Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Since evolution was brought up, what's the purpose of the hymen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Evolution is NOT directed. Things don't have "purposes." They're just what's left after the sifters up until this point. The hymen didn't have any negative effects that affected that survivability of our species, so it wasn't eliminated by a sifter.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

Evolution is NOT directed. Things don't have "purposes."

Though you are technically correct, I think it's pretty clear that he's asking about the function of the hymen. You didn't really answer his question.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Golbez posted:

There is a Straight Dope column about this. Short answer: no one knows.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
There's not necessarily a function. Like male nipples don't have a biological function. It could be a vestige of something we've evolved from or just from time developing in the womb.

Whatever it is, it just gets in the way :quagmire:

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 1, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Golbez posted:

My first guess was that over time it's helped minimize avenues for infection at a stage where access to the vagina isn't really needed.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I've wondered about this for years since I don't really know anything about how music is actually recorded (despite listening to it almost every day for probably 15 years). Specifically, I listen to a lot of industrial and the like - and remixes are a huge part of the genre (everybody in industrial remixes each other's stuff).

What exactly does a "remix" entail? They're obviously not just twisting a few dials and changing the bass level - a lot of remixes end up making an entirely new song out of the original. I just have no idea how they do it - do they get recordings of the original tracks as laid down in the studio or something that they can edit in a studio or on a computer and just call it a "remix" as a simplified term?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's the name of that horribly named DIY silicone or silicone-like putty stuff that you can buy and put on whatever you want? Can't find it on google or I don't know what to search for.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dudebro posted:

What's the name of that horribly named DIY silicone or silicone-like putty stuff that you can buy and put on whatever you want? Can't find it on google or I don't know what to search for.

Mighty Putty? (That stuff Billy Mays used to shill, I believe)

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Dudebro posted:

Sugru? The stuff you use to 'hack your objects'? (Their crappy words, not mine)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a Pottermore thread here on the Forums by any chance?

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I want to learn how to sharpen a knife. Now I've googled this of course and tried to do it many times with several types of stones and blades, and I can make it somewhat sharper, but I can never get it really loving sharp nor can I get the edge to last nearly as long as when you buy a knife new. There seem to be a million techniques and tools to do this, which is the best and what the hell do I need to do to get good at this?

Minimum tools are a whetstones/sharpening stones of at least 2 grades (one rough and one fine), one leather strop (to polish the edge) and a honing steel (to unbend the edge). Expect to spent 50-100 bucks on these tools (if you are not buying cheap crap).

I thought myself how to sharpen a kitchen knife watching these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Knife+Sharpening+expertvillage

It takes some practice and trial/error, but you will get there.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Wedemeyer posted:

Is there a Pottermore thread here on the Forums by any chance?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337221

It's not exclusively Pottermore until the last few pages.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Where should I go in asking how to properly set up a good blog, good YouTube channel, buying a good HD video camera, video/photo editing software, and amateur photography?

I especially want to find out how to use video editing software and how to make professional and good looking videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krdb8lceRoI

I would appreciate the advice! :D

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Okay, this may be a long shot - I don't even know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have any experience with buying from this site/does it look trustworthy?

I'm looking for a gift for a friend's birthday and something Russian-Winnie-the-Pooh/Vinni Pukh related would be perfect. So on that site, I'd be looking at this. Problem is that I live in Belgium, don't have a credit card and I don't speak a word of Russian - so finding an actual Russian online shop that a) accepts pay-pal b) ships to Belgium c) is available in English d) is trustworthy ... is pretty difficult.

So if someone could give me some advice on the site I linked or could suggest a different site, I'd be very grateful. :)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

OrangeGuy posted:

Where should I go in asking how to properly set up a good blog, good YouTube channel, buying a good HD video camera, video/photo editing software, and amateur photography?

I especially want to find out how to use video editing software and how to make professional and good looking videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krdb8lceRoI

I would appreciate the advice! :D

This guy is likely shooting on a DSLR, the cheapest option right now is the Canon t2i, though he's probably using a Canon 5d. It gives you that sharpness and film-like depth of field.

For video editing software, I hate it but you might want to look into Final Cut Pro X if you have a mac, that will run you $299 and it has a lot of built in graphics and color correction elements that would make editing pretty simple for you, as well as a really straightforward exporting process that can post the video directly to youtube. I only hate it because it takes away a lot of the pro options I've come to rely on, but it's great for little blog stuff.

Also, you're going to need a microphone of sorts, either a lav mic (the kind that clips to your lapel) or a boom mic. Advantage of the lapel is that you don't necessarily need anyone but yourself to shoot a video. If you use a boom you need someone to operate it. Of course, you could always just use a handheld mic, that's relatively acceptable in the pro vlog world. Either way, please use an external mic, the built in miss sound awful.

