Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

So on Fitocracy I see some of you guys logging 4+ hour workouts. I've only done that when training really hard for a competition and I usually keep my energy up with stuff like Clif Shot Blocs and gatorade and eating a lot of carbs for dinner the night before. What are you guys doing to keep yourselves alive during workouts that last that long?

I'm interested in this too. Can I add on a bit and ask what is everyones pre grappling meal? I have a bit of a weak stomach so no more jack3d before judo. I try and make it a high carb day too.
We start at about 7 and I usually can't eat after 5:45 or I'll get nauseated. Generally I'll have one of three things:

1) Toast and protein shake (~40g of whey).
2) Lentil, kidney bean, potatoe and tomatoe stew.
3) Bacon and eggs, maybe with a few cups of milk.

Anything horribly wrong with eating any of those before 90 mins Judo? Anyone refined the pre workout meal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Anything horribly wrong with eating any of those before 90 mins Judo? Anyone refined the pre workout meal?

Personally I avoid eating anything solid for at least 2-3 hours before a Judo workout. I don't like being thrown on anything approaching a full stoach. I'm more lenient for BJJ.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Personally I avoid eating anything solid for at least 2-3 hours before a Judo workout. I don't like being thrown on anything approaching a full stoach. I'm more lenient for BJJ.

Wow, nothing 2-3 hrs before judo? I guess I'm doing alright then to be eating ~an hour before.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Makrond posted:

In the meantime my school got a brand new set of nylon wasters so serious thrusting and full-speed sparring (once we get facemasks and gloves and other necessary protective equipment) is on the agenda :woop:

gently caress yeah! Nylons are awesome. Which ones did you guys get?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nierbo posted:

I'm interested in this too. Can I add on a bit and ask what is everyones pre grappling meal? I have a bit of a weak stomach so no more jack3d before judo. I try and make it a high carb day too.
We start at about 7 and I usually can't eat after 5:45 or I'll get nauseated. Generally I'll have one of three things:

A toast, shake and vegetable stew are rather easy to digest but I'd still eat that stuff (like beans and potatoes) two hours before working out. A bacon, eggs and milk meal is definitely harder on your tummy and are not digested when you start training, actually your digestive system is still trying (working) to break that stuff into their useful components - that's not very good during heavy exercise.

Eat stuff like shakes, fruit and maybe some bread and milk 1-2 hours before working out, heavier delicacies like pasta with that tasty sauce, rice with chicken, turkey sandwiches etc. 3 hours before exercise, really heavy stuff like creamy cheeses, bacon, steaks, and them ribs with grandpa's speshul BBQ sauce 4 hours before.

I'm certainly at my best if I eat a solid meal 3-4 hours before hitting the gym. If I'm in a hurry and have messed my eating schedule I'll eat a couple of slices of full wheat bread 90 minutes before exercise and maybe a banana 30 minutes before.

You'll feel lighter and more energetic, your digestive system has absorbed the food so it's not weight in your stomach and most of all the carbs and proteins have entered your bloodstream and can be transformed into all that stuff that keeps you going.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CaptainScraps posted:

Bad training days just hurt your soul. I had a knee collide with my jaw during a takedown drill, worked poo poo my reach is too short to use, ripped a toe open on a door jam and then just got my rear end handed to me all night.

I feel your pain brother.

haha, yeah there are nights where only bad things happen to you. Martial arts like to add insult to injury "you're being horrible tonight? Well GET HURT TOO YOU BITCH"

Nierbo posted:

Stop copying me.

ninja e: seriously though, I've gone to a few judo classes without eating for a few hrs before hand and it was just embarrassing. Couldn't even really get through the warmup, let alone the class. But on the bright side, you did over 3 hrs of judo on an empty stomach, so when you compete you can easily do 10 minutes of Judo with the right pre-fight diet.

I don't know about that. I have a pretty good energy level and very good recuperation. but when we do small in-dojo tournaments my cardio likes to fail me, not sure if it's the nerves or just the additional energy I put into the fights. I'm working on that for the approaching comp.

Thoguh posted:

So on Fitocracy I see some of you guys logging 4+ hour workouts. I've only done that when training really hard for a competition and I usually keep my energy up with stuff like Clif Shot Blocs and gatorade and eating a lot of carbs for dinner the night before. What are you guys doing to keep yourselves alive during workouts that last that long?

For me, 3h30 is two classes back to back, the first one really isn't that hard and mostly technical. Anyway, I have a lot of energy and can usually deal with 1 BJJ class and 2 judo classes in a day without too much problem. I'm not at my best physically when I do something like that, but I like it.

