Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spurite Based
Jan 18, 2005

I really love how we'll be getting an Ultimate comic every week and, because of Ultimate Fallout and having a closer knit continuity, each issue feels like a new chapter of one big story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Spurite Based posted:

I really love how we'll be getting an Ultimate comic every week and, because of Ultimate Fallout and having a closer knit continuity, each issue feels like a new chapter of one big story.

Gotta agree. I think that this relaunch has been the best and most consistent one this year :v:

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Deadpool posted:

Yes! Very much this. Before what I normally did was buy the singles, then wait until a few arcs were done and sell them on ebay then put that money toward a TPB. I do this with most comics because I just don't like having singles around. The digital thing is going to end up costing me more because I won't be able to sell anything back to get the trades, but it so makes up for it in convenience, time, and space saving. I love digital comics and love that Marvel is pushing the Ultimate books out same day.

I'll say it again, though, this only works if Marvel stops favoring certain platforms over others. I still can't read any of my Marvel digital comics on my devices because of ... well, no idea why, they just don't support it for some reason. DC, on the other hand, does.

To keep this on topic, though, I did get USM #1 digitally and read it on the web just to read it (I was out of state when it released, no access to my pull list comics) and it was okay.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Couldn't get my hands on the first issue of the new Ultimate Spider-Man (sold out everywhere), but I bought the second issue yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised.

Have all the new Ultimate Comics series given good first impressions?

Also, whats the download size for digital comics?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

SpaceMost posted:

Couldn't get my hands on the first issue of the new Ultimate Spider-Man (sold out everywhere), but I bought the second issue yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know how it works on the portable devices, but on your PC, digital comics are read through your browser; you don't download them.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Evil Sagan posted:

I don't know how it works on the portable devices, but on your PC, digital comics are read through your browser; you don't download them.

On portable devices you have to do file management, choose which you want to download and which you don't. You can redownload, though, so it's not a big deal to just nuke the stuff you've already read.

Also, there is a digital comics thread, sorry I kept the discussion going here.

tinkaaberu
Oct 30, 2003

SpaceMost posted:

Marvel comics come out to around 10-20MB when I download them onto my iPad.

As for first impressions Ultimates #1 really grabbed me and didn't let go. I've never read a Hickman comic before but after reading Ultimates I'm tempted to go and check out his FF run. X-Men was a bit of a slow starter and mostly seemed to be going over stuff Fallout covered but still, it interested me enough that I'm not going to drop it any time soon. Spiderman on the other hand has some wonderful art but it's just so boring, hoping it picks up soon otherwise I'm just not going to bother with it.

What is the overall opinion like for Hawkeye? Is it worth picking up?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

tinkaaberu posted:

Marvel comics come out to around 10-20MB when I download them onto my iPad.

As for first impressions Ultimates #1 really grabbed me and didn't let go. I've never read a Hickman comic before but after reading Ultimates I'm tempted to go and check out his FF run. X-Men was a bit of a slow starter and mostly seemed to be going over stuff Fallout covered but still, it interested me enough that I'm not going to drop it any time soon. Spiderman on the other hand has some wonderful art but it's just so boring, hoping it picks up soon otherwise I'm just not going to bother with it.

What is the overall opinion like for Hawkeye? Is it worth picking up?

Hawkeye is very much worth picking up. Already ties into Ultimates and seems like it's going to tie into X-Men as well. And it's only 4 issues, so you really don't have much to lose if for some crazy reason you don't like it. But you will, because it's by Hickman and he never disappoints.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hawkeye was pretty good. Doesn't seem particularly inspired, though, and there's a world of difference between what I've read compared to the Ultimates.

God, the Ultimates #2 was loving great.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

rugbert posted:

Its not, its just the Ultimate version of The World from 616 X-Men

Hickman says it's actually Carey's Children of the Vault. :science:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did a re-read of Ultimate Spider-Man before the relaunch and its kind of weird how little fallout there was at the Kingpin getting murdered. Also how anticlimactic it was considering how important the character was to the series for so long.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

muscles like this? posted:

I did a re-read of Ultimate Spider-Man before the relaunch and its kind of weird how little fallout there was at the Kingpin getting murdered. Also how anticlimactic it was considering how important the character was to the series for so long.

I like how little it matters that Kitty Pryde is a loving murderer.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The whole post-ultimatum period of ultimate Spiderman feels like a weird mess of loose ends. Like Peter was supposed to die then but someone at the top said "oops, not just yet. Lets stall for time for a few months."

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

invalid user posted:

I like how little it matters that Kitty Pryde is a loving murderer.

When did this happen?

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

When did this happen?

Wasn't it her that picked up and tossed Kingpin out the window?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

invalid user posted:

Wasn't it her that picked up and tossed Kingpin out the window?

If by Kitty you mean Mysterio then yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, not sure how you got Kitty out of that.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

I remember red and super strength. Eh, oh well.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

invalid user posted:

I remember red and super strength. Eh, oh well.

