Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Geirskogul posted:

but I refuse to buy anything that's "as seen on TV" branded.

It's made by PPG. They know a thing or two about glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Yesterday I replaced my rear axles, bearings and retainer collars. It was an utter bitch.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MiniFoo posted:

Yesterday I replaced my rear axles, bearings and retainer collars. It was an utter bitch.

At least you don't have to remove the ENTIRE loving TRAILING ARM to get the new bearings in. Not to mention having to drop the subframe on the right side to get the outside trailing arm bolt out.

:argh: loving BMWs! If they weren't so goddamn fun on the road...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Found a neat new way to dump a bunch of ATF on the ground.

Glug glug glug. Next time leave the torque converter with the trans.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Finally got the 'situation' under control. Washed and Waxed.

Nice and clean!

I think this is either the hood, or the trunk, doesn't really matter.

This is my first black car, so I've learned that yes, they are a bitch and a half to keep clean, however it's totally worth it for when they are clean.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Man, you guys are making me look like a lazy bastard! All I did was plugs, oil, and the air filter on my Protege. Then I spent the rest of the day cleaning the nasty rear end interior.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Preliminary fit test of my new subs + amp:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Javid posted:

Preliminary fit test of my new subs + amp:

It doesn't fit the other way? Bass is omnidirectional.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Had the dealer swap the sway bar links on my Mustang. $200 later and the clunking sound over bumps that I grew so used to is gone. Basically feels like a different car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I put in new Hawk HPS brake pads. It surprises me people pay to have this done, though I can imagine some cars are a bigger pain in the rear end than mine.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Not today and not very impressive/difficult, but a couple of days ago:

JDM Impreza badge, and Hella Supertones put into my V7 swapped 04 Impreza Wagon

Tongsy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 3, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just ordered a rear sway bar for my Mini. Doing that plus adjustable control arms and new trailing arm bushings all at once and not looking forward to it. Last time I had it up on my friends lift the bolts looked rusted on their pretty good, so I'm probably gonna have to spray the poo poo out of them with PB Blaster or something

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Put a new radiator and hoses in the 2002 WRX over the weekend. I just had all that poo poo apart in Feb to do the timing belt change so of course what went smoothly back then resulted in 3 (non critical) bolts snapping off.

I'm still not 100% happy with the lower radiator hose routing due to the thicker aftermarket radiator and the upper hose is VERY close to making contact with fan, but it's drivable for now at least.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

I'm probably gonna have to spray the poo poo out of them with PB Blaster or something
Just make sure you don't use WD40; I find it tends to make the undercoat gummy for a little while which gets awful when you're working under the car. Someone recommended Seafoam Deep Creep to me.

Saturate it a little bit each day for the week leading up to the install, and that should help a lot.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Put a new radiator and hoses in the 2002 WRX over the weekend. I just had all that poo poo apart in Feb to do the timing belt change so of course what went smoothly back then resulted in 3 (non critical) bolts snapping off.

I'm still not 100% happy with the lower radiator hose routing due to the thicker aftermarket radiator and the upper hose is VERY close to making contact with fan, but it's drivable for now at least.

You still have that old WRX? How's it looking these days? All the ones around here, Northeast Ohio, are in pretty bad shape. Your's is a one owner so i'd imagine it's better than what i see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toucan Sam posted:

You still have that old WRX? How's it looking these days? All the ones around here, Northeast Ohio, are in pretty bad shape. Your's is a one owner so i'd imagine it's better than what i see.

A few door dings, front end is chewed up from stone chips (though the worst of them are patched), fasteners and suspension components show some rust, but really not much else in other spots.

I have a TINY bubble showing up in the passenger rear quarter panel near the bumper that I want to nip in the bud before winter.

Other than that, it passes the 10 ft test pretty well.

It has 114k miles on it now and I will have passed 10 years of ownership in November so some stuff is flat out just wearing out (like the radiator.) I need to replace the AC expansion valve to get the AC system working again and I'm not 100% sure the starter will make it through the winter because it's been sticking more the past few years on start ups around 20F or so.

But hey, due to a recent recall I'll be getting new lower control arms sometime after november so that's one bit of rust that will be all gone.

My '11 WRX gets the bulk of the driving now, but I want to make sure all the major stuff is working fine on the '02 so I can run around in the worst of winter in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tongsy posted:

Not today and not very impressive/difficult, but a couple of days ago:

JDM Impreza badge, and Hella Supertones put into my V7 swapped 04 Impreza Wagon

I honestly love that badge, I was intending on buying an 05 WRX and that was going to be the first mod.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I put in new Hawk HPS brake pads. It surprises me people pay to have this done, though I can imagine some cars are a bigger pain in the rear end than mine.

