Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Well, considering Fate/zero ties into HF more than any of the other routes, we haven't gotten HF animated yet, and TV censorship would thunderfuck HF as far as both gore and sex go, I'd say you're on to something here. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
This anime seems like prime fodder for a betting pool on who dies first.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That was a pretty bad rear end first episode. Really couldn't wait to watch this and pretty much met my expectations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best part of Carnival Phantasm is the Alleyway Alliance. It is my greatest lamentation in life that I can't find any way of getting their pose animation to fit SA avatar restrictions.

But yeah, that first episode was really good, especially for something that was 99% set-up.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 2, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Endorph posted:

The best part of Carnival Phantasm is the Alleyway Alliance. It is my greatest lamentation in life that I can't find any way of getting their pose animation to fit SA avatar restrictions.

But yeah, that first episode was really good, especially for something that was 99% set-up.

The Alleyway Alliance bits are probably the most consistently funny. Which was within my calculations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I was impressed with the first episode: glad I've got something to watch this season.

I'd love to see Heaven's Feel animated, or at least Unlimited Blade Works. F/SN was a trainwreck of an anime.

VVedit: When did that happen? :pwn:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 2, 2011

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
Umm, Unlimited Blade Works WAS animated. As a movie. Nice animation in the fight scenes and also, no terrible CGI dragons.

We've moved to CGI dolphins. :toot:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

One and the Same posted:

VVedit: When did that happen? :pwn:

Looks like it released in January of last year. Don't know if it was any good since I didn't bother checking it out.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
As far as I know the F/SN movie was pretty much 100% fight scenes with none of the plot or exposition for them to make any sense.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Manyorcas posted:

As far as I know the F/SN movie was pretty much 100% fight scenes with none of the plot or exposition for them to make any sense.

It was basically a movie for people who have played the route in the visual novel and wanted to see the numerous (awesome) fight scenes animated. It moves really quick from one action set-piece to another. So yeah, you are correct about that.

The first episode was fantastic, I'm actually really glad they had a double-length first episode to fit in all the set-up. It's weird how a first episode could be considered 'bad rear end' when it was all exposition and dialogue, but it works and I can't wait to see more.

edit: VVVV They really were mediocre, really forgettable and without the emotion and motivations behind some of the fights they feel really empty.

Rueish fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 2, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
And the fight scenes weren't even very good.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sindai posted:

And the fight scenes weren't even very good.

Understatement.

The UBW movie was one of the most god-awful anime I've ever seen.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A very weird first episode - I would have expected it either to concentrate on all the Masters or just one, but unless I'm mistaken we didn't see either Lancer or Caster being summoned. (I've avoided the novels, so please don't spoil this too hard if I'm wrong.) I was disappointed with the episode being all build-up, but I suppose frontloading it all isn't too bad, although infodumping the Grail War setup is an odd choice for something that spoils :fsn:. Waver and Kariya also seemed nice enough, but this is the Nasuverse so I wonder how long that'll last. LittleRin was great, though.

One line raised a geeky Nasuverse question, though. During the discussion of Kotomine's backstory, the characters seemed to distinguish between "the Church" and "the Holy Church". Is this why the Nasuverse Church seems so unrealistic - they refer to part of it as the whole? Or is it just mistranslation?

(Edit: I understood that they were talking about the Eighth Sacrament; what I meant was, when Nasustuff talks about "the Church", does it always refer to the Eighth Sacrament rather than the Church itself?)

jonjonaug posted:

Lancer's lovely luck strikes again.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 2, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

House Louse posted:

LittleRin was great, though.
True enough. I don't think I can take much more Sakura though. :smith:

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Hey, the Emiya/Archer fight was pretty cool in the movie. The rest was pretty forgettable, sadly.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
About Waver and his motivation, it's more detailed in the novel if I remember right but you have to keep in mind that he's constantly looked down on for something out of his control. It's not so much arrogance as it is frustration; he is indeed a very brilliant young magus who works hard, but he's never acknowledged for any of that because he doesn't come from an old family of mages and now he just got publicly humiliated by an rear end in a top hat of a teacher for it. (He is kinda arrogant though that's just not the main driving force here)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

House Louse posted:

One line raised a geeky Nasuverse question, though. During the discussion of Kotomine's backstory, the characters seemed to distinguish between "the Church" and "the Holy Church". Is this why the Nasuverse Church seems so unrealistic - they refer to part of it as the whole? Or is it just mistranslation?
I'm guessing the latter is used a code phrase for the 8th Sacrament which goes around killing demons, executing magi/heretics and collecting religious artifacts.

