Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Couple of pictures from a recent Far North Queensland track in case anyone's considering a trip there and not quite decided yet..

Totally croc-free, we checked before swimming.

Hard to tell but this is on the edge of a cliff looking out over Cooktown/the Great Barrier Reef.

Get out of the cottage, horse, no apples for you, those are for us.

More animals where they don't belong. On the road this time. Of course I use the term "road" loosely.

Far North Queenslanders really hate it when you hit cassowaries in your car. Heads up. Those things are huge and endangered. And terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey Australia thread, I'd be most obliged if some of y'all could please rank the leading mobile (and mobile only) networks in order of best to worst.
Or if you don't feel like playing this game, instead talk me out of ditching my unbearably poo poo 3 contract/phone for an early Galaxy SII upgrade with Vodaphone... :suicide:... just kidding, Vodaphone are poo poo.
Feel free to ridicule me for being with 3 in the first place, we live and learn.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 27, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey Australia thread, I'd be most obliged if some of y'all could please rank the leading mobile (and mobile only) networks in order of best to worst.
Or if you don't feel like playing this game, instead talk me out of ditching my unbearably poo poo 3 contract/phone for an early Galaxy SII upgrade with Vodaphone... :suicide:... just kidding, Vodaphone are poo poo.
Feel free to ridicule me for being with 3 in the first place, we live and learn.

Telstra is the best now (as difficult as that is to say). They have by far the best 3G coverage and cover the most of Australia.

Optus would be second but had too many people on their 3G network about 12 months ago (not sure now).

The others generally give you more data and better deals than Telstra but quite frankly if you can't even get on to the network to use it then whats the point.

I struggle to use more than 500mb on my Telstra contract and I use it on the bus every day.

Stay the gently caress away from Vodafone.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Virgin is quite good, but being an Optus re-seller, 3G can be quite flaky, their network is still way oversubscribed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ta for the replies. They kind of just confirm my suspicions, if I want usable 3g I'll have to go with Telstra.
Optus wont see penny one from me, never again.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
I haven't seen sport come up in this (great) thread yet. Most of my questions are exploratory and in that vein, so feel free to skip the majority of this post if necessary.

I'm a big AFL fan and a neophyte cricket watcher, so obviously Melbourne is the place to be. I barrack for North and Weagles but love good competitive footy above all else (which is why I can't move to Adelaide :p).

How popular is MMA? Is anyone knowledgeable w/r/t martial arts training in general (BJJ and Muay Thai)? I (perhaps naively) assume that there are loads of recreational or intramural sports leagues that people can join (footy, cricket, etc). I'm also interested in climbing (indoor, outdoor, anywhere), bicycling, and powerlifting if anyone can comment on these.

From across the Pacific, Australia seems like a somewhat fit culture. Is there any truth to this stereotype? I fully expect that this is bias because of the lens through which I view the country.

I'm a 22yo American male studying web programming and design (javascript, python, some php) with an eye towards self-employment. As I am beginning to build a clientele, I would love to be able to continue helping them once I have relocated to Melbourne. Any input on doing business overseas?

Speaking of freelancing, if anyone can comment on differences between Australian business culture and that of the US, that would be incredibly helpful. I imagine it's mostly the same, but if there are idiosyncrasies I'd love to hear about them. :allears:

I've got $2500 AUD saved and I aim to have about $6000. Seems like a working holiday visa would be the best bet, get a job doing retail or call center work (5+ years retail sales experience) and start applying for IT gigs and freelancing.

Thanks for reading.

taladel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 3, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

taladel posted:

From across the Pacific, Australia seems like a somewhat fit culture. Is there any truth to this stereotype? I fully expect that this is bias because of the lens through which I view the country.

We're the fattest country in the world :australia:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

taladel posted:

How popular is MMA? Is anyone knowledgeable w/r/t martial arts training in general (BJJ and Muay Thai)? I (perhaps naively) assume that there are loads of recreational or intramural sports leagues that people can join (footy, cricket, etc). I'm also interested in climbing (indoor, outdoor, anywhere), bicycling, and powerlifting if anyone can comment on these.

