Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On Sprint? So it turns out the E4GT has its own issues. The big one is "Loss of Signal", whereby the radio randomly loses connectivity and can only be fixed with a reboot. Which is super convenient when it happens while the phone is in your pocket and you're expecting calls and poo poo.

In general, folks complain about a variety of radio issues. Aside from "Loss of Signal", they complain that its reception isn't the greatest. Plus it lacks ESMR band support and EVDO rev B.
I have the ET and so far have only experienced the signal loss issue on the pre-rooted kernel. The people on XDA will accost you for suggesting that's the cause though. But really, what do you expect from a kernel made by someone who's never done it before that was partially hacked together with pieces of the international SGS2 kernel?

To be fair, I guess it does happen on stock phones but it's a very rare occurrence and hasn't happened to my wife and I since I went back to the stock kernel.

Also it does support ESMR according to the FCC filings and EVDO Rev B is unconfirmed but looking like it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

datajosh posted:

But really, what do you expect from a kernel made by someone who's never done it before that was partially hacked together with pieces of the international SGS2 kernel?
Honestly? I expected it not to boot and brick a bunch of phones. They got incredibly lucky that it didn't do that. Using a kludge kernel to dump /system so they could dump a stock kernel from another phone is fine. But it was incredibly irresponsible of them to release the utterly broken kludge kernel.

That said, it's not the sole cause of the loss of signal problem. A source-compiled kernel could easily exacerbate the problem, if, for example, it's a synchronization bug that's more frequently triggered by code generated by the Code Sourcery compiler instead of whatever Samsung uses in house. Not that I'm suggesting it is a synchronization bug, but Samsung radio-related crashes aren't without precedence. The Epic's RIL has a synchronization bug that crashes the GPS. In which case xda isn't really to be blamed here, it's Samsung's mistake. Which Sprint actually acknowledges, so far.

datajosh posted:

Also it does support ESMR according to the FCC filings and EVDO Rev B is unconfirmed but looking like it doesn't.
Oh cool. My previous Google foo failed me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly? I expected it not to boot and brick a bunch of phones. They got incredibly lucky that it didn't do that. Using a kludge kernel to dump /system so they could dump a stock kernel from another phone is fine. But it was incredibly irresponsible of them to release the utterly broken kludge kernel.

That said, it's not the sole cause of the loss of signal problem. A source-compiled kernel could easily exacerbate the problem, if, for example, it's a synchronization bug that's more frequently triggered by code generated by the Code Sourcery compiler instead of whatever Samsung uses in house. Not that I'm suggesting it is a synchronization bug, but Samsung radio-related crashes aren't without precedence. The Epic's RIL has a synchronization bug that crashes the GPS. In which case xda isn't really to be blamed here, it's Samsung's mistake. Which Sprint actually acknowledges, so far.
Oh Samsung, will you ever make a decent CDMA Android phone? I know it's not solely kernel related but it definitely makes it worse. I've actually been hoping it would happen for me again so I could send my logs to Sprint but ever since I went stock it's been fine.

I was in the IRC channel while root was being worked on and I'm surprised he got so far with it. There were bricked phones involved and people kept telling him not to do what he was doing but he kept going and managed to find a way to make a kernel that was just unbroken enough to work. I'm looking forward to seeing what real devs can do with the phone because it's pretty powerful and I like it a lot so far. (AMOLED without PenTile is so nice too!)

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

yellowjournalism posted:

I don't know a drat thing about Samsung besides the updated thread title which said "goon-recommended" to me, so I guess I'll just see how this Evo 3D pans out.

This is hilarious. If anything, most Samsungs on Sprint are the opposite of goon recommended*.

* I loved my m610. Now that was a classy phone.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Jensen posted:

Does it lock up when it gets hot? Or do you just not like hot things?