Anyway, I usually try to eat 2 eggs with some toasts before judo. Like 1h30 before the class if possible, but sometime I'll eat 45 minutes before judo when I come back from work late. It's by far the one thing that gives me the most energy while not making my stomach feel like poo poo.

During training I either drink water or a mix of juice and water if I feel like I need it. I also like to get some caffeine in my body.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I used to train 2.5 hour sets (one easier technique oriented class, the next with more sparring and higher tempo) pretty regularly, and have done a 4 hour set a few times. Need to eat well for sure and these days I need a gatorade between the sets or I'm too out of it to understand what I'm even doing.

When I have the time I like to do a 1 hour set early in the day, eat well a couple of times during the day, and then do two 1+ hour classes on row in the late evening! Unfortunately stuff like "work" and other otherwise insignificant (apart from empowering "paying rent" etc) interfere with my preferred ways to spend time.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ligur posted:

When I have the time I like to do a 1 hour set early in the day, eat well a couple of times during the day, and then do two 1+ hour classes on row in the late evening! Unfortunately stuff like "work" and other otherwise insignificant (apart from empowering "paying rent" etc) interfere with my preferred ways to spend time.

You sure are right about that. Currently at school supervising the informatic lab and then I need to go and teach some kids about the stuff their sick teacher asked me to teach them. Right now, there's a BJJ class going on at my dojo :(. I thought of doing both at the same time, but the principal doesn't seem to think that choking the students is acceptable :(. THE WORLD DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ME!!! :'(

Nierbo posted:

How do you manage to not want to puke all over the place training 1h30 after eating bacon? And Beans :o drat, I already have a problem with gas during judo, it would get really embarassing if I ate some lentil and kidney beans before class hahaha.

By the way, anything you guys do to avoid gas? About 1 class per month, I'll feel like my stomach is so full of air and I'll either fart in someones face while triangling them (never happened yet!) or just hold it in until someone tries to pin me and accidently put all his weight on my belly. I usually manage to fart ninja style and no one notice, but I've had a couple of farts while the teacher was demonstrating something on me, I wouldn't mind having a good solution to avoid those!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 30, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think a lot of this diet stuff is personal. I have eaten almost everything before bjj and can count on 1 hand the number of times my stomach has hurt, and I've never thrown up training.

I do have a lot of trouble staying fresh for 3 hour practices, on the days I manage to bring a snack I perform much better. Coconut water, for whatever reason, is super helpful. The problem is that I go straight from work to bjj so I tend to forget to pack my oatbar or bring the Coconut water, or whatever.

EDIT: you will actually learn when you can and cannot fart while training, so don't get too worried about that. It is kind of a skill. We have a big purple belt that can do it on command, its a real weapon.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Xguard posted:

I think a lot of this diet stuff is personal.
This. It's probably something everyone has to figure out on their own. I make a point of not eating heavily one hour before training, but anything before that is OK.

KingColliwog posted:

By the way, anything you guys do to avoid gas? About 1 class per month, I'll feel like my stomach is so full of air and I'll either fart in someones face while triangling them (never happened yet!) or just hold it in until someone tries to pin me and accidently put all his weight on my belly. I usually manage to fart ninja style and no one notice, but I've had a couple of farts while the teacher was demonstrating something on me, I wouldn't mind having a good solution to avoid those!
Do you drink coffee?

I am a caffeine addict, and i've learned not to overdo it before grappling practice. The results are not fun for anyone.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Illegal Username posted:

Do you drink coffee?

I am a caffeine addict, and i've learned not to overdo it before grappling practice. The results are not fun for anyone.

I usually take my cafeine in pill form when I need some before judo because real coffee doesn't play nice with my stomach when I do intense physical activity. I'll try to notice if the farting happens more on days I had coffee previously during the day though...

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

KingColliwog posted:

cafeine in pill form
Welp, this here's your problem right here. Probably. Cut back on the caffeine so that you don't need to be peaking during training.

If you drink a lot of coffee while working/studying try what i did: Every time you want to take a cup, take a half a cup. Suddenly you've cut your caffeine intake in half!

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I think a lot of this diet stuff is personal. I have eaten almost everything before bjj and can count on 1 hand the number of times my stomach has hurt, and I've never thrown up training.