MMA is pretty popular, you'll be able to find BJJ/Muay Thai everywhere, and yes there's lots of casual leagues you can join for other sports which is also a great way to meet people. Climbing is also pretty big. If you're in Vic you have Arapiles and the Grampians, which are some of the best places in the world to climb. http://www.chockstone.org/guide.htm

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

taladel posted:

I'm a big AFL fan and a neophyte cricket watcher, so obviously Melbourne is the place to be.

On a side note, Melbourne has a good small group on goons that get together every few weeks. Might help you set up some sort of social network in Melbourne and perhaps network through to find some work.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
I'm coming on work holiday visa around Mid-March. Is most of the seasonal work gone or not hiring by that time?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Are you talking about fruit/veg picking?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

taladel posted:

Speaking of freelancing, if anyone can comment on differences between Australian business culture and that of the US, that would be incredibly helpful. I imagine it's mostly the same, but if there are idiosyncrasies I'd love to hear about them. :allears:

Australia is less intense, more laid back, more holidays and work stops generally once you leave the office.

Also no one gives a poo poo where you went to college.

But this will vary across industries.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
If you're coming to Australia looking to make money in the IT field... well you won't get far. If you're coming to Australia to make money as a tradesman? You're going to be rich.

Australia is a little backwards when it comes to tech jobs. Everyone wants the work done, everyone wants it done to a high standard, but no-one can reconcile what it's actually worth yet. Until general internet speeds pick up (come on NBN!) Australia will remain a noncompetitive job market for IT.

In terms of seasonal fruit-picking jobs, Summer is the best season for it. The jobs are generally pretty easy to score, and most farmers look after their pickers pretty well (so long as you aren't lazy/don't waste fruit).

I know of a couple of people who kept working most of the year picking various things, but it gets harder to get those jobs when you're moving out of summer fruit.

It's been a few years since I've done fruit picking, though, and that was confined to an area near/around Cairns. Things may have changed since then (probably not, though. Most of the farmers in that area are either old Italians or old Germans; everything is done the same way every year, or they'll slap you upside the head. Keep in mind that many farmers share packing equipment, etc. so if you piss off one farmer, you might as well leave the area. You won't be getting many more jobs there.)

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken

Sharks Below posted:

Are you talking about fruit/veg picking?

Fruit picking, hospitality and other tourist things that exist when its the summer, but are gone by the winter time.

I'm operating on how some American jobs have quite a seasonal hiring cycle and was wondering if Australia had the same kind of cycle.

I doubt if I'd be a good fruit picker I'm pretty slow when it comes to manual labor.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
In our winter (April-Augustish) you'll find there's quite a bit of tourism around up north of me (I'm in Rockhampton, which is in Central Queensland, about 700km north of the state capital, Brisbane) because the weather stays mild up there. Lots and lots of 'grey nomads' travel up that way to escape the southern winter in their motorhomes. You could find work pretty easily I think, depending on your skill set/level.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Fruit picking fucks up your back. Its probably the only manual labour I won't do.

Come to Queensland! We're the awesome state with the best Australia has to offer. We've got the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, great beaches, sunshine, a laid back state capital, wide open spaces, and there's work.

I was going to post more but I'm having a massive RAGE against photobucket and sizing them properly but heres the Whitsundays!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

BCR posted:

Fruit picking fucks up your back. Its probably the only manual labour I won't do.

Come to Queensland! We're the awesome state with the best Australia has to offer. We've got the Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, great beaches, sunshine, a laid back state capital, wide open spaces, and there's work.

I was going to post more but I'm having a massive RAGE against photobucket and sizing them properly but heres the Whitsundays!