When it heats up too much, often just in my pocket, it goes into a reboot cycle until I pull out the battery. Fingers crossed on this replacement.

tomguycot posted:

I'm pretty sure the thread title is just a joke

Unfortunately when I hopped back into this thread after a year or two hiatus, the title was something about the Evo 3D, which you guys did recommend. Yeah sorry I just don't always have time to catch up on everything.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is CM7 fully functional on Evo 3D yet (bluetooth, 4G etc)? Hard to find info on their forums.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Tried to update the firmware on my EVO 3D, it's giving me 'Error Code: 1233'. Sprint and HTC support websites weren't any help. Anyone know what this means? I tried it on 3G and WiFi, just to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

blargle posted:

Is CM7 fully functional on Evo 3D yet (bluetooth, 4G etc)? Hard to find info on their forums.

No. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

* I loved my m610. Now that was a classy phone.

If I had to use a dumbphone again for any reason, my m610 would be it for sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it true that Sprint will be dropping 23 month upgrades in favor for 21 month instead?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it true that Sprint will be dropping 23 month upgrades in favor for 21 month instead?
20 is what I've been told.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Is there a way to get rid of some of the bloatware from my LG Opitmus S without rooting the phone? I heard that these phones come with a lot of crap (Sprint ID etc) that make it run slower as well as tax the battery.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Will this be retroactive to existing people currently waiting for their upgrade?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RagingHematoma posted:

Is there a way to get rid of some of the bloatware from my LG Opitmus S without rooting the phone? I heard that these phones come with a lot of crap (Sprint ID etc) that make it run slower as well as tax the battery.
That phone is relatively bloat free compared to others, but you definitely have to root to get rid of stock stuff. You don't have to install a full ROM or anything, even with temp root you can install Titanium Backup and uninstall system apps one at a time (requires reboot for each).

However the CM7 port for it works great on a few phones I've installed it on for some people, so I'm recommending that.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

RagingHematoma posted:

Will this be retroactive to existing people currently waiting for their upgrade?
The 1 year $75 upgrade has already been discontinued. Upgrades made prior to October xx, 2011 will be eligible in 22 months. After Oct xx,2011 will be eligible in 20 months.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I upgraded my account to a EPRP family plan and added my parents sometime over the summer when the $125 smart phone port credit was going on. I recently checked to see why I hadn't received the credits on my account and the online form said that I was ineligible so the credits were denied. This goes against everything I was told when I was buying their phones and setting up the new account. Who should I talk to to remedy this? Just Rebates: 800-477-4127?

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Does anyone have any suggestions for where (other than Sprint, if possible) to buy a new battery for my Epic 4G?
My phone overheated one day and the battery's hosed up. It will go from 100 to 50 in a matter of 2 hours or so, then from 50 to ~35 to 0 (and shutoff) in a matter of minutes. I bought what was claimed to be an OEM Samsung battery off of Amazon, but my phone doesn't recognize it, and will not charge it, though I can charge it in a wall charger.
Really, I want to ditch my Epic but I'm trying to hold off a couple months until the iPhone comes out and everyone ditches their HTC 3D's.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jfff posted:

I upgraded my account to a EPRP family plan and added my parents sometime over the summer when the $125 smart phone port credit was going on. I recently checked to see why I hadn't received the credits on my account and the online form said that I was ineligible so the credits were denied. This goes against everything I was told when I was buying their phones and setting up the new account. Who should I talk to to remedy this? Just Rebates: 800-477-4127?

The $125 credit is not a rebate, they can't help you. Rebates is also pretty terrible department anyway.

Call retentions from the OP. They should be your best bet.

Cathis posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for where (other than Sprint, if possible) to buy a new battery for my Epic 4G?
My phone overheated one day and the battery's hosed up. It will go from 100 to 50 in a matter of 2 hours or so, then from 50 to ~35 to 0 (and shutoff) in a matter of minutes. I bought what was claimed to be an OEM Samsung battery off of Amazon, but my phone doesn't recognize it, and will not charge it, though I can charge it in a wall charger.
Really, I want to ditch my Epic but I'm trying to hold off a couple months until the iPhone comes out and everyone ditches their HTC 3D's.

