Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

titanium posted:

I suppose that makes sense, guess I'll just have to crop more often.

BTW this afternoon Amazon.com didn't have any but I checked now and it looks like 6 are in stock, drat I paid taxes. At least I got to help a local camera shop :unsmith:.

Are the lens hoods at a price they were meant to be or are they gouging right now?

I ordered this on monday and got it today

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330610959738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1611wt_1114

fits perfect and looks like the original at a much much cheaper price. Not sure if I'll use the hood, mostly bought it for the ring adapter and threw the cheap filter on it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

titanium posted:

I picked up my X100 today, I seemed to have found the last one in the Twin Cities. One issue I have (maybe its just with mine) but if I'm any closer than 2.5/3ft away I have to go into macro mode. This isnt normal is it? It's pretty frustrating if I'm remotely close to my subject because then it goes into the EVF mode only.

If you switch to MF and then flip the switch to go into the EVF, you can hit the AF-L button to focus without going into macromode. I do this 95% of the time when I shoot that close.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Pockyless posted:

If you switch to MF and then flip the switch to go into the EVF, you can hit the AF-L button to focus without going into macromode. I do this 95% of the time when I shoot that close.

Yeah this seems to be the much better alternative. Used it all day yesterday and the only complaint I really have is how slow it is, it takes like 3 mins to get a portrait shot of an animal you cant keep still. I suppose I could have set to MF and just gotten in range but it's quite a change from my D90. Overall I loving love it though, the iso performance, the lens sharpness, and just being able to carry it around without having it being intrusive is fantastic.

mattfl
Is that an aluminum one or is it just plastic?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

titanium posted:

Yeah this seems to be the much better alternative. Used it all day yesterday and the only complaint I really have is how slow it is, it takes like 3 mins to get a portrait shot of an animal you cant keep still. I suppose I could have set to MF and just gotten in range but it's quite a change from my D90. Overall I loving love it though, the iso performance, the lens sharpness, and just being able to carry it around without having it being intrusive is fantastic.

mattfl
Is that an aluminum one or is it just plastic?

Aluminum, which I was actually surprised about. Looks like a real Fuji accessory.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I am finally am getting some money back from insurance from my d7000 and am looking into getting a new camera. I am interested in the x100 and the NEX-5n. I know sony is planing to release an EVF for the NEX-5n, but then it kind of defeats the point of it being a mirror-less with size (also is $350). The only big draw to the NEX-5n is the 1080p video. I can't decide, I will probably be happy with either.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The x100 is amazing but the focus issues really bother me sometimes. I can avoid parallax errors but my girlfriend misses focus a lot with it, as do most waiters we give the camera to and ask for a picture to be taken.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Have the firmware updates made it any better to use video or focus during it?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

daspope posted:

I am finally am getting some money back from insurance from my d7000 and am looking into getting a new camera. I am interested in the x100 and the NEX-5n. I know sony is planing to release an EVF for the NEX-5n, but then it kind of defeats the point of it being a mirror-less with size (also is $350). The only big draw to the NEX-5n is the 1080p video. I can't decide, I will probably be happy with either.
If you ever plan on doing anything with off-camera lighting, wait for the NEX-7. The 5n AFAIK doesn't have a hotshoe or any decent way of triggering a flash, but the 7 will. The EVF is built in, so no bulky attachments needed, and the price will be about the same as the 5n+EVF.

edit: Also, I finally updated the firmware on my NEX-3. The focus peaking thing is amazing. Autofocus is now obsolete (I'm half serious here, getting correct focus on exactly what you want seems just as quick to me as cycling through AF points).

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 4, 2011

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

The NEX-7 does look pretty good and has a nice balance between the two. I have my dads nikon d5000 on loan which is pretty nice in comparison to the d40 I've been using at work. I just canot stand the viewfinder on the d40 for longer than 30 minutes. Using my Zoom h4n and a shotgun mic with the NEX7 or x100 will look ridiculous.

If I did get the NEX-7 should I sell my nikon lenses and get some sony mount ones? Has anyone heard of plans for a pancake lens for it? It would seem pretty silly to have a really small body with a huge lens.

daspope fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 4, 2011

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I would. I sold most of my f-mount gear when I moved to mFT. Only kept one film body and a couple primes. Too much clutter is distracting. :v:
No plans for a new pancake have been announced to my knowledge, though.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Shmoogy posted:

The x100 is amazing but the focus issues really bother me sometimes. I can avoid parallax errors but my girlfriend misses focus a lot with it, as do most waiters we give the camera to and ask for a picture to be taken.