House Louse posted:

Lancer's lovely luck strikes again.
To be fair that was an inbetween frame and not really noticeable when watching the movie.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sledeau posted:

Hey, the Emiya/Archer fight was pretty cool in the movie. The rest was pretty forgettable, sadly.

Yeah, Shirou vs. Archer and Shirou vs. Gilgamesh were both pretty well done (even if Shirou's UBW was cut a little short) even if the rest was mediocre.

And yeah, you pretty much have to go frame-by-frame to notice most of the lovely animation in UBW, it's pretty nice-looking if you don't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I have no idea who the chariot guy is, but he is already my favorite character.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

I have no idea who the chariot guy is, but he is already my favorite character.

An excellent choice if you ask me =)

Thread Killer
May 14, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, Shirou vs. Archer and Shirou vs. Gilgamesh were both pretty well done (even if Shirou's UBW was cut a little short) even if the rest was mediocre.

In terms of animation, they were good, but they strayed from the story in some pretty offensively major ways. I really prefer the earlier fights, because they follow the actual outline of the fight in the VN.

As for the first episode of Zero, it was everything I was hoping for. The pacing was good, it gave all the info, the animation looked good even with the quality on niconico. My high expectations have been met so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It was very much a setup episode. We'll see how it goes once they have to animate something more taxing than a basement full of worms and a bunch of talking heads.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Somewhat on topic: New ad for Carnival Phantasm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGB8xzPd3A

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I love how much more personality the characters have than like 90% of F/SN's cast, even just 45 minutes in.

The episode was a little heavy on the infodumping, though. I guess it's better if they get it all out of the way at once instead of constantly stopping the action to explain the rules of the Nasuverse.

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?

jonjonaug posted:

Somewhat on topic: New ad for Carnival Phantasm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGB8xzPd3A
I'm almost ashamed to be really excited for a Type-Moon parody OVA, but the first season (particularly Episodes 1 and 4) was just the funniest thing.

Looks like Saber Alter will be making an appearance this season too.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Had high hopes for this show, so far it's more than living up to them. Totally looking forward to next episode when we should start to get some Rider action going, because he's a strong contender for coolest character in the Nasuverse, and is voiced by Akio Ohtsuka, aka Batou/Solid Snake/Blackbeard.

I only ever read the first two novels or so before I got blocked by slow translation. I wonder if I should go back and finish them or wait and eat the spoilers from the anime instead.

In any event, keep in mind how few of these characters show up in Fate/Stay Night ten years later. Gonna be a bloodbath Tomino'd be proud of.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Bakanogami posted:

Had high hopes for this show, so far it's more than living up to them. Totally looking forward to next episode when we should start to get some Rider action going, because he's a strong contender for coolest character in the Nasuverse, and is voiced by Akio Ohtsuka, aka Batou/Solid Snake/Blackbeard.

I only ever read the first two novels or so before I got blocked by slow translation. I wonder if I should go back and finish them or wait and eat the spoilers from the anime instead.

In any event, keep in mind how few of these characters show up in Fate/Stay Night ten years later. Gonna be a bloodbath Tomino'd be proud of.

Put it this way, the author says in the endword to novel 2 and novel 1 that "This will be a depressing end," and "How many of these friends will die," and it... Its like what if Happy Tomino wrote like Sad Tomino. The novels are glorious and you should read them.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

The Alleyway Alliance bits are probably the most consistently funny. Which was within my calculations.

speaking of which, did anybody go to that website and vote for the next episode? I did a while back when it was open. I think they polls were leaning on the epic fail date everyone scenario.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

This anime is my first foray into the Fate/Whatever series, and I have to say that I feel really wierded out by the whole "class" system. It feels kinda gamey, which is in big contrast with the tone of the series. Sort of like... Madoka with Hit Points or something.

