Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

koollook124 posted:

Wait, what the F?! Don't think I've seen one of these before, kinda neat though imo.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/2619968562.html

Bunch of them down here in TX. Used for towing 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers while still being able to provide some van functionality. Particularly useful for rodeo folks towing a large horse trailer, or using with a travel trailer.
They kind of declined when crew-cab pickups became more common and more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Popped up when I was randomly browsing:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ330616905350

familialincest.jpg?

Regardless, with his pretend Porsche and hang gliding exploits, this guy is living the life.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

Bomb-Bunny posted:

Regardless, with his pretend Porsche and hang gliding exploits, this guy is living the life.

Ha, well it does make the cutest lil' Porsche.

Made me think of this:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

koollook124 posted:

Wait, what the F?! Don't think I've seen one of these before, kinda neat though imo.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/2619968562.html

I love how its an Econoline with Chevy C-10 Tailights.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

DIBS!

In all seriousness, I've been looking for a fun car/project for a little while, and this isn't far from me. How loving stupid of an idea would this be? I left the seller a voicemail and expect to hear back tomorrow, but drat if I'm not exited about it!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Can those Corollas really deal with that much torque? I'm sure some work was done at least for the new rear, but I can just picture that car collapsing in half and shooting the rear axle out the front if it actually hooked up.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Mutar posted:

DIBS!

In all seriousness, I've been looking for a fun car/project for a little while, and this isn't far from me. How loving stupid of an idea would this be? I left the seller a voicemail and expect to hear back tomorrow, but drat if I'm not exited about it!

I wish you luck because i dont have the money, or anyone to convince that would make a hilariously fun car. I will live vicariously through you if you manage to buy it.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Boat posted:

If this dude replaced the hood mural with one of Rainbow Dash, he could probably sell it for that amount to some crazed brony with more money than sense.

thanks for teaching me a this awful new term for horrible retards

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Abominable! posted:

I wish you luck because i dont have the money, or anyone to convince that would make a hilariously fun car. I will live vicariously through you if you manage to buy it.

Turns out there aren't all that many 1980 Corolla's with 454 swaps around, and I was able to find some more info - sounds like it maxes out at about 65MPH at 4,000 RPM, so highway driving would be, well, unfortunate. Supposedly gets to 65 in about 4 seconds though...

I wonder how hard it would be to put in a more streetable rear end... or swap the 3spd auto with something more T-5/T-56 esque... or both?

God this is either the best or worst thing I've considered buying. There is no middle ground.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Sounds nice enough. The parts to make it more cruise worthy i wouldnt be worried about--its the craftmanship. See it in person, or get hilariously detailed photos.

edit; http://majesticspeed.com/on-road/1980-toyota-corolla-defines-sleeper/

Do it for us.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 29, 2011

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2615643686.html

Huh. That's a new swap... I want it, seems like it'd be a total loving hoot to drive.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

T1g4h posted:

Huh. That's a new swap... I want it, seems like it'd be a total loving hoot to drive.

Not much of a swap, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine#Lima_OHC_.28LL.29

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

T1g4h posted:

Removed the EFI for a carburetor and some Home Depot plumbing, how lovely.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

VideoTapir posted:

Not much of a swap, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine#Lima_OHC_.28LL.29

It's new to me because every redneck and their mother around here just drops in a 302 / 351 and calls it good. Turbo'd 4 banger from a Turbo Coupe is at least a novel concept for this area :v:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2622161470.html

quote:

For Sale: 1976 Porsche 912E.

$7,000 OBO--I will also consider trade for another car or truck as payment off some of the price. Please call any time 256.xxx.6750.

The engine is rebuilt 1976 911 Eropean with a little over 1800 miles on it. The car has a minor oil leak, and the transmission shifts great. The rims and tires are after market with about 1800 miles on them. They look brand new--just need a good cleaning. The paint color is red with a few flaws: someone keyed the passenger side door (I think it can be buffed out), there is a paint run by the windsheild, there is a dent and scratch under the passenger door, and a few scratches and tiny chips along the car. It has an electric sunroof and mirrors. The interior is black, and the seats have been redone with the porsche emblem sewn onto the headrests. The radio head unit is broken and one of the air vents is missing. The headliner is in ok shape, but the sunvizors are ripped in one place. All lights work. The car has been lowered. The bumper guards and rubber trim and gas tank are all new.

The car is a blast to drive and I drove it across two states to get it here. Where ever you go, it turns heads. I also have over $30,000 in receipts from the previous owner. The car was an award winner in the 2009 Food Lion Auto Fair.

Shipping is pick up or shipping company only.
Payment is personal check, cashier check or cash only.

This is a scam, right? Or a joke or something?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Synonamess Botch posted:

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2622161470.html

This is a scam, right? Or a joke or something?
So does that mean it has a 356 motor, 911 motor, or ACVW? From a distance it would probably fool a lot of people, but it sure sounds like a piece of poo poo for $7000.