I have those pads in my GTI and they own so much. Worth every penny.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Hawk HPS pads on my '02 WRX. I found I liked the Carbotech Bobcats better.

I never felt the HPS gave me any more fade resistance than the Bobcats and the HPS are terrible cold.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 5, 2011

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

bull3964 posted:

A few door dings, front end is chewed up from stone chips (though the worst of them are patched), fasteners and suspension components show some rust, but really not much else in other spots.

I have a TINY bubble showing up in the passenger rear quarter panel near the bumper that I want to nip in the bud before winter.

Other than that, it passes the 10 ft test pretty well.

PA uses sand in the winter don't they? I'd imagine that helps a lot, compared to the salt they use around here. I remember when you bought the car, kind of nice to hear it's still around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toucan Sam posted:

PA uses sand in the winter don't they? I'd imagine that helps a lot, compared to the salt they use around here. I remember when you bought the car, kind of nice to hear it's still around.

Nope, we only use salt and (more recently) brine.

December 15th will mark the 10th anniversary of me driving it off the dealer lot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 5, 2011

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Wow, you must keep it clean to not have major rust. I've actually been looking for one but the examples around here are horrible. I can deal with a bit of surface rust but rust holes are a nogo, i have a couple project cars and i don't need another one. I'm also partial to a wagon but Subaru's are rare in my neck of the woods.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At the very least, it got sprayed down once a week with one of those coin op power washers including the wheel wells and as well as I could under the body during the winter. The only time I didn't was when it was too far below freezing, but at that point not much rust is going to happen anyways.

The subframe has a bit of rust in places, but the body is rust free (as far as I can see) aside from those bubbles I noticed this summer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

It's weird. Here in PA, some cars rust, and some don't and it seems random to me. My 96 Bronco has lived in PA its whole life and there is only a patch of rust above the right rear wheel; that's due to stones and mud being up in the fender (WTF?) for an unknown amount of time. I know the people I bought it from and while they take care of their vehicles, I doubt they washed it on a regular basis.

Today, I washed and waxed the Cobalt SS. It's been raining pretty constantly for like 2 weeks so the car was filthy, and it was covered in red bird poo poo because I had it parked under my tree yesterday. The birds like to eat the berries off of my tree and immediately poo poo on anything under the tree. It feels SO good to have that car clean again.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Caught the battery in the 89T ready to leak after quick-frost last night. Replaced, but not before rustoleum-black covering up battery holder, and a bit more.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
Took off the lower dash/doghouse cover, heater vent, doghouse, changed the plug wires, cap and rotor on a 2000 Chevy Astro. Put everything back together and go for a test drive only to find out one of the wires slipped off the distributor when replacing the doghouse.:bang: Remove everything again, plug wire back in, test start, success, re-install everything.

Track source of gas leak in 1984 Camaro to pinholes in the bottom of the tank. This of course requires removal of the tank, quite a task in these cars. :shepicide:

The car gods did not smile on me this week.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Over the weekend I changed the oil and air filter on my E36. I had hoped to do the cabin filter and belts but I ran out of time. Also I think my A/C belt tensioner is stuck (or I just didn't have a long enough tool for the leverage required).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm converting a rubber-bumper MG Midget to run chrome bumpers. There are a few body work changes that must be made. First, I have to fill in the large holes in the fenders that would normally be hidden behind the big rubber bumpers so I can fit older style turn signals.

This is my first time doing any body work. I just picked up my first welder a week ago and my only instruction has been from Youtube videos. I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

I'm not confident in my ability to lay a bead in 18ga sheet metal, so I just connected a bunch of tack welds. It all got smoothed with a flap wheel anyway.

And, some filler drying before I sand.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Dont lay a bead, you are doing it right. If you try and run a bead on that, your going to warp the hell out of everything and have a really miserable time getting it right again. Heat is enemy #1 when you are welding on a car body. Once you have a lot of tack weld on there you can connect the dots if you like, but really be careful not to put to much heat into whatever part you are working on.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 7, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Put the sway bar, all four control arms and the sway links in my Mini this morning with the help of a friend. None of the bolts didn't want to come off, although we did have to run an air line from the other side of the shop cause the main compressor was broken and the backup wasn't giving much air to where we were. We did have one scare at the end though. Had everything tightened up and putting the last bolt in on the sway bar bushing mount and of course the bolt loving stripped. Thankfully it was only the bolt and not the threads on the frame member where the bar mounts, and another bolt went right in :sweatdrop:

