Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
I started Raising Hope yesterday and I'm already half way through. It's pretty funny show that seems to follow the structure of Funny Hijinks and then moral of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Sports Night should be under drama/comedy.

Its a great show written by the guy who did the West Wing.

Also Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Its the only anime show I ever recommend to non-anime watching people.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Sports Night should be under drama/comedy.

Its a great show written by the guy who did the West Wing.

Also Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Its the only anime show I ever recommend to non-anime watching people.

Alright, duder. Reposting this for the new page.

Drama (The Big Ones)
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Luther
Rescue Me
Twin Peaks
Sherlock

Network TV / "Trashy" Drama
Lost
Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Glee
Prison Break
Desperate Housewives
Heroes
Lie To Me

Sci-Fi
Star Trek
Star Trek: TNG
Doctor Who
Firefly
The X-Files
The Twilight Zone
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Comedy
The Office UK
The Office US
Louie
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Party Down
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Sports Night
Psych

Animated
Futurama
South Park
Archer
Family Guy
American Dad
Home Movies
King of the Hill

The Animes
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Monster
probably some other stuff

I don't know too much about the anime tee-vees but I added a couple others! Further additions to any genres are welcome.

net cafe scandal has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Oct 1, 2011

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Psych is also available on instant watch. I'd consider it a must-watch comedy.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Add Monster to that list of "Anime to show non anime people" as well.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I don't know too much about the anime tee-vees but I added a couple others! Further additions to any genres are welcome.

Comedy
Blue Mountain State (Don't take it seriously, it's satire. Think modern day Animal House)
Running Wilde (Slow start but gets great, lots of Arrested Development callbacks)
IT Crowd
The League
Better Off Ted
Coupling
Trailer Park Boys

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Alright, duder. Reposting this for the new page.

Out of curiosity, why isn't Friday Night Lights in trashy drama?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jibo posted:

Out of curiosity, why isn't Friday Night Lights in trashy drama?

Lots of goon love, I guess. Never seen it!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A few pages back I mentioned Undead or Alive, a slapstick western zombie comedy. Well I finally watched beyond the first 15 minutes and I would highly recommend it to anyone who even thinks they might like it. It was written by one of the South Park writers and so the dialog and situations are funny without falling into horror movie cliches.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I figured I would do some people some favors somewhere and compile a little list of some of the TV shows that are on Instant Watch that generally attract a lot of positive attention / are, by many people's measures, definitely worth watching.

Drama (The Big Ones)
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
Friday Night Lights
Luther
Rescue Me
Twin Peaks
Sherlock

Network TV / "Trashy" Drama
Lost
Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Glee
Prison Break
Desperate Housewives
Heroes
Lie To Me

Sci-Fi
Star Trek
Star Trek: TNG
Doctor Who
Firefly
The X-Files
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis

Comedy
The Office UK
The Office US
Louie
Arrested Development
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Party Down
Monty Python's Flying Circus

Animated
Futurama
South Park
Archer
Family Guy
American Dad
Home Movies
King of the Hill

By no means a comprehensive list, I am pretty sure there are good shows that I've missed, and I am positive that there are well-liked shows that have been willfully omitted. I hope this helps!

Day Break is an amazing show, and deserves to be on this list.

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine finally went up today after a still-unexplained 3 month delay, and it's about drat time.

Halcyon Leviathan
Jan 30, 2010
I just finished two very good PBS documentary mini-series that I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Circus follows the cast of the Big Apple Circus and gives a very interesting and entertaining behind-the-scenes look into everyday circus life. There's even a juggalo cameo and a bomb threat in the first couple of episodes. Plus, you get to see circus people doing really cool acts. It gave me a level of appreciation for the circus arts that I didn't have before.

Carrier is a bit more serious, as it documents the crew USS Nimitz, an aircraft carrier, on their six month cruise through the Persian Gulf. Lot's of different topics get covered, from religion and politics, sex, race, and of course all the mundane realities of living on a big-rear end boat for six months. The Navy is weird, but captivating. Also, landing a jet on an aircraft carrier is awesome and must be scary as poo poo. :colbert:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Little Britain makes an appearance from time to time.

And That Mitchell and Webb look.

Jeff Goldblum IRL
Nov 29, 2006

The greatest trick Coyote ever pulled, was convincing the world that he exists.
I just watched a movie called The Wild Hunt and I was pleasantly surprised. I can't say too awful much about it without taking away from the viewing experience, so here is the IMDB synopsis:

"A medieval reenactment game turns into a Shakespearean tragedy when a non-player crashes the event to win back his girlfriend."

It's a lot more interesting than that makes it sound, but it starts pretty slowly. Bear with it, it's worth it.

edit: I should probably mention that it's not a comedy, but rather a suspenseful drama of sorts. The blurb kind've makes it seem sillier than it is.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Here's a challenge for you guys: What is the oldest film you can find on netflix? Thus far I've got Metropolis (1927) sitting on my on list, but I haven't watched it. I've also got some great classics like Night of The Living Dead, Last Man On Earth, and a few more along those lines. Also, The Final Countdown? It sucks even for a B-Movie.

Edit: I discovered the best war film I've ever seen as well: 9th Company. It's a Russian film detailing (and exaggerating) a Russian paratrooper unit's deployment in afghanistan, and how they get left behind by the rest of the army when Russia leaves the country. The movie takes a few creative liberties, such as the number of survivors in the company, but it's based on a true story, and the real unit did take 90% casualties, with something like 3-7 deaths.

