Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
This story is really the best.
This is the court. It probably is, to some degree. VVVV

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I like to think this is all true.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Chincredible I think.

Jawesome.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was even better than I had hoped, and I had some really high hopes for how their story would go.

Tom, you rule.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I love the horse's sunglasses flying off as its head hangs out of the car. Wow, the fact that we even have a horse wearing sunglasses in a rice rocket is pretty hilarious on its own, drat.

I also have been going back the whole story for the past couple days - my first time rereading it all. I'm noticing a lot of interesting details this time around, and it's really increased my appreciation for how well-planned so much of the plot is.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 28, 2011

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
How the other kids are bored of this riveting tale is lost on me.

Also, according to Tom's Tumblr, Parely and Smit are coming back in the next chapter. Yaaaaaaaay!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Paz has older sisters? I hope they are luckier.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Today's comic is :3: on so many levels.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

How the other kids are bored of this riveting tale is lost on me.

Seriously, those guys are rude as hell. I mean, everyone paid attention through that boring-rear end mandolin ghost story and the pointless rabbit girl thing. Why isn't anyone interested in a guaranteed top-grossing Hollywood blockbuster?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Seriously, those guys are rude as hell. I mean, everyone paid attention through that boring-rear end mandolin ghost story and the pointless rabbit girl thing. Why isn't anyone interested in a guaranteed top-grossing Hollywood blockbuster?

Look these kids broke out of their dorms to sit around and talk about their feelings. There is simply no time for life and death horse car races.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

There is simply no time for life and death horse car races.
There is always time for life and death horse car races.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're not interested because they already know all about it; that was Dr. Disaster's scenario last week.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Ysengrin: A paragon of maturity and emotional stability.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

This means that Annie has a thing for him right? Tom is so progressive about interspecies relationships.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hey, it's that guy (Ysenglamore).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Darn it, Annie, quit befriending crazy forest people.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The best way to deal with emotions is to bottle them up tight, said the forest creature wearing wooden power armor to the part-human part-fire-elemental

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What are you talking about guys, Ysengrin is happy as a clam. All going around catching fish with his psychic tree armor and trying to start wars between the Forest and Court and stuff.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

1stGear posted:

What are you talking about guys, Ysengrin is happy as a clam. All going around catching fish with his psychic tree armor and trying to start wars between the Forest and Court and stuff.

And occasionally dropping from the armour that has become his life support so that he can drag his emaciated body over to the lake to drink. But only when he thinks nobody is looking.

...Now I feel sorry for the old bastard :(

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
As a Swedish man I was unaware that it was possible to deal with emotions in any other way. That Jack character sounds like some kind of hippe. Hopefully Annie is wise enough to realise that the proper time to display emotions is in relation to a sporting event or when she is hideously drunk. In both cases anger is the prefered emotion.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

1stGear posted:

Hammer Backspace posted:

And occasionally dropping from the armour that has become his life support so that he can drag his emaciated body over to the lake to drink. But only when he thinks nobody is looking.

Exactly. I don't see the problem. :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Do you think Coyote gave Ysengrin his madness perhaps?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

VanSandman posted:

Do you think Coyote gave Ysengrin his madness perhaps?
Madness? I don't think so. I do think Coyote encouraged and fostered Ysengrin's inherent rage and isolated feeling, though.

vv: Yeah, I feel like while Coyote isn't intentionally doing anything, he isn't a very good influence.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 4, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, Coyote talks about how he's tried to give Ysengrin more of his power and that Ysengrin refuses it or whatever, didn't he? Seems to me that Ysengrin just is very stuck in his ways.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zorak posted:

I dunno, Coyote talks about how he's tried to give Ysengrin more of his power and that Ysengrin refuses it or whatever, didn't he? Seems to me that Ysengrin just is very stuck in his ways.

No that was Reynardine

Ysengrin is the middle brother who tries really hard to impress but nobody gives a poo poo about

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elysiume posted:

Madness? I don't think so. I do think Coyote encouraged and fostered Ysengrin's inherent rage and isolated feeling, though.

vv: Yeah, I feel like while Coyote isn't intentionally doing anything, he isn't a very good influence.