Or go to Surfers Paradise. Great area. My favourite place in Queensland.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Are you being sarcastic? Genuine question. Surfer's Paradise is foul. Just my opinion obviously, but I find it plastic, soul-less, vapid and trashy. And that is popular opinion.

But sure, tourist-y stuff wise, why not.

I love the Sunshine Coast.

The Whitsundays are beautiful that's for sure.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been in Perth for almost a week now, and I'm trying to settle in. I've already been rejected from one mobile phone company because they didn't like the fact that I had come from overseas (my credit check failed, apparently?) and spent far too much money in a pub, but at least the weather is better than in Scotland.

Does anyone know any good websites besides Gumtree for finding a house/flat to share? All the real estate websites have unoccupied houses for rent which I can't really afford at the moment. :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=share and http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/share

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Gold Coast beats Sunshine Coast. You don't have to be on Cavill Ave. Take Southport SLSC, Currumbin SLSC, the view of the whole coast from the top of Greenmount at Coolangatta.

:ssh: Once lived on the goldie! :ssh:

Anyway:

gently caress YOU PHOTOBUCKET FOR ALL YOUR poo poo!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I've been in Perth for almost a week now, and I'm trying to settle in. I've already been rejected from one mobile phone company because they didn't like the fact that I had come from overseas (my credit check failed, apparently?) and spent far too much money in a pub, but at least the weather is better than in Scotland.

Does anyone know any good websites besides Gumtree for finding a house/flat to share? All the real estate websites have unoccupied houses for rent which I can't really afford at the moment. :(

I found my first rental through http://www.rent.com.au/

Your mileage will vary because WA is its own country.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. This would be a lot easier if I had a mobile phone, but I'm still waiting on bloody Vodafone to get back to me about processing my order. Why is it so hard to give my money to these people for 24 months? :arghfist::saddowns:

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Sharks Below posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Genuine question. Surfer's Paradise is foul. Just my opinion obviously, but I find it plastic, soul-less, vapid and trashy. And that is popular opinion.

Don't forgot the fact it's a culinary wasteland

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the Gold Coast is arguably the worst part of the Queensland coast.

In fact, it isn't even arguable, it's just a fact. I've been everywhere from Coolangatta to Surfers to the Sunshine Coast to the Whitsundays to Townsville to Cairns to Port Douglas, and the GC is the worst.

I'd say the Whitsundays and Magnetic Island are the best parts of the Queensland coast.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

NoArmedMan posted:

Don't forgot the fact it's a culinary wasteland

That too, it's appalling.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, the Gold Coast is arguably the worst part of the Queensland coast.

In fact, it isn't even arguable, it's just a fact. I've been everywhere from Coolangatta to Surfers to the Sunshine Coast to the Whitsundays to Townsville to Cairns to Port Douglas, and the GC is the worst.

I'd say the Whitsundays and Magnetic Island are the best parts of the Queensland coast.

That's why I thought TWM must have been being sarcastic. It's not even arguable because I've never ever heard anyone say anything good about the GC. Sure it's got hinterlands that are pretty nice (my dog's breeder lives there) but that's not coast, that's hinterland and the SC hinterland still rules hard over it. Maleny, Montville, come on!

I like my part of the coast, it may not be as 'pretty' as the Whits or Maggie but it sure as poo poo has less stingers & other nasties :)

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I was not being sarcastic. I genuinely enjoy being at Surfers. I have had some fun times there and it remains to be one of my favourite places. If you all think I am nuts, here is something to confirm: I did not like Noosa that much. Surfers is tourist-y, plastic and fake but that is why I love it. Each to their own, I suppose.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
I hate Surfers Paradise, but the nightlife is great for getting hosed up and there are hot women everywhere. It's not the nicest stretch of beach on the Gold Coast, a lot of the Gold Coast beaches suck now because the council decided for some reason the beaches needed MORE SAND so we could be just like that beach off Baywatch.