Do what I do. Move the AF to the back button (do this anyway, it's better). Focus on the water first, then hand it to them, they are the same distance away and can just click. :-)

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

daspope posted:

The NEX-7 does look pretty good and has a nice balance between the two. I have my dads nikon d5000 on loan which is pretty nice in comparison to the d40 I've been using at work. I just canot stand the viewfinder on the d40 for longer than 30 minutes. Using my Zoom h4n and a shotgun mic with the NEX7 or x100 will look ridiculous.

If I did get the NEX-7 should I sell my nikon lenses and get some sony mount ones? Has anyone heard of plans for a pancake lens for it? It would seem pretty silly to have a really small body with a huge lens.

The NEX does have the 16mm pancake...but that is pretty wide. That being said, it is going to be really difficult for Sony to get lens sizes down due to the size of the sensor (bigger sensor usually means bigger lenses.)
It's one of the reasons I went for actual m4/3 (Panasonic GF2) - I can fit that camera with the 35mm equivalent pancake into my jacket pocket. The NEX doesn't seem to have a 'normal' focal length lens that would allow the camera to fit in a jacket pocket.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Shmoogy posted:

I've pretty much gone to full time Manual mode because high ISO/small apertures and that sweet hyperfocal gauge has been the most fun for me. PIMM's idea closely mirrors some street techniques where you either AF or MF on something 6 feet away and then you're good for anything within 5-25 feet at f/16 or 7-10 at f/8.

Not that your complaints about the AF aren't valid, they are. Throwing that out there in case you hadn't spent a lot of time in Manual with back button AF or using hyperfocal techniques.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

FasterThanLight posted:

edit: Also, I finally updated the firmware on my NEX-3. The focus peaking thing is amazing. Autofocus is now obsolete (I'm half serious here, getting correct focus on exactly what you want seems just as quick to me as cycling through AF points).

Amazon has the NEX-3 + 16mm kit for $399, I'm like 75% decided on buying one by the end of the month. Focus peaking was the thing that got me over the "no drat buttons" hump with the NEX design, since manual lenses will let me control aperture directly anyway.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anti-Derivative posted:

I've decided against the Olympus 45 1.8 and gotten the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 instead. I think the latter will be a better all purpose lens and that i'll be better served with a fast walking around lens. Also, if I do find that i am really tending towards portraits then the 20 seems to re-sell pretty well.
The 20 does appear to be the 'nifty fifty' for m4/3ds and has been out for a pretty long time, so the fact that there's still such demand for them is a testament to their utility.

I usually prefer to shoot wide but after reading up more on the 45 and seeing pictures I suddenly really, really want one. If only the 12mm wasn't $800...

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Has anyone heard anything in regards to the viewfinder of the x100 vs the nex7? I am aware the nex will only have a EVF. I am more interested in the quality of looking through it for the photographer. I am aware the NEX7 is not out, but I am being impatient.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
One is optical and one isn't, so they're two different beasts. The NEX-7 should use the same EVF as the A77 which is really good, but its a different experience from an optical one.

Try both if possible.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Thors Banhammer posted:

One is optical and one isn't, so they're two different beasts. The NEX-7 should use the same EVF as the A77 which is really good, but its a different experience from an optical one.

Try both if possible.

It had better be the same as the A77 because the clip-on NEX EVF for the 5n is really laggy compared to the A77.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Can you edit the x100's raw files in LR yet?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

daspope posted:

Can you edit the x100's raw files in LR yet?

Yes, for a long time now. There was only about a one month delay from launch.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

daspope posted:

Has anyone heard anything in regards to the viewfinder of the x100 vs the nex7? I am aware the nex will only have a EVF. I am more interested in the quality of looking through it for the photographer. I am aware the NEX7 is not out, but I am being impatient.
I have an a77, which uses the same EVF as the NEX-7. The viewfinder is very bright, with good color. The refresh rate is fast enough that tearing is rare, and it's nice to have an accurate DOF Preview button. The viewfinder does neat tricks like display a histogram or a digital level, if you want/need that sort of thing while you're shooting. It can get a little noisy at high ISOs, but you can still clearly tell what you're shooting, colors, and so on.

Compared to an APS-C pentamirror or pentaprism, it's much larger and brighter. Compared to a full-frame pentaprism, it doesn't seem as large or as detailed, but it's still pretty nice. I've never even seen an x100 in person, so I can't really compare the two viewfinders. But in general terms, it's a very nice viewfinder, and I expect NEX-7 shooters to be satisfied by it.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 7, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

daspope posted:

The X100 EVF is only 1.something million dots, whereas the Nex7 one is 2.4 million, which is bound to look nicer.