I can't help you with the actual blog portion, except to look into wordpress or whatever, but hopefully that helps with the video portion.

for any further questions, you should check out "the dorkroom" forum on this very site.

edit: stupid auto correct on dorkroom

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 2, 2011

wren
Feb 9, 2007

requiescat in pace et in amore
I remember reading an article about motivation. In particular it mentioned that some people operated under the belief that they would one day receive a huge reward--often monetary. I think it might have mentioned a lot of people thought they would one day win the lottery or have a large inheritance?

I appreciate it, I can't seem to google the correct phrasing to find it.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

wren posted:

I remember reading an article about motivation. In particular it mentioned that some people operated under the belief that they would one day receive a huge reward--often monetary. I think it might have mentioned a lot of people thought they would one day win the lottery or have a large inheritance?

Extrinsic motivation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrinsic_motivation#Motivation_concepts

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wren posted:

Are you thinking about loci of control?

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

I think I might be going nuts. Is there a song, possible by a 60s or 70s rock band, that starts very similarly to the Venture's The Wanderer? I've re-listened to the start a good fifty times now but I can't tell why it sounds so familiar to me. I feel like I listened to the song a lot when I was younger, but I only recently started listening to Ventures songs.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

The Monarch posted:

I think I might be going nuts. Is there a song, possible by a 60s or 70s rock band, that starts very similarly to the Venture's The Wanderer? I've re-listened to the start a good fifty times now but I can't tell why it sounds so familiar to me. I feel like I listened to the song a lot when I was younger, but I only recently started listening to Ventures songs.

Paint it, Black?

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Can anybody identify where is this image from? I first saw it as an avatar in some forum.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

For video editing software, I hate it but you might want to look into Final Cut Pro X if you have a mac, that will run you $299 and it has a lot of built in graphics and color correction elements that would make editing pretty simple for you, as well as a really straightforward exporting process that can post the video directly to youtube. I only hate it because it takes away a lot of the pro options I've come to rely on, but it's great for little blog stuff.

Do you have any suggestions for PC users? I will check out the Dork Room shortly. Thanks for the advice.

[EDIT]: Also, what would work best for someone wanting to write and play their own songs on a computer? I think there was a program called Sonata or something similar, right?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 2, 2011

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

hellvis454 posted:

Can anybody identify where is this image from? I first saw it as an avatar in some forum.
TinEye lead me to this which Google says is Revy from Black Lagoon, whatever that is. There's a bunch of wallpapers and poo poo using the source image.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What uses more gas in an '05 Civic? Leaving it running for 15-25 seconds parked, or shutting it off and turning it back on? I looked around AI for a small question thread but didn't see it, although I might have missed it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

thehandtruck posted:

What uses more gas in an '05 Civic? Leaving it running for 15-25 seconds parked, or shutting it off and turning it back on? I looked around AI for a small question thread but didn't see it, although I might have missed it.

here's the small question thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2341562
You can get a more in depth answer from them but my take:

Leaving it running uses more gas but maybe like a shotglass or less worth.

Cars don't actually use more gas to start than they do to run that's an old myth. If the engine's cold and you start it the fuel mixture will be richened up some compared to normal (bigger squirts into the cylinders) but it's going to stay rich until a certain temp is reached no matter what you do with stopping/starting it. If you turn it off hot wait 20 seconds and turn it back on hot there will be no enrichment program run.

At any rate, the gas used by leaving it running hundreds of times that you could have shut it off for 20 seconds is money well spent to avoid hundreds of extra uses of your starter and battery.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 2, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

This is a serious question. I haven't had any alcohol in about two years, last night I ate six bratwursts that were boiled in beer before grilling.

I woke up this morning feeling super hungover, is that just because I ate so much?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How much did you drink (not alcohol, just in general)? A hangover is a form of dehydration.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

How much did you drink (not alcohol, just in general)? A hangover is a form of dehydration.

I few bottles of water and two root beers. I also drink two more bottles of water before bed each night.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I wonder if there's some sort of sensitivity to cooked beer. I can drink lots of beer with nothing more than your garden variety hangover, but if I eat something like beer brats then I end up sick as hell.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Akuma posted:

TinEye lead me to this which Google says is Revy from Black Lagoon, whatever that is.
It's an anime about pirate mercenaries in South-East Asia, set in the early '90s.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I recently bought a power cage for my new place. Unfortunately the room it's in is next to the bedroom of my next door neighbor and it's clangy as gently caress.

I'd like to silence it as best I can, I'm planning to glue some rubber sheeting onto the surfaces that make contact with the barbell, and I was wondering about filling the frame with some sort of sound damping medium*. But I honestly don't know what I'm doing so I would appreciate any ideas. Cost is a consideration.

Also any ideas on soundproofing the adjoining wall without spending a huge amount would be super.

* So far my ideas are sand, and precicely measured wood that will probably cost too much.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

OrangeGuy posted:

Do you have any suggestions for PC users? I will check out the Dork Room shortly. Thanks for the advice.

[EDIT]: Also, what would work best for someone wanting to write and play their own songs on a computer? I think there was a program called Sonata or something similar, right?