Also if I'm not mistaken, nausea and/or vomiting can be caused by electrolyte/water loss, not necessarily what you ate or when you ate beforehand. I've gotten nauseated several times when I was doing MMA, doing an intense 90 minute workout of hundreds of pushups, running, situps, footwork drills, and all kinds of crap, then seamlessly transitioning to 100 round kicks on the pads. Never thrown up, I usually just drank an 8-10 oz amalgamation of gatorade and water and sat down for 5 minutes and I was able to get back into it just fine.

Also, when I could, I would eat a hearty whole wheat PB&J (natural PB and low sugar J) and 16 oz of water 1 hour before training and I would usually be fine, keeping a gator juice on hand during the workout.

Obviously though eating a steak and potato 20 min before an intense workout and it's probably going to come back up.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My eating strategy is to eat as much food as possible all the goddamn time, but not in the hour immediately before training. It works pretty well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

This. It's probably something everyone has to figure out on their own. I make a point of not eating heavily one hour before training, but anything before that is OK.

Definitely this. Like I said I avoid eating for a few hours beforehand (for early morning workouts I just go empty stomach), but I've worked out with guys who will be munching on Doritos right before stepping on the mat and lots of people in between those extremes. You just have to find what works for you and do that. After 4 years of wrestling, 3 of BJJ, and 8 of Judo I've got my diet on workout/competition days down to a science.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Thoguh posted:

guys who will be munching on Doritos right before stepping on the mat

Do they have orange belts?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://youtu.be/5UrplgaBmPE?t=1m75s

it's my fight. I can probably point out every time I farted in round.

ads end at 1:15, let me reflect this: http://youtu.be/5UrplgaBmPE?t=1m17s

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 1, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Wait a second. Is your fighting league seriously sponsored by a medical marijuana grower?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Fontoyn posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UrplgaBmPE&feature=player_embedded

it's my fight. I can probably point out every time I farted in round.

Ads end at 1:15.

Were you farting because of diet or nerves?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

showbiz_liz posted:

So, is there any chance of my taking BJJ classes in NYC for around $100/month as opposed to $200? If not, is there some other martial art that would fit the bill? I'm both poor and lumpy.
Liz, I spoke to my friend Robert who runs a school in Brooklyn who is a great teacher and might be in your price range. How could I send you his contact information?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

How do you manage to not want to puke all over the place training 1h30 after eating bacon? And Beans :o drat, I already have a problem with gas during judo, it would get really embarassing if I ate some lentil and kidney beans before class hahaha.
I come pretty close to puking a few times but other times I feel fine and energetic, but it seems I'm eating too close to the workout, so like Ligur said, its more just sitting in my stomach instead of already been turned into energy ready to burn. Also, I never fart. like ever. My fiance always teases me about it. I fart about 4 times a year.

KingColliwog posted:

If you're having a gassy day or having lots of protein shakes for some reason pop an immodium an hour before you have to go to training. Stops all that farting nonsense from what I've heard, and they're fairly cheap.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
The NEW A/T Martial Arts Thread : Fart talk

Nierbo posted:

I come pretty close to puking a few times but other times I feel fine and energetic, but it seems I'm eating too close to the workout, so like Ligur said, its more just sitting in my stomach instead of already been turned into energy ready to burn. Also, I never fart. like ever. My fiance always teases me about it. I fart about 4 times a year.

If you're having a gassy day or having lots of protein shakes for some reason pop an immodium an hour before you have to go to training. Stops all that farting nonsense from what I've heard, and they're fairly cheap.

Well gently caress you and your great intestines of steel!

Hum I'll give imodium a shot, if it helps it'll be in my judo bag and be used once or twice a month I'm sure.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yuns posted:

Wait a second. Is your fighting league seriously sponsored by a medical marijuana grower?

We're probably located in the quintessential Montana college town, but I'm honestly as surprised as you are about that. (i'm sponsored by pita pit = free pitas if cool guys are working there)

tarepanda posted:

Ads end at 1:15.

Were you farting because of diet or nerves

The ads are obnoxious, but for some reason a lot of businesses want to donate minute amounts in order to hear their name read before/after the round. My win was later announced to have been sponsored by Pita Pit's delicious and nutritious pita choices.

And I was up all the previous night vomiting from a mixture of nerves and stomach flu. Waking up the next morning, I couldn't handle food or most liquids so my dad bought a couple liters of gatorade and essentially had me on a drip IV of the stuff until a couple hours before the fight.

At the pre-fight doctor checkup, I was really surprised that my condition was passable. He'd scrutinized full grown men for having too high/low blood pressure, but I guess he just assumed I was naturally that pale.