Zorak posted:

No, I think pretty much everything that goes on in the forest is Coyote's conscious planning, Ysengrin included. He's a trickster god, that's what trickster gods do; offering Ysengrin power (knowing he'd refuse it) is just another manipulative technique.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DontMockMySmock posted:

No, I think pretty much everything that goes on in the forest is Coyote's conscious planning, Ysengrin included. He's a trickster god, that's what trickster gods do; offering Ysengrin power (knowing he'd refuse it) is just another manipulative technique.

I think you're right about Coyote being very manipulative and controlling, but I don't think Ysengrin has refused any of Coyote's powers. Renard did refuse to take any of Coyote's gifts, besides body-stealing, but Ysengrin seems pretty devoted to Coyote and would probably take whatever he could get.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

:eng101: Actually, pretty much the opposite of what most trickster gods do. I mean, there are isolated incidents of them carrying plans to fruition - usually as part of a larger scheme masterminded by a wiser figure - but for the most part their role in folklore is to throw a bunch of bullshit at everybody around them and see what sticks. They're typically more improvisational than calculating in behaviour, because much of their purpose is to symbolise flux, chaos and boundary breaking in opposition to stable and predictable standards of culture. This is why a disproportionate number of stories about them are comedic in some way, either because their half-baked plans go awry and bring them a come-uppance for their lack of common sense, or because their unpredictable nature undermines status-holding figures and makes them look ridiculous.

In Ysengrin's case I suspect we're seeing a slow-burn version of the latter. I doubt Coyote has any kind of master plan or overt desire to manipulate him, but such a serious, stern dignified personality must be like catnip to a being that exists to question and poke fun at those attributes. I think Coyote is amused by him, and gives him just enough rope to keep hanging himself. If a stern half-wolf-half-tree toady happens to turn out to be useful to some later scheme, that's just a bonus.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Coyote is the kind of guy who will throw a hundred balls in the air in a crowded room just so he can see who catches them.

Some of the balls are grenades.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Kismet posted:

They're typically more improvisational than calculating in behaviour

I didn't really mean that he has grand schemes or anything; "planning" was a poor choice of words. I just meant that he knows the consequences of everything he does, and if he does things like that to Ysengrin, it's to manipulate him in some way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm 90% sure that Jack has the blinker stone in his pocket at the moment.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Benagain posted:

Coyote is the kind of guy who will throw a hundred balls in the air in a crowded room just so he can see who catches them.

Some of the balls are grenades.

This is the best and most hilarious way I've seen Coyote described yet. And this is why Coyote is the best character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fangz posted:

I'm 90% sure that Jack has the blinker stone in his pocket at the moment.

Why would you spoiler that?
Why would it matter? Annie could retrieve that poo poo fast, and Jack knows it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Why would you spoiler that?
Why would it matter? Annie could retrieve that poo poo fast, and Jack knows it.

I was thinking people might want to figure that out for themselves.

Anyway. Annie can't retrieve the stone if she's asleep. Look how not tired Jack is compared to everyone else - he's spent the day sleeping before hand, because he knows the time window between Annie going to sleep now, and presumeably waking up much later, is the only chance he's got to do whatever he needs to do with the stone.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2011

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

Not if she's asleep. Look how not tired Jack is compared to everyone else - he's spent the day sleeping before hand, because he knows the time window between Annie going to sleep now, and presumeably waking up much later, is the only chance he's got to do whatever he needs to do with the stone.

Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any indication that Jack is looking to do sneaky things with the blinker stone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Did I miss something? I don't recall there being any indication that Jack is looking to do sneaky things with the blinker stone.

Er, there's nothing overt, it's just my speculation since the start of this chapter, and I think a lot what happened in this chapter hints at it. (In particular, if you look through and focus on Jack's behaviour and stuff he says, it seems a lot like this is what it's leading up to.) I look forward to being totally embarrassed if I'm completely wrong though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elysiume posted:

How can you quote that and not quote the post below it that says Smitty and Parley are in the next chapter!? Now I can't wait for what's going to happen. :dance:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
If anything Annie will use the stone to spy on what he's up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No Jack dont hide that stone in your butt.