Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I still want to hear about this Irish Deer. Did that survive past the early editions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
My favorite exchange:

quote:

Zack: I don't know about fangs, but you can bet if I had the power to imbue life to piles of objects I would be figuring out ways to hump it.

Steve: And that is why the age of magic is at an end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This is the second time Koyaanisqatsi has come up in a feature this week.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Just a reminder for folks who don't look at the front page or GBS much:

This year's D&D art contest has been announced!

Check out the thread for everyone's submissions, or to submit one of your own.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Just a reminder for folks who don't look at the front page or GBS much:

But do look at a GBS subforum about the front page? :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Well some people bookmark or favorite threads, and I usually just click the small 'SA Front Page Discussion' link under GBS before I actually go to GBS itself. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New one! And about one of the most underrated WoD games in the line. I remember playing Mummy four years ago with a my group because the DM lent his other books and literally had only that one. The only detail i remember was my character being called Robert U. Tankamen.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-top-module.php?page=1

Congrats to all the winners, placers and so forth in this year's contest! And as for the article discussing it- this just further supports my theory that Steve is not real, but rather a creation of Zack for the purpose of making fun of stereotypes about D&D players. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 12, 2011

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-top-module.php?page=1

Congrats to all the winners, placers and so forth in this year's contest! And as for the article discussing it- this just further supports my theory that Steve is not real, but rather a creation of Zack for the purpose of making fun of stereotypes about D&D players. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

If Steve "Malak" Sumner did not exist, it would be necessary to create him.

-Oscar Wilde

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Buddy Jones' favourite game found:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/dragon-commander-preview/

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

quote:

Steve: Mostly I had to finish old video games I never got around to beating in real life. Like the Shadowrun game for Genesis and Crimson Skies and Crescent Hawks Revenge.
I'm starting to like Steve more and more with each update. As someone who's beaten both, you totally should.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Will the contest campaign and playthrough ever be made? Or have they been forgotten?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Sorry to double-post, but I'm a little worried about the content campaign/playthrough. Have you guys given up on it?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I am also curious about the fate of that event. Is there anything we can do to help? I'd gladly log a few hours balancing statblocks and skillchecks for the cause.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

I apologize and I apologize especially to the authors, but we are not going to be doing a playthrough of the rooms. The rules aspect wasn't the problem - we don't really pay much attention to the rules - the problem was more conceptual. Almost every entry was trying to be funny in some way, which works great as entries in a contest, but does not make for the best in a satirical play-through. From our end the contest was pretty heavily flawed all around and we'll be doing something much different and simpler next year.

To reiterate, the entries we received were awesome, this is not the fault in any way of all the great contributors, we just didn't think this whole thing through very well.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

elpintogrande posted:

I apologize and I apologize especially to the authors, but we are not going to be doing a playthrough of the rooms. The rules aspect wasn't the problem - we don't really pay much attention to the rules - the problem was more conceptual. Almost every entry was trying to be funny in some way, which works great as entries in a contest, but does not make for the best in a satirical play-through. From our end the contest was pretty heavily flawed all around and we'll be doing something much different and simpler next year.

To reiterate, the entries we received were awesome, this is not the fault in any way of all the great contributors, we just didn't think this whole thing through very well.

Will the module still be released?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

BiggerJ posted:

Will the module still be released?

No. Sorry.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That's too bad! Here's the one me and Chorocojo and TyrsHTML submitted that didn't get shown.

Through a tall oaken door, one enters a dimly lit, large 80' long by 20’ wide by 15’ high rectangular chamber. Its walls are covered from the ground to the ceiling by the stuffed and otherwise taxidermically prepared heads of dead creatures and peoples, their faces contorted in fright and anger. Its floor is a fine, solid wood, with a central red carpet leading to the distant end of the chamber. At the far wall, perpendicular to another large oaken door leading out, an ornate fireplace is alit. Before it is a large, high-backed leather chair; upon this chair sits a Lich, dressed in hunter's refinement. By its side lays a massive, shaggy-haired Dire Bear, pulsating with dark power. The hunter cannot be seen from the entrance (as he is facing the fireplace), but as soon as the party enters the room, the door closes behind them, locked by magical power, and the chair turns. The Lich and its companion attack, seeking the heads of those that enter.

The Lich is dressed in classical, Victorian-style hunting gear, with a mighty grey mustache on its sunken, decayed face. It wears a sola topi on its head, and a monocle on its right eye. It carries in its hands an enchanted musket, its primary method of attack. It is the only one that can use this musket, and it melts away upon the Lich’s true death. Its temperament is murderous and condescending; it desires only to add to its already expansive collection of heads, nothing more. It has prolonged its life in order to prove itself the Greatest of Hunters, and so it sees all that it encounters (except its faithful hunting companion) as a soon-to-be addition to his collection.

