Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Whoo, first blood! Well, armourplates, whatever. :woop:

This could've went alot better. 12 points of damage divided between three mechs! We accept your unconditional surrender right now, dirty clanners!

It also could've went alot worse. I am a little bit disappointed by the mines, though.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tarquinn posted:

I am a little bit disappointed by the mines, though.

A critical chances has slightly less than a 50% probability (45 point something IIRC, it's an 8+) to actually cause a critical hit; and I've been rolling lower than usual so far.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Hob_Gadling posted:

Everyone knows warriors are a superstitious lot. Bloodnamed warriors are especially so, given the sense of fate they almost invariably get on the day they win their immortality. Grier Siedman is no different. He would never admit it to anyone and dismiss it as simple preference. Sometimes he questions himself for it and wonders if old age has made him go mad. But ever since he saw his final opponent, Star Commander Alisha, die from the last shot of his last functional weapon and win his Bloodname Grier Siedman has known that Ultra Autocannon 2 is the weapon he lives by and will one day die by.

Grier Siedman pilots a Dire Wolf B.
Doesn't hurt (well, not the pilot, anyway) that those UAC/2s are backed up by a pair of ERPPCs and a LB-X/10. I was about to make an argument for the very same 'mech.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Helter Skelter posted:

Doesn't hurt (well, not the pilot, anyway) that those UAC/2s are backed up by a pair of ERPPCs and a LB-X/10. I was about to make an argument for the very same 'mech.

From the sounds of things, Siedman will be popping up in another mission soon, piloting whatever mech we choose. Do you want him showing up in a Dire Wolf?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Do you want him showing up in a Dire Wolf?

Do not ask for an easier target. Ask to become a stronger man. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Remora posted:

Do not ask for an easier target. Ask to become a stronger man. :colbert:

I've wanted us to play as the Clans for more than that one-off mission for a while, yes. :v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
PTN, if I might ask, why must it be an Omni?

After all, he did lose, hegira or not. He was told to defend something and his forces failed to do so.

Ah well... Nuts.

I can think of five 'mechs I could make a case to give him. Two are not Omnimechs, two are five tons shy of being an Assault 'mech (and one doesn't even exist in this timeline,) and one won't be first fielded for another 25 years...

Drat. Well, I guess there's two others I could make cases for, though neither of them are as striking and visually awesome (not Awesome, but awesome,) as the Canis, Behemoth, Timber Wolf, Woodsman, or Blood Asp.

That said... I may go to two paragraphs.

“You Inner Sphere scum fight like tanks, therefore: you will now be treated like them.”

Star Colonel Grier Seidman had learned a lesson that day, a lesson earned in the blood and coolant of his people: the forces of the Inner Sphere have no system of honor, no codified rituals of dueling. They fight only to win: and so shall he. His Bane, set-up as it had been and having served him so well in duels in the past, was poorly suited to the battlefields of the Inner Sphere. Two 'mechs dominated the field that day, while his had been little more than an annoyance: the enemy unit's King Crab, and the Hunchback which had been under his command; the former emerged victorious, the latter had all guns focused on it until it died. Both 'mechs shared something in common.

He seized a 'mech in a duel; only the most heavily-armed OmniMech known to the Clans would do. The fearsome Dire Wolf weighed in at one-hundred tons with a purity of purpose: to go unto its enemies and destroy them. But he wasn't done; he took the 'mech, whose weapons had mostly been destroyed, to his chief technician, and commanded him to create and balance a precision load to his specifications. The Star Colonel had learned well the lesson taught to him by the enemy King Crab, and it was a lesson he could improve upon. Each of the Dire Wolf's arms carries a Gauss Rifle and an Extended-Range Particle Projection Cannon, four weapons, any of them capable of stripping a full ton of armor off a BattleMech - or decapitating it - in one shot. These he enhanced with a massive Targeting Computer occupying the entirety of the OmniMech's left torso, while his right torso became home to an additional modular heat sink, an Anti-Missile system, a ton of AMS ammunition and four tons of ammo to feed his hungry Gauss Rifles.

The Inner Sphere would reap what it had sown.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Grier Siedman's undoing, by his thinking, was clearly lack of heavy firepower. He favors range and weight over mobility, and I doubt he would find too much fault with those preferences, even with the outcome of the last battle being what it is. He wasn't outmaneuvered or knifed to death at close range, so he'd shirk something more mobile like an Executioner or Gargoyle. Siedman isn't about finesse; no, he'd still want a 'mech that would allow him to annihilate the enemy at range, favoring knockout heavy weapons this time.

The Warhawk Prime is the clear choice. Like the Kraken, it utilizes multiple weapons of the same type and favors long-range striking power. But while the Kraken is designed to crit-seek and sandpaper the enemy to death, the Warhawk's PPCs are just lethal outright and deadly accurate thanks to the targeting computer. It's a very aggressive design, favored by aggressive pilots, and Siedman will be feeling very aggressive after his humiliating loss. The fact that it's lighter than the Kraken is offset by the fact that it's an omni, and inherently superior to a standard 'mech by tonnage.