Again, not sure how you got Kitty out of that.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Sion posted:

Again, not sure how you got Kitty out of that.

Isn't her new costume essentially the Red Hood? Don't tell me it's brown, I'll cry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

invalid user posted:

Isn't her new costume essentially the Red Hood? Don't tell me it's brown, I'll cry.

Her costume is red, but Mysterio's isn't. And she doesn't have super strength. She can only change the density of herself. She also doesn't have laser hands, which is how Kingpin was killed.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Her costume is red, but Mysterio's isn't. And she doesn't have super strength. She can only change the density of herself. She also doesn't have laser hands, which is how Kingpin was killed.

It's been a long time since I read the issue, my memory is obviously wrong but I remember her picking him up and tossing him out the window. The only excuse I can give is that I don't remember well because none of it meant much to me *shrug*.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Look, can we all just agree that invalid user is always wrong and move on? :P

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Sion posted:

I always said you were a great poster. Looks like I was wrong!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sion posted:

As is the custom on the internet, we must all mock and sneer until our fingers are red and bloody and can type no more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so with the conclusion of Ultimate Fallout: Death of Spider-Man does that mean we will never hear from Mary Jane, Aunt May and Gwen ever again? That's too bad since it seemed like a really rushed way to sweep them all out of the series, also Fury dropping the bomb that he knew Pete's father and had watched him grow up and was grooming and blah blah blah useless fluff that means little now that Peter's DEAD

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aces High posted:

so with the conclusion of Ultimate Fallout: Death of Spider-Man does that mean we will never hear from Mary Jane, Aunt May and Gwen ever again? That's too bad since it seemed like a really rushed way to sweep them all out of the series, also Fury dropping the bomb that he knew Pete's father and had watched him grow up and was grooming and blah blah blah useless fluff that means little now that Peter's DEAD

Aunt May is supposed to be in the new Spider-Man in some capacity.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I am almost positive they will return in a mentor role.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity

SpaceMost posted:

Sold out everywhere? wow. My LCS had tonnes of them on the shelves.
I got both USM and UXM #1's and I'm keeping them sealed. Not that they'll really ever be worth much.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm positive one of the old cast will give miles petes old webshooters.

Sleepless Dreamer
Jun 5, 2008

it's my calling to tell nerd :roboluv:ers how to :roboluv: properly

Three Red Lights posted:

And then Miles' family will be killed by a robber, and Aunt May will adopt him...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sleepless Dreamer posted:

And then Miles' family will be killed by a robber, and Aunt May will adopt him...

Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.letsbefriendsagain.com/2011/09/28/when-you-know-whats-coming/

Edit: I really dig Miles's uncle's hat. I don't know why, but I want one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Three Red Lights posted:

If memory serves, wasn't he already web-swinging in Ultimate Fallout? I'm guessing he's got organic shooters.

I have a really terrible memory though so I am probably dead wrong

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

USM begins before Peter died I think.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TwoPair posted:

If memory serves, wasn't he already web-swinging in Ultimate Fallout? I'm guessing he's got organic shooters.

I have a really terrible memory though so I am probably dead wrong
No webs in Ultimate Fallout #4, but I just noticed he uses the sting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

USM begins before Peter died I think.

It does. It says as much at the start. The spider escapes 11 months ago.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Actually that reminds me, if Miles is 13 at the moment, that means he'll be 14 when Peter dies, possibly almost 15.

That's only a few months from when Peter started.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Mister Roboto posted:

Actually that reminds me, if Miles is 13 at the moment, that means he'll be 14 when Peter dies, possibly almost 15.

That's only a few months from when Peter started.

Miles is going into middle school/junior high. I believe the implication is that he'll be thirteen when the story rejoins the current Ultimate timeline.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I've justs recently started reading Ultimate Xmen, and I'm at around volume five or six. So far it really just feels like the writers are just making a bunch of cameos from the regular universe show up and then leave without causing anything too long-lasting to happen (the Hellfire Club/Pheonix event feeling notably offensive in its unimportance). Does this start to change at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

KillerQueen posted:

I've justs recently started reading Ultimate Xmen, and I'm at around volume five or six. So far it really just feels like the writers are just making a bunch of cameos from the regular universe show up and then leave without causing anything too long-lasting to happen (the Hellfire Club/Pheonix event feeling notably offensive in its unimportance). Does this start to change at all?

Millar's run(1-12, 15-33, and the Ultimate War mini) is largely considered the best and pretty much tells a complete story. Bendis' run kind of focuses on some Wolverine sub-plots that were hinted at some point or another, but doesn't do anything too earth shattering. Brian K Vaughn (46-65) is okay and resolves the Gambit stuff, but kind of sucks. Kirkman and everyone after that is pretty much what you describe: who can we Ultimize this month.

So I'd say stop reading after you get through Vaughn's issues. The quality trends down pretty quickly with Kirkman. Starts out okay, but takes a huge nose dive as Loeb's Ultimatum gets closer and closer.

• Locked thread