Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

tuyop posted:

Why hasn't anyone built a modular cigarette pouch?

Something with hard sides and mostly waterproof about the size of a pack of regular cigarettes. Cp gear would make a mint.

use a soap dish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Smoke Crack posted:

use a soap dish

This just gets complicated. Soap dish plus baggy. Ugh. Also all my pockets are already full.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

tuyop posted:

Why hasn't anyone built a modular cigarette pouch?

Something with hard sides and mostly waterproof about the size of a pack of regular cigarettes. Cp gear would make a mint.

I just bought a hard case from GT boutique for $1. I can just stuff it in a pocket. I would think no one has made it because of that. Also, why would you need a baggy with a soap dish? Some types are water tight and take a bit of pressure to open.

I don't know what you're doing with all your pockets that you don't have room for something the size of a soapdish.

What are you doing with all your pockets?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elgar posted:

I just bought a hard case from GT boutique for $1. I can just stuff it in a pocket. I would think no one has made it because of that. Also, why would you need a baggy with a soap dish? Some types are water tight and take a bit of pressure to open.

I don't know what you're doing with all your pockets that you don't have room for something the size of a soapdish.

What are you doing with all your pockets?

Magazines, nvgs, water, first aid poo poo, maps, markers, orders, it goes on and on. My tac vest weighs like 20 pounds.

Pants pockets have gloves and soft stuff in them because going into the prone with a soap dish in my pocket would get old fast.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Shaved for the first time in 5 months. I used my tears as moisturizer.

Back to work.

An interesting training year so far. Going down to North Carolina in the coming winter for a brigade ex and possibly again in the spring with a National Guard unit we have ties with (They'd come play with us the following year, which makes it cooler.)

Of more pressing concern is the upcoming 10km march & shoot event. My team and I are the defending champions going in. The guys we sent to CFSAC aren't taking part and this year's roster only has a few guys from last year's winning team. I'm still very confident, though.

A far more daunting challenge is the Cambrian Patrol team we've finally got the green light for. Full backing from the unit including funds to purchase equipment. The downside being they won't say how much money they'll give us. We're compiling a giant wish-list of goodies like Lowa patrol boots, sleeping bags, bergens and gucci rucks.

If anyone here has previous experience with the Cambrian patrol, I'd love to pick your brain. It'll be a first for all of us on the team.

Also, fun fact about getting posted to embassies. Every embassy has at least 10 RMS clerk positions to fill either by CF personnel or civies. Start taking those night classes and you too can enjoy pina coladas on a white sand beach.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 27, 2011

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

Shaved for the first time in 5 months. I used my tears as moisturizer.

Back to work.

An interesting training year so far. Going down to North Carolina in the coming winter for a brigade ex and possibly again in the spring with a National Guard unit we have ties with (They'd come play with us the following year, which makes it cooler.)

Of more pressing concern is the upcoming 10km march & shoot event. My team and I are the defending champions going in. The guys we sent to CFSAC aren't taking part and this year's roster only has a few guys from last year's winning team. I'm still very confident, though.

A far more daunting challenge is the Cambrian Patrol team we've finally got the green light for. Full backing from the unit including funds to purchase equipment. The downside being they won't say how much money they'll give us. We're compiling a giant wish-list of goodies like Lowa patrol boots, sleeping bags, bergens and gucci rucks.

If anyone here has previous experience with the Cambrian patrol, I'd love to pick your brain. It'll be a first for all of us on the team.

Also, fun fact about getting posted to embassies. Every embassy has at least 10 RMS clerk positions to fill either by CF personnel or civies. Start taking those night classes and you too can enjoy pina coladas on a white sand beach.

Pretty much everyone I worked with for the past six years had done a Cambrian Patrol (3RCR's last two teams won gold and silver). I couldn't give you any firsthand help but I may be able to answer a question or two.