Also, it's a classic design, and Siedman showing up in one will give us a chance to give it a far better operating name than Masakari.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Voting for Urbanmech IIC. 100 tons if possible.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Arglebargle III posted:

That can be arranged. Compliments of Clan Wolf.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

PTN, if I might ask, why must it be an Omni?

After all, he did lose, hegira or not. He was told to defend something and his forces failed to do so.

They took it back pretty much immediately after the mission ended. ComStar got their victory, then withdrew.

As to "why must it be an Omni?" Well, you'll see.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Arglebargle III posted:

I just tried to make a 100-ton IIC. Staying faithful to 2/3/2 you can just about sextouple the armament - 3 UAC/20s and 3 ER Large Lasers. Plenty of ammo and full armor, too.

Possibly not a good thing to give Grier.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

raverrn posted:

I just tried to make a 100-ton IIC. Staying faithful to 2/3/2 you can just about sextouple the armament - 3 UAC/20s and 3 ER Large Lasers. Plenty of ammo and full armor, too.

Possibly not a good thing to give Grier.

Ultra 20s ain't such a thang on a 2/3/2 assault. That thing is so immobile that it's just about never going to get to use them effectively in a good range bracket. cERLLs are much more of a thing.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They took it back pretty much immediately after the mission ended. ComStar got their victory, then withdrew.

As to "why must it be an Omni?" Well, you'll see.

Fair enough. I would've just given him a Behemoth and had done with it, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Fair enough. I would've just given him a Behemoth and had done with it, though.

I was going to, but plans change. Also, it's an excuse to let you name one of the Omnis and I couldn't think of anything better to do.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was going to, but plans change. Also, it's an excuse to let you name one of the Omnis and I couldn't think of anything better to do.

As second-line 'Mechs go, the Behemoth is one that can hold its own, easily capable of holding its own against an Omni.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Ultra 20s ain't such a thang on a 2/3/2 assault. That thing is so immobile that it's just about never going to get to use them effectively in a good range bracket. cERLLs are much more of a thing.

Much like the original it's not good at all when you can't play LoS games. If you can get in range though, 120 damage isn't something a 'mech ignores.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Orders sent.

No need to hurry with the next turn, by the way, as I might not have alot of time next week.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Not really many front-line assault omnimechs to choose from, but how about the Gargoyle C? If the Star Colonel is to be a recurring villain he needs a mech that is suitably intimidating. Also, it would be a good chance to show off a mech that doesn't get enough love. 5/8 assault mechs are amazingly useful and allow for great tactical flexibility. Perfect for intimidating Goons.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

KnoxZone posted:

Not really many front-line assault omnimechs to choose from, but how about the Gargoyle C? If the Star Colonel is to be a recurring villain he needs a mech that is suitably intimidating. Also, it would be a good chance to show off a mech that doesn't get enough love. 5/8 assault mechs are amazingly useful and allow for great tactical flexibility. Perfect for intimidating Goons.

Yeah, the non-Prime Gargoyles tend to be decent fast assaults, although 75 tons is the sweet spot for a 5/8 'mech.

Let's see. For reference, all the Clan Omni Assaults:

Blood Asp
Deimos
Dire Wolf
Executioner
Gargoyle
Kingfisher
Naga
Savage Coyote
Turkina
Warhawk

I've included future clan assault omnis as we don't know what PTN wishes to do with them this timeline.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Why not a custom all-UAC/2 variant of an existing omni?

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Well, because we've already seen how well a 100-ton assault with all UAC/2s works. It doesn't work out all that well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Because sandpapering is only good if there are armor holes to exploit. Otherwise, you're just spreading damage all over the target. Heavier weapons will take a limb off or punch through armor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

wiegieman posted:

Because sandpapering is only good if there are armor holes to exploit. Otherwise, you're just spreading damage all over the target. Heavier weapons will take a limb off or punch through armor.

It is funny that the Clans have a few 'mechs that are designed to sandpaper people like the Kraken and various missile builds...when their tactical doctrine is all about one on one duels. What you need to make a sandpaper 'mech work is to have a second 'mech around with heavy guns like ER PPCs, Gauss Rifles, or AC/20s. The big guns blow the holes, the missiles & AC/2s score the crits.

But that tactic only works if you abandon Zell, so you only get to use it against bandits and non-Kurita Inner Sphere guys.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Aren't most of the "sandpaper" 'mechs non-omnis and/or garrison machines? I get the impression that flufflwise these machines would be hunting worthless bandits anyway.

Either that, or it's more emphasis of the omnimech "every warrior can do everything" philosophy that makes designs like the Mad Dog or Timberwolf that are fast, tough, and engage at every range with a variety of weaponry.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

It is funny that the Clans have a few 'mechs that are designed to sandpaper people like the Kraken and various missile builds...when their tactical doctrine is all about one on one duels.