Pepto bismol did some awesome things for me before the fight, but left me feeling like I had a pound of undigested poo poo sitting at the bottom of my gut. Basically, every kick I threw put just enough pressure on my gut to squeeze out some of that gas.

By the end of the second round, the weight was almost all gone and I was totally ready to bang. edit: [timg]http://i.imgur.com/islG5.jpg][/timg]

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 1, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My eating strategy is to eat as much food as possible all the goddamn time, but not in the hour immediately before training. It works pretty well.

I like this strategy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

30-60 minutes before training sessions I always stop at CVS and get some Powerbar Energy Gel Blasts. I'm pretty sure they are just overprices caffienated gummy candies but they keep me from being too full or too hungry during class. I usually try to have a granola bar about 2 hours before class too.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I threw a hand technique class today and for some reason nobody has ever dug out focus mitts for that particular set, so I did. There were a couple of girls who don't hit particularly hard, but oh what joy it was to see their eyes light up when you struck back with the mitt to get that lound "bang!" sound for that last uppercut of the combination.

Added bonus: a coach/instructor holding mitts for you makes people work extra hard.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ligur if I ever go to whatever crazy Scandinavian country you're from, I want you to train me.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
That's unfortunate, because I'm not a very good instructor :haw:

(Yet. But I'm learning and do not fear failure: one day I will be, err average.)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
All right, I decided that if I had to do another krav self defense that I was going to kill myself.

I'm switching to the MMA gym down the street Monday.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CaptainScraps posted:

All right, I decided that if I had to do another krav self defense that I was going to kill myself.

I'm switching to the MMA gym down the street Monday.

You've been doing KM for how long? Why are you switching to MMA?

Hope you like your new gym :)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

KingColliwog posted:

You've been doing KM for how long? Why are you switching to MMA?

Hope you like your new gym :)

Been at it for a year and a half now. I generally train 10 hours a week.

A general krav class goes 15-20 minutes of warmup and stretching, 30 minutes of striking/defense technique and 10-15 minutes of a self-defense (like how to break a choke). I like krav's striking but the choke defenses are so incredibly boring to practice (and sometimes stupid-- no one is going to grab you by the throat with your hands and pull you backward) that after a year and a half, they make me want to off myself.

Plus a large amount of students appear to be made of pudding and in a school of about 100, only 4 people regularly spar. Every one of them, to a t, has at least 4 inches and 30 pounds on me.

The MMA students down the street are made of iron; plus, the muay thai instructor (who I really like working with) at my current gym trains there and is strongly encouraging me to switch over to have more people to spar with. I don't plan on fighting but I enjoy sparring.

Plus krav's ground work is...just awful and I need to get back into brazilian jiu-jitsu.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm thinking about taking up Siliat/Kali/Escrima for fun. I discovered it from youtube videos and it looks like really fun, even if the real world applications are less then say, BJJ since I'm not always going to be carrying a giant stick or knife around.

Do any of you have in the arts I listed, or in any kind of edged weapon martial arts?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm thinking about taking up Siliat/Kali/Escrima for fun. I discovered it from youtube videos and it looks like really fun, even if the real world applications are less then say, BJJ since I'm not always going to be carrying a giant stick or knife around.

Do any of you have in the arts I listed, or in any kind of edged weapon martial arts?

I did some of that jazz for a little over a year. It's a lot of fun! It really improves your motor skills and coordination, having to use both hands for drilling and such. It is very hard for most beginners to get comfortable using sticks, even those experienced in martial arts.

Also, from what my instructor told me, we only use sticks because it gives the aura of "safety" to westerners. It's actually meant to be a blade art, be it a machete or pocketknife; for a number of obvious reasons it was frowned upon teaching people aggressive knife fighting. So it became stick self-defense or some crap. Plus it prevents dying during training and that kind of thing.

Have you found any schools in your area?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Omglosser posted:

I did some of that jazz for a little over a year. It's a lot of fun! It really improves your motor skills and coordination, having to use both hands for drilling and such. It is very hard for most beginners to get comfortable using sticks, even those experienced in martial arts.

Also, from what my instructor told me, we only use sticks because it gives the aura of "safety" to westerners. It's actually meant to be a blade art, be it a machete or pocketknife; for a number of obvious reasons it was frowned upon teaching people aggressive knife fighting. So it became stick self-defense or some crap. Plus it prevents dying during training and that kind of thing.