11BulletCatcher has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Oct 2, 2011

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Well, I found Cabiria and Charlie Chaplic Collection: Shorts which were both released in 1914.

Metropolis is absolutely fantastic by the way. Just stunning what they could do in that day and age.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

11BulletCatcher posted:

Here's a challenge for you guys: What is the oldest film you can find on netflix? Thus far I've got Metropolis (1927) sitting on my on list, but I haven't watched it. I've also got some great classics like Night of The Living Dead, Last Man On Earth, and a few more along those lines. Also, The Final Countdown? It sucks even for a B-Movie.

These were the oldest movies sitting in my Watch Instantly queue at the time you posed this question:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919)

The Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Nosferatu (1929)

Un Chien Andalou (1929)

And, of course, Metropolis.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I completely forgot about Nosferatu. That movie freaked me out as a kid. As for The cabinet of Dr. Caligari, what is that about exactly? Furthermore, I wonder who was the guy at Netflix going: "Man, you know what our customers need? More movies from before the depression!"

That said, I'm glad he did it.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oft-mentioned Psych just updated to season 5 on Netflix for those of us who want to reacquaint before S6 picks up on the 12th.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Sighence posted:

Oft-mentioned Psych just updated to season 5 on Netflix for those of us who want to reacquaint before S6 picks up on the 12th.

I guess this means it's time to watch Dual Spires for the first time since finishing Twin Peaks.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sighence posted:

Awww yiss.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Tron 2 is up...Wasn't bad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

11BulletCatcher posted:

I completely forgot about Nosferatu. That movie freaked me out as a kid. As for The cabinet of Dr. Caligari, what is that about exactly? Furthermore, I wonder who was the guy at Netflix going: "Man, you know what our customers need? More movies from before the depression!"

That said, I'm glad he did it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_of_Dr._Caligari

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is actually fairly important in the history of film. It's also one of the earliest films that could be considered "horror".

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
According to the Roku Blog, The Blues Brothers became streamable this week.

I guess I'll finally splice some time together to watch it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

maltesh posted:

According to the Roku Blog, The Blues Brothers became streamable this week.

I guess I'll finally splice some time together to watch it.

Actually it's been there on and off.

Some movies have cycled on and off depending on whether they were on Starz or cable channels that have a deal with Netflix. Not sure how that's all going to work now. I watched "existenz" and it was off streaming the day after I watched it because of its stint on Starz.

Woody Allen's "Love and Death" just appeared on there again, one of his better early comedies and worth a watch if you like that sort of thing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just to be silly, the wife put on Assault Girls last night. From the cover art, it looks like a Sucker Punch rip-off, but actually isn't. It's a film set in the near future about four players in a super-interactive MMORPG. It sounds lame, and we thought we would've shut it off five minutes in, but it was actually pretty cool. The costume design alone is worth checking the film out, and for being a low-budget production, the CG effects aren't bad at all. Be warned, though--it is a very, very slowly-paced film. (mostly) English language (with English subtitles when appropriate)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Complete series of Malcolm in the Middle and The Wonder Years both went up. Season 7 of The Office is also up as well as Super Troopers.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Complete series of Malcolm in the Middle

there went my workweek

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

They can get streaming rights but not DVD rights? Weird.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

No loving way! This is exactly what I need after watching Breaking Bad.

By the way, I keep seeing Psych recommended, but I didn't like the premise or main character at all. I liked Monk, and this feels similar, but I wasn't entertained at all.

Does it pick up, or is this one of those shows that I should know by the first episode if I want to keep watching?

vvvvvvvv- Will do. Thank you for the input; that's exactly what I was wondering.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Oct 3, 2011

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

It picks up about halfway through the first season then really starts to shine in the second season. If I recall correctly, James Roday got more creative control over the show and everything improved because of it.

The only important character stuff that happens in the first season is in the second episode with the introduction of a major character. Once you watch that (and it's one of the better episodes of the first season, in my opinion), you can pretty much skip around the first few seasons at will without ruining everything. The first episode of the second season ("American Duos") is pretty popular with my friends, and I'd at least watch that and "Lights... Camera... Homicidio!" before writing the series off.

RudyBrah
Sep 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

No loving way! This is exactly what I need after watching Breaking Bad.

I can never see Walt White as anything other than Malcolm's dad.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
All I ever see is Tim Whatley, dentist to the stars.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've seen enough Malcolm In The Middle in my life, but I may have to mix some episodes of it in with Breaking Bad just to screw with my brain.

StarfishPrime
Jul 16, 2003

Somebody order an ass full of pipe wrench?
Another season of 30 Rock is up. Guess I'm set for the week.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

StarfishPrime posted:

Another season of 30 Rock is up. Guess I'm set for the week.

Fantastic. I've been going through the series from the beginning again. But why is 100 Parts 1&2 unavailable?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

A Nice Boy posted:

Tron 2 is up...Wasn't bad.

You mean Tron Legacy? or was there a sequel made sooner after the original?

My girlfriend has been watching Switched at Birth all day, and I think I can safely say that most ABC Family generic feel-good dramas are just god awful.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The 3rd season of Parks & Recreations is also up! Yippee!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
And someday, Community maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

By the way, I keep seeing Psych recommended, but I didn't like the premise or main character at all. I liked Monk, and this feels similar, but I wasn't entertained at all.

Does it pick up, or is this one of those shows that I should know by the first episode if I want to keep watching?

There isn't much character development so if you dislike the first episode, chances are you won't like the rest any better although the show does improve through the first season. So you might watch another episode or two and find out. Conversely, I love Psych but never cared for Monk.

• Locked thread