Are you going down to Ft. Bragg in NC to conduct the 82nd Airborne division superparatrooper exercise? If so I went last year and it was retarded, minus the fact that it was the first time I've ever been on an exercise where it was not only allowed but encouraged to get drunk, all the time. That's probably the drunkest I have ever been. I was literally barfing minutes before (and possibly after) putting my harness on.

I'm pretty sure I remember you being infantry, are you recce or anything? Because we had an absolutely terrible time finding our counterparts for the exercise, and everything got incredibly hosed up. If you have any questions about Bragg feel free to ask.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Haha no. We're going to Lejeune to play with the Marines. Last time I went south was Mississippi in 08. We were pretty much confined to barracks and completely dry except for what little brew we smuggled with us after several run-ins with local hunters guys thought were part of the scenarios. I poo poo you not, because of the open base policy we had several Mexican stand-offs with very irate and heavily armed good old boys while we had nothing but blanks and simunition.

As for Cambrian, I'd love to know what kind of work-up plan your friends developed, especially since they did so well. Right now, we're fighting to have more than 2 extra training nights a week and the odd week-end here and there. aside from the I/C and myself who are qualified recce and an awesome 2I/C, I've got a whole section of wet-behind-the-ears privates to build up.

I've been hunting down AARs for Cambrian and I know it boils down to basic soldiering skills and switched on troops. Still, I want to put every opportunity possible in our corner. I'll get back to you with a more detailed list of questions, if you don't mind.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

As for Cambrian, I'd love to know what kind of work-up plan your friends developed, especially since they did so well. Right now, we're fighting to have more than 2 extra training nights a week and the odd week-end here and there. aside from the I/C and myself who are qualified recce and an awesome 2I/C, I've got a whole section of wet-behind-the-ears privates to build up.

I've been hunting down AARs for Cambrian and I know it boils down to basic soldiering skills and switched on troops. Still, I want to put every opportunity possible in our corner. I'll get back to you with a more detailed list of questions, if you don't mind.

What I've seen of it, the Cambrian essentially consists of 72 hours of walking around the Welsh countryside with a house on your back doing stands on the way. Start humping. Like, lots. Like not "extra training nights a week"; if you guys want to perform well this is probably going to have to be a full-time workup. If your wet-behind-the-ears privates can't comfortably walk for at least 20km with a standard load on their back it's probably not going to go well.

First aid, foreign weapons, AFV, water crossings, knots, comms; all those basic recce skills (from what I understand it's much more of a recce competition and not a basic soldier skills competition).

I'll try to help as much as I can. If I had DIN access I could easily ask a few of my buddies, but unfortunately I don't :(

edit: The wikipedia page is probably more useful than I am:

quote:

The exercise is a test of military skills including:

* Firing of personal weapons
* Obstacle crossing
* First Aid and Casualty Evacuation (casevac) procedures
* Recognition of aircraft, vehicles and equipment
* Artillery target indication
* Patrol Techniques
* Helicopter drills
* Media handling
* Communications skills
* Handling prisoners of war

Also ruck march forever. "At least 20km" seems to be on the (very) low side of things. Being switched on will probably cover off the necessary military skills, but if you can't walk the ungodly amount of kilometres over the course of the patrol (100+?) then you're dicked.

acumen fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 27, 2011

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

I've found a complete breakdown and review of the 2010 Cambrian:

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/20101018_CP10UnitPXR_SO2G7Trg.pdf

Fantastic stuff covering mistakes that can easily be avoided. Some of the things that really stood out are 10% of teams not knowing how to operate the radios, or going straight over peaks rather than using the contour lines for speedier movement. One of the key mistakes teams seem to keep making is treating it as a competition, a race rather than what it is: a proper 8-man recce exercise.

I'm also trying to get detailed maps of the Brecon Beacons from NDHQ's map archives to combine with satellite pics I've been compiling of the area.

To be quite frank, There are already a couple of guys whose commitment is wavering and some I know won't be fit enough unless they get serious. I'm already preparing myself to spend my own money to organize training in the Laurentians on our own time. I've been pushing for daily meet-ups to do group PT/quiz each other but already, the fact that some of the guys live scattered across the greater Montreal area is rearing its ugly head.