The strip between the Sunshine Coast to Byron Bay is just about the most wonderful area of the world you could ever imagine in my opinion, whether you do the coast, the cities or the hinterland area. Brisbane is very underrated in my opinion. Great people and relaxed vibe. I'm a bit biased of course because I've lived in Brisbane my whole life, but I've been all over the world and I still think the aforementioned region is one of the best there is worldwide.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The sunshine coast is worth a visit, an especially good reason is because you can go to Underwater World and play with the otters: http://www.underwaterworld.com.au/AnimalExperiences/OtterEncounter

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm an Australian citizen but currently not living in Australia. I have an American drivers license and I'm heading back to Australia (NSW) for a month in December. Can I legally drive on my US license, or are there weird laws requiring Australian citizens to drive on Australian licenses? I've tried googling this and it seems to be that if you have a non-Australian license then when you get pulled over by the cops for a RBT then they'll ask to see your passport/visa to make sure you're only staying for a short period of time, and if I whip out my Australian passport, then I'm unsure as to how that will go... Advice? I've looked through rta.nsw.gov.au but it's been pretty useless.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Womens Jeans posted:

I'm an Australian citizen but currently not living in Australia. I have an American drivers license and I'm heading back to Australia (NSW) for a month in December. Can I legally drive on my US license, or are there weird laws requiring Australian citizens to drive on Australian licenses? I've tried googling this and it seems to be that if you have a non-Australian license then when you get pulled over by the cops for a RBT then they'll ask to see your passport/visa to make sure you're only staying for a short period of time, and if I whip out my Australian passport, then I'm unsure as to how that will go... Advice? I've looked through rta.nsw.gov.au but it's been pretty useless.

I'm not 100% sure, it's a strange scenario but I think you're correct in that only temporary visitors to the country are extended the right to drive on international licenses. They want to see a visa with 'temporary' on it whether than be a 457 visa or working holiday visa (I have my visa in the car for just this reason).

Chances of getting stopped are remote but you can always try your best fake american accent and explain your passport is back at your hotel or something. I doubt they'd be too bothered.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ahah! Problem solved. I emailed the RTA:

"Thankyou for your email.

If an Australian citizen takes up residency in another country and they obtain a drivers licence from that country they can legally drive in NSW with their overseas licence if and when they return for any period of time. They do not need to convert it back to a NSW if they are visiting. If you are pulled over by the Police you would need to be able to prove you are only in NSW temporarily."

So essentially I just need to bring proof of my residency in another country with me, to show that I'm not staying in Australia permanently.

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vanilla posted:

I'm not 100% sure, it's a strange scenario but I think you're correct in that only temporary visitors to the country are extended the right to drive on international licenses. They want to see a visa with 'temporary' on it whether than be a 457 visa or working holiday visa (I have my visa in the car for just this reason).

Chances of getting stopped are remote but you can always try your best fake american accent and explain your passport is back at your hotel or something. I doubt they'd be too bothered.

Also, where I live the chances of getting stopped are anything but remote. They have RBTs 1-3 times a week all over the place. drat drunkards.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Womens Jeans posted:

Ahah! Problem solved. I emailed the RTA:

"Thankyou for your email.

If an Australian citizen takes up residency in another country and they obtain a drivers licence from that country they can legally drive in NSW with their overseas licence if and when they return for any period of time. They do not need to convert it back to a NSW if they are visiting. If you are pulled over by the Police you would need to be able to prove you are only in NSW temporarily."

So essentially I just need to bring proof of my residency in another country with me, to show that I'm not staying in Australia permanently.

Nice, keep you flight itinerary and US proof of address with you then.

Also keep the RTA email. Don't expect the police to know or care about the above, the creator of this thread had a similar issue and they tried to fine him thousands if I recall.

Strand
Dec 11, 2008

Maybe someone with low self-esteem and slightly larger breasts.

The Worst Muslim posted:

I was not being sarcastic. I genuinely enjoy being at Surfers. I have had some fun times there and it remains to be one of my favourite places. If you all think I am nuts, here is something to confirm: I did not like Noosa that much. Surfers is tourist-y, plastic and fake but that is why I love it. Each to their own, I suppose.

