Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Can any UK goons recommend some decent superglue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
DON'T, whateverthefuck you do, use Evo-Stik Serious Glue. I bought a massive tube of the stuff for home repairs hoping to also use it for minis, and it loving sucks. It takes way too long to bond. So yeah.

On another note, just about to take pix of babby's first OSL. I don't know quite how I hosed this mini up so badly after the last one went reasonably well, but he's wound up looking like a twatted-up bumble bee... Pix uploaded in a few minutes.

EDIT: so, other than trying to paint one of WotC's smeary-rear end mold-line-covered pre-painted minis, where did I go wrong?

The problem areas for me, other than the aforementioned sculpting quality (on which note, complete :effort: regarding the mould lines, most of them were hidden by the pre-paintedness before priming, and I couldn't be bothered to get shot of them, they're everywhere):
- The eyes. Was initially trying for a blue glow, but couldn't find the fine line between normal highlighting, and blue eye shadow. Problem compounded by the sculpt, which seems to actually lack eyes at all.
- The OSL from the sword, and the sword itself. The latter is supposed to look like ice, the former a glow from the latter. I hosed it up somehow, but I don't really know how.
- The armour. The steel bits kinda look OK, but the overall effect seems to have come out something like the aforementioned twatted-up bumblebee.

The front of the shield is probably the 'best' bit :(

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 2, 2011

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Zap-a-gap. Never look back.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel. It's the best I've found.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html

The purple one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm a noob and am currently having a terrible time with washes. I'm trying to put dark shading in the recesses of my Space Marines (particularly the limb joints). What if I just painted those areas chaos black with a very fine brush?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Indolent Bastard posted:

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html

The purple one.

This is the correct answer

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Thats usually harder than a wash, and is harder to clean up mistakes. It can still look really good, let me find a tutorial that features it...

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I hosed up the nozzle of my bottle of Insta-Cure+ so I bought a bottle of Zap-a-Gap last night. I'd say I definitely prefer Insta-Cure in general, Zap-a-Gap is a little too thin for just putting models together, although it is better for gap filling. Loctite and the gel version of Loctite are very good too, but the amout of glue in the bottle is actually really small.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ghetto wormhole posted:

I hosed up the nozzle of my bottle of Insta-Cure+ so I bought a bottle of Zap-a-Gap last night. I'd say I definitely prefer Insta-Cure in general, Zap-a-Gap is a little too thin for just putting models together, although it is better for gap filling. Loctite and the gel version of Loctite are very good too, but the amout of glue in the bottle is actually really small.

Once the squeeze bottle of the Loctite won't squeeze any more, you can pull the blue and grey sections of the bottle apart and get at the conventional foil tube hidden within, you can get a few more drops out of this.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Thats usually harder than a wash, and is harder to clean up mistakes. It can still look really good, let me find a tutorial that features it...

But when I use a wash (Badab Black) I turn my little space marine into a horrible blotchy mess. This is especially bad when I want to paint a Blood Angel, because red doesn't go well over black and thus I can't correct the blotches with more red paint.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finished my Harlequins at long last; well, the first tiny group at any rate. Painting the checker pattern was a total pain in the rear end and I'm pretty tired of them at this point, but I am pretty pleased with the end result.

Thanks to the people in this thread (principally TCM, I recall) for getting the color scheme set.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Those are pretty damned legit, nice work dude. I love harlequins so much.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wanna be friends wit dem Harlequins.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Those are some nice Harlequins, I can imagine the pain it must have been painting on the pattern.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ashcans posted:

Finished my Harlequins at long last; well, the first tiny group at any rate. Painting the checker pattern was a total pain in the rear end and I'm pretty tired of them at this point, but I am pretty pleased with the end result.

Thanks to the people in this thread (principally TCM, I recall) for getting the color scheme set.

They look great, glad to see them at last.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks a lot guys, it means a lot to me to get good feedback from you (gonna put these on the 'PV approves' shelf with my Slann :v:) I have another five of them to do - I actually have more than that, but I only need ten for the army and many of the others are in pretty rough shape - but I think that I need to take a break from them for a while so I don't get burnt out.

