Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
One of the best sport sedans ever made... E39 M5.

The worst cup holders ever made.... E39 M5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Nait Sirhc posted:

Oh yeah, this thread.

Sold the E55, bought this.

:flashfap: :gizz:

This must be a dream to drive

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

69sofine posted:

:flashfap: :gizz:
There should be a toxx for these smilies proving such.

Nice car, my crazy neighbor is dating a man 20 years her senior that drives one of those, but it stirs my rescue instincts... it's beat to hell with the exhaust hanging at an angle, front bumper deranged, at least one tire seriously deflated... I want to take it and clean it up and give it the treatment it deserves. M5s should never be used as rats.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Wrar posted:

If you're anything like me, you'll start to miss the RWD in about 3-6 months. If your Miata is in decent shape keep it.

I know I'll miss it and kick myself for selling it. The engine is in great shape but everything else is worn out and the exterior looks just plain bad. The thing I'll miss most is my vanity plates: I'm the one with the plates that say HAAAAAY.

meatpimp posted:

You've never had a turbo Miata. Especially at 20psi.

If I keep the Miata, turbocharging it is definitely an option. I've had too many other projects lately to have fun with the Miata -- project house, project job, project relationships. I'll need something to tinker uselessly on once I get tired of working on the Duke Nukem Forever of houses.

ZenMastaT posted:

What kind of options did you end up with? I was actually looking at STI's originally but a lot of the comfort options sort of felt like a step down from my Legacy GT so I ended up going with a used BMW instead.

I got the auto-dimming mirror with a compass, and that's it! It's drat useful when you still use a map to navigate. I wanted the short shift kit but since there were no models to test drive, I couldn't compare to see how badly I wanted or needed it.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

One of the best sport sedans ever made... E39 M5.

The worst cup holders ever made.... E39 M5.

The useless cupholders were the only thing I disliked about my E39. Otherwise, :swoon:

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
There's a handsome piece from BavAuto that fits into the slide-up compartment just below the sliding center armrest.

Much better than the flimsy factory cupholders.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
My Rides are as follows
2001 Mercedes C240 W/ 6 speed manual (yes, I'm a girl that drives a manual)

1988 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3 turbo 5 speed manual

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

My Rides are as follows
2001 Mercedes C240 W/ 6 speed manual (yes, I'm a girl that drives a manual)

My wife drove a manual when I met her, that's the only reason I married her.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

standardtoaster posted:

Same here.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

goatse guy posted:

I got the auto-dimming mirror with a compass, and that's it! It's drat useful when you still use a map to navigate. I wanted the short shift kit but since there were no models to test drive, I couldn't compare to see how badly I wanted or needed it.

The only option I got with my BMW was the sports kit. I don't even have a compass mirror and I miss it :(

There is such a thing as too short of a shift, for me at least. I test drove a 2012 Mustang 6 speed and the space between gears was so small I had a hard time figuring whether I was down shifting into 3rd or 1st. I suppose practice would make perfect but it just felt uncomfortable.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

meatpimp posted:

There should be a toxx for these smilies proving such.

Nice car, my crazy neighbor is dating a man 20 years her senior that drives one of those, but it stirs my rescue instincts... it's beat to hell with the exhaust hanging at an angle, front bumper deranged, at least one tire seriously deflated... I want to take it and clean it up and give it the treatment it deserves. M5s should never be used as rats.

As sad as that is the guy probably bought if for like <$10k with an absolute shitload of miles so it's probably too far gone to be rescued.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

ZenMastaT posted:

Posted this a few pages back and wanted to throw in a little update. I added the 3 pointed star, a friend re-sprayed the grill, and new head lights and tail lights went in, along with a new thankfully much smaller steering wheel. Hopefully the difference is obvious - I think it looks a lot better without any amber plastic on it.

And both of my cars together:

2007 BMW 335i & 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Nice Euro headlights. I missed a pair of them at the San Leandro Pick N Pull once, they are worth a shitload.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 30, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Bought this today. 1996 BMW 328is with 250 000km. For about $1000 less than I've seen other, very similar cars go for. I am very happy.

My New Bimmer (2 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr

My New Bimmer (3 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr

My New Bimmer (9 of 10) by Execudork, on Flickr
The Beatles front plate is nice, but not me. It's going back to the previous owner next weekend when I pick up the winter tires from him. He can put it on his new SUV that his wife made him buy (after making him sell the "too low" bimmer).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZenMastaT posted:

2007 BMW 335i & 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16

I seriously thought that was a 7-series for a second, the size difference is incredible.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

ZenMastaT posted:

The only option I got with my BMW was the sports kit. I don't even have a compass mirror and I miss it :(

There is such a thing as too short of a shift, for me at least. I test drove a 2012 Mustang 6 speed and the space between gears was so small I had a hard time figuring whether I was down shifting into 3rd or 1st. I suppose practice would make perfect but it just felt uncomfortable.

I missed having a compass in my Miata. I almost bought one of those godawful ugly dash compasses just to find my way around.

I've driven some cars with terrible aftermarket shift kits, but I'm inclined to believe that Subaru's kit is probably good. I know someone with a 2011 WRX with the kit, but he's one of those types who won't let anyone else drive his car and he knows what a hooligan I am.