UAC/2 is pretty effective against aircraft and Elementals. Makes sense to relegate second-liners to defend against these threats while the real warriors are facing off. Or, if you prefer, it's both a punishment and a subtle way to make sure trueborns come off better looking.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Don't forget that also, against vehicles, volume of hits can be far more deadly than the actual damage amount. It's possible for a heavy vehicle's armor to soak an AC/20 round without any effect, but rack up four or five (let alone ten) individual hits and even if the structure is undamaged, chances are reasonably good it's been mobility-killed.

Of course, if you're bucking for TACs and vehicle-crits, LBX autocannons are far more ammunition-efficient than Ultra Autocannons firing in Ultra mode, and can't possibly jam.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Octatonic posted:

Aren't most of the "sandpaper" 'mechs non-omnis and/or garrison machines? I get the impression that flufflwise these machines would be hunting worthless bandits anyway.

Either that, or it's more emphasis of the omnimech "every warrior can do everything" philosophy that makes designs like the Mad Dog or Timberwolf that are fast, tough, and engage at every range with a variety of weaponry.

It helps that the cLRM20 is one of the four Clan wonderweapons that obsolete all others (the others being the cLPL, cERPPC and cERML).

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

It helps that the cLRM20 is one of the four Clan wonderweapons that obsolete all others (the others being the cLPL, cERPPC and cERML).

It's not the weapons, it's the double heat sinks... but I think we had that discussion already earlier. The system is pretty easy to cheese if you want to.

It's true that you get pretty powerful mechs if you stick to just those weapons. 4/6/4 35-tonner with cERPPC and cLRM20, that barely costs 3 million? A Timber Wolf without weapons is around 18 million. 30-tonner 7/11/7 with 5 cERML and targeting computer to counter those is just over 4 million.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

It is funny that the Clans have a few 'mechs that are designed to sandpaper people like the Kraken and various missile builds...when their tactical doctrine is all about one on one duels. What you need to make a sandpaper 'mech work is to have a second 'mech around with heavy guns like ER PPCs, Gauss Rifles, or AC/20s. The big guns blow the holes, the missiles & AC/2s score the crits.

But that tactic only works if you abandon Zell, so you only get to use it against bandits and non-Kurita Inner Sphere guys.
Or you're using the Solaris rules and a targeting computer and calling your shots, sucking up the +3 TH and using your 0/0 skills to be making the hits at whatever range you like.

Think Mechwarrior 3 legsniping.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

EDIT: Hey, check that out! They've got a Robotech Alpha Fighter (or Mospeada Legios if you prefer the original) as a 'mech in this one! You can see one wrecked earlier, but the best shot is in the lower left hand corner of page nine. Granted, it would have ended up as one of the Unseen even if they had, but I'm surprised I've never seen stats for one in Battletech.
That's because it's from Battledroids only. Never made it to 2nd edition. See here: http://heavygauss.com/Droidsmain.html

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's because it's from Battledroids only. Never made it to 2nd edition. See here: http://heavygauss.com/Droidsmain.html

Always seemed odd that if you're gonna rip off re-purpose Robotech that you'd only do the Macross parts and not Southern Cross and Mospeada too.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Arquinsiel posted:

*pokes around*

How do you make a M.A.C. II both taller and stubbier?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ardeem posted:

*pokes around*

Man, that brings me back. I can remember as far back as GenCon 20 in '87 where ther was a "Beat the Monster" scenario. They used 4 inch Robotech models for the player 'mechs and they fought against a full sized MAC II Monster model that had to have been like a foot long with the full size cannons. They'd given it ridiculous stats, made it like 400 tons or something, and it was all about the team of players trying to take down the giant super-mech.

I never got a chance to play it, but I wanted to...oh, I wanted to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

Always seemed odd that if you're gonna rip off re-purpose Robotech that you'd only do the Macross parts and not Southern Cross and Mospeada too.
They didn't touch Robotech, the took it straight from Macross. That's why there are also Crusher Joe and Fang of the Sun Dougram mechs.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

They didn't touch Robotech, the took it straight from Macross. That's why there are also Crusher Joe and Fang of the Sun Dougram mechs.

Given the Harmony Gold lawsuit, I'd rather assumed they had.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Waiting on Rumda. I expect he's still having internet issues.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that's what he gets for signing up with Comstar. Worst ISP for 300 years and counting.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Ardeem posted:

*pokes around*

Reminds me of a cat trying to look up onto a counter. Such an adorable 100-ton monster.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

jng2058 posted:

Man, that brings me back. I can remember as far back as GenCon 20 in '87 where ther was a "Beat the Monster" scenario. They used 4 inch Robotech models for the player 'mechs and they fought against a full sized MAC II Monster model that had to have been like a foot long with the full size cannons. They'd given it ridiculous stats, made it like 400 tons or something, and it was all about the team of players trying to take down the giant super-mech.

I never got a chance to play it, but I wanted to...oh, I wanted to.

Please do this PTN. Have some guys go against a mobile fortress or something, that sounds awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Trochanter posted:

Please do this PTN. Have some guys go against a mobile fortress or something, that sounds awesome!

MW4 Black Knight did this already. It wasn't really great.

Of course, PTN rewriting the Mechwarrior 4 series would be the coolest thing that ever cooled...

• Locked thread