Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah, I know about all that, I just didn't really want to mention any of it because it doesn't come into play for pretty much the entirety of the series. There's a lot of heavy foreshadowing, but still, for pretty much the entire series it doesn't really affect the storyline.

Don't give away too much though, man. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Hey look another chapter of this stupid rear end in a top hat's story

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Hey look another chapter of this stupid rear end in a top hat's story

I've quit reading/watching better stories than this, why can't I just give up on reading this? :mad:

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Because it's an amazing trainwreck that has the potential to be decent but fails. Often.

I've taken to just reading the last page of each new release to get a feel at how dumb the story's been.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey Aoi Hana: Chapter 5 Extra just got put up on dynasty-scans. Mostly interesting for the little behind the scenes peek at the end of it. The newest actual chapter is out (I think) but hasn't been scanlated yet, hopefully that will be out soon though, it's been a while between releases.

Speaking of Takako Shimura, my copy of Wandering Son should be here Thursday, it's going to be nice to have an actual physical copy of my favorite mangaka's work to read.

Still really enjoying Clannad, I finished up the first season and an alternate path episode* and am now two episodes into After Story, like I said a bit earlier I learned a giant huge spoiler about something in this season but I don't really know details of when (seriously not kidding around giant gently caress-off spoilers:siren:)Nagisa dies during childbirth, I feel almost like I'm watching this while covering my eyes but peeking through my fingers, that's not a bad thing, it means I'm involved in the characters, but ugh I think that's going to be rough.

*which was also really good, I was glad to see how that turned out.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a kitten posted:

Oh hey Aoi Hana: Chapter 5 Extra just got put up on dynasty-scans. Mostly interesting for the little behind the scenes peek at the end of it. The newest actual chapter is out (I think) but hasn't been scanlated yet, hopefully that will be out soon though, it's been a while between releases.

Extra 11 posted:

This juvenile delinquent probably won't be appearing in Sweet Blue Flowers, but I'd like to do a yuri gang manga someday.

Oh, the things I would do for that to happen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Oh, the things I would do for that to happen.

It's not at all related to that little sketch and it doesn't do me any good since I can't read a word of it, but if you happen to be able to read Japanese her newest project is a webmanga called One Hundred Views of Awajima
http://www.poco2.jp/comic/awazima/

There's some more information about it here at Wandering Son translator's blog.
http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=522

e: found a translated version, no nico-style animated comments on that version obviously. Not that internet comments tend to be worth reading ever, but I am curious as to what people are saying on the pages of the online version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 28, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

Speaking of Takako Shimura, my copy of Wandering Son should be here Thursday, it's going to be nice to have an actual physical copy of my favorite mangaka's work to read.

Still really enjoying Clannad, I finished up the first season and an alternate path episode* and am now two episodes into After Story, like I said a bit earlier I learned a giant huge spoiler about something in this season but I don't really know details of when (seriously not kidding around giant gently caress-off spoilers:siren:)Nagisa dies during childbirth, I feel almost like I'm watching this while covering my eyes but peeking through my fingers, that's not a bad thing, it means I'm involved in the characters, but ugh I think that's going to be rough.

*which was also really good, I was glad to see how that turned out.

CLANNAD SPOILERS regarding what was posted
It kinda sucks that you know about it, but I do have to say, even knowing about the event ahead of time, it can still hit you like a sack of bricks. I've only watched "that episode" twice (I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to stuff like that), and I've rewatched most of the other episodes many more times. The first time back when it first came out like 3 years ago, and the second time like last month when I did a rewatch of the whole series. I was just as ruined the second time as I was the first.

I do have to say though, that some of my favorite moments in the series comes after that, so you have a lot to look forward to regardless. I'm a little jealous actually and I hope that you continue to enjoy the series.

Realism
Sep 16, 2008

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/inochi/

This guy is a villain from the manga Inochi

Read it...he's one of the most despicable characters I've run across in a manga.

There are total of 20 chapters, only 8 are scanlated I think.

I've finished the whole series it's basically a revenge story...not much character development since the story's short. But the end payoff is pretty nice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Realism posted:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/inochi/

This guy is a villain from the manga Inochi

Read it...he's one of the most despicable characters I've run across in a manga.

There are total of 20 chapters, only 8 are scanlated I think.

I've finished the whole series it's basically a revenge story...not much character development since the story's short. But the end payoff is pretty nice.

That's a hell of a hook. :stare: This looks like it will be really good, hopefully the translations will come out fairly quickly.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

That's a hell of a hook. :stare: This looks like it will be really good, hopefully the translations will come out fairly quickly.

Maybe too good of a hook. Because of it, I went in thinking "okay, what's the worst that could happen, Shoujo style?" and ended up laughing more than anything else due to how accurate my predictions were, atleast through these first 4 chapters.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
The group scanlating Nodame Cantabile - Opera Hen finally finished: http://www.mangareader.net/1397/nodame-cantabile-opera-hen.html

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I just watched ef - A Tale of Memories and ef - A Tale of Melodies over the last few days. One of the most visually stunning series I've ever seen, and also one of the most draining. I was very entertained though, especially with the second season (though my favorite story arc was in the first).

