BoS and the fact that an NCR ending of New Vegas can involve a degree of reconciliation with the Mojave Chapter, its not unreasonable to expect such a meeting could go peacefully.

I think its a little silly to claim that the NCR's expansion will inevitably kill them. Manifest destiny didn't end that way the first time.

Technically it did in the Fallout timeline. It sure wasn't diplomacy and respect for other nations that sparked the apocalypse.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dush posted:

No shut up that's not canon :suicide:

I don't even want to ask but I have a morbid curiosity...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Noted Literally posted:

Manifest destiny didn't have to compete with ten-foot tall monsters roaming the plains, packs of feral ghouls, or constant radiation sickness. Also worth noting that natural resources and production are meager to almost non-existent and the NCR uaity-of-life is basically running off the fumes of the remnants of pre-war America.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The capital wasteland brotherhood is poo poo, their power armor is poo poo, their motivations are poo poo, and nobody likes them not even other brotherhood chapters and I hope they die.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brotherhood Outcasts are the best because their black power armor makes them 29% cooler than every other power armor.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

I don't even want to ask but I have a morbid curiosity...

I'm sure NMA has cooked up some bullshit reason why F3 isn't canon. I'll see if I can dig up some dumb reason they made that the people here will agree with.

Imagine that; NMA and SA agreeing with each other. :v:

Noted Literally
May 25, 2005
I'm so confused...

Dush posted:

Technically it did in the Fallout timeline. It sure wasn't diplomacy and respect for other nations that sparked the apocalypse.

Nah that empires laying exclusive claims to resources, same as the first pair of World Wars.

Wolfsheim posted:

Manifest destiny didn't have to compete with ten-foot tall monsters roaming the plains, packs of feral ghouls, or constant radiation sickness. Also worth noting that natural resources and production are meager to almost non-existent and the NCR uaity-of-life is basically running off the fumes of the remnants of pre-war America.

My impression is that NCR does in fact have industry and agriculture, hence the mass-produced armor and weaponry for their armies, and being able to support a sizeable population.

I'm not arguing that success is certain, just that failure isn't guaranteed. Although if I had to bet, I'm guessing that if enough games get made we'll end up with several competing states, to keep things interesting.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Galewolf posted:

I think they let free traders be "free" at the danger of being nailed to a crucifix if they go too far. Trade is crucial for everyone, even moreso in the goddamn nuclear wasteland so i doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot by enslaving trader families or such. Though the Roman empire had this tendency of keeping vassal state heirs as "wards" so it might be the case aswell.

If you combine this with the fact that their currency is literally the most valuable in the wasteland (NCR Bux are down after the Brotherhood blew up the Gold Reserves, Legion Coin is made of precious metal), I think you can justify a Legion run pretty well.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I will happily deny that Fallout 3 is canon. A fun game on its own it was, but it was dumb. :p

I think the thing about the Legion is that it's... well, how much can one trust Caesar really? The guy is crazy but he also claims that the Legion will change after destroying the NCR, turning more of its attention to its citizens and such. Meanwhile, Ulysses thinks that the Legion will turn on itself once it finally reaches the shores of the West.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I just got the Plasma Defender. poo poo owns :c00lbert:

Also, taking bloody mess is the best. I shot a dude with the defender, and he exploded into bits, then the bits melted into goo. Science!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Leinadi posted:

I will happily deny that Fallout 3 is canon. A fun game on its own it was, but it was dumb. :p

I think the thing about the Legion is that it's... well, how much can one trust Caesar really? The guy is crazy but he also claims that the Legion will change after destroying the NCR, turning more of its attention to its citizens and such. Meanwhile, Ulysses thinks that the Legion will turn on itself once it finally reaches the shores of the West.

This is assuming that Caesar actually lives to see the Pacific and that his tumor hasn't killed him yet. If he dies, doesn't Lanius take his place?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Leinadi posted:

I'd trust the guy who actually served and seen what's going on instead of the leader. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's stated that Caesar's Legion will destroy itself once Caesar dies. Basically, they're hosed no matter what; if they destroy the NCR, they'll start having a civil war amongst themselves, and if Caesar dies before they get there, they'll lose their purpose for fighting because Caesar was the only one that actually knew what the Legion's ultimate goal is. Without him, the Legion is just a band of very violent and cruel tribals who only worked together because Caesar made them do so.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd trust the guy who actually served and seen what's going on instead of the leader. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's stated that Caesar's Legion will destroy itself once Caesar dies. Basically, they're hosed no matter what; if they destroy the NCR, they'll start having a civil war amongst themselves, and if Caesar dies before they get there, they'll lose their purpose for fighting because Caesar was the only one that actually knew what the Legion's ultimate goal is. Without him, the Legion is just a band of very violent and cruel tribals who only worked together because Caesar made them do so.

I like to think that if the Courier sides with the Legion, that the Courier is essentially the Augustus Caesar of the Legion. Caesar got the ball rolling, but Augustus took it and ran like his head was on fire.

It would have been an interesting ending for the Legion. Far better than the Got your head put on a coin ending. If you killed Caesar, you could wage a coup d'etat against Lanius and the other field commanders after running off the NCR and end up controlling the Legion. Your karma level and previous quest decisions could have either had you steering it towards settling and becoming a developing Empire in truth, keeping it roughly the same, or foregoing all pretenses of being a nation and instead turning into a massive barbarian horde that roamed, raped, and pillaged the outlying NCR territories.

I'm really kind of sore about the Legion in general. It has tons of potential and as a new faction you didn't have to worry so much about retconning old material. But it really gets castrated for the sake of having a clear antagonist to the NCR.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Wolfsheim posted:

For the record, your NCR rep resets when you actually talk to Crocker, not the guy outside the Lucky 38. I know this because I walked in the embassy at 'Sneering Punk' status with every MP in the building calling me an rear end in a top hat and telling me to leave, and then after speaking to him for two minutes they were patting me on the back and I was 'Accepted'. Word travels fast, I guess.

I was "Idolised" with both NCR and Legion before Lonesome Road, "Wild Child" after; when I hit the Tops, Sharp-Dressed Legion Man and Generic NCR MP both roll up on me, and upon checking after their dialogues, I was back to "Idolised" again.

So, I went ahead and killed all the Forlorn Hope officers, rescued the NCR prisoners at Nelson, blew away Dead Sea from behind, and completed one of the Gun Runners Arsenal challenges by spearing almost every named Ranger and a few NCR officers in the head.

I are a People Person. :downs: Dead People. :black101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The way I'm currently angling towards ending things, I want to support NCR against the Legion but I want New Vegas itself to be independent. I haven't really decided who I want to be "in charge" of an Independent Vegas yet, so I was happy to see with careful quest management I can put off the decision till I've gone down both paths a bit.

It just feels right that Vegas should be independent, it feels like a Vegas thing to do/be.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The way I'm currently angling towards ending things, I want to support NCR against the Legion but I want New Vegas itself to be independent. I haven't really decided who I want to be "in charge" of an Independent Vegas yet, so I was happy to see with careful quest management I can put off the decision till I've gone down both paths a bit.

It just feels right that Vegas should be independent, it feels like a Vegas thing to do/be.

The NCR always fights the Legion regardless of anything you do, no 'angling' required. As for independent Vegas, you don't actually pick who runs it, its always watched over by Yes Man and the Securitron army. You just get the option to say either "leave this group alone" or "I just killed the poo poo out of this group." You don't get to give it to anyone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My ideal ending is passing securitron control to the Followers of Apocalypse. Why can't I do this, Rope Kid? :smith:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Leinadi posted:

In ED-E My Love and Lonesome Road you can find out ED-E came from that Enclave base you nuked in Broken Steel, sorry man. Also Veronica mentions the Outcast Civil War if you chat her up.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Berk Berkly posted:

Hell, have you played Old World Blues? If a apocalyptic toaster and a hedonistic bio-lab, and light switches with jealousy issues doesn't change your perspective, I don't know what will.

The devices in The Sink are not sentient or AIs, you can find that out in a conversation with the butler program. Mobius apparently deliberately designed them with quirky pre-programmed conversational options.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

The devices in The Sink are not sentient or AIs, you can find that out in a conversation with the butler program. Mobius apparently deliberately designed them with quirky pre-programmed conversational options.

Muggy might be different, though, since 0 made him, not Mobius.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerusalem posted:

Vegas isn't Vegas if it's not run by ruthless mobsters. And by process of elimination, I'm the biggest mob around. :black101: :gibs:

And I, too, just recently discovered Vault 11, completely randomly while exploring on a new playthrough. That's pretty hosed up. I actually slightly misjudged the Shocking Twist at the end; I was expecting it to exile you or be some big test of courage without actually killing you, so I was still sitting in the chair with about 15 HP left when the movie ended.

I've also found that Max Charge cells in the YCS/186 makes me a happy energy weapons user, albeit one with a crippling weapon repair kit addiction.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I'm thinking about modifying my actual toaster with some kind of small speaker and loading a device with sound files from the game sometime when I have a day off work. I'm not telling my girlfriend anything about it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My ideal ending is passing securitron control to the Followers of Apocalypse. Why can't I do this, Rope Kid? :smith:

The followers are too idealistic and would probably gently caress it up somehow.
The correct answer of course is to give Vegas to the King.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SpRahl posted:

The followers are too idealistic and would probably gently caress it up somehow.
The correct answer of course is to give Vegas to the King.

Kinda hard to give Vegas to a dead man :smug:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I took Vegas just fine, thank you very much.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You and me, at noon, revolvers. King is the coolest cat in Vegas and you must pay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, King is the most chill sonuvabitch, even when you bring up what a oval office Pacer is, he's pretty much,"Yeah that's true but I can't blame him and he's a good buddy to me :)"

Plus he's so happy when you bring Rex back :unsmith:

Assumethisisreal
May 21, 2007
GRA is great and all, but am I the only one annoyed that I the new mods only work on GRA guns? I mean, I know that the bethblog poked fun at it already, but really, why can't I put these nails through any baseball bat?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Assumethisisreal posted:

GRA is great and all, but am I the only one annoyed that I the new mods only work on GRA guns? I mean, I know that the bethblog poked fun at it already, but really, why can't I put these nails through any baseball bat?

Dude via FormSpring asked: posted:

WMX/E pulled off new mods a hell of a lot better than GRA did. Seriously, how hard is it to just make the old weapons moddable, rather than spamming a bunch of new ones that are EXACTLY THE SAME?

J.E. Sawyer via FormSpring posted: posted:

The engine used for Fallout: New Vegas handles load order for .esm/.esp files differently on each platform (PC, PS3, Xbox 360). For purposes of this discussion, let's talk about the three that are relevant: FalloutNV.esm (the master .esm for Fallout: New Vegas), Update.esm (the patch) and GunRunnersArsenal.esm.

When we modify a form that exists in the base FalloutNV.esm and save it off in a new .esm, the base ID remains the same between the two so the engine understands that they are fundamentally the same form. When the engine loads the game, it loads the forms in FalloutNV.esm FIRST. After FalloutNV.esm is done loading, it starts to load in the other .esms. In this case, it loads Update.esm and GunRunnersArsenal.esm. If one of these .esms contains a form with the same base ID as a form in FalloutNV.esm, that form is overridden.

However, the platforms load these data files in a different order, and not consistently. If both Update.esm and GunRunnersArsenal.esm contained a form with the same base ID (e.g. a weapon that was previously patched), the engine may load the one in Update.esm last or the one in GunRunnersArsenal.esm last. If it loaded the one in Update.esm, it wouldn't matter that there were mods associated with the form in GunRunnersArsenal.esm.

In the not-so-terrible case, you get weapons that seemingly haphazardly have old stats/old mods or new stats/new mods. In the worst case, data in one .esm that relies on data in another loads first, attempts to reference the other data, can't find anything (because it hasn't loaded) and hangs or crashes the game.

On PCs, this is not an issue because there's a single platform and users can manually adjust their load order. For Gun Runners' Arsenal, creating GRA versions of weapons was the safest way to add items without generating a huge list of load order issues on different platforms.

I was going to paraphrase it but this is much better.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, King is the most chill sonuvabitch, even when you bring up what a oval office Pacer is, he's pretty much,"Yeah that's true but I can't blame him and he's a good buddy to me :)"

Plus he's so happy when you bring Rex back :unsmith:

The King is the most goony sonuvabitch, he sits around running his little cosplay kingdom while all his buddies gently caress everything up without him realizing it. I went in really trying to like him, but he's just so loving thick that I took his dog and never came back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The King is the most goony sonuvabitch, he sits around running his little cosplay kingdom while all his buddies gently caress everything up without him realizing it. I went in really trying to like him, but he's just so loving thick that I took his dog and never came back.

The King is pure in motivation, one of the only people in Mojave who is. He found a building dedicated to an incredibly cool man who people worshiped, and he decided he wanted to emulate that great man and pass on his message of having a good time, singing, dancing and making out with pretty girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money
I wonder how many more times rope kid's gonna have to explain the .esm/.esp conflict thing. :sigh: Patience of a saint.

edit: should've included an explanation as an in-game note with GRA.