I was a little apprehensive about how it would handle with a much bigger bar (went from 17mm to 25mm hollow) and the beefier arms and endlinks, but quickly found out it's a loving blast and headed for some windy roads. drat it is so fun :hehe:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Changed the ugly black oil in the C900 with fresh dino fluid. It's happier, but I don't like how ugly the oil plug is; next time it gets a new one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oil change followed by a long overdue wash and wax. Discovered during the oil change that every single bolt holding on the under tray had rusted into one with its nut (all 8 of them), so it's permanently attached now. Had to dremel a trap door in it to get the filter out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Friday: Changed the oil in my wife's 6 after driving it 100 odd miles with 2/3rds of a can of Seafoam in the pan. I don't think I've ever seen oil that dirty come out of a car before.

Today: Replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing on my brother's '03 Focus, which was suffering from a common issue with the Zetec-powered models where oil drips on the thermostat housing gasket, causes it to swell and the swelling cracks the plastic housing. He's been refilling his overflow tank with distilled water every couple of days since June...when we opened the radiator drain he was pretty much running straight water in his cooling system.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Replaced the water pump, timing belt, radiator, thermostat housing, and installed louder horns on my E30. I swear it feels faster with a not-so-stretched timing belt :)

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Replaced the passenger side axle in my 2001.5 Passat Wagon from failed outer CV joint. Let it click too long, catastrophic boot failure and ballbearings all over my driveway ensued. Got a set from Raxles, driver's side is gonna wait until next weekend since the car is driveable again, and hopefully the wounds on my hand have healed from:

Changing a flat on my wife's Forrester. Pulled in the driveway after a run to Autozone for a 6mm hex bit to get the inner CV joint heat shield off the VW and heard hissing. Got it out on level ground in the street (driveway is a 20 degree incline, had to do the axle out there too), got the lugs off and grabbed the tire to pull it off and ended up with 30+ punctures in 6 fingers. It was wore down so bad that not only were the belts exposed, but they had splintered and left thousands of tiny needles sticking out of the inside wall.

I was surprised, changing the axle on the Passat was easier than doing the rear pads/rotors.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 10, 2011

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Since I work for a bank and was off work today, I decided to freshen up my fiances 2003 RSX.

I washed it with soap and water. I cleaned the wheels. I cleaned the tires. I claybarred it. I washed it again to get the clay lubricant off of it. I waxed it. I washed the windows. I rain-xed the windows. I even used qtips to clean the tiny body joints, such as around the headlamps and other plastic trim pieces.

This was the first time the car has been washed by hand in almost 2 years. It took 5 and a half hours, and I am really tired right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I got an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque for Android.

I played the Chinese knockoff lottery and lost, the dongle is a piece of poo poo that sends garbage data about 1/4 of the time, works 1/4 the time, lag like crazy for 1/4 of the time, and flat out disappears for the remaining 1/4 of the time. Also found out the dongle comes with an automatic battery killer function, aka make the interior of the car smell like burnt electronics function, that kicks in if you leave it plugged in overnight.

Torque is a very impressive piece of software.

I shipped the dongle back, going to go ahead and get the dongle recommended by the author of Torque instead. I was just hoping to avoid spending $100 on it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ouch, we all lose the Chinese knockoff lottery every now and again. I also never buy something that I can also find on Dealextreme without either getting two spares (just in case), or understanding that it may not work. Bad luck, man.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

some texas redneck posted:

I got an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque for Android.

I played the Chinese knockoff lottery and lost, the dongle is a piece of poo poo that sends garbage data about 1/4 of the time, works 1/4 the time, lag like crazy for 1/4 of the time, and flat out disappears for the remaining 1/4 of the time. Also found out the dongle comes with an automatic battery killer function, aka make the interior of the car smell like burnt electronics function, that kicks in if you leave it plugged in overnight.

Torque is a very impressive piece of software.

I shipped the dongle back, going to go ahead and get the dongle recommended by the author of Torque instead. I was just hoping to avoid spending $100 on it.

Can you leave the bluetooth dongle plugged in all the time? This software looks great but if I have to climb into the footwell every time I'd just stick with my OBD reader.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Crustashio posted:

Can you leave the bluetooth dongle plugged in all the time? This software looks great but if I have to climb into the footwell every time I'd just stick with my OBD reader.

I'm not quite sure but I think it can still draw power from the port. My scangauge stays on for a few seconds after turning the car off, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any capacitors in it or whatever.