Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Bluetooth human being posted:

Cthulu Saves the World is supposed to be pretty good. Very early 90's style to it, and it has Cthulu. It's not free, but 3 dollars isn't much at all. Breath of Death seems even more old school, not sure about that one though.
These are both excellent old-school Comedy RPGs and if you dislike them then you are a bad person and you must revoke your Pro gamer card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Diogines posted:

I've never played the sort of war-turn based games like Panzer General before, but I want to try them.

What sort of game like that should I play, to start off?

I don't mind complex games, I love Paradox games, after all, but where should I start?

Battlefield Academy is a friendly way to get into Panzerlikes (yeah that's right)

And Panzer Corps is a shameless yet decent remake of the O.G. Panzer original general

GiggidyGoop
Jul 21, 2009
For those that want to play something quick and fun I'd like to recommend a game my students did. They did everything and deserve all credit. It's one of the best student games I've ever seen

http://sketchquest.webs.com/Webplayer/MainGame.html

It's a platformer where you draw all the items you use in game in a great sketchbook art style.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Does anyone know of any ports to run on modern Windows for old classic fps especially looking for Shadow Warrior.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Shadow Warrior I'm not sure where you'd find, but GOG has Blood, Blood 2, Duke 3D, Rise of the Triad, and a few others I'm probably missing.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm looking for a platformer, preferably a very good one

And not supermeat boy or that other one where you flip upside down to platform(I forget the name).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

A Jupiter posted:

My friends and I are looking for something other than Starcraft 2 to play on game nights. Basically anything that supports only 4-8 people and is on the PC.

We already have Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2 and Bloody Good Time in mind.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2: Retribution.

All the micromanagement, unit comp, and strategery of an RTS without the pesky base building.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Brace posted:

And not supermeat boy or that other one where you flip upside down to platform(I forget the name).

I will recommend VVVVVV even though you said no to it, because it is my favorite platformer of all time.

But if you really don't want that one, check out Trine, or PB Winterbottom (two puzzle-platformers).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Brace posted:

Didn't specify platform, so.

PC
Eversion - A rather simple (in execution) platformer with a small twist that puts it into an almost horror game.

Limbo - This is kind of a platformer, but it's more of a puzzle game with some platforming.

N - The classic where you're a ninja, and you have to get to the exit.

Spelunky - A roguelike platformer. Divided into four areas, with four levels each. Each level is different. Very hard, but probably one of my personal favorites.

Braid - If you haven't heard of this, I don't know what to tell you. But it's a platformer where you have some control over time.

Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns - A fantastic throwback to the old Donkey Kong Country games that were on the SNES. A lot of people says it plays better with the classic controller, but I found the wiimote to be fine.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Very easy, yet still fun game. You're Kirby.

New Super Mario Bros Wii - It's Mario, on the wii, and supports four player Co-op.

Bit Trip Runner (Also on the PC) is a fantastic music/platformer hybrid.

PS2

Klonoa 2 - I love this game. It's fun, but kind of easy and short. Traditional 2d gameplay.

Sly Cooper Collection (Also has an HD remake on the PS3 that utilizes the Move) - Cel shaded platformer. Don't know too much about it, as it didn't grab me, but people seem to like it.

DS

New Super Mario Bros - Classic Mario gameplay.

There's lots more. Especially if you start straying into the hybrids (Veiwtiful Joe, Cave Story, etc). Of those above I would recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns, Klonoa 2, and Spelunky above all others.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm looking for games which take less than an hour to finish entirely. I don't mean arcade-style games where you play the same 45-minute segment repeatedly until you excel at it, either: just short, fun experiences. Eversion is a good example of what I'm looking for here. There are probably some decent flash games that do this, too.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I want a game with a high degree of character development/tinkering (like Icewind Dale II or JA2, especially with the 1.13 patch). i'd also like it to have a good actiony feel - basically, something in real time.