My favorite part is its prestigious "award winner in the 2009 Food Lion Auto Fair".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
912E are usually around that price. I don't know what he is blathering on about with the engine swap though. I don't know what you mean by fooling a lot of people as the 912E is a 911 body not that 76 911s are anything special. I avoid all "lowered" cars though.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I wouldn't worry so much about the lowering, there isn't coils you can torch or cut, they just re-set the torsion bars. It would be riding around some bad parts of its camber curve but a 76 912 isn't exactly a monster of handling to start with.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I don't know a lot about Porsches, why is the 912 so poorly regarded/cheap?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Synonamess Botch posted:

It was the stripper model of all stripper models - 4cyl instead of flat 6, less options, heavier, etc.
To be fair, the 76 912e was a one year run.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 29, 2011

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Synonamess Botch posted:

Former '69 912 owner here. It is cheap because it was a 4 cylinder machine. Other than that, it was a near-as-makes-no-difference 911 with fewer features.

It wildly outsold the 911 and just never generated the snob appeal as a result. It actually handles better than the a 911 of the same era, but was indeed slower.

Swapping in the flat six is a pretty common change. It never really made sense to me, the 6s are harder to maintain and much more expensive. The 4 is reliable (tried and true 356 engine, essentially) and gets great mileage too. Both cars are loving slow by modern standards anyway.

Also, 912s are showing wild increases in prices in the last 12 months. Finding a first gen under $10k used to be pretty easy. These days, anything under $10k is likely to have a good bit of rust.

BlackMK4 posted:

It was the stripper model of all stripper models - 4cyl instead of flat 6, less options, heavier, etc.
To be fair, the 76 912e was a one year run.

I don't think the 912s were heavier than any standard 911s.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 29, 2011

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
Only $5000 for a Frankenstein GMC that looks like it needs a lot of work?
I guess he's hoping those "dubble humps" will bring all the boys to the yard

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lowclock posted:

My favorite part is its prestigious "award winner in the 2009 Food Lion Auto Fair".

The Food Lion Auto Fair is a gigantic car show at Lowes Motor Speedway twice a year. While this was likely a trophy winner in his local car club (they provide trophies for showing your cars with a club), the show itself is a pretty awesome place.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Tai-Pan posted:

I don't think the 912s were heavier than any standard 911s.
Eh, you're right. I seem to remember reading they were heavier a while ago. Google tells me that the 76 911S / 912E both weighed 2558lb... then of course the options could offset it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

They are about 250lbs lighter, almost all rear weight.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If I were buying a 1976 Porsche it would be a 912E one because I am poor and 2 because it will run forever except for the fuel injection.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Swapping a (subaru) boxer engine into a 911 is quickly becoming a thing lately. It would be a pretty fun swap, you'd get some condescending scoffs from the air cooled purist guys, though, which could be the best part. I assume it'd be in the $10k-ish range all said and done just like every other swap.

What kind of 911 can you get in the below 20k range these days?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How do they mount the rad and route the hoses in a Subaru swap?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
280Z with a 350 swap that I was looking at buying a couple months ago has come back up on craigslist. Looks like the new owner has run into money troubles, this car is a steal for 3k.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2619106381.html

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

How do they mount the rad and route the hoses in a Subaru swap?

I know a lot of the VW guys who do it to bugs run metal exhaust pipes up to the front and mount a radiator up there. In the late models that had air conditioning, that's where they would put the condensers.

Depending on the costs of the mounting plates to get the transmissions to mate to the subbie engines, the swaps wouldn't be that bad.

I've seen some guys who have done subbie swaps on ACVWs for under $4k for everything. They're usually just swapping in the non-turbo motors though, ej22's if I recall correctly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mutt2jeff posted:

280Z with a 350 swap that I was looking at buying a couple months ago has come back up on craigslist. Looks like the new owner has run into money troubles, this car is a steal for 3k.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2619106381.html
I am (or more accurately, my bank account is) so glad that none of these awesome cars are within a reasonable distance for me to pick up.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Nocheez posted:

I am (or more accurately, my bank account is) so glad that none of these awesome cars are within a reasonable distance for me to pick up.

Fly and buy :colbert:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a camper and found this ad.

I'm not really sure what the gently caress he is offering. He'll drive me and my family of snowbirds from Minnesota to Florida for the winter and hang out with us?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SkunkDuster posted:

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a camper and found this ad.

I'm not really sure what the gently caress he is offering. He'll drive me and my family of snowbirds from Minnesota to Florida for the winter and hang out with us?

That's a terrible deal. The white van man drove me around in his creepy 1970's conversion van and raped me for free.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
$8k, $7k, no $5k...
At least "urthangz brand new." Gotta love Vegas!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2596534802.html

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Try not to look so surprised.

1999 saab 95 5speed - $3200 (sacramento)

Craigslist posted:

119k miles
cold ac
5 speed
everything power and works

runs great

selling dew to cant drive a manual no more clutch pedal is killing my knee arthritis

call denies 519-1403

asking $3200

i can only show the car on the weekend sorry!

The only reason I find this amusing is the rear badging.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I dont get it

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Svenson's Saab?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I think it's in reference to how the lettering isn't centered or spaced right, as if the trunk was wrecked and the badging wasn't applied properly after the repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Bagarthach posted:

$8k, $7k, no $5k...
At least "urthangz brand new." Gotta love Vegas!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2596534802.html

In fairness 455 provided a sweet 185HP, so that car is pretty bad rear end at any price....
Also, didn't the 455 only come with a manual?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 3, 2011