I think it's a great story if anyone's looking for one that's not too long (each season is 12 episodes).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finished watching Clannad and figured I might as well try to do a wrap up of how I felt about it.
General Clannad and After Story spoilers, starting with some of the things I really loved:
Firstly, watching how the After Story OP animation and song changed throughout the series despite not actually changing at all. Even knowing what happens to Nagisa beforehand it wasn't until just a couple episodes before Ushio's birth that it dawned on me how heartbreaking the lyrics for it were, plus the fact that they kept it even after Nagisa was gone. Awesome, A+, would cry again.

Sanae finally breaking down over the loss of her daughter after five years of holding it in when Okizaki finally decides to be Ushio's father for real and try to be a better man than he had since his wife died.

The whole father/daughter trip to the sunflower field and and finding an unexpected grandmother was executed wonderfully.

Tomoya's proposal to Nagisa was absolutely perfect; simple and heartfelt and natural. And way before that when they finally decided to start dating that was also very nice.

I loved the ending, it was hinted at (and more) as a possibility throughout the series that magic and miracles do exist, so it was great to have that pay off in the end the way that it did. Right up until the episode ended I was worried it was going to be a horrible, cruel fake out and I can't even tell you how glad it made me that it wasn't.

That actually ties into some of what I didn't like though. I feel like the way each arc was presented was too disconnected from each other. It was like, solve one problem, then the next, then the next, rather than feeling like following someone’s actual life. Compare to Honey & Clover where all the different storylines are all intertwined and at various times some of the characters are doing great and others are having a terrible time, but it's all combined into one big fairly believable group of friends, family, lovers and rivals. Here once their "quest" is over with they pretty much vanish, even if they make token appearances here and there. For me it just seemed like it misses the point that your friends/clan/tribe are also very much a part of family, and even though Kyou, Sunohara and others do pop up they don't really impact the Okizaki family life much. I guess it just feels like a missed opportunity to me.

That's probably where I feel like it faltered most of all, even though doing all those things that made all of those characters happy is exactly what made it possible for him to change fate and create a world where Nagisa (and Ushio) survive they didn't manage to really show that doing all that also should bring happiness and joy to the best of times as well as comfort and solace in the very worst of times, even without anything supernatural happening.
Maybe I was just looking for different things than it was trying to present to me.

There were a great many things and especially small moments that really resonated with me, more and more keep occurring to me as I'm trying to finalize this post, however some of the drama just felt like the author loving with me and the characters rather than something that just organically happened within the story. Obviously fiction writing is artifice, I just felt like I could see the strings, so to speak.

That's a lot of words about Clannad that I just wrote, and reading it over it seems like my opinion of it is still finalizing. Let's just say I mostly loved it, but felt it has some serious flaws that keep it from gelling as a thematically consistent work for me.

Moving on to other works Aoi Hana has another extra released, it's pretty cute.
Volume 6 Extras: Little Women-Kanako Sensei along with;
Sweet Blue Flowers ch41: Melody (Part B) which is the newest actual chapter, finishing up the two part look at what's going on with Kyouko and Kou. They are kind of a mess, but perhaps slightly less of a mess than they have been.
Lastly, the Fantagraphics printing of Wandering Son is fantastic and I'm seriously pretty bummed that we have to wait until January for volume two. :(

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 10, 2011

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
This thread just reminded me that NANA's been stuck on chapter 84 for two years now :smith:

I wish they'd at least finish it out via the anime or something; I mean good god, any resolution is better than none. At least let us know if that blonde-haired kid in the flash-forwards is Nobu's or not.

Lovely Complex is one of my favorite series--the ending was admittedly crap but the comedic timing in it is just too good. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned MARS yet, though. That's honestly the one series I can say where everything I ever wanted to happen in a shoujo happened. It's a great read for anyone who likes their shoujo with a little more realism (aka Yazawa-esque). Unique in that most of the angst has more to do with the main couple's surroundings than their relationship itself.

On an earlier note I'd totally recommend High School Debut for any LoveCom fan. Cute art, similar humor and once the leads hook up the rest of it is pretty smooth sailing. Fairly short though since there isn't a whole lot of conflict.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

That actually ties into some of what I didn't like though. I feel like the way each arc was presented was too disconnected from each other. It was like, solve one problem, then the next, then the next, rather than feeling like following someone’s actual life. Compare to Honey & Clover where all the different storylines are all intertwined and at various times some of the characters are doing great and others are having a terrible time, but it's all combined into one big fairly believable group of friends, family, lovers and rivals. Here once their "quest" is over with they pretty much vanish, even if they make token appearances here and there. For me it just seemed like it misses the point that your friends/clan/tribe are also very much a part of family, and even though Kyou, Sunohara and others do pop up they don't really impact the Tomoyo family life much. I guess it just feels like a missed opportunity to me.
You probably already know this, but this is of course because the original arcs in the visual novel are stand-alone and rarely do they occur in the same run through the game before you get to the credits (there are one or two cases where you obtain light orbs for multiple characters in a single route, but it's rare). Kotomi actually doesn't appear at all in any other route but her own, for example. As a result, the first season of CLANNAD suffers a little bit from having to force these mostly independent stories to fit one narrative and force characters who normally would not be present to be around during them. There are some important themes still present in these routes so I don't feel they should've been skipped over outright, but making them organically fit together would be quite difficult. This is why we get things like the "Another World" Tomoyo and Kyou OVAs, because they literally could not fit into a single timeline. But as they deal with "family" in a similar fashion to the others, thematically they are still supposed to be connected to the greater whole. And ultimately this is why I liked After Story so much, because it was able to focus on a single story for a lengthy period of time without extra interference like in the season 1 arcs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