We'll have to do stuff some of these guys have never done like selecting and prepping an LZ, real river crossings and calling in arty. I know they like to throw curve-balls at teams by "killing" the Ptl comd and 2ic or other designated roles so everyone has to know each other's job. But before all this, we've got to be rock solid on basic stuff like land nav (Thank Christ I was thought by guys who never got handicapped by GPS) comms, NBC drills, and section attacks.

We're looking at roughly 60 km over 72 hours across some of the ugliest terrain in the world (one account spoke of humping 55 km through nothing but waist-deep swamp at near-freezing temperatures). It's feasible. HARD, but feasible. I look forward to leaving my bones to bleach under the Cambrian sky.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 27, 2011

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

Fantastic stuff covering mistakes that can easily be avoided. Some of the things that really stood out are 10% of teams not knowing how to operate the radios, or going straight over peaks rather than using the contour lines for speedier movement. One of the key mistakes teams seem to keep making is treating it as a competition, a race rather than what it is: a proper 8-man recce exercise.

This is the sort of stuff that can lose you unnecessary points. I know the guys get a week(ish)-long crash course on all the zany British weapons and equipment, and I remember hearing that their radios are loving crazy. Apparently their old "bat code(?)" or something like that they recently replaced with normal crypto for their radios, so at least you don't have to use this ridiculous slidewheel mechanism to send grids anymore.

It gets hard sometimes, but I'd definitely suggest enforcing that your boys pay some serious attention during that pre-patrol course instead of drinking and enjoying the sights.

The Cambrian is definitely one of the most prestigious things you can do in the Canadian Forces. My army peen is a little jealous, but at the same time I don't really envy you.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
I attempted the 2011 Survival Trial a few weeks ago, it was 40km/24hrs in the hills of northern new mexico, with what I consider a medium load.

The elevation will loving rape you. I'm not in super shape, but my 26yo USMC buddy who is also a power lifter was also struggling.

60km/72 hours is a bit more spread out, but the stands and obstacles sound way harder.

Good luck!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Whats up CF goons! I just read all 51 pages of this thread, good read!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what the deal is for pilot right now? I applied as a DEO pilot in April and they closed my file a week later for "not meeting educational qualifications" as I was not a previously CF trained pilot and that's the only people they were taking this year. I get that a pilot-slot is pretty well the great white buffalo of the CF, but I'm still trying for it. My understanding is that they actually need pilots right now, but there is a ridiculous backlog in training and thats why they aren't hiring. Anyone know if there are a whole bunch of pilot 2LTs sitting around on OTJ still waiting for training, or have they made a dent in it?

I'm really hoping next fiscal year opens up a bunch of slots, I'm getting REALLY sick of being a government cubicle-jockey. I like to think I have a decent shot too, 24 year old civil servant, already have the security clearance, got my degree and within a couple of weeks I'll hold a Private Pilot's License. Plus my resume ain't half bad either. I really just need to get my application infront of a person!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Last year I heard that there was still a three year backlog on pilot training. I assume you're talking fixed and not rotary wing.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
On a related note, I found out one of our new lieutenants was a pilot in training then alledgedly transferred to artillery because he didn't enjoy it. It kind of blows my mind.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

My Spirit Otter posted:

On a related note, I found out one of our new lieutenants was a pilot in training then alledgedly transferred to artillery because he didn't enjoy it. It kind of blows my mind.

I don't understand how someone can make such a drastic change in career path like that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mdivi posted:

I don't understand how someone can make such a drastic change in career path like that.

When he said that, I just figured he got recourse'd too many times(I don't know how many is too many in the pilot world) and switched to artillery out of desperation

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It seems like 20% or more arty officers are failures from other combat arms and are there out of desperation.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
I was talking with a couple of C-17 pilots a couple of weeks ago. One was a re-muster from Stoker. They were saying that there is still quite a training backlog and some guys are waiting a year or more to go for their wings.

