Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This is probably the only fighting game I'm actually hoping that Arc System Works will craft their brand of bullshit additional console-exclusive/DLC character magic on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There was supposed to be at least one original character as I recall, and one that might be a surprise?

Also being that this is Arcsys, I wouldn't discount the possibility of there being an unlockable boss character or two.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Oh. Duh.

They're not going to leave out the new girl from Persona 4 Golden. Maya or whatever her name was.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pureauthor posted:

Oh. Duh.

They're not going to leave out the new girl from Persona 4 Golden. Maya or whatever her name was.

Mary/Marie.

I hope they don't add her and instead add Dojima. That would just be the best.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Mary/Marie.

I hope they don't add her and instead add Dojima. That would just be the best.

I preemptively dislike her so I hope not, too. Dojima would be loving awesome, but you know what would be more awesome? Nanako. Just think, beating up everyone as her. Her special could be throwing pudding at people.

Personally, I think that the reason that most of the characters revealed in Persona Ultimate are from P4 is because of the upcoming anime and most fans will be more familiar with them because of that that. The reason Aigis is included is because she seems to sell a ridiculous amount of merchandise in Japan compared to other characters. I've even seen people who are familiar with her and buy her figures despite not having even played the game. :psyduck:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
And give Dojima the Kohryu persona. Hell yeah giant golden dragon!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Catalina posted:

Personally, I think that the reason that most of the characters revealed in Persona Ultimate are from P4 is because of the upcoming anime and most fans will be more familiar with them because of that that. The reason Aigis is included is because she seems to sell a ridiculous amount of merchandise in Japan compared to other characters. I've even seen people who are familiar with her and buy her figures despite not having even played the game. :psyduck:

Robot girl learns what it means to lurve.

The idea sells itself.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tarezax posted:

And give Dojima the Kohryu persona. Hell yeah giant golden dragon!

Something about Dojima having the Healdragon for his persona in this game just makes the idea of including him even better.

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Woo. Just beat the SNES Shin Megami Tensei and got the neutral ending. I have to say, the hardest part of this game was dealing with the awful UI and insanely high encounter rate. I came into this game expecting old school hardcore JRPG difficulty and instead got a game where 90% of bosses could be stunlocked every turn with zio spells, and the magic immune ones could be killed in 5 rounds thanks to kaja/kunda buffing. I can see why they added dekaja/dekunda in the later games in the series, those spells are so broken.

Design flaws aside, overall it was a fun game. On to SMT2! Hopefully the second one fixes some of the balance issues from the first. And a slightly more navigable UI.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Spiffo posted:

EDIT: I will still pick Kanji and punch Yosuke in the face a lot
I love that there's even a preview screenshot of this. :allears:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Alkanos posted:

This image right here is what will get me to buy Persona X4: The Midnight Channel #Reload.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know... playing Persona 2... I can't remember the last time I had so much fun just running around the city, talking to everyone. How weird is that? That's usually fluff stuff, but it's all so entertaining!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Alkanos posted:

It would be phenomenal if he punched three times, and with each punch says "I....LOVE....WOMEN!"

I really hope this game makes it to the states.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Alkanos posted:

Hell, Yousuke is one of my favorite characters, and I'm getting a huge kick out of that image. It's so nice to see a company that knows how to speak to the fans. :allears:

Speedball posted:

You know... playing Persona 2... I can't remember the last time I had so much fun just running around the city, talking to everyone. How weird is that? That's usually fluff stuff, but it's all so entertaining!

I've always loved walking around town and talking to NPC's in RPG's. This is making me jealous. I had some unintended expenses and had to put off my order of Persona 2 IS. Hopefully I'll be able to buy it next month.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I really hope this game makes it to the states.

It's Arksys and Persona 4 so it definitely will.

Honestly my only holdup on the game so far is that they brought back BlazBlue style throws. Looks so good otherwise.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Verbal posted:

Design flaws aside, overall it was a fun game. On to SMT2! Hopefully the second one fixes some of the balance issues from the first. And a slightly more navigable UI.

Not really. I mean the UI is less hateful and there's actually a usable automap, but you can still trivialise 90% of encounters with status effects. Sleep bullets make everything that isn't immune to guns or sleep into a joke, and charm bullets even more so.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that bomb shelter dungeon was horrible.

"Go around 3 times and then you can get out." What the gently caress, really?

What do I do now anyway, I got out but don't know what to do next.

Also I won the sweepstakes after passing the hard to win but good prizes and got a piece of headgear that raised my magic defense to 146 from 46.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The gym should be open for the dance event to happen now.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

No idea what made me think of this but I love the little stuff that Atlus throws into the SMT games - for example, a couple of weeks ago in Strange Journey I was trying to tackle Sector Carina, when the angel Mastema (a huge douchebag if you know ancient Hebrew lore) gives me a weapon to beat the boss - the Shibboleth.

Zelenin: The Shibboleth?
Mastema: I like how you pronounce that, Zelenin.

I laughed out loud when I saw that little throwaway line - it's something that could just slip by if you don't know what a Shibboleth is already....for those that don't know (I don't know how common knowledge this is), check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shibboleth

Those little touches are all fantastic, and often leave me scrambling for Wikipedia when there's a new demon that I don't recognize or something that seems like a reference that I missed. I really wish there was a little two-line writeup on the demons in these games to glance over for stuff like this.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

So just thought the people in this thread would be interested in knowing that Ghideon Zhi (The person who translated SMT 1 and 2 for snes) posted a couple weeks ago that he has been putting in work on Majin Tensei recently. Hopefully we will see a release sometime soon!
http://agtp.romhack.net

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much though, as he also stated that he "I´d hoped to have Megami Tensei (as in, the original) out yesterday" on December 26th, 2009.