<a bunch of stuff that pretty much sums up what I learned about the adaptation and how I feel too>
And ultimately this is why I liked After Story so much, because it was able to focus on a single story for a lengthy period of time without extra interference like in the season 1 arcs.

Once they were able to do that, it pushed this series from from "pretty good" to "I can't stop watching but I really have to go to sleep eventually and I really don't want to be all tired and sad all day at work".

Blood Nightmaster posted:

MARS yet, though. That's honestly the one series I can say where everything I ever wanted to happen in a shoujo happened.

On an earlier note I'd totally recommend High School Debut for any LoveCom fan.

New things to check out are always good to learn about, thanks!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I don't think you'd find many fans of the Clannad anime that would disagree with your feelings that the thing was slightly disjointed. It was, as Nate said, a visual novel adaptation, one with multiple paths that seldom overlapped characters. It's one of the biggest reasons why After Story is regarded higher than Clannad's first season.

In the end, Clannad is the story between Tomoya and Nagisa (and later Ushio). The other stories are nice, but ultimately they are side stories, and without the "win the girl" portion of their stories from the visual novel, they kind of fall by the wayside. Once the main story kicks back on track though, I don't think I can think of any show or movie in recent times that could make me quite as emotional as Clannad did.

Fun fact (minor Clannad game spoilers): All the girls joining the theater club wasn't a part of Nagisa's route, it's actually from Kotomi's route. Nagisa's route had barely any overlap with the other girls, other than recruiting either Kyou or Tomoyo for the 3-on-3 basketball game. The school play was a little sad because it was really only Tomoya, Nagisa, and Sunohara as part of the theater club. I'm glad they stuck with the Kotomi route's thing of having all the girls join the club.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 8, 2011

coathat
May 21, 2007

New kuragehime http://www.mangafox.com/manga/kuragehime/v08/c040/1.html

Any one who liked the Anime but didn't like how it ends should really read the manga. It's really awesome.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke is back with chapter 60. This is the only place I find it online. Mango Scans now appears to require registration to download.

As for the chapter itself, it feels like a lot of things are going to come to a head soon. Kent/Ayane and Chizuru/Ryu probably getting resolved before the big one, that is Kazehaya/Sawako's relationship stagnating.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Kimi ni Todoke is back with chapter 60. This is the only place I find it online. Mango Scans now appears to require registration to download.

As for the chapter itself, it feels like a lot of things are going to come to a head soon. Kent/Ayane and Chizuru/Ryu probably getting resolved before the big one, that is Kazehaya/Sawako's relationship stagnating.

Thanks for finding that, ever since mangoscans made it so you have to register and post in their forums to even seen when a release is out I was curious to see where their releases would pop up next, especially since somemanga seems to be dead, dead, dead now.

Ahaha, those girls trying to recruit Ayane into the :swoon:Kent:swoon: fanclub.

Poor Ryu and Chizu :( I'm starting to really miss people being happy in this manga.

It is confirmed that that's a Red Hot Chili Peppers hat that Ryu is wearing, and that makes me smile because I still think of them as a band that I like even though they've totally sucked since 1991!

Just as an aside, itunes deciding that playing the Clannad After Story OP and Ano Hana's ED back to back is a dirty trick to play on a day when I'm already feeling kind of melancholic. :mad:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 9, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coathat posted:

New kuragehime http://www.mangafox.com/manga/kuragehime/v08/c040/1.html

Any one who liked the Anime but didn't like how it ends should really read the manga. It's really awesome.
I don't want to blindly fumble around the chapters trying to find the right one and spoiling something by accident, which chapter is when the anime ends and manga picks up?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I'm a little under the halfway point of Nana and :smithicide: I don't know how much more sorrow I can take.

I think AnyManga is the only site that has the series uploaded in full for those who want to (re)live the tragedy. Does anyone know if the author has recovered or is she still out of commission?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

theDOWmustflow posted:

I'm a little under the halfway point of Nana and :smithicide: I don't know how much more sorrow I can take.

I think AnyManga is the only site that has the series uploaded in full for those who want to (re)live the tragedy. Does anyone know if the author has recovered or is she still out of commission?

She's recovered from her illness but she mentioned she hasn't picked up a pen since it had happened and she just wasn't sure she'd ever return to drawing again. That was well over a year ago so things are looking slim. