Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Yeticopter posted:

GTA4's over-the-top ridiculous violence was equally its charm and its demise. Playing that game today, it just feels stupid to shoot at the SWAT team and hit a guy 10+ times with an assault rifle and he gets right up. Vehicular damage wasn't too different. If you get in a 100+ mph head-on collision that car sure as poo poo shouldn't be able to drive. In RDR, if you shot a dude in the chest with a rifle, he stays the gently caress down. In LA Noire, if you have a too-hard head on collision the car's totalled.

I'm all for more visceral and lethal gunplay, but vehicles should remain on the side of fun and utility over realism. Crashing at 100mph and flying out of the windshield is great, but if the car is useless and there's not another one nearby, I'm probably going to just be annoyed rather than appreciate the realistic damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jesus christ I don't get people slagging off the shooting controls and cover system, unless you're all playing on consoles. The one problem I had was occasionally snapping to the wrong wall - apart from that it moved fairly fluidly and the 'LMB = blindfire, RMB = stand up and shoot' controls were no problem. Is it that much different on a PC?

The one thing that annoyed me about GTAIV the lack of mission checkpoints. I found I had no problem with driving to a mission because I enjoyed hearing the dialogue, but once I've driven it once I don't want to do it again. (that and the loving last mission and the 'climb into the chopper oh what's that the controls are hosed oh well bye' glitch :argh:)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

trandorian posted:

It takes like 2 hours to get to Algonquin and then you have pretty much everything unlocked. But there was also plenty to do on the East Island + Bohan by themselves. In San Andreas you didn't get to most of the good stuff until you'd already completed 4 (Los Santos I, Wilderness, San Fierro, Desert) out of the game's 6 acts.

You barely had anything unlocked of note until just before you could start the Las Venturas missions in SA.

GTA games never have everything unlocked right away but if you feel you need that Rockstar is glad to include cheats to use.

Which ties into my point that there's bugger all to unlock. A slightly better gun, a different selection of brown jumpers, different grey scenery, and it still takes a pretty long time to get all that (it's longer than two hours) and what you have to do to unlock isn't really fun (here, drive this annoying character somewhere). I didn't particularly like San Anderas, even at the time, the game's pace was too slow for me, but across the overly long campaign, you unlock a pretty wide variety of things and places and stuff to do. 4 years, and millions of dollars later, across a slightly shorter campaign in GTA 4, you unlock basically nothing. Or at least, nothing that couldn't have been unlocked straight away.
Basically, GTA 4 is the biggest waste of talent and technology I've played. It was still obeying conventions they established in GTA 3 (like having a lot of very uninteresting "drive point a-b missions) without noticing what else was in the genre at the time. It gave you a big playground without putting anything to do in it (yes, you can pick fights, you can do that in every sandbox game, along with lots of other things) and had fewer unlocks than previous games in the series. It felt like a teched up GTA 3, but that doesn't quite describe it either, since GTA 3 had A. A lot more to do, and B. a sense of fun.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

mrpwase posted:

Jesus christ I don't get people slagging off the shooting controls and cover system, unless you're all playing on consoles.

Guess what systems most of us played GTAIV on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y474rwjiCio

Here's 360 gameplay.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snowman_McK posted:

GTA 3 had A. A lot more to do

Wow if you had just admitted you were trolling from the start we wouldn't have needed to have this conversation! GTA 3 didn't even have motorcycles.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

trandorian posted:

Wow if you had just admitted you were trolling from the start we wouldn't have needed to have this conversation! GTA 3 didn't even have motorcycles.

Irrelevant.

GTA3 had numerous assassination missions, every 10 hidden packages you found you unlocked something at your hideout, you had paramedics, vigilante, taxi cab, and firetruck missions all with their own distinct rewards, unlockables such as bullet proof and fire proof vehicles could be obtained, random odd jobs like rc cars, rampages and more.

GTA3 has far more content and variety than GTAIV has to offer.

Your move.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Himuro posted:

Irrelevant.

GTA3 had numerous assassination missions, every 10 hidden packages you found you unlocked something at your hideout, you had paramedics, vigilante, taxi cab, and firetruck missions all with their own distinct rewards, unlockables such as bullet proof and fire proof vehicles could be obtained, random odd jobs like rc cars, rampages and more.

Your move.

GTA IV has assassination missions, money is so plentiful that you're never lacking in weapons (but you can go hunt pigeons), you have vigilantes, taxi cabs, unlockables such as attack helicopters, random odd jobs with pedestrians, and whatever you mean by more (I guess drug running, car stealing, and races?).

Rampages are missing, but I don't really see a difference between them and just taking a bunch of guns and blowing poo poo up on your free time.

Just about everything you mentioned is still there, though, just without the rewards.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What's the point without rewards? The whole point of the sandbox genre to me, is loving around and getting more toys for my trouble.

GTAIV has assassination missions but barely any assassination missions at all and they're left for the tail end of the game.

While you can do taxi cab missions for Roman, you don't get anything for doing them, and once you get to a certain point you can't do cab missions at all because the game won't let you.

I can't think of getting anything for doing vigilante missions either.

Fact of the matter is that GTAIV is a very lopsided game in terms of content and variety.

I think Red Dead Redemption did all of this right. GTAIV was a step in the wrong direction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

Irrelevant.

Your move.

Working taxi service beats taxi missions. There's tons of assassination missions in IV. You unlock side mission and hidden package type buffs by friend interactions in IV.

GTA 3 has nowhere near as much content, flat out. I've 100%-ed the whole game and only had 40 hours on the clock. And the lack of copters and motorcycles and being able to loving swim are huge turnoffs, along with GTA III being such a tiny and barely detailed play area.

GTA SA has more content, but no other GTA game has as much content as IV besides SA. GTA III has the least content of any GTA game since, well, itself.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

You do these things because they're fun to do? That's what games are for, I thought. Rewards can make the experience more fun, but they're hardly necessary.

San Andreas does have an obscene amount of variety, though. I missed property management (and, generally, money sinks).

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How does the taxi service beat taxi missions? I thought the taxi service was tedious because you have such huge ground to cover and so few fares, that it's over before it ever becomes remotely a challenge.

As for side missions, I don't want to go bowling with some cop chick in order to unlock the ability to keep my stuff if I end up getting busted and I don't want to keep hanging out with her to keep this perk either. It feels like in GTAIV, with a few exceptions, they turned the entire fun of exploring the world to find cool stuff to do and unlock into one tedious time sink.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

How does the taxi service beat taxi missions? I thought the taxi service was tedious because you have such huge ground to cover and so few fares, that it's over before it ever becomes remotely a challenge.

Well I don't know about you but I prefer being able to take taxi rides around the city to having to drive all the time. Especially if I just want to get to a certain shop or minigame.

Did you know you can do drivebys while riding in a taxi?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

trandorian posted:

Well I don't know about you but I prefer being able to take taxi rides around the city to having to drive all the time. Especially if I just want to get to a certain shop or minigame.

Did you know you can do drivebys while riding in a taxi?

Well to me, in a game like Grand Theft Auto, I'd rather drive as it has always been a fundamental part of the experience. But I use the taxi and skip my trip all the time in GTAIV rather than driving because driving 10 minutes from Algonquin to Broker is tedious and boring.

The one thing I loved about the taxi service was the driver. Holy poo poo, that guy owned.

http://youtu.be/gVBYm_mdzf8

I love this guy.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
See the thing is, Liberty City in GTA IV is actually big enough that driving takes a non-trivial amount of time. The map is half the size of San Andreas, but it's also way more, well, filled than San Andreas (incidentally, I really like that streets in GTA IV have actual names). I hated that there wasn't a good way in San Andreas to get from one city to the next fast besides driving out to the airport, but in IV to go a similar distance yo just flag down a taxi and get right where you wanted to go.

By the way, the helicopter tour guys and the other taxi drivers are pretty great too.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I dunno man. Maybe it's the cars I drive in GTAIV, but I don't have fun driving at all in that game, especially if it's a long distance mission.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

I dunno man. Maybe it's the cars I drive in GTAIV, but I don't have fun driving at all in that game, especially if it's a long distance mission.
The Sultan RS always spawns near the old house behind the garage in the north-east corner Alderney. Fill your parking spots with them.

Cage fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 1, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mrpwase posted:

Jesus christ I don't get people slagging off the shooting controls and cover system, unless you're all playing on consoles. The one problem I had was occasionally snapping to the wrong wall - apart from that it moved fairly fluidly and the 'LMB = blindfire, RMB = stand up and shoot' controls were no problem. Is it that much different on a PC?

Of course it is. You can't compare getting in a firefight with a mouse+keyboard to having to gun down waves of cops after you with a joypad. Ever since GTA3 (when I was forced to) I buy gta games for playstation first, then get them on pc the moment they're ported. The driving may not be quite as fun with a keyboard, as I think we went over recently, but the combat doesn't even compare. The games are always way easier on pc and look way better. I don't think I even used the cover system on the pc. It's just easier to run right out and headshot everyone.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Himuro posted:

Are you playing the PC version? Car handling is much more realistic than the older GTA games, and requires the smooth transitional inputs of the joysticks/triggers. I remember downloading VC when it was first on Steam and how I couldn't play the game for crap since the car was jerking left and right thanks to the keyboard. In real life you couldn't control a car, especially a very fast one, if you're mashing the throttle and flinging the steering wheel like some mightily powerful retard, so why the hell would it work in a video game?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For what it's worth I found GTA IV to be the first time the console version controlled almost as well as the PC version.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

trandorian posted:

See the thing is, Liberty City in GTA IV is actually big enough that driving takes a non-trivial amount of time. The map is half the size of San Andreas, but it's also way more, well, filled than San Andreas (incidentally, I really like that streets in GTA IV have actual names).

One thing I liked a lot about SA was the empty spaces between towns. It made the game feel much more realistic than even IV at points when you drive out and see the hinterlands. Of course I wasn't always in the mood for it, but it was a lot of fun to just drive as fast as possible through the desert sometimes. I wish they had kept something like that in the series (maybe a Long Island type area or something) because I really did feel like IV had way too little land.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cage posted:

The Sultan RS always spawns near the old house behind the garage in the north-east corner Alderney. Fill your parking spots with them.

For people finding the Brucie races a challenge and just want to win, if you order one up while in the Sultan RS, most of the time you'll be up against other lovely cars.
Not every race will be capable of this cheese, but enough to balm some frayed nerves.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
IV is weird. It tries to be realistic and serious but at the end of the day you still have the statue of liberty with a coffee cup and a big rear end grin across her face. It's like the game lacked vision and the creators didn't know what they wanted to do: a full on reinvention of GTA or a mish mash of old and new.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mrpwase posted:

Jesus christ I don't get people slagging off the shooting controls and cover system, unless you're all playing on consoles.

On the PS3 I really liked the shooting controls, for someone with the reflexes of a RPG fan it was accessable enough that I never found it frustrating. I get why people with better twitch skills might dislike them, but they suited me well.

Someone mentioned it last page but I wouldn't mind seeing Saints Row and GTA split the genre a little. Saints Row has the wacky fun elements covered, I'm not sure Rockstar can or should try to compete with that. I'd be a happy gamer if I could play a supervillain in Saints Row 3, and Scarface in GTA5.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I once was bored and started watching tv in the game. I think I watched a program for 15 minutes and it still wasn't over. It amazes me the amount of stuff that you can actually do besides the main game in GTA4

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
This might be asked a lot in here but I can't find any reliable results on google. But is there any way to get widescreen to work with San Andreas?

I have my laptop (1600x900) and I occasionally play with an external monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Cage posted:

This is one of the best cars for MP dickery due to its guaranteed spawn and stupidly good characteristics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McIsIYlmv30&feature=channel_video_title

Also buses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMMK4vvDwc&feature=channel_video_title

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

BGrifter posted:

Someone mentioned it last page but I wouldn't mind seeing Saints Row and GTA split the genre a little. Saints Row has the wacky fun elements covered, I'm not sure Rockstar can or should try to compete with that. I'd be a happy gamer if I could play a supervillain in Saints Row 3, and Scarface in GTA5.

Yeah this. I liked the story in vanilla GTAIV (I'm crazy I know) and would like them to continue along that slightly more serious line.

This thread finally made me break down and buy EFLC, and TLAD is loving amazing. The riding minigames, the grenade launcher, larger firefights than vanilla, it's incredible. Can't wait for TBOGT.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Imapanda posted:

This might be asked a lot in here but I can't find any reliable results on google. But is there any way to get widescreen to work with San Andreas?

I have my laptop (1600x900) and I occasionally play with an external monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.

San Andreas came out before widescreen was standard or something and the pc version lacks it. You can hack it, but if I remember, you can't really go beyond say...1600 or so in terms of resolution. The funny thing is that I have no problem playing 3 or VC in widescreen.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Imapanda posted:

Set the resolution to 1920x1080 and widescreen to "on?" That's all I had to do.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
So I'm playing through the GTA III/VC/SA series for a lark.

Everything's basically working fine, except for one thing. I'm playing on a Dualshock with one of those PS2 > USB adaptors, and for whatever reason, the game has the right analog controls backwards - up/down is left/right, and left/right is up/down.

In the first two this is a minor annoyance, but I can already anticipate wanting to kill myself when trying to play SA with a hosed-up right analog.

Is there anything I can do to reverse the Z and Zr axises? I've seen a registry hack floating around, but that would mess up the joystick controls in the other games I play, so that's not really an option unless it can be distilled into a one-click solution.

Also, is there any way to map the pause-menu to the controller (short of Joytokey)?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

So I'm playing through the GTA III/VC/SA series for a lark.

Everything's basically working fine, except for one thing. I'm playing on a Dualshock with one of those PS2 > USB adaptors, and for whatever reason, the game has the right analog controls backwards - up/down is left/right, and left/right is up/down.

In the first two this is a minor annoyance, but I can already anticipate wanting to kill myself when trying to play SA with a hosed-up right analog.

Is there anything I can do to reverse the Z and Zr axises? I've seen a registry hack floating around, but that would mess up the joystick controls in the other games I play, so that's not really an option unless it can be distilled into a one-click solution.

Also, is there any way to map the pause-menu to the controller (short of Joytokey)?

Yeah mine always did that, but it was never an issue to me because i switched to mouse+kb when I wasn't driving. Are you saying you're playing on a pc and choosing to use a joypad for combat? or do you need the right stick for flight controls or something I'm not thinking of? Either way, I don't know a workaround, sorry.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

davebo posted:

Are you saying you're playing on a pc and choosing to use a joypad for combat?

Yep. I played through all of them on PS2, and the DualShock controls just "feel right". To be honest, the auto-aim controls have never really bugged me much, and I really prefer them to trying to precision aim like it's some sort of first person shooter.

Maybe sinking over 200 hours into GTA III (inarguably the worst auto-aim of the bunch) back in the day sorta broke me :shobon:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I never played GTA on the PS2, but while I definitely prefer mouse and keyboard, the autoaim system works about as well as I could hope for on the PSP. The camera occasionally makes things difficult (mostly because of the single thumbstick) but the targeting is responsive and easy to handle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moms pubis posted:

Set the resolution to 1920x1080 and widescreen to "on?" That's all I had to do.

My copy of GTA SA off Steam maxes at 1680x1050 but otherwise this holds true.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I use a gamepad for the "3 era" GTA games, mostly because of planes/helicopters and autoaim/shooting being so easy anyway.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

davebo posted:

Yeah mine always did that, but it was never an issue to me because i switched to mouse+kb when I wasn't driving. Are you saying you're playing on a pc and choosing to use a joypad for combat? or do you need the right stick for flight controls or something I'm not thinking of? Either way, I don't know a workaround, sorry.

There are multiple Joytokey variants that can change your controllers axis(es) around. I use Xpadder (originally for X360 controllers, but supports the sixaxis as well IIRC). You can use profiles for it, so you can turn it on or off for each .exe.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

Samopsa posted:

There are multiple Joytokey variants that can change your controllers axis(es) around. I use Xpadder (originally for X360 controllers, but supports the sixaxis as well IIRC). You can use profiles for it, so you can turn it on or off for each .exe.

Xpadder seems promising, but I'd much rather not pay :10bux: for something until I knew for a fact that it'd work - and I don't use a sixaxis or PS3 DualShock, I use the PS2 DualShock through a $5 no-name adapter. :ohdear:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Xpadder seems promising, but I'd much rather not pay :10bux: for something until I knew for a fact that it'd work - and I don't use a sixaxis or PS3 DualShock, I use the PS2 DualShock through a $5 no-name adapter. :ohdear:
Old versions are available for free, try softpedia for instance. It should support most gamepads.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

trandorian posted:

My copy of GTA SA off Steam maxes at 1680x1050 but otherwise this holds true.
Must be a driver thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

moms pubis posted:

Must be a driver thing.

I had to downgrade it to version 1.0 for it to work with my resolution. :/

• Locked thread