Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The Huqster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
She's a good girl.

I wonder if Brooker just phones Dara O'Briain and says "Dara! Guess what I'm doing!"

He doesn't.

He should.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

His happiness is all well and good, but what about those of us who want to read a man write bad words about people on the TV? <:mad:>

Seriously though, I must admit that I haven't actually read his articles in ages since he changed his focus, in much the same way I didn't really watch Newswipe regularly compared to Screenwipe.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

His happiness is all well and good, but what about those of us who want to read a man write bad words about people on the TV? <:mad:>

Seriously though, I must admit that I haven't actually read his articles in ages since he changed his focus, in much the same way I didn't really watch Newswipe regularly compared to Screenwipe.

Agree with this. I don't really begrudge him happiness or success, but I fell in love with an angry sweary bitter almost-nobody.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BizarroAzrael posted:

She's a good girl.

I wonder if Brooker just phones Dara O'Briain and says "Dara! Guess what I'm doing!"

He doesn't.

He should.

And there is poor Dara, who can't even get past start of Gears Of War crying into his pillow :(.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

She's a good girl.

He doesn't.

He should.

She has issues. So many issues.

Issues I am legally obliged not to discuss.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ChuckDHead posted:

And then there's Embarassing Teenage Bodies. I really can't think of a worse time in a person's life to go on a show like that...

Edit: Speak of the devil, it's on E4+1 now, and dealing with self-harm scars and asymmetric testicles.

But... but Stephen Fry just told me that everyone has asymmetric testicles. :ohdear:

Seriously, it's a show called Embarrassing Bodies, if you really were embarrassed then you sure as hell wouldn't take your manky knob or whatever on the telly. I don't get it.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Whatever. I'm glad they do because that show has taught be a lot about anal fissures. A LOT.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Wormophile posted:

Whatever. I'm glad they do because that show has taught be a lot about anal fissures. A LOT.

I learnt all I needed to know on that subject, and more, by reading Kevin Smith's twitter feed. gently caress that guy.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

I think the best thing that came from it is the fact that the local womens' clinic my buddy works at suddenly saw an influx of middle-aged women finally making appointments to get their prolapsed uteruses and problems with incontinence looked at, after suffering in silence for several decades (seriously, if your cervix tries to make a dash for freedom every time you cough, you have a problem that needs to be checked out).

The general attitude, even among some GPs, prior to this series was "Well, you've spent 20 years popping out babies, this is what's gonna happen to your lady bits, isn't it? Best not to talk about it". And it's not exactly a popular disorder, so you don't see anybody in Holby City or Eastenders suffering from it. But finally having a nice doctor on the telly talking about how common it was, and that it could be fixed gave some ladies the confidence to finally go get it looked at. And that is a good thing, even if the programme itself is a bit surreal.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irisi posted:

I think the best thing that came from it is the fact that the local womens' clinic my buddy works at suddenly saw an influx of middle-aged women finally making appointments to get their prolapsed uteruses and problems with incontinence looked at, after suffering in silence for several decades (seriously, if your cervix tries to make a dash for freedom every time you cough, you have a problem that needs to be checked out).

I like to think that any woman would be sensible enough to go see a doctor if her body starts turning inside out. Please let me keep hold of that fantasy :(

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

14 minutes into the new series of Merlin and we already have a shot of Arthur bare-chested.

This show knows its' audience and panders to it shamelessly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Irisi posted:

14 minutes into the new series of Merlin and we already have a shot of Arthur bare-chested.

This show knows its' audience and panders to it shamelessly.
If that was the case, your sentence would have been about Morgana and Morgause sharing a bath in a stream.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Wormophile posted:

By any chance have you read Bob the Anal Fissure?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Kerbtree posted:

heeeheeheeheeheehee... eurgh.

You guys I really really really hope I never get an anal fissure.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

The Perfect Element posted:

loving hell, when that Sam kid started crying on Educating Essex it made ME cry, it was just heartbreaking.

Which means I'm going to be a loving terrible secondary school teacher when I start on Monday :/

Do you mean Gabriella? Sam was the wee manipulative turd of a boy who I don't think cried. He did put his head down on the desk and shook his shoulders a little to get his exclusion dropped.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kerbtree posted:

I read this whilst drunk last night, was quite an experience.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Metrication posted:

I read this whilst drunk last night, was quite an experience.

me too. I laughed probably far more than I should of

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Apropos of more or less nothing, but does anyone else here think Rufus Hound is a bit of a tit?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Fatkraken posted:

Apropos of more or less nothing, but does anyone else here think Rufus Hound is a bit of a tit?
I think he's funny sometimes, but there have been moments where he really got on my nerves. I listened to some long radio interview with him, something like Desert Island discs (it may have been the Marsha Meets... podcast actually) where he was spouting off pretty half-baked political ideologies that jumped between loony left and borderline fascism, and I remember thinking "this guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about", but that wasn't him actively being a comedian. On things like Celebrity Juice I've always found him good.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I loving can't stand Rufus Hound, he comes across as such a oval office.

ALSO I have a theory. Rufus Hound is a furry.
EXHIBIT A: He changed his name to Rufus Hound. THAT IS TWO DOG NAMES
EXHIBIT B: He has this tattoo of a dog doing stand up comedy on his back
EXHIBIT C: I used to have another piece of evidence but I have forgotten it

My friends be like shut the gently caress up wormophile but I'm all like no guys it's so true.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ive heard you spout the Rufus Hound is a furry thing so many times....