I went out for a drive last night... and the night before that... and every night since I bought the WRX. I got it on Monday and I've already put over 500 miles on it. It's already filthy because I had a date on Wednesday night and we decided the best way to spend the night was to drive 70 miles in search of twisty gravel roads.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 30, 2011

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
While not my car permanently, My G8 is at the dealer for warranty work. And typically they give me a lame (but appreciated) loaner. Not today. A Turbo Buick Regal. And you know what? I was quite surprised by this car. I drove a normal Lacrosse and found it comfortable, but slow. The turbo Regal is actually decently quick and that turbo is fun to play with.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

_firehawk posted:

While not my car permanently, My G8 is at the dealer for warranty work. And typically they give me a lame (but appreciated) loaner. Not today. A Turbo Buick Regal. And you know what? I was quite surprised by this car. I drove a normal Lacrosse and found it comfortable, but slow. The turbo Regal is actually decently quick and that turbo is fun to play with.

whats up KY Buddy! I like the body lines of the car!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

whats up KY Buddy!

Good thing this isn't the trucker thread.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

1988 Merkur XR4Ti 2.3 turbo 5 speed manual

That Merk looks haggard as gently caress but I'd still drive the ever living piss out of it.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Good thing this isn't the trucker thread.

She would be safe. Good Buddy as a trucker term is used for men seeking men. although I am in Northern Kentucky and the rest of Kentucky disowns us and basically they say we are Cincinnati.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I seriously thought that was a 7-series for a second, the size difference is incredible.

The angle doesn't help much but yeah, the current 3-series is really not a small car. I've been driving it up a twisty mountain road the past couple of days and I constantly feel like it is too wide for the lane and I'm cutting corners on hairpins all over the place.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ZenMastaT posted:

The angle doesn't help much but yeah, the current 3-series is really not a small car. I've been driving it up a twisty mountain road the past couple of days and I constantly feel like it is too wide for the lane and I'm cutting corners on hairpins all over the place.

The new 3 is really a big car compared to what it used to be. Comparatively, its is about the same size of my E39 5er.... The 1 series is what the 3 should be. By the way that 1 series is a FANTASTIC driving car.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That Merk looks haggard as gently caress but I'd still drive the ever living piss out of it.
The exterior is haggard, but the interor is almost perfect! Bought it as a project car and love driving the ever living poo poo out of it!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The new 3 is really a big car compared to what it used to be. Comparatively, its is about the same size of my E39 5er.... The 1 series is what the 3 should be. By the way that 1 series is a FANTASTIC driving car.

I drove one of the M 1 Series.. oh my god. I will own one of those eventually.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

standardtoaster posted:

That's the only reason?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CharlesM posted:

That's the only reason?

The only *differentiating* reason.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

The exterior is haggard, but the interor is almost perfect! Bought it as a project car and love driving the ever living poo poo out of it!

It's okay, they're supposed to look like that. I was looking at picking up a Merkur, but the one I looked at was smoking (probably a blown turbo). I bought a 91 AWD Talon instead.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

_firehawk posted:

I also like the styling of these. How's it on fuel?

It's too bad these are so overpriced in Canada, here the turbo starts at $36,000! They build the things here!

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

goatse guy posted:

It's already filthy because I had a date on Wednesday night and we decided the best way to spend the night was to drive 70 miles in search of twisty gravel roads.

Did you christen the car, Subaru buddy?

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

rocket_350 posted:

I also like the styling of these. How's it on fuel?

It's too bad these are so overpriced in Canada, here the turbo starts at $36,000! They build the things here!

I didn't have it long enough to really judge the gas mileage. I did try to see how it handled at its limits though. Going from rwd back to fwd I experienced a bit of torque steer on launches. The car will only rev to 2k rpms when the gas and brake are pressed. So that was non dramatic. But I have no idea if I had a 2011 220hp model or the new 2012 model with 270hp. Its anybody's guess.

edit: I am pretty sure I had the 220hp version. The 270hp version is in GS trim and has a 6 speed manual. My loaner was an automatic.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I recently did Ophir Pass (a 4x4 trail in Colorado) with my Toyota Echo. I swear, there is nothing this car can't do. 311k miles now.

(full story on my blog if you care: http://goo.gl/Fxv5e )

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

BMW 328is

That car looks very familiar - was it on the west side of Stoon?

One of the guys at work was looking for cars and we took this one for a drive.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Who needs clearcoat? :smug:

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

djfooboo posted:

I'm surprised they even let that on the road, with how strict Shaken is.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

toaster_pastry posted:

I'm surprised they even let that on the road, with how strict Shaken is.

Runs like a champ, looks like a meth-head hooker.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

War Bunny posted:

Did you christen the car, Subaru buddy?

I did. I found some gravel roads that were sufficiently curvy and surprisingly well-groomed. Wait... were you talking about the other kind of getting dirty in a Subaru?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

toaster_pastry posted:

I recently did Ophir Pass (a 4x4 trail in Colorado) with my Toyota Echo. I swear, there is nothing this car can't do. 311k miles now.

(full story on my blog if you care: http://goo.gl/Fxv5e )

Hey -- did I catch you in Seattle in July?

e: no I did not.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

That car looks very familiar - was it on the west side of Stoon?

One of the guys at work was looking for cars and we took this one for a drive.
Nope, this one came from Regina - previous owner is a professor at the University of Regina, and he said he bought it from his Dean, about 2 years ago.

djfooboo posted:

Fractal-Man, your car is ready for ACTION!

fr0ggerrr
Apr 18, 2011

I'm gonna ///Miss her. 3 reckless driving tickets in Virginia /sob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

In a Miata though? Even if thats possible its not what they're about.

The tail end on my stock NA comes out every day :colbert:

What is a miata about then..