I have a PC, a Wii, and a PS2. Any suggestions?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Brace posted:

Psychonauts has just been updated for Steam, with achievements and cloud support. It's a fantastic platformer and a fantastic game.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

I want a game with a high degree of character development/tinkering (like Icewind Dale II or JA2, especially with the 1.13 patch). i'd also like it to have a good actiony feel - basically, something in real time.

Considered Dragon Age: Origins ? Less complicated character development than a True D&D ruleset, and the entire game can be played as a no-pause hack and slash on the easier difficulties.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Jinnigan posted:

If you liked IWD2, then NWN2 should be a shoo-in, it improves on IWD2 in just about every way possible, and is just as tinkery. Also, its second expansion (masks of the Betrayer) is supposed to have an incredibly cool story, although I've never actually gotten around to playing it.

Fallout: New Vegas is also a great game that fits your criteria, unless you specifically want a squad-based game.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I would like to play a turn based RPG on the PC and I'm a huge fan of games like final fantasy tactics, disgaea, jrpgs, but I am also open to games that are similar to Morrowind, which I've logged a ton of hours in. The main thing I am looking for is to have it run on my laptop(Win7 Fujitsu T4220). I have Cthulu Saves the world and Breath of Death 7 which I enjoyed- anything on steam would be a plus. I am playing through Bastion on 360 so a real time game would be okay- I just have a touchpad on this thing I'm also playing through Mass Effect 2 on 360 so anything by Bioware is also gold as long as I haven't played it. How is NWN2? I loved NWN1 but that was forever ago. I also loved league of legends but I really want something I can play while I am visiting my girlfriend.

Also a strategy game would be good as long as it slow paced, but something I can get into and out of. Single player would be better.. I'm going to re-install dwarf fortress and try it out again.

Recommend me a game, goons!

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 1, 2011

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

White Chocolate posted:

How is NWN2?

I didn't like it. However, Mask of the Betrayer is quite fun and has a better story, in addition to having a synopsis of NWN2's original campaign's events as your first journal entry.

I'm trying to find a game with flowing movement. Like, Mirror's Edge (sort of, at times) or the SSX games have. Preferably nice enviroments and ambient music to go along with it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

I would like to play a turn based RPG on the PC and I'm a huge fan of games like final fantasy tactics, disgaea, jrpgs, but I am also open to games that are similar to Morrowind, which I've logged a ton of hours in. The main thing I am looking for is to have it run on my laptop(Win7 Fujitsu T4220). I have Cthulu Saves the world and Breath of Death 7 which I enjoyed- anything on steam would be a plus. I am playing through Bastion on 360 so a real time game would be okay- I just have a touchpad on this thing I'm also playing through Mass Effect 2 on 360 so anything by Bioware is also gold as long as I haven't played it. How is NWN2? I loved NWN1 but that was forever ago. I also loved league of legends but I really want something I can play while I am visiting my girlfriend.

Also a strategy game would be good as long as it slow paced, but something I can get into and out of. Single player would be better.. I'm going to re-install dwarf fortress and try it out again.

Recommend me a game, goons!

Considered Civ 4 or Civ 5 for a strategy game ? Turned based, campaigns can last forever, and you can just start and stop your game at your leisure.

Also going to drop another line for Dragon Age: Origins again if you want a rock solid Bioware RPG. (Avoid DA2, It's not that great IMO :smith:) The ability to pause and plan your strategy is still there from NWN, so, I think it'd be right up your alley.

Anatharon posted:

I'm trying to find a game with flowing movement. Like, Mirror's Edge (sort of, at times) or the SSX games have. Preferably nice enviroments and ambient music to go along with it.

Even though its sandbox and GTA-Like, Prototype had pretty drat fluid movement and was fun as hell. The environment is sortof rundown urban wasteland however, so maybe not that great of a match.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 1, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Anatharon posted:

The Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia games sound like what you're looking for. In Prince of Persia, especially, you can pull off some really cool-looking poo poo once you have the hang of it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Digital_Jesus posted:

Considered Civ 4 or Civ 5 for a strategy game ? Turned based, campaigns can last forever, and you can just start and stop your game at your leisure.

