Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eh, all Lunars, Fire tribe bastards, outsiders are the same to me. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, the Ducks must get some sort of bonus to growing food, because they ALWAYS have full larders and will always help you out (if they like you). Chances are if you're having a bad year food-wise, the rest of the clans in your area are having a bad year too. Try the clans that are further away.

Tindalos posted:

Plus then there are the two... Unorthodox cults of Vinga and Nandan. Who can basicly be summed up as "Women who do mens work", and "Men who do womens work". Vingans wear kilts and trousers, wield spears and swords, and join the thanes. Nandani wear dresses, shave off their beards, look after children, and cook.
Then there are the Helerings, who look after the sheep, are the shieldmen to warleaders, tend to go into battle clad only in woad, consist of both men and women, and sometimes switch between the two. Heler is somewhat strange.

drat. That owns bones.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Though there is an event where Tarsh, the Orlanthi Kingdom north of Dragon Pass comes to the Heortlings colonists of the Pass seeking mercenaries in the war they're currently fighting against Lunar Aggression (which they're doomed to eventually lose).

Yeah! Your explorers to the area will bring you updates on how that war is going. I always thought it seemed to be going well for the Tarshites, since my explorers would always come back with tales of magical twins dropping mountains on Lunar armies, or Tarshite hero-kings doing whatever with powerful artefacts...I'm sad to find that they lose the war. Always felt a connection to those guys.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The setting for this game is really interesting; it's a shame that a quick google search didn't really turn up any decent sources of information. :saddowns:

Since Weaponthanes are career warriors and cattle raids work fine with very few people, can I just send weaponthanes on them to avoid the usual penalty for raiding in Sea/Earth?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, the Ducks must get some sort of bonus to growing food, because they ALWAYS have full larders and will always help you out (if they like you). Chances are if you're having a bad year food-wise, the rest of the clans in your area are having a bad year too. Try the clans that are further away.

drat. That owns bones.

Yeah! Your explorers to the area will bring you updates on how that war is going. I always thought it seemed to be going well for the Tarshites, since my explorers would always come back with tales of magical twins dropping mountains on Lunar armies, or Tarshite hero-kings doing whatever with powerful artefacts...I'm sad to find that they lose the war. Always felt a connection to those guys.

I don't think the Ducks get a bonus so much as they just automatically have food, seeing as they don't keep cattle or any of the other parts of the Orlanthi economic model

Hell, does the game even directly track resources for anybody else? I figured it was mostly random numbers with a few basic checks for stuff like how much they've been raided lately etc. to get things in the ballpark

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I don't think the Ducks get a bonus so much as they just automatically have food, seeing as they don't keep cattle or any of the other parts of the Orlanthi economic model

Hell, does the game even directly track resources for anybody else? I figured it was mostly random numbers with a few basic checks for stuff like how much they've been raided lately etc. to get things in the ballpark

From what I've heard, and seen, the game keeps track of EVERYTHING. From how many cows that one clan down on the south eastern side has, to how much the humakti care about the black tree clan, to how many sheep are currently being raised next door to you.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

President Ark posted:

Since Weaponthanes are career warriors and cattle raids work fine with very few people, can I just send weaponthanes on them to avoid the usual penalty for raiding in Sea/Earth?

Yup! However, you always have to send 1 footman, and sometimes that ONE guy will refuse to muster in Sea/Earth because MY CLAN NEEDS ME, MAN! YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!

Tindalos posted:

From what I've heard, and seen, the game keeps track of EVERYTHING. From how many cows that one clan down on the south eastern side has, to how much the humakti care about the black tree clan, to how many sheep are currently being raised next door to you.

There are also three whole Troll clans that the game tracks just as it does the Orlanthi. Supposedly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I would really love to see an in depth analysis of the game engine and its quirks. Its so unlike other strategy games in how in conceals most of the hard facts away from you. Its heartening on one hand to have to run with incomplete info, and immensely frustrating on the other when there is so little means to get any intel at all.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You can see this effect if you just raid one clan over and over again multiple times per year. After a (surprisingly short) amount of time they'll run out of bodies to throw at you and be unable to mount effective offenses/defenses, and your raids will start getting shittier returns for cattle/goods captured.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Tindalos posted:

I've seen and heard similar things. The really neat thing about this game is that even if it doesn't track that much, it puts up a pretty good simulation of doing so. I love the opaqueness and uncertainty that comes from not knowing all the ins and outs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I would really love to see an in depth analysis of the game engine and its quirks. Its so unlike other strategy games in how in conceals most of the hard facts away from you. Its heartening on one hand to have to run with incomplete info, and immensely frustrating on the other when there is so little means to get any intel at all.