34 current projects! He always seems to be working on something else every week too, it's maddening.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

No idea what made me think of this but I love the little stuff that Atlus throws into the SMT games - for example, a couple of weeks ago in Strange Journey I was trying to tackle Sector Carina, when the angel Mastema (a huge douchebag if you know ancient Hebrew lore) gives me a weapon to beat the boss - the Shibboleth.

I laughed out loud when I saw that little throwaway line - it's something that could just slip by if you don't know what a Shibboleth is already....for those that don't know (I don't know how common knowledge this is), check this out:

Those little touches are all fantastic, and often leave me scrambling for Wikipedia when there's a new demon that I don't recognize or something that seems like a reference that I missed. I really wish there was a little two-line writeup on the demons in these games to glance over for stuff like this.

I didn't know that word, so that's fantastic. Thanks for posting!

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Ryoshi posted:

Whoa that's really neat. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I know there were some write ups about the demons in Persona 3 and 4, maybe they're hidden somewhere in SJ or they didn't just have the room for them. :(

vvv Oh I see! So there are some after all then, cool. vvv

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 30, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Katsudon posted:

Whoa that's really neat. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I know there were some write ups about the demons in Persona 3 and 4, maybe they're hidden somewhere in SJ or they didn't just have the room for them. :(

Demons have profiles in SJ too, but only for ones you've had in your party.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
There's now a thread for the Persona 4 anime in ADTRW for those interested.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
My wallet is in pain... Found Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Nocturne, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey at a gamestop today. So now I guess I don't need any new games for the next few months or so :shobon: Any suggestions as to which one to start on first?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JimmyBiskit posted:

My wallet is in pain... Found Digital Devil Saga 1/2, Nocturne, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey at a gamestop today. So now I guess I don't need any new games for the next few months or so :shobon: Any suggestions as to which one to start on first?

I'd do Nocturne first, DDS1, Devil Survivor, DDS2, then Strange Journey.

Nocturne first because the later games built upon it and some elements of it could feel a little dated.

DDS is split up to prevent burn-outs on the formula.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'd do Nocturne first, DDS1, Devil Survivor, DDS2, then Strange Journey.

Nocturne first because the later games built upon it and some elements of it could feel a little dated.

DDS is split up to prevent burn-outs on the formula.

gently caress that at least start DDS2 after DDS; I wanted to start DDS2 immediately after, but I was using gamefly so I couldn't.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Cityinthesea posted:

gently caress that at least start DDS2 after DDS; I wanted to start DDS2 immediately after, but I was using gamefly so I couldn't.

I did that and regretted it immediately. I'd say start w/ Nocturne, DDS1, one or both of the others, then DDS2. I haven't played the others so I can't really comment on them.
The reason I think the DDSs need to be separated is that 1 is just so much more enjoyable than 2 (in my opinion) and playing them back to back just makes it that much more obvious. I did the NG+ thing in DDS1 and played through it at least twice and did pretty much everything there was to do. With 2 I can't even remember if I actually finished it the first time and, despite my completionist tendencies, I'm ok w/ that.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Are their any videos for all of the Persona calls in Persona 3 and 4, when the protagonist calls the names?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

Are their any videos for all of the Persona calls in Persona 3 and 4, when the protagonist calls the names?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjf48W3Dg98 for Persona 4

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

JimmyBiskit posted:

I played DDS1 and Strange Journey before Nocturne and it seems like DDS1 and Strange Journey are just made to piss you off. The usual SMT dungeon gimmicks (invisible walls, teleporters, pits, switching hallway layouts, etc) were done so much better in Nocturne. Challenging but didn't make me want to murder myself like the other two games. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I played Nocturne first but it still felt more polished to me despite coming before the other games. Fusing in the field in Strange Journey loving owns though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I loving hated the final dungeon in DDS1 and the one 2 is like every single thing people hate about SMT dungeons rolled into one.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Alteisen posted:

I loving hated the final dungeon in DDS1 and the one 2 is like every single thing people hate about SMT dungeons rolled into one.
The final dungeon in DDS1 had some cool set pieces like the Sea of Milk and I wouldn't have minded it so much had it not been necessary to leave at the top floor to fight the optional bosses elsewhere on the map. I didn't even know about this until after the fact and I was retroactively pissed.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Has anyone here ever played those DemiKids games for GBA? If so, what did you think of them?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Has anyone here ever played those DemiKids games for GBA? If so, what did you think of them?

Atrocious grindy messes. Do not play. Also you literally only get half the story unless you play both, each kid does his own thing and so that means that giant chunks of poo poo happen offscreen and you just meet the other randomly and get "updated" on it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also you don't level in the traditional sense in demi-kids, you have to constantly fuse to level up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Check out this new commercial for Persona 4 The Golden

There's a second of hot anime scooter action there!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
P2: Innocent Sin is only $30 today (october 11th) on Amazon if you were looking at it but wanted a pricedrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
Just started up Persona 2: Innocent Sin, anything I should know?