The pattern was a total dick, I redid the first guy several times trying to work out how to do it. I was feeling pretty confident about painting checks after doing them on some orks, but fitting them to a suit (instead of armor and weapons) was a whole different ballgame.

It's pretty nice to look through my posts in this thread from the last 18 months and feel like I have been making some progress.

Anyway, I'm going to work on sprucing up some of my already-painted Warmachine stuff, maybe do some orks, and then take a swing at the rest of the Harlies (which includes the Great Harlequin and Shadowseer, gently caress)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Baron Bifford posted:

But when I use a wash (Badab Black) I turn my little space marine into a horrible blotchy mess. This is especially bad when I want to paint a Blood Angel, because red doesn't go well over black and thus I can't correct the blotches with more red paint.

Hm. Can you post a picture? You should be able to just go back over the blotches with more Blood Red.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I can just imagine the pure frustration of painting an orange diamond pattern over black.

Thumbs up Ashcans, they look fantastic.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been painting much lately, but here's my Black Reach Warboss I finished up earlier this year.

I want to get a real one or a Wazdakka to work on. Had a drat blast painting and basing this guy.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, any tips for working with Green Stuff? I've got a battlewagon I'm doing and I want to make it nice and Orky.

EDIT: He's not blue, I just gave him a bit of face paint. I need to go back and touch his face up so it doesn't look like I painted him exclusively blue...

TheVekter fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 3, 2011

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Anyone recognise these resin bases?

I was gifted a bunch some time ago and I'd like some more. They're low quality, but they make for good terrain pieces.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
So I just painted something for the first time in probably about a year.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Eyespy posted:

I was gifted a bunch some time ago and I'd like some more. They're low quality, but they make for good terrain pieces.
They're MDP ones I believe, they sell them at my LGS.

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Eyespy posted:

Ooh, sugar cookies. Can I haz some?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Farts
Nov 4, 2005

SRM posted:

Nooooooo :gonk:
Gloss paint is poo poo for painting minis. Paint doesn't go over it at all, it shows through everything, looks awful and is hard to strip off. Buy Simple Green (cleaning agent) pour it into a tub, and put everything you used that awful paint on in it. After 3 days, scrub it clean with a toothbrush and try to remove as much paint as humanly possible. Then get Krylon flat black PRIMER (not paint, primer! Primer lets paint stick to it.) and respray everything.

Ahh poo poo, already got my friend screaming at me for doing this. It's only about 12 figures, bases, guns, etc. Getting Simple Green at walmart and a bigass can of flat black white and black krylon primer so I don't totally gently caress it all up a second time when I'm "paiting for real"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Irish Legend posted:

Don't do this.

In other news, started putting Dreadfleet together. poo poo is super easy, barely need any glue for the ships, everything snaps in place pretty neatly. I'll have pictures of it all before it's hit with primer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

crime fighting hog posted:

Don't do this.

In other news, started putting Dreadfleet together. poo poo is super easy, barely need any glue for the ships, everything snaps in place pretty neatly. I'll have pictures of it all before it's hit with primer.

I wouldn't suggest fully assembling everything before you paint it, or you'll have a helluva time with some of it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

S.J. posted:

I wouldn't suggest fully assembling everything before you paint it, or you'll have a helluva time with some of it.

Oh I'm all over it, most of it isn't glued together and the mast/sails are not put on yet. So far everything is just clipped, cleaned and dry fitted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

DON'T, whateverthefuck you do, use Evo-Stik Serious Glue. I bought a massive tube of the stuff for home repairs hoping to also use it for minis, and it loving sucks. It takes way too long to bond. So yeah.

On another note, just about to take pix of babby's first OSL. I don't know quite how I hosed this mini up so badly after the last one went reasonably well, but he's wound up looking like a twatted-up bumble bee... Pix uploaded in a few minutes.

EDIT: so, other than trying to paint one of WotC's smeary-rear end mold-line-covered pre-painted minis, where did I go wrong?