The engine that the game runs on is insanely old, and being such a niche game I'd imagine not many people with the skill care to delve into its guts. But yeah, I love that there is no real optimal way to play, and that nothing is ever certain to work.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

President Ark posted:

You can see this effect if you just raid one clan over and over again multiple times per year. After a (surprisingly short) amount of time they'll run out of bodies to throw at you and be unable to mount effective offenses/defenses, and your raids will start getting shittier returns for cattle/goods captured.

Yeah I know this but given how much KODP relies on the RNG to make things that are really very simple feel complicated without evidence to the contrary I'd guess the mechanics there are less "Apple clan has 400 goods, 800 barley, and 127 cows, you just took 38, 89 cows remain to be stolen" and more "Apple yields 10-40 minus 5R cows per raid, where R is how many raids you've done against them in the past year or so; after ~10 sequential raids they relocate and reset"

I mean if their economy was tracked as a hard figure like the player's was they'd take more than the year or two they normally do to recover from getting totally assfucked, and it'd be plausible to eliminate them as a force. They don't seem terribly responsive to stuff like feuds with other NPC factions either, suggesting that stuff's just for show.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 1, 2011

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

President Ark posted:

A good deal of the time if you don't accept their peace terms or they reject your counter offer they'll just magic up some "mercenaries" and then you're back to square one, although if you're running with 20+ thanes and a 300+ fyrd it's just a speed bump.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Coolio posted:

A good deal of the time if you don't accept their peace terms or they reject your counter offer they'll just magic up some "mercenaries" and then you're back to square one, although if you're running with 20+ thanes and a 300+ fyrd it's just a speed bump.

That can be interpreted as hiring thanes, actually. Though there is a specific event I've seen where my warriors were hired in a mercenary capacity. It makes sense, since one of the options to recruit thanes is from outside the clan. It might not be the correct interpretation, but it satisfies me.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

zkline posted:

That can be interpreted as hiring thanes, actually. Though there is a specific event I've seen where my warriors were hired in a mercenary capacity. It makes sense, since one of the options to recruit thanes is from outside the clan. It might not be the correct interpretation, but it satisfies me.

They don't just get thanes though they get their whole fyrd back too

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Coolio posted:

They don't just get thanes though they get their whole fyrd back too

I'm pretty okay with that, considering the alternative is the death spiral the player can get into and ends with the entire Pass depopulated every drat game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

The engine that the game runs on is insanely old, and being such a niche game I'd imagine not many people with the skill care to delve into its guts. But yeah, I love that there is no real optimal way to play, and that nothing is ever certain to work.

As I said, I both love and hate it. Love it because, yeah it keeps people from just doing "optimal" poo poo and lets you get pretty wild about the choices you make, and the things you do, without having to get bogged down with details. But gently caress having to redo a heroquest a million goddamn times because "WHEOOPS LOOKS LIKE YOU DIE TO BITING THINGS WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY AGAIN N/N"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine all the trouble that could be prevented by getting your thanes to wear Chasity belts.

Especially when sexy plant women are running amok.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

etalian posted:

Imagine all the trouble that could be prevented by getting your thanes to wear Chasity belts.

This game just keeps getting kinkier and kinkier! :q:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just love losing my most promising ring-member to a "no, gently caress you" moment while questing. Repeatedly.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
So I sent countless (I mean, like 50 thanes) at the craigspider one at a time. Every single time they reach her, I demand they attack where they get vaporized. My ancient enemy is the trolls. Every single time the troll messengers come and ask me to quit harassing the queen I kill them instantly. I had the iron spike and told the trolls to go eat a dick when asking me to get rid of it.

And yet, the queen never attacks me. What gives? I raided the ducks like twice and got demolished by beastmen, but I can't get the queen to march on my tribe and ruin it? Pfffff....

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

big duck equals goose posted:

So I sent countless (I mean, like 50 thanes) at the craigspider one at a time. Every single time they reach her, I demand they attack where they get vaporized. My ancient enemy is the trolls. Every single time the troll messengers come and ask me to quit harassing the queen I kill them instantly. I had the iron spike and told the trolls to go eat a dick when asking me to get rid of it.

And yet, the queen never attacks me. What gives? I raided the ducks like twice and got demolished by beastmen, but I can't get the queen to march on my tribe and ruin it? Pfffff....