If you can afford it and don't mind a learning curve, Adobe Premiere Pro is pretty awesome. PC isn't the king of easy to use editing software that I know of though.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

RaoulDuke12 posted:

If you can afford it and don't mind a learning curve, Adobe Premiere Pro is pretty awesome. PC isn't the king of easy to use editing software that I know of though.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 and it is amazing. Reasonably priced too.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aatrek (TVIV mod) redirected me here.

Here's what I want to do: Make a .gif avatar based off my current one, but with animating "magic" effects.

Here is my problem: The source video (available for download on the Skyrim website) throws obstacles at me. One is that the video starts from the character's feet and moves up and over the character, thus centering on the character in the .gif animation is difficult.

Another problem is of course the avatar dimensions for SA.

So not only does the camera go over the character, there's a bunch of useless background on the sides, above and under the character.

Here is what I want to do: Is there a tool that crops video frame by frame by certain set dimensions that focus on where your mouse is or something? I.e. I can have a "crop box" that is centered on my mouse pointer, and I play the feedback and focus the mouse pointer over the character's face.

EDIT: Here is the full clip that contains the magic effects here. Not the entire clip, just cropping to focus on the character's face.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dead Man Posting posted:

Here's what I want to do: Make a .gif avatar based off my current one, but with animating "magic" effects.

Another problem is of course the avatar dimensions for SA.

So not only does the camera go over the character, there's a bunch of useless background on the sides, above and under the character.

Here is what I want to do: Is there a tool that crops video frame by frame by certain set dimensions that focus on where your mouse is or something? I.e. I can have a "crop box" that is centered on my mouse pointer, and I play the feedback and focus the mouse pointer over the character's face.

EDIT: Here is the full clip that contains the magic effects here. Not the entire clip, just cropping to focus on the character's face.

After Effects.

What you want to do is stabilize the footage using the character's face, then crop around it. And just trim the in/out for when the guy's out of frame. This is easy.

Turning it into a .gif small enough to meet file size requirements while preserving quality? This is not easy.

Edit: H'okay. I've cropped the footage and stabilized it, so you're left with a .mov of the guy's head with all the mayhem going on in the background. I've given two versions-- one that loops and one that doesn't. You'll need to find somebody else able/willing to convert it into a .gif that fulfill SA's requirements, or do it yourself.

Here's a link for those downloads: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YXKERSDO

(If there's any issue with putting a megaupload/etc link here, let me know and I'll take it down. It's a .zip file, not sure where else to host for the guy to get it.)

Travakian fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 3, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Travakian posted:

After Effects.

What you want to do is stabilize the footage using the character's face, then crop around it. And just trim the in/out for when the guy's out of frame. This is easy.

Turning it into a .gif small enough to meet file size requirements while preserving quality? This is not easy.

Edit: H'okay. I've cropped the footage and stabilized it, so you're left with a .mov of the guy's head with all the mayhem going on in the background. I've given two versions-- one that loops and one that doesn't. You'll need to find somebody else able/willing to convert it into a .gif that fulfill SA's requirements, or do it yourself.

Here's a link for those downloads: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YXKERSDO

(If there's any issue with putting a megaupload/etc link here, let me know and I'll take it down. It's a .zip file, not sure where else to host for the guy to get it.)

Works great. I am working with it now. Thank you so much man! Expect a gift soon :P

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

This guy is likely shooting on a DSLR, the cheapest option right now is the Canon t2i, though he's probably using a Canon 5d. It gives you that sharpness and film-like depth of field.

I got a response back, he said:

"Thanks! I use the Canon t2i and edit with Camtasia Studio 7."

So, yeah, he's actually using a t2i. That's the Canon Rebel camera, right? I had been wanting to get one of those anyways. Can they shoot HD video as well?

[EDIT]: I guess so, but I've heard people recommending to first buy the t2i body and then buy a better lens. What should I buy, then, as an all-purpose lens for a beginner?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 3, 2011

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

I got a response back, he said:

"Thanks! I use the Canon t2i and edit with Camtasia Studio 7."

So, yeah, he's actually using a t2i. That's the Canon Rebel camera, right? I had been wanting to get one of those anyways. Can they shoot HD video as well?

Yes, it's a Rebel, and yes it shoots HD. Think of it as a 'higher-end' Rebel (compared to the idea of the Rebel series being consumer/home-use devices)... but if you're looking into investing in a DSLR for video use, consider at the Canon T3i (also called 600D); it's got a few features that beat out the t2i as far as video-capturing goes.

For editing, Premiere Pro is higher-end but should definitely work for you. The Mac equivalent would be Final Cut Pro, though the latest version (Final Cut Pro X) is terribly controversial and made things much... 'simpler' (that is, removed/altered a slew of professional-level tools)-- but as mentioned earlier, it should do you just fine. Or find a copy of Final Cut Pro 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine
Edit: found a better thread for this question

Logtar fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 3, 2011