Also going to drop another line for Dragon Age: Origins again if you want a rock solid Bioware RPG. (Avoid DA2, It's not that great IMO :smith:) The ability to pause and plan your strategy is still there from NWN, so, I think it'd be right up your alley.

I have Dragon Age:Origins for 360 but a friend is playing through it now, I haven't touched it. Maybe it is time to get into Civ, but every time I see people playing it it just seems so... pointless or over complicated? I loved SC2 but ...

I was just looking for something that I could get running on my PC. Civ maybe next

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
JUST jumped into this thread at the very last page, so I truly hope I've not skipped a recent post along these lines (sorry if so!).

I was playing some old SNES games the other day, and loaded up Utopia. Seems to be one of those forgotten cartridges no one's ever heard of, but was pretty drat fun. For its time... It's basically SimCity in space, for lack of a better analogy. I'd love to find something like this, but quite a bit more modern. Alpha Centauri was something mentioned to me awhile back, but it's more of Civ in space, so not quite what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? :)

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Old and mediocre, but Outpost springs to mind.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

White Chocolate posted:

I have Dragon Age:Origins for 360 but a friend is playing through it now, I haven't touched it. Maybe it is time to get into Civ, but every time I see people playing it it just seems so... pointless or over complicated? I loved SC2 but ...

I was just looking for something that I could get running on my PC. Civ maybe next

For what it's worth DA:O on 360/PS3 is pretty different from what it is on the PC.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

kissekatt posted:

Sweet, I'll check those out. Thanks! :)

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

kissekatt posted:

Mediocre is right. I don't usually argue against someone else's recommendations, different strokes for different folks and all, but no one should play Outpost. It's terrible, completely buggy, and not even close to fun.

Unfortunately though not many space games like that are going to be very modern. Star Control 2, Startopia, Master of Orion 1 and 2 are as close as I can think of. Startopia being the one I'd recommend the most, but it's kind of a business sim and not city.

Almost all the space games being released now are RTS or Civ like games focusing on building colonies to support fleets, or action games like X3 or Freelancer. I would love to find something like SimCity in space (I oh so wanted Outpost to be good when it was released).

Edit: Dammit, I was too late.

Woland
Nov 7, 2005
New to the thread, and havent read all 75 pages, so I apologize if Im repeating something thats been asked and answered ad nauseam.

I played final fantasy tactics for the play station a long time ago and immediately enjoyed almost everything about it, and have yet to see that type of game since. Im not into consoles much right now.

Was wondering if there was any sort of tactics style game equivalent for the PC. I loved managing and leveling up units, the story, the gameplay/battle style.

Are there any type of games like that?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Woland posted:

New to the thread, and havent read all 75 pages, so I apologize if Im repeating something thats been asked and answered ad nauseam.

I played final fantasy tactics for the play station a long time ago and immediately enjoyed almost everything about it, and have yet to see that type of game since. Im not into consoles much right now.

Was wondering if there was any sort of tactics style game equivalent for the PC. I loved managing and leveling up units, the story, the gameplay/battle style.

Are there any type of games like that?

Hopefully it doesn't have to be fantasy. Cause there are a number on the PC.

Jagged Alliance 2 - I strongly suggest reading the OP. Very in depth strategy game, with leveling, inventory management, the works. Very open strategy wise too. Set in a sort of modern warfare (not the game) type setting.

X-Com - Is set in the future. Aliens invade earth, and you have to build and manage a base, set tech research, build and hire your team, etcs, and then go out and fight those aliens however you want. Destructible environments too.

Fallout Tactics - Like the above, but without base management and using the Fallout rules.