You can't go out most nights at Surfers without seeing any combination of bogans getting beaten by cops, throngs of drunken teenagers and just all-round scumbaggery. If you do like clubbing, then Surfers should be right up your alley. It's also expensive as gently caress, so be prepared.

Other than that, I really despise South East Queensland. Much if it is a backward shithole, and most tourists will be much better off crossing the border south into NSW > going down the coast, or up north towards Cairns.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Heading up to Nelson bay next weekend, anyone been up there?

Hopefully gonna get a fw dives in and head up to Stockton Bay / Beach to do some 4x4 or dune buggy driving!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Vanilla posted:

Heading up to Nelson bay next weekend, anyone been up there?

Hopefully gonna get a fw dives in and head up to Stockton Bay / Beach to do some 4x4 or dune buggy driving!

I live in the vicinity. The beaches are beautiful, althought it's probably still a little cold around here for swimming. One Mile and Birubi are good surfing beaches, Shoal Bay is good for swimming as it's pretty sheltered with a gorgeous view.

Stockton beach has miles and miles of dunes to go 4x4ing on. Easiest way to get on there is to drive to Williamtown (where the airport is) then go down Lavis Lane for access. There's also a servo right near that roundabout where you can let down your tires or reinflate them once you're done.

If you've got kids, (or you're a sucker for cute animals like me) Oakvale Farm at Salt Ash is a good way to spend a day. Hmmm, what else is there to do around here... there are a heap of dolphin cruises to pick from at Nelson Bay, but I can't say I recommend them.

Gloomiebat
Sep 17, 2005

You are made of boron
Right, my flights are booked, visa's sorted, accommodation done and dusted; what're some must-see/do things in and around Melbourne and Sydney in December? :) I'll be in Melbourne 30th Nov-19th Dec, with most of the 12th, and all of the 13th and 14th up in Sydney (I would've loved to spend more time and see more but I couldn't get the time off work.) I'm not really an extreme sports (or any sports, really!) sort of person but I want to do as much as possible in the time I have so what do you guys recommend? I like night-life, gigs and shows, exploring cities (museums, shops, the usual touristy stuff too) and the surrounding areas (I wanna see some killer scenery if possible- photography is a big hobby; any day trips you'd recommend?) What bars/clubs would you recommend for seeing some local bands? What are your favourite places to hang out in those two cities? Questions! I am so excited about his holiday! :woop:

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

Alright so, I've been looking at coming to Australia from Canada to work/live, and have a couple questions relating to visas and trades.

I was thinking of just getting my Journeyman ticket here in Canada, then applying for a GSM Visa, but I was curious if it would be possible to come before that. Can I apply for an Employer Sponsored Visa or Working Holiday Visa, work in Australia as an apprentice, then apply for a GSM, or even residency status after I complete my ticket? I noticed that Electricians are on the GSM list right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Well I was going to post about how great it should be but I am not 100% sure now. As far as I understand WHP should be reciprocal with the same opportunities offered in both countries. As an Australian I am entitled to come to Canada on a 2 year working holiday visa, there are no working conditions/restrictions and I can apply for it multiple times as long as I am still under the age limit of 31.

Looking on Australia's immigration website it does't really differentiate, it seems the visa is the same regardless of what country you come from, except for 5 or so countries that have further restrictions in place.

You would probably have problems coming over here not qualified so I would suggest you do that first. Wasn't completing your Journeyman ticket only 3 years in Canada? An apprenticeship in Australia is 4 years and first year wages are pretty low so I don't think you would meet the financial responsibilities required to be sponsored. You need to be earning at least $50,000 a year to be sponsored and a first year makes peanuts.

Also they give more consideration to rural jobs, so if you can deal with working in a place like fort mac you can make more money and have better opportunity to find sponsorship. The visa: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/