There has to be some Chinese company selling them cheap online. If you have insurance take it into a tech center and see if they will swap it. Finally, worst case batteries plus is ok, so they are pricier but the batteries are good. Same with seidio actually.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 1, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I didn't get my $125 credit because it said I was not eligible. Is it because I'm on EPRP? Should I call retentions?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
They recently denied mine too for some bullshit reason, I went through Amazon wireless when I ported in. But wait, I have the original e-mail I received that mentions nothing of the requirement they denied me for!

quote:

6/15/2011 11:01 AM

Thank you for choosing Sprint!

Your service credit request has been submitted.

Your confirmation number is XXXXXXXXX

Eligibility Requirements:

Requires port-in from an active wireless line and mobile number that come through the port process. Request for service credit must be made at sprint.com/switchtosprint within 72 hours from the port-in activation date or credit will be declined. New line must remain active with Sprint for 61 days to receive service credit. Upgrades, replacements, add-a-phone/line transactions and ports made between Sprint entities or providers associated with Sprint are excluded (i.e. Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, Common Cents Mobile and Assurance). You should continue paying your bill while waiting for your service credit to avoid service interruption and possible credit delay. Smartphones include Blackberry, Android, Windows Mobile, Palm, and Instinct family of devices. All other phones are considered feature phones. Smartphones require activation on an Everything Plan with data with Premium Data add-on charge.

Payment Expectations:

Service credits will appear in adjustment summary section at account level on invoice and will appear as a "VALUED CUSTOMER SERVICE CREDIT." If the service credit does not appear on the first or second invoice following the 61st day, visit https://www.sprint.com/switchtosprint.

I think they may have changed the rules partway in so basically I'm going to call them and say sorry those weren't the requirements when I ported in. This is the number they gave me to call: 866-877-7137 option 2.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 1, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

I didn't get my $125 credit because it said I was not eligible. Is it because I'm on EPRP? Should I call retentions?

Eprp was eligible, yes you should cell retentions.

OldPueblo posted:

They recently denied mine too for some bullshit reason, I went through Amazon wireless when I ported in. But wait, I have the original e-mail I received that mentions nothing of the requirement they denied me for!

I think they may have changed the rules partway in so basically I'm going to call them and say sorry those weren't the requirements when I ported in. This is the number they gave me to call: 866-877-7137 option 2.

And they clarified halfway through the promotion that only accounts setup through a sprint store were eligible. You probably have a case and all that, but from my vantage point the credit was never officially valid via big box. That bring said, you can probably get the credit since you have that email. My main point is it really isn't a bullshit reason, sprint pays Amazon a larger commission, hence why the phones are often cheaper through them. Here's hoping sprint gives you the credit, but if not at least you already got the phone cheap.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 1, 2011

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Stop making me feel unreasonable!

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
A have a friend who works in marketing for Best Buy's mobile department. He claims that the big Sprint announcement this month is that the iPhone 5 is actually coming to the carriers this fall, Sprint included. He told me this in response to my assertion that Sprint was just about to announce the 4 coming to Sprint this fall, with the 5 to follow sometime this spring. Could be complete bullshit, but I thought it was worth sharing.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I was recently able to receive a TOL on a SERO account, I'm assuming because I already had a SERO line so the call center people didn't have to do the taboo thing of creating a new SERO account.

Anyway, I just discovered that it's totally possible to swap in a Touch Pro2 without any issues on sprint.com. No requirement to upgrade to SERO Premium and be hit with the $10 fee. Cool deal!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

td4guy posted:

I was recently able to receive a TOL on a SERO account, I'm assuming because I already had a SERO line so the call center people didn't have to do the taboo thing of creating a new SERO account.

Anyway, I just discovered that it's totally possible to swap in a Touch Pro2 without any issues on sprint.com. No requirement to upgrade to SERO Premium and be hit with the $10 fee. Cool deal!