Also, they are not taking previous flight experience as an advantage over no flight experience right now. The reason he gave me is that they train you anyway and they're more inclined to take someone who doesn't have 'bad habits' and such.

This was mostly anecdotal, so take it as you will.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Ruse posted:

Also, they are not taking previous flight experience as an advantage over no flight experience right now. The reason he gave me is that they train you anyway and they're more inclined to take someone who doesn't have 'bad habits' and such.

This was mostly anecdotal, so take it as you will.

I've heard that from multiple sources

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Desi posted:

Whats up CF goons! I just read all 51 pages of this thread, good read!

I was wondering if anyone has any information on what the deal is for pilot right now? I applied as a DEO pilot in April and they closed my file a week later for "not meeting educational qualifications" as I was not a previously CF trained pilot and that's the only people they were taking this year. I get that a pilot-slot is pretty well the great white buffalo of the CF, but I'm still trying for it. My understanding is that they actually need pilots right now, but there is a ridiculous backlog in training and thats why they aren't hiring. Anyone know if there are a whole bunch of pilot 2LTs sitting around on OTJ still waiting for training, or have they made a dent in it?

I'm really hoping next fiscal year opens up a bunch of slots, I'm getting REALLY sick of being a government cubicle-jockey. I like to think I have a decent shot too, 24 year old civil servant, already have the security clearance, got my degree and within a couple of weeks I'll hold a Private Pilot's License. Plus my resume ain't half bad either. I really just need to get my application infront of a person!

I'm a 32U, at university right now. They closed some of the intake routes to try to overcome the problems with waiting. It seems that primary is pretty well back up to speed, the follow on training is also coming along but not there yet. The "pilot shortages" thing doesn't really mean poo poo, they've been short 150 pilots for like a decade. The pilot occupation is the biggest officer occupation in the Air Force by a long shot, so that's not a ridiculous shortfall.

Previous flying experience (PFE) does not necessarily help you. That's probably the biggest mindset problem I see with guys that want to apply to be pilots. You're applying to be an officer who happens to be a pilot, and that's what the recruiter is basing your interview on. There are three 32Us at my school, and one has just finished primary - 12 of 20 on his course failed, and most of the twelve had quite a lot of experience. All of the failures were flying skills, because the Grob is not at all like a 172. PFE will not help you pass aircrew selection anymore than someone with a bit of time in Microsoft Flight Simulator, it is worth like two points on your application, and potentially gives you bad habits that you won't be able to break before failing out.

Partly my opinion but also partly documented by DRDC. If you love put-putting around in a 172 and have the money to burn, then by all means, but don't bet your application or your career on it. I'm not discouraging you, but focus in the right directions (community involvement/leadership, further your education in some way, etc).

A nice little catch, too, is that is you have more than 100 hours previous flying experience you lose the opportunity for "make up" flights at PFT that guys with less than 100 get, so you're behind the eight ball from the start. You're always two flights away from being an artillery officer anyway.

I think you'll have to wait and see what they're going to do for recruiting this year. DEO can't stay closed forever. At 24 you're a lot younger than the average age of new entry pilots (32 last I checked. I'm 36), so relax and keep your head down working toward making yourself a better applicant.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Great info guys, thanks! As for my current flight training, I'm primarily just doing it because it was something I always wanted to do and not solely to bolster an application. I am training on a DA20 which I believe is more similar to a Grob than a 172, and am planning on taking some aerobatic lessons soon in the Grob my school has just for the hell of it too.

As for the other aspects by which I could bolster an application to be an officer, I'm actively looking for things I could be doing. I work in a pretty high level government department right now and my overall work experience has things like leadership, teamwork as well as things like stressful and difficult situations covered (I've got a colourful job history). I'm already taking French classes and should be able to test to a (hopefully!) C/B/B level in French by the end of the year, making it my 5th language spoken. I'm also working at whipping my rear end into shape so I can potentially join the reserves as that is something I want to do anyways regardless of whether I get hired as a pilot later on or not.