If you're willing to go console, there's stuff like Ogre Battle (many different consoles), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), The Front Mission Series (PS1 - PS2), and a whole slew of others, almost all fantasy based. Some of those if you do get your hands on you might be able to emulate on your PC in case you sold your console.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I thought Mercenaries on Xbox was the coolest game ever. Calling in airstrikes and bunker busters and blowing up everything is super rad. Dropping a surgical strike on a card bounty makes me laugh maniacally. I'm playing Just Cause 2, and it's almost perfect, but you can't call in any kind of airstrike to blow stuff up, grenade/triggered explosive ammo is expensive, and carrying an RPG takes up your machine gun slot, so firefights get a lot tougher. Mercenaries 2 was terrible. Any other suggestions for games with huge explosions, death from above/laser targeting, and destructible environments? Doesn't have to be third person, FPS is also fine.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Just a note about Just Cause 2, if you're playing it on anything other than Easy then everything will be much less fun, because there's way less ammo and the prices for stuff is prohibitive. I realised this and restarted it on Easy and the game was twice as good. Laying out dozens of explosive charges and then detonating them from thousands of feet above is a gaming highlight.

My suggestion would be Far Cry 2 for the huge explosions and chaotic sprawling gun fights. Of course, you'll be walking or driving long distances, and you have about the same inventory restrictions as Just Cause 2, so you really have to dig that kind of 'safari death-dealer/explorer' type schtick to get the most out of it. Unlike Just Cause you can't call your friendly heli-taxi to help out, or rapell around. You're mostly on your own in the middle of africa.

There's also Op Flash 2. Although it's narrative led, you get to call in arty and use laser guided rocketry and tanks and all that good stuff. Big explosions in the game are very enjoyable. It's still bastard hard and has lovely ally AI, but eh.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 4, 2011

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I love the absolute poo poo out of Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2 and was wondering if there are any more PSP games similar to that. I know there's VC3 but I'm pretty sure it's Japan only and won't ever get a US release.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Bluetooth human being posted:

X-Com - Is set in the future. Aliens invade earth, and you have to build and manage a base, set tech research, build and hire your team, etcs, and then go out and fight those aliens however you want. Destructible environments too.

X-Com was set in the future when it was released. 1999 is now in the past :v:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm looking for a good, arcadey, singleplayer FPS for PC. Preferably one that lets me rocket jump a lot, and ragdoll physics.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

nrook posted:

I'm looking for games which take less than an hour to finish entirely. I don't mean arcade-style games where you play the same 45-minute segment repeatedly until you excel at it, either: just short, fun experiences. Eversion is a good example of what I'm looking for here. There are probably some decent flash games that do this, too.

The Binding of Isaac is probably a good choice. Gross as hell zelda homage with roguelike elements, designed to be finished in short sessions.

It's a shame it was made on flash, though.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

This is an unusual request but if you think of anything remotely like what I'm describing that exists please tell me about it. I'm looking for a retro styled game but instead of the usual 80s throwback it's based on early compact disc games. With more storage space, the advent of CD gaming promised a more cinematic multimedia experience, but the reality in the mid-nineties was something else entirely. I'm looking for something more recent that seeks to replicate this experience.

For instance, it could have an animated intro and in the game there's dialogue where it's just text and a character portrait with bad voice acting over it and lots of reverb (like Symphony of the Night) then there's a few cutscenes too. One could be prerendered 3d with really basic geometry and solid color textures, the next could just be still drawings of the scenes with voice acting over it, then there's another cutscene with just the drawings but this time they're just pencil sketches on lined paper torn out of notebook, and it's actually a video camera filming these pages as a hand moves them to change scenes. And finally there's one that's just a really low budget live action video with actors in costumes on a poorly constructed set. There could also be funny load screens between all this, but they wouldn't be as long as they were back in the day, that would be cruel. It could also include other mid-nineties artifacts like photo sprites (like Mortal Kombat) and whatever that was they used to make Donkey Kong Country look 3d.

Sorry, that was kind of rambling, but I seriously do want to know if something like it exists. I've heard some of the games in the Cho Aniki series do things like incorporating live footage into the gameplay but I'm not sure which one(s). Is there any game that does silly stuff like that from a Western developer?

Anyway, you're probably thinking "Why not just play old games?" but what I'm looking for something that does this in a self aware way, like how Tim and Eric mimic weird public access TV. Basically I'm looking for the Tim and Eric of videogames.

Maybe I should just make a new thread, this is getting pretty long. Should I?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Tre Past Cool! posted:

This is an unusual request but if you think of anything remotely like what I'm describing that exists please tell me about it. I'm looking for a retro styled game but instead of the usual 80s throwback it's based on early compact disc games. With more storage space, the advent of CD gaming promised a more cinematic multimedia experience, but the reality in the mid-nineties was something else entirely. I'm looking for something more recent that seeks to replicate this experience.

For instance, it could have an animated intro and in the game there's dialogue where it's just text and a character portrait with bad voice acting over it and lots of reverb (like Symphony of the Night) then there's a few cutscenes too. One could be prerendered 3d with really basic geometry and solid color textures, the next could just be still drawings of the scenes with voice acting over it, then there's another cutscene with just the drawings but this time they're just pencil sketches on lined paper torn out of notebook, and it's actually a video camera filming these pages as a hand moves them to change scenes. And finally there's one that's just a really low budget live action video with actors in costumes on a poorly constructed set. There could also be funny load screens between all this, but they wouldn't be as long as they were back in the day, that would be cruel. It could also include other mid-nineties artifacts like photo sprites (like Mortal Kombat) and whatever that was they used to make Donkey Kong Country look 3d.

Sorry, that was kind of rambling, but I seriously do want to know if something like it exists. I've heard some of the games in the Cho Aniki series do things like incorporating live footage into the gameplay but I'm not sure which one(s). Is there any game that does silly stuff like that from a Western developer?

Anyway, you're probably thinking "Why not just play old games?" but what I'm looking for something that does this in a self aware way, like how Tim and Eric mimic weird public access TV. Basically I'm looking for the Tim and Eric of videogames.

Maybe I should just make a new thread, this is getting pretty long. Should I?

Darkstar sort of fits your criteria. A recent live-action FMV adventure game that started development when FMV games were still a thing, featuring several cast members from MST3K. I haven't played it myself, but early reviews were surprisingly positive.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I want an RPG that I can play and get super powerful in. Like, hilariously broken powerful. I was going to play Fable III but that won't even run on my laptop thanks to some lovely game-breaking glitch. Is there anything else where you can be so hilariously overpowered? Bonus points for being open world.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I want an RPG that I can play and get super powerful in. Like, hilariously broken powerful. I was going to play Fable III but that won't even run on my laptop thanks to some lovely game-breaking glitch. Is there anything else where you can be so hilariously overpowered? Bonus points for being open world.

Would you count the Disgaea series? It's much more SRPG than RPG, but you can get your characters to level 9999 if you wanted to...then reset your levels any time and eventually be able to get 250 levels with one swipe of your sword while doing at least a hundred thousand damage per enemy.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. Oblivion. KOTOR or KOTOR II. Vampire: Bloodlines.

Any of those games will either level you up to omnipotent status, or allow you to buy/craft/tweak your character to the same point.

Of course, you can also gimp your character by spending points foolishly, but you really have to go out of your way to make that happen.

Vampire is probably the easiest to screw up, but "giftxp" will solve any problems with that.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want to play a Gothic-like RPG where you're a dude in third person with a solid combat system and you start out as a total wimp and slowly work your way up to be powerful. For PC and not Two Worlds.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Splash Damage posted:

I want to play a Gothic-like RPG where you're a dude in third person with a solid combat system and you start out as a total wimp and slowly work your way up to be powerful. For PC and not Two Worlds.

Witcher II or Dungeon Siege III, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Morrowind and Oblivion. If ever there was a game series you could break and become hilariously overpowered in, it's The Elder Scrolls.