I'm running XDAndroid on my tp2, it's pretty slick actually. I have it on my microsd and run it when I grow sick of wm6.5

The tether doesn't work for me so I still have to load into wm for that, but it gives me access to some cool android market apps and hopefully tides me over till a new phone worthy of the sero premium upgrade comes along (along with 4G tax, bumping my monthly rate by $20+).

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Blakkout posted:

A have a friend who works in marketing for Best Buy's mobile department. He claims that the big Sprint announcement this month is that the iPhone 5 is actually coming to the carriers this fall, Sprint included. He told me this in response to my assertion that Sprint was just about to announce the 4 coming to Sprint this fall, with the 5 to follow sometime this spring. Could be complete bullshit, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Someone posted a Radioshack inventory listing which had the iPhone 5 for Sprint, Verizon and AT&T.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/01/radio-shack-inventory-screen-pegs-iphone-5-for-sprint/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So to get a sprint airwave I just call retentions, say I don't get calls at my house and phantom voice mails etc and ta da? According to their map my place is in "fair" coverage, which is bullshit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

So to get a sprint airwave I just call retentions, say I don't get calls at my house and phantom voice mails etc and ta da? According to their map my place is in "fair" coverage, which is bullshit.

Assuming you have an active Sprint plan, yes. And fyi I have one installed in my mom's house since sprint signal sucks there, and it works fairly well. Because her internet modem is in the basement for god knows what reason, it really only extends to half the house, but for a regular sized house i would imagine you could get full coverage if you get the Airrave somewhere in the middle of the house.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, Assuming the iPhone does show up on Sprint this week, I'm seriously considering a switch.

How's data coverage in the NY Metro area? Especially 3G coverage, since whatever new iPhone shows up presumably won't be 4G.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Assuming you have an active Sprint plan, yes. And fyi I have one installed in my mom's house since sprint signal sucks there, and it works fairly well. Because her internet modem is in the basement for god knows what reason, it really only extends to half the house, but for a regular sized house i would imagine you could get full coverage if you get the Airrave somewhere in the middle of the house.

Sprint's Airave support department can turn up the broadcast strength an Airave if you call and complain that it is not covering your whole house.

Be mindful that if you live in close proximity to other people, you could end up with their cell phones associating with your Airave.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm on EPRP, who would I call to ask about extending my due date for my bill?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Sprint's Airave support department can turn up the broadcast strength an Airave if you call and complain that it is not covering your whole house.

Be mindful that if you live in close proximity to other people, you could end up with their cell phones associating with your Airave.

Not if you configure the Airave ao that only whitelisted numbers can connect to it.

jmoney
May 15, 2003

what might have been
I'm on EPRP, how do I go about making this a family plan to add my wife if and when the iPhone comes out?

Also, I called a few months ago and got an airrave after I moved and was told that it would take up a second line on my account and that I only had 2 available. Is this going to be a problem?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/03/sprint-guarantees-to-buy-over-20-billion-in-iphones-from-apple-launching-the-iphone-5-exclusively/

Horseshit or no?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Sprint getting iPhone: Yes
Sprint getting iPhone 5 exclusivity: Bullshit

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

I vote horseshit.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Everyone vote for posterity. Your kids need to know someday where you stood on the "iPhone/Sprint exclusivity debacle of 2011."

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I really cannot imagine a WiMax iPhone being a real thing.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Duckman2008 posted:

The $125 credit is not a rebate, they can't help you. Rebates is also pretty terrible department anyway.

Call retentions from the OP. They should be your best bet.
Yeah, I called 866-877-7137 and they just gave me the run around. I called retentions immediately after I got off the phone with the 1st number and they put the two credits onto my account after checking into some things. Thanks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BGR making poo poo up? Well I never.

The real story is from the WSJ saying Sprint is essentially betting $20 million on the iPhone. That's a real vote of confidence in Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
Sprint stock dropped 10% today, and kept falling after the WSJ story was published. Hmmm.