But I am not sure of physical size. The X100 OVF is huge, same size as a 5D, so it's possible the EVF is larger physically, but I just don't know.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Well both sound pretty good. I am going to just wait and will have to anyways since I just got fired from one of my jobs.

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
Put down a deposit for the new X10 today. Expected delivery: Nov 11.
:3:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Just got the new 45mm 1.8 for my GH2 and goddamn this is a nice little lens. Now time to start saving for the 12mm 2.0 and try to trade up my 20mm 1.7 for the 25mm 1.4.

m4/3rds finally has a nice prime set...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Just got the new 45mm 1.8 for my GH2 and goddamn this is a nice little lens. Now time to start saving for the 12mm 2.0 and try to trade up my 20mm 1.7 for the 25mm 1.4.

m4/3rds finally has a nice prime set...

I hate you guys (NEX owner checking in).

Schmerm
Sep 1, 2000
College Slice
Speaking of NEX, the LA-EA2 alpha->nex adapter sounds like a cool but expensive option to turn your NEX into a DSLR-equivalent entity with phase-detect autofocus and a big selection of lenses. Is it worth it, compared to just getting an A77 or other alpha-mount Sony SLT? The way I see it, NEX+adapter costs more, but can be made small (and use small rangefinder lenses) when you want to, as opposed to an SLT which is big always.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I plan on picking one up, but that's because I'm pretty heavily invested in the alpha mount. Between that adapter and the Minolta hotshoe, it makes a NEX-7 a true backup camera for me. Yes, I know about the LA-EA1 adapter, but I'm not crazy about having to rely on CDAF for fast action and/or dark settings.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Schmerm posted:

Is it worth it, compared to just getting an A77 or other alpha-mount Sony SLT? The way I see it, NEX+adapter costs more, but can be made small (and use small rangefinder lenses) when you want to, as opposed to an SLT which is big always.
It's really cool and works well, but yeah, for the price of it you could buy an entry-level Alpha body.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bob Socko posted:

Yes, I know about the LA-EA1 adapter, but I'm not crazy about having to rely on CDAF for fast action and/or dark settings.

When I tried it...the auto focus was glacially slow. So yeah if you are shooting for a true backup the EA2 seems the better option despite size/cost.

Man I miss my NEX :(

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
New x100 firmware released when I wasn't looking:

The firmware update Ver.1.11 incorporates the following issues.

1.Performance of auto focus at near distance has been improved.
2.When "SHADW TONE" is set to "MEDIUM SOFT" or "SOFT", live view in LCD may display with abnormal pattern (so-called "solarisation") just after pressing the shutter halfway. This update improves the phenomena.
3.When self-timer mode is selected, focus and exposure (AE/AF) are set just after pressing the shutter button and these settings are remained for the final shutter releasing.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/download.html

mes
Apr 28, 2006

^^Just updated, the AF really seems a bit more snappy which is awesome, especially in well lit areas.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
NEX-7 will be delayed due to flooding in Thailand.

In other news, I was planning on getting the 55-210 for my NEX-3. It's literally $100 cheaper in America than Japan, but impatience (and not having to worry about it potentially getting held up in customs) may win out here.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm hoping that some of you here can help me with a decision regarding buying a NEX. Probably a NEX-5n.

This will be my one big camera purchase before my little girl is born, and being that it is a hobby for me, I don't anticipate buying another nice camera for a long time.

I have been looking through brands and types of cameras. Point and shoots will mist likely only frustrate me with noise. Full DSLR cameras are awesome, but I don't think I would have it with me as often, and I have been borrowing my wife's A230 a lot recently due to only having an AE-1 and a point and shoot that I have really outgrown, so having another DSLR in the house doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.

The NEX-5n really seems to have everything I am looking for, but the lack of external controls is a bit of a deterrent. I hate spending so much time in menus on my point and shoot just to adjust iso or other basic things. I think I can live with the programmable keys, though, and the touchscreen would help I imagine.

700 bucks-ish is already pretty high for me. Here are my questions:

Is there any other camera that I would be stupid not to consider? I like that there is a cheap adapter to let me use my AE-1 lenses manually, and an adapter for Alpha lenses so if my wife gets a lens, we can share back and forth.

I assume that the NEX-3 would only give me buyer's remorse for not spending a little more for a much better body and a touch screen (and the other upgrades).

NEX5 vs 5n...many reviews I have read say that upgrading if you own the 5 is a subjective decision, but as someone new to the camera line, should I stuck with the 5n for longevity reasons? It seems like the image quality has been improved on the 5n.

Do any of you regret getting into the NEX line?

Last - would it make sense to wait to purchase until Black Friday/cyber Monday? Would this likely be something that would be on sake based on your tears if camera buying experience?