I also just realized my last paragraph makes me sound like a self-aggrandizing prick, for which I'm going to go ahead and apologize. We shall see what the situation is in March I guess! Thanks again everyone for your input.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
So how does it feel to have your country invaded by SGT Dunson?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

wut?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Smoke Crack posted:

So how does it feel to have your country invaded by SGT Dunson?

Feels good man

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Goddamn it, what is it about on base barbershops that attract the worst loving barbers in Canada. I just got a haircut this morning because I was to lazy to drive 10 minutes to a magicuts or something and I swear the guy forgot to cut half of the hair on top of my head.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Samu posted:

Goddamn it, what is it about on base barbershops that attract the worst loving barbers in Canada. I just got a haircut this morning because I was to lazy to drive 10 minutes to a magicuts or something and I swear the guy forgot to cut half of the hair on top of my head.

I bet you still tipped him.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

The barbershop in Shilo is pretty damned good actually. The only time I've had a lovely haircut from there is when they got a new girl that was fresh out of hair cutting school.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
"It's not what you wanted, but that's what happened, so if you'll just pay me..."

- Dave, the barber at Juno Tower after using a number 2 on the sides and almost bicking the top.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
The worst part about the barbers in they usually are connected to someone on the base. I remember the horrible barber in Meaford she was dating/ married to one of the Sgt's instructing DP1's. If you said anything, your life would suck.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 4, 2011

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Well boys, 45 days until freedom for this guy. I'll be a dope-smoking jobless hippie, because that's all civilians are, according to my leadership. I also couldn't be happier

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I'm seriously thinking about Naval Reserves as an officer, but I have a wedding that I can't miss in the summer and apparently that's when some of the training is. Anyone know anything about the timing of summer training?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I'm seriously thinking about Naval Reserves as an officer, but I have a wedding that I can't miss in the summer and apparently that's when some of the training is. Anyone know anything about the timing of summer training?

This depends completely on which course you're talking about; basic training serials start every couple weeks in St Jean, but other courses like NETPO run every few months in Esquimalt. Generally, you can get leave for a weekend, as long as you tell your instructors well in advance.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's MARS, and someone mentioned Victoria. I'd need more than a weekend, since it's my wedding.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's MARS, and someone mentioned Victoria. I'd need more than a weekend, since it's my wedding.

You'd have to do basic training first which is normally held in St-Jean QC, although for you pretend-navy types I think they do run an officer basic course in Victoria over the summer. I couldn't tell you what dates exactly but that's something you can discuss with whatever shad unit you are thinking of joining.

Your own wedding is a pretty valid excuse, and being the reserves you won't be "forced" to go on a course.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I just recently got an inter-unit posting to a new squadron and troop. Bad news is I'm out of a field troop and into a troop who's business is completely unrelated to my trade and I won't be going to the field anytime soon. Good news is that this new troop actually needs me and I like what I'm doing, plus I'm not spending all my time doing stupid bullshit or sweeping parking lots. We also have a new LT who just got off his dive course and actually goes out of his way to help us out with admin and has made an actual PT schedule doing different things with the PSP staff that has so far been wicked exercise that will benefit anyone who puts an effort in. Motherfucker even raced and just beat me on circuit training this morning, then puked in garbage can after our last set. Best officer I've seen so far in the army.

I'm conflicted though. In this new troop I'm working outside of my trade, and I'm the only Sapper in the troop so I'm afraid I'm not going to get any career courses. LAV 3 Driver, Gunner, TLAV, Comms, 5's, basic stuff like that since the troop can't spare me and getting me qualified on stuff that progresses my career isn't priority for them like it would be if I were still in field troop. The field troops, and the regiment itself is just seriously overmanned and we have 20 more new sappers coming in next week. What can I really do in this situation? I mean I like my job but I also don't want to get my hook and still have never gone to the field. I'm going to be playing catch up to all my buddies just because I got lost in the shuffle. If I put in a memo or do something to get moved back to working in my trade I'm going to go back to the gay bullshit of sweeping parking lots and playing angry birds.