Have you found any schools in your area?

That's good to know, I assumed sticks because they were easy to find in a pinch. I searched for about anhour last night and found these two schools.

http://www.sundasilat.com/Sundasilat/HOME.html
http://protectyourselfacademy.com/

What do you think of them?

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That's good to know, I assumed sticks because they were easy to find in a pinch. I searched for about anhour last night and found these two schools.

Well if you're looking for just FUN I'd say either one would be okay, especially the first one...I mean a spry little Filipino man submitting you with an eye poke with his toe looks like fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmiMGBnaDE

Honestly though it's hard to say much from looking at either website, a lot of the stuff they're doing seems familiar to me. In my personal opinion, a lot of the stuff taught in FMA wouldn't be very effective in real-world applications, especially knife-disarms, but it is fun to learn and do overall. Although the one thing that sucked, which seems like might be true here as well, is frequent long-winded technical explanations of techniques which means a lot of student standing around time. That part is NOT fun. Sometimes I wonder if the Filipino people who brought it over just wanted to mess with the white people.

I'd advise just contacting either school and just trying both out and see how they feel to you.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've been doing FMA for about 3 years now. Silat focuses more on unarmed than weapons, while FMA focuses more on weapons than unarmed (but can change depending on the school). The movements of Silat are alot more excessive than FMA, FMA being based on simple triangles vs Silat which are based on "animal" movements. They share alot of similarities, however, due to Chinese and Muslim influences being mixed into both arts.

Some FMAs focus on sticks while others on blades, but the sticks are very much part of FMA history - farmers and lowly tribesmen couldn't afford long blades. Plus, the Spanish banned bladed weapons when they colonized the island. But that's the practicality aspect of FMA - tribes needed a way to easily train an entire village from scratch in a short period of time so all the movements are technically interchangeable whether you're unarmed, have a long blade, short blade, stick, or a mixture.

The slipping and footwork I learned in FMA has helped me a lot when I spar in boxing. Also, as mentioned, the skill required to move both hands independently from one another really improves your hand-eye coordination. Whether or not I'm ever going to beat the poo poo out of someone with a stick or stab someone with a knife is questionable but the sparring is super fun (which really helps with my agility).

If you want to learn sticks/knife, I'd go with protect yourself academy. Also seems like they have more classes vs. sundasilat. Hope that helps.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Bangkero posted:

The slipping and footwork I learned in FMA has helped me a lot when I spar in boxing. Also, as mentioned, the skill required to move both hands independently from one another really improves your hand-eye coordination. Whether or not I'm ever going to beat the poo poo out of someone with a stick or stab someone with a knife is questionable but the sparring is super fun (which really helps with my agility).

I've been out of FMA for a while now and I forgot all about how effective the 2-step footwork is. Plus moving empty handed becomes a lot easier after using the stick. And the empty hand drills we did really made my close-range hand to hand reaction time crazy fast.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

The MMA students down the street are made of iron; plus, the muay thai instructor (who I really like working with) at my current gym trains there and is strongly encouraging me to switch over to have more people to spar with. I don't plan on fighting but I enjoy sparring.

Plus krav's ground work is...just awful and I need to get back into brazilian jiu-jitsu.

You'll probably enjoy it a lot more at the MMA place. It's always nice practicing at a place where people actually know how striking and grappling interact.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Anybody else run into McDojos running "MMA" classes for kids? We have an 11 year old that recently joined our club who spends all his time bragging about how did "MMA" before moving. But talking to him it was just a TKD McDojo that did a very, very small amount of grappling and billed it as kids MMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah, the first 'karate' place I went to was actually a tkd/hapkido mix despite their advertising and they offered MMA classes to me while I was asking about the 'karate' so I guess I fell into their target market but I told him I wasn't interested. When I asked one of the lower hapkido instructors who the coaches are for the MMA classes, and he said its just the one guy who teaches it (the guy who owns the place) and hes a TKD black belt and is 'accomplished' in Judo but strangely enough he didn't say what rank he was or where he trained his Judo. A black belt in Judo wouldn't have made him qualified to teach MMA in the conventional sense of the word anyway. No idea what striking he had. e: well besides the tkd I guess. I think everyone knows you can't charge much for judo instruction but if its called MMA its a cash cow.

Strangely, the kyokushin place I checked out also ended the session with hapkido; must keep the parents happy or something. Everyone's deathly afraid of having someone grab their wrist as thats how most confrontation starts....

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 4, 2011

• Locked thread