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
THAT IS BECAUSE I AM A loving SOLDIER OF TRUTH

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wormophile posted:

EXHIBIT A: He changed his name to Rufus Hound. THAT IS TWO DOG NAMES
EXHIBIT B: He has this tattoo of a dog doing stand up comedy on his back
EXHIBIT C: I used to have another piece of evidence but I have forgotten it

Well, this is all the evidence I need

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Does anybody else watch 'Only Connect'? I'm getting really good at the first two rounds, so-so at the connecting walls but I'm poo poo at the last round; once those vowels are gone my brain shuts down.

Hickee
Jan 5, 2003
Ned

Irisi posted:

The all time best Don't Tell The Bride episode was the one filmed just down the road from me in Kirkintilloch, which is a depressed grey ex-mining town just outside of Glasgow.

The hapless groom forced his glam bride to have the reception in the local Miners Welfare Social Club, which is the single grimmest place on earth

loving tell me about it, I live a minutes walk from the Miners and have had the unfortunate pleasure of being in it twice in the year that I moved into my girlfriends flat here. Utter shithole.

No wonder the Bride was so loving pissed at the thought of going in there for her reception, I like to think she eventually just put on a brave face and pretended she was overjoyed when she walked into it and gave her bloke a good kick in the balls when the cameras were turned off.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
The last round of Only Connect is the easiest for my family. Alas they've gone on holiday for a month, so I'll stave off it until November. Being a judo Dan grade has paid off a couple of times in the first round, so maybe take that up?

I will actually be watching BBC3 and the travesty of Don't Tell The Bride this week as one of my co-workers is the Groom's mother. Spoiler alert: They get married.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Z-Magic posted:

Does anybody else watch 'Only Connect'? I'm getting really good at the first two rounds, so-so at the connecting walls but I'm poo poo at the last round; once those vowels are gone my brain shuts down.

I am loving brilliant at the no-vowels round (as long as I know the subject matter). We should form a goon team. And now that I've typed it I'm thinking it's actually a pretty cool idea.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Yeah the no-vowels round is easy for me too, I can just read them off (also as long as I know the subject matter), there's no skill involved. It must be a neural thing, the way your brain processes language and spelling.

The only time I sometimes need a second is when the missing vowel is the first letter (like say "rdvrk" for aardvark or something), then I don't automatically recognise the word.

What pisses me off with Only Connect is how they try to guess with one clue. It's impossible, you will never get it. Say "next" as soon as it comes up, why are you trying to spot the connection between something and literally anything else.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Hoops posted:

Yeah the no-vowels round is easy for me too, I can just read them off (also as long as I know the subject matter), there's no skill involved. It must be a neural thing, the way your brain processes language and spelling.

The only time I sometimes need a second is when the missing vowel is the first letter (like say "rdvrk" for aardvark or something), then I don't automatically recognise the word.

What pisses me off with Only Connect is how they try to guess with one clue. It's impossible, you will never get it. Say "next" as soon as it comes up, why are you trying to spot the connection between something and literally anything else.

I've got a couple, including one on the last show (first clue was '4th Yangtze' so I was pretty sure the fourth in the sequence would be '1st Amazon', I had no idea of the connection though) but I agree that if you're on the show you're not going to take the risk so 'next' it the second you get a chance.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hickee posted:

loving tell me about it, I live a minutes walk from the Miners and have had the unfortunate pleasure of being in it twice in the year that I moved into my girlfriends flat here. Utter shithole.

No wonder the Bride was so loving pissed at the thought of going in there for her reception, I like to think she eventually just put on a brave face and pretended she was overjoyed when she walked into it and gave her bloke a good kick in the balls when the cameras were turned off.

You moved into Kirkintilloch? Bloody hell, mate. You must really love your girlfriend. Do you still need a passport to get in and out of the town limits after dark?

I find Scottish Central Belt small towns both fascinating and saddening . None of them are more than a dozen miles from either Glasgow or Edinburgh, but when you talk to the people who live there it's as if the Cities are a thousand miles away, across some wide dangerous ocean. There are people who live in Kirkintilloch who regard going into Glasgow as a once-a-year Event.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm disappointed that the linguists aren't showing much cunning.

/dirty mind.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

sebzilla posted:

I am loving brilliant at the no-vowels round (as long as I know the subject matter). We should form a goon team. And now that I've typed it I'm thinking it's actually a pretty cool idea.

I'm pretty good at the connecting walls on the BBC website. I've tried to concoct my own too, but it's harder than it looks.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Wormophile posted:

And the hypocrisy of POD! Often when a cybergoth/raver/geishapunk/general alternative dresser comes on pod will declare that they are expressing themselves with their look and will decide not to Make Them Under, whereas if you are deemed A Proper Slag you are not expressing yourself you are merely slagging it up like a right trollop and need to be wiped down ASAP.

I've got a mate that dresses like a maniac. She has half a shaved head with an animal print, dreadlocks on the other side, tattoos all over, massive fleshholes in her ears. She was approached about going on the show, and they told her she wouldn't even have to have a make-under.

Hoops posted:

You know the second round, where it's an order of something? I got that right from the first clue, twice. One was the picture clue, a picture of a post sunset sky, figured it was twilight, and then guessed number 4 would be breaking dawn. I forget what the other one was, but I think it pertained to something in a particular song. So it can happen.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

The order round is possible yeah, I was on about the simple spot the connection round.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Some things only really have 1 interesting thing about them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BRB, just killing myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtRaQjx4K_c&NR=1

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Worst episode of Buzzcocks yet?
I'm goon to say yes.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Cerv posted:

Worst episode of Buzzcocks yet?
I'm goon to say yes.

I think that's the first episode of buzzcocks that I've not enjoyed a single part of. Oh well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Buzzcocks was basically poo poo, yes. Why was everyone in such a massive rush?