Samu fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 7, 2011

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Welcome to the army.

I don't mean to be bitter (actually, I'm a civvie now, so whatever), but you're singing a song as old as organized bodies of soldiers. Use some nepotism to your advantage. Find somebody with some rank that likes you. I mean, you're not going to get judged based on your actual perforance anyways, and everyone else is going to use nepotism to get ahead.

v0v

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

I just recently got an inter-unit posting to a new squadron and troop. Bad news is I'm out of a field troop and into a troop who's business is completely unrelated to my trade and I won't be going to the field anytime soon. Good news is that this new troop actually needs me and I like what I'm doing, plus I'm not spending all my time doing stupid bullshit or sweeping parking lots. We also have a new LT who just got off his dive course and actually goes out of his way to help us out with admin and has made an actual PT schedule doing different things with the PSP staff that has so far been wicked exercise that will benefit anyone who puts an effort in. Motherfucker even raced and just beat me on circuit training this morning, then puked in garbage can after our last set. Best officer I've seen so far in the army.

I'm conflicted though. In this new troop I'm working outside of my trade, and I'm the only Sapper in the troop so I'm afraid I'm not going to get any career courses. LAV 3 Driver, Gunner, TLAV, Comms, 5's, basic stuff like that since the troop can't spare me and getting me qualified on stuff that progresses my career isn't priority for them like it would be if I were still in field troop. The field troops, and the regiment itself is just seriously overmanned and we have 20 more new sappers coming in next week. What can I really do in this situation? I mean I like my job but I also don't want to get my hook and still have never gone to the field. I'm going to be playing catch up to all my buddies just because I got lost in the shuffle. If I put in a memo or do something to get moved back to working in my trade I'm going to go back to the gay bullshit of sweeping parking lots and playing angry birds.

What are you doing in this new unit? Opportunities to do something different from your peers don't come around very often and if they end up developing a skill in you that sets you apart from the rest of the guys then it's worth a hell of a lot more than a LAV Driver course or whatever.

Also, be wary putting so much emphasis on the field. The reserve unit I'm with has a decent amount of field time and their drills, experience, and attitude are for the most part poor.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Samu posted:

Nice to hear you've got a switched-on officer. Hope to hell he doesn't get switched off anytime soon. The best officers I ever had all came from the ranks, including my training officer on BMQ/SQ. You ever have an officer that seriously affected how you thought being a soldier should be? He was that kinda guy. And he didn't EVER wimp out, was always in the field, always doing PT with us, friendly and fair but tough as balls if it came down to it. It's when officers like THAT get lazy and demotivated that makes you really worry about the army's future.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Holy hell I take back what I said. Since I'm the only combat engineer in the troop and I'm liked by my Sergeant's and officer I'm getting my name in for every cool course that comes by. I'm pretty sure I'm going on a CQC course, a snowmobile course, and I got my name put in for a US Army Ranger course. Chances of a sprog sapper getting on a Ranger course are tiny, but some chance is better than none and it's just cool I got offered it. Our ops sergeant just walked in while I was working, said "Samu, you're pretty fit right? Want me to put your name in for a Ranger course?", then made fun of me because he said it looked like I was rocking a chubby for the rest of the day.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Samu posted:

Holy hell I take back what I said. Since I'm the only combat engineer in the troop and I'm liked by my Sergeant's and officer I'm getting my name in for every cool course that comes by. I'm pretty sure I'm going on a CQC course, a snowmobile course, and I got my name put in for a US Army Ranger course. Chances of a sprog sapper getting on a Ranger course are tiny, but some chance is better than none and it's just cool I got offered it. Our ops sergeant just walked in while I was working, said "Samu, you're pretty fit right? Want me to put your name in for a Ranger course?", then made fun of me because he said it looked like I was rocking a chubby for the rest of the day.

:stare:

Get everything, every course, all of them. That owns.