The Dire Bear is covered in shaggy black hair, nasty looking bone spikes, and is especially dire. It is quite possibly the direst bear anyone has ever seen. It pulsates with dark power. Its heart is actually an artificial, magical construction created by the lich, with the Lich’s phlactery as part of the load-bearing construction. Killing the bear will not destroy the phlactery in and of itself; the bear's heart needs to be destroyed to terminate the lich.

The walls are covered in the very dead heads of the Lich's previous prey, consisting of a variety of very dangerous beasts, as well as quite a few less intimidating ones. The heads are mildly enchanted, such that if one comes into contact with the heads, they will receive 2D3 damage due to their bites. This is true for the Lich and Dire Bear as well!

There were some stats as well but whoooo caaaares.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thanks for the nostalgia bomb on page 9 of the Cyborg Commando update. I love you guys.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
So according to the unhelpful diagram on page 9, cyborg commandos are mouth-breathers who eat and drink through their noses?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Arschlochkind posted:

So according to the unhelpful diagram on page 9, cyborg commandos are mouth-breathers who eat and drink through their noses?

That is what I got from this as well, and it is disturbing.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/cyborg-gygax-1987.php?page=9

Cyborgs gasping for breath, snorting root beer, shoving hamburgers up their noses.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arschlochkind posted:

There nose is labeled "in/out," so evidently they do more than eat and drink through their nose.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

I don't get it. Why is Osama bin Laden looking at a cutaway cyborg head?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's from this ridiculous map of "Bin Laden's Mountain Fortress", a concept that had no basis in reality, published in Time or some other lovely magazine:

It's a running gag in the series, I've seen him on a few images that similarly look like they've been drawn by a child.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I saw that picture and thought "it's Bin Laden's mountain fortress!" before I ecen noticed the Al Qaedo in the corner.

I think Cyborg Commando was one of the funniest recent wtfdnds, so nice job.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's from this ridiculous map of "Bin Laden's Mountain Fortress", a concept that had no basis in reality, published in Time or some other lovely magazine:

It's a running gag in the series, I've seen him on a few images that similarly look like they've been drawn by a child.

This man clearly shotgunned all the Bond movies.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

we've used that gag before in the article about the old Rogue Trader book:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's a joke from the first ever photoshop phriday http://www.somethingawful.com/d/photoshop-phriday/bin-ladens-mountain.php

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Read along as Steve and Zack delve into the scariest monsters D&D has to offer.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Nice update as always, and I was pleasantly surprised to see you pulled most of the art out of Hackmaster this time around.

Then I was unpleasantly surprised by my ability to instantly recognize where D&D monster art comes from.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

When they repeat themselves on the Beholder one... is that a mistake or a joke that I don't get?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

CaptBushido posted:

When they repeat themselves on the Beholder one... is that a mistake or a joke that I don't get?

formatting error thanks for pointing it out

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chainsawdomy posted:

Nice update as always, and I was pleasantly surprised to see you pulled most of the art out of Hackmaster this time around.

Then I was unpleasantly surprised by my ability to instantly recognize where D&D monster art comes from.

Truth. That part where the troll's own severed leg kicks the guy the troll's strangling in the butt brought back some aged memories of laughing at it when Hackmaster did it.

Also, I think a Zack wasn't coloured yellow on the last page. Another formatting error?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh boy, new WTF, DND?!

I couldn't help but read "Upon donning the Neutral Control Helmet, the six laser, jet balls jump to life..." with Gary Owens's voice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A new WTF, D&D? It's a Christmas miracle!

I think the arrows on Constitution's costume may be pointing to his diaper. That costume goes all the way from his forehead to his ankles, it would be a pain in the rear end to get half undressed every time he needs to take a leak. I admire his foresight.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Love that screwdriver line.

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
This is one of the best things on the SA Front Page. I love them to death, even when they make fun of the games I love.

EDIT: I should be clear I am NOT a fan of Symbalata products. Well, minus Systems Failure. But that's neither here nor there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The latest article is about Super Hero team ups.
Personally, I think the funniest line was from the book itself, and not from the commentary:

"Occupation: Conqueror"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I really love the name "Poundcakes." However, my favorite has to the the Supremecists. I want to read that so bad.

But seeing all these brings me back to how comic characters used to all look and how cool I thought they were back then. Looking at them now it's just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The guy with the melty head and the half-gorilla dude actually WERE created in the 1950's. :v: Though Chondu's whole story sort of unravels sort of like a bad dream, as well:

quote:

Doctor Strange later mystically placed Chondu's consciousness within the body of a fawn. The Headmen then gave Chondu a monstrous, demonic-looking form with eight lampreys for arms, bat-wings, a horn from his skull, a forked tongue, and eagle’s feet. In this form, he had superhuman strength, could fly, and could constrict objects with his tentacle-like arms. This drove Chondu insane.

Also:

Schwarzwald posted:

Personally, I think the funniest line was from the book itself, and not from the commentary:

"Occupation: Conqueror"

"Marital Status: Single"

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 6, 2012

• Locked thread