Thanks for answering any of these if you have the time. I have read most reviews available online by now of the old and new 3 and 5 series models - the only thing left is to try to get real world advice, and I definitely trust people here after lurking around the subforum so long.

E: Oh! Lack of a viewfinder... I have bad eyesight and find that I can't use a viewfinder properly anyways. Can't get my eye close enough to properly frame a shot, although I live being able to see if things are focused where I want them to be. Is the screen good enough to be able to see if you are properly focused? I like the newly added feature that highlights in-focus edges on the screen...if it works well, that is.

rio fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 21, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

I'm hoping that some of you here can help me with a decision regarding buying a NEX. Probably a NEX-5n.

This will be my one big camera purchase before my little girl is born, and being that it is a hobby for me, I don't anticipate buying another nice camera for a long time.

I have been looking through brands and types of cameras. Point and shoots will mist likely only frustrate me with noise. Full DSLR cameras are awesome, but I don't think I would have it with me as often, and I have been borrowing my wife's A230 a lot recently due to only having an AE-1 and a point and shoot that I have really outgrown, so having another DSLR in the house doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me.

The NEX-5n really seems to have everything I am looking for, but the lack of external controls is a bit of a deterrent. I hate spending so much time in menus on my point and shoot just to adjust iso or other basic things. I think I can live with the programmable keys, though, and the touchscreen would help I imagine.

700 bucks-ish is already pretty high for me. Here are my questions:

Is there any other camera that I would be stupid not to consider? I like that there is a cheap adapter to let me use my AE-1 lenses manually, and an adapter for Alpha lenses so if my wife gets a lens, we can share back and forth.

I assume that the NEX-3 would only give me buyer's remorse for not spending a little more for a much better body and a touch screen (and the other upgrades).

NEX5 vs 5n...many reviews I have read say that upgrading if you own the 5 is a subjective decision, but as someone new to the camera line, should I stuck with the 5n for longevity reasons? It seems like the image quality has been improved on the 5n.

Do any of you regret getting into the NEX line?

Last - would it make sense to wait to purchase until Black Friday/cyber Monday? Would this likely be something that would be on sake based on your tears if camera buying experience?

Thanks for answering any of these if you have the time. I have read most reviews available online by now of the old and new 3 and 5 series models - the only thing left is to try to get real world advice, and I definitely trust people here after lurking around the subforum so long.

E: Oh! Lack of a viewfinder... I have bad eyesight and find that I can't use a viewfinder properly anyways. Can't get my eye close enough. Is the screen good enough to be able to see if you are properly focused? I like the newly added feature that highlights in-focus edges on the screen...if it works well, that is.

I'm really, really happy with the NEX-3, and I say that as someone who's shot semi-professionally and loathes Sony's electronics.

I'd say the 5N is what you're looking for, unless you want to wait on the 7 and spend $1350 for the kit (I'm guessing not). Since it's new and relatively popular, I don't think there will be any killer deals on the NEX-5n, I think those sales are usually for clearing out older merchandise. Although if you're daughter isn't going to be born before then, no harm in waiting to see, I suppose.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

rio posted:

Is the screen good enough to be able to see if you are properly focused? I like the newly added feature that highlights in-focus edges on the screen...if it works well, that is.

Sharp lenses are a lot easier to focus then soft ones with focus peaking. For instance, when I was borrowing a NEX-5, I also borrowed a Ziess 35mm f/2. It worked well at f/4, but not so much at f/2 where it became soft and the peaking function wasn't able to find edges as readily as when it was stopped down. I also put on my Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 which remains quite sharp when wide open, and it was much easier to focus then with the Ziess f/2.

Don't take this post as an excuse to invest in new glass, just don't be afraid to use a smaller aperture if then lens is soft.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That zeiss must've been a pretty weak copy, mine seriously rivaled my 100L wide open (it just suffered from bad CA and vignetting).

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I've had great luck with the peaking feature on my CV 35/1.2, even wide open. It doesn't work on every scene, but having the 7x/14x LCD zoom to fall back on isn't the worst thing - just slows you down a bit.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Shmoogy posted:

That zeiss must've been a pretty weak copy, mine seriously rivaled my 100L wide open (it just suffered from bad CA and vignetting).

Must have been a bad copy, maybe I'll notice these things :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

NEX-7 will be delayed due to flooding in Thailand.

In other news, I was planning on getting the 55-210 for my NEX-3. It's literally $100 cheaper in America than Japan, but impatience (and not having to worry about it potentially getting held up in customs) may win out here.

Seeing as how an earthquake delayed the X100, I think it's fairly safe to say that god hates mirror-less large sensor compacts.