The problem areas for me, other than the aforementioned sculpting quality (on which note, complete :effort: regarding the mould lines, most of them were hidden by the pre-paintedness before priming, and I couldn't be bothered to get shot of them, they're everywhere):
- The eyes. Was initially trying for a blue glow, but couldn't find the fine line between normal highlighting, and blue eye shadow. Problem compounded by the sculpt, which seems to actually lack eyes at all.
- The OSL from the sword, and the sword itself. The latter is supposed to look like ice, the former a glow from the latter. I hosed it up somehow, but I don't really know how.
- The armour. The steel bits kinda look OK, but the overall effect seems to have come out something like the aforementioned twatted-up bumblebee.

The front of the shield is probably the 'best' bit :(
Anyone?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I'm a noob to painting and am experimenting with washes. I put some Badab Black on this Ultramarine, then corrected the blotches with more blue paint. My result seems even worse in an enlarged photograph.

For comparison, here is another Ultramarine on which I did not apply a wash:

Also, I painted a couple of Blood Angels:

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 3, 2011

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You probably used way too much. Anyways, try to paint the bolters/bolt pistols with two weapons colors. Put the wash on the metal parts, it will give them much more depth. Also next time file/cut off the mold lines.

Edit: A little suggestion that isn't too hard but will make your marine look much better: fill the joint areas of the armor between the leg armor/pelvis/elbows etc with boltgun metal and wash those parts with badab black. Looks much better than if everything is just straight blue.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 3, 2011

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm a noob to painting and am experimenting with washes. I put some Badab Black on this Ultramarine, then corrected the blotches with more blue paint. My result seems even worse in an enlarged photograph.

For comparison, here is another Ultramarine on which I did not apply a wash:

Also, I painted a couple of Blood Angels:

Paint from the inside out. For example, your Blood Angel has the respirator kinda smeared around. If you paint all the inner details (respirator, joints, etc.) first, you then have the option to touch up everything you screwed up. In this case, red is notoriously bad for covering dark colors, but that's easily solved by painting the unwanted black with a thin layer of white and THEN with red.

Black wash is great for shading but you need to learn when to use it; it gives a very dirty appearance (like used car oil) on many bright colors. On the other hand, silver takes it very well. For Ultramarines, a good use would be to apply it to the plate lines (like those technical details on the greaves), and then (almost drybrush) correct the base color. Looks way better.

And the Ultramarine's chest eagle shows a bit of blue underneath - paint too thin? I'd paint it again, then wash with Devlan Mud or something like that (brown wash).

As for that Blood Angel, you can bathe him whole in thin brown wash, he won't mind.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 3, 2011

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I saw this video tutorial where this (very skilled) painter manages to paint red over a badab black wash. I'd like to know more about the special mix he used.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Irish Legend posted:

Goddammit I thought the same thing. :btroll:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Baron Bifford posted:

I saw this video tutorial where this (very skilled) painter manages to paint red over a badab black wash. I'd like to know more about the special mix he used.

It's a simple 2:1:1 mixture, it works but takes a lot of patience and a steady hand.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Its just thinned out paint, theres no mystery there. Washes are fine for marines when youre a new painter, but as you increase your skills you will be able to place shades ONLY where they are supposed to be, so you wont need to slather a model in wash to get that effect. Ultimately the more careful shading placement actually ends up being faster, because youre not painting the model twice to cover the wash.

But for now, experiment with washes, and if youre feeling cocky try to "aim" the wash in just the recessed areas.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Flipswitch posted:

They're MDP ones I believe, they sell them at my LGS.

Got a link or more info? My goggle fu is weak.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think they're these: http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/11461

I might be wrong though.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

I think they're these: http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/11461

I might be wrong though.

No, those actually have some level of production value. These ones are cheap and nasty. Hence their being used for terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Unprimed they look very similar though, ie rather cheap looking. I can't comment how good they actually are as I've never bought them.

A question to UK goons too, any ideas on locations I can pick up sheets of plasticard ? I'm drawing a bit of a blank on this one.

• Locked thread