I am willing to roll with it, though. The series shows promise.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Rexides posted:

This anime is my first foray into the Fate/Whatever series, and I have to say that I feel really wierded out by the whole "class" system. It feels kinda gamey, which is in big contrast with the tone of the series. Sort of like... Madoka with Hit Points or something.

I am willing to roll with it, though. The series shows promise.

In the VN, the protagonist sees power levels and skill explanations like an RPG menu, so it seems to be a shtick Nasu went with.

Here's Saber's as an example, not sure if that's the complete one though since I haven't beaten any of the routes yet and that's from my save file. Doesn't reveal anything that the OP of this thread didn't, but I'd rather keep it in a link anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, pretty much, though those stats end up amounting to nothing given how everyone has game-breaking abilities anyways. F/SN's Lancer's never-miss critical attack always comes to mind given his tendency to lose.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wait, what? F/SN is a visual novel, right? You read text and occasionally click on text and that's all, right? Why the hell bring stats into this if it's not actually an RPG? And even make them an in-world element instead of a metagame one?

Man, I feel really disappointed right now, but the first episode has earned the series a three-episode test, at least...

Rexides fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 4, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Allarion posted:

Yeah, pretty much, though those stats end up amounting to nothing given how everyone has game-breaking abilities anyways. F/SN's Lancer's never-miss critical attack always comes to mind given his tendency to lose.

The grades are especially silly since Saber's normal sword is listed as Rank C, but when she pulls it out as Excalibur it goes through the loving roof to A++.

FS/N's Lancer is bound to lose anyways if just due to that silly rear end jumpsuit he's stuck with.

EDIT:

Rexides posted:

Wait, what? F/SN is a visual novel, right? You read text and occasionally click on text and that's all, right? Why the hell bring stats into this if it's not actually an RPG? And even make them an in-world element instead of a metagame one?

Man, I feel really disappointing right now, but the first episode has earned the series a three-episode test, at least...

It's how Shirou sees them, since it's a familiar format to him. Rin might see them as different brands of tea, or Kiritsugu might seem them like calibers of ammo. Shirou is just a big nerd who sees them like RPG menus. :v:

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 4, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The game thing is kinda wonky but does it seriously ruin the show to you?

EDIT: And yeah, Rin explicitly states that the stats thing is just a way of making things simple for the person reading the book thing that shows them. Shirou's a nerd, and most people reading the VN probably understand RPG stats, so that's the way things go.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rexides posted:

Man, I feel really disappointing right now, but the first episode has earned the series a three-episode test, at least...

Nothing in the Fate universe is going to be another Madoka. The whole setting is all goofy power levels and needlessly complicated systems of magic from the beginning -- it basically is an RPG, just being played by somebody other than the viewer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like the RPG stats are literally used within the story, as in a character exclaiming "I know I can dodge, his Special Attack is only ranked C+ !" There are a few offhand comments by some of the characters about how they view their servants' attributes, but other than that it's just some fun little RPG stuff for fans to read and sperg out about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

It's not like the RPG stats are literally used within the story, as in a character exclaiming "I know I can dodge, his Special Attack is only ranked C+ !"

Except yeah, they are. "He must have a Noble Phantasm that blocks any attack below A rank!"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Nate RFB posted:

It's not like the RPG stats are literally used within the story, as in a character exclaiming "I know I can dodge, his Special Attack is only ranked C+ !" There are a few offhand comments by some of the characters about how they view their servants' attributes, but other than that it's just some fun little RPG stuff for fans to read and sperg out about.

Pretty sure Saber says, with rank lettering, why she can't hurt Berserker, as well as other possible instances I probably haven't seen yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's weird, I'd been convinced of that for years. Though if it was in Fate that'd make sense since I read that a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sentrygun posted:

Pretty sure Saber says, with rank lettering, why she can't hurt Berserker, as well as other possible instances I probably haven't seen yet.
I'm pretty sure Saber was saying that because she knew how Shirou understood the capabilities.

• Locked thread