It takes a whole lot to provoke the trolls into ruining your poo poo on any difficulty other than Hard. The game expects that you're gonna have to fight them sometimes, unlike the beastmen who will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Is there any digital distribution way to get this game for pc or mac that's not :filez: ?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mecharasputin posted:

Is there any digital distribution way to get this game for pc or mac that's not :filez: ?

Unfortunately not. Hopefully A Sharp gets over whatever hesitation they have about it since, I mean, they just remade it for iOS. It can't be completely unmodifiable.

Edit: Looks like some art for the game is for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/daviddunham

Snakepipe and Chaos would be awesome to have.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 2, 2011

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Concerning digital distribution, A-Sharp has stood firm on this issue for years. I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon. The iOS version is superior anyway, and that, of course, is digital. It is receiving new content and updates whereas the Windows version hasn't been touched for years. Just thought I'd poin all this out.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

zkline posted:

Concerning digital distribution, A-Sharp has stood firm on this issue for years. I wouldn't expect it to change any time soon. The iOS version is superior anyway, and that, of course, is digital. It is receiving new content and updates whereas the Windows version hasn't been touched for years. Just thought I'd poin all this out.

Not everyone has an iOS device. I don't really expect them to change position on PC digital distribution, and I understand it's not so trivial logistically, but man, I would kill for an Android release of this.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
They'd have to find some way of making the android marketplace profitable for that to happen

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

etalian posted:

Sexy plant woman you say? Tell me more :allears:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I just love losing my most promising ring-member to a "no, gently caress you" moment while questing. Repeatedly.

Why are you questing with your most promising ring member? Dumbass, never bet what you can't afford to lose. Only send someone valuable in if they match the god of the heroquest and it's an easy one.

The biting things devour ring members incessantly, so don't send anyone skilled to face them. Just send chumps, you'll win eventually.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Why are you questing with your most promising ring member? Dumbass, never bet what you can't afford to lose. Only send someone valuable in if they match the god of the heroquest and it's an easy one.

Yup pretty much use them as Star Trek redshirts for the hero quests.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Yeah your ring should pretty much be your Chief, an awesome warlord/trader (not the same guy), maybe an Eurmali since they're rare and will pull your rear end out of the fire on occasion, and everyone else is expendable fodder for heroquests and saying hi to the Trolls and such, you just keep them around for Sacred Time magic and passive levelling so you have some chance of succeeding at those things.

If there's one constant in KODP is that nothing lasts, nothing can be preserved, it can only be spent wisely trying to push your chieftain to the finish line before they also die.

E: also I love that the quest stage he's talking about is immediately recognizable.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 3, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GyverMac posted:

Sexy plant woman you say? Tell me more :allears:

Horny thanes make sexy time with nice plant women and get afflicted by a bad STD.

And again you have to to waste magic resources to bail them out of the fire.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

etalian posted:

Horny thanes make sexy time with nice plant women and get afflicted by a bad STD.

And again you have to to sit and watch and laugh

FTFY

They'd just get murdered loving up a cattle raid a month later anyway

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

FTFY

They'd just get murdered loving up a cattle raid a month later anyway

At least they found a cure for the 6 month itch.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Call me when the cattle get sick and I'll start caring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Call me when the cattle get sick and I'll start caring.

Cattle can be traded but thanes can not.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I thought it was carls that got the plant lady dickrot

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

andrew smash posted:

I thought it was carls that got the plant lady dickrot

It was. Either way, evil plant women should not be messed with, kinky or not.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yeah your ring should pretty much be your Chief, an awesome warlord/trader (not the same guy), maybe an Eurmali since they're rare and will pull your rear end out of the fire on occasion, and everyone else is expendable fodder for heroquests and saying hi to the Trolls and such, you just keep them around for Sacred Time magic and passive levelling so you have some chance of succeeding at those things.

I don't know if it's specific to the god being worshipped, but I had an Uroxi on my ring and whenever I got some event involving Chaos I had an additional "Do it in the name of Storm Bull! :black101:" option which always worked and gave me a bunch of magic, so there's that.

re: Plant Woman STDs: I had some luck when this came up by doing "Send a party out to catch her" (not kill her) and then "Gift her to show your goodwill". She left, said I wouldn't have any elf problems if I didn't give them any, and cured all the carls she'd been getting boned by.

You probably shouldn't do that if you picked elves as your ancient enemy, though (mine was ice demons)

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
But Uroxis are by definition disposable meatshields so if you don't send him on occasional suicide missions he'll be sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Meatshields? No, Uroxi are badass berserkers that can drink twice their own weight in a single sitting and then punch some chaos in the goddamn throat and then go back to drinking, and call that a normal day. They are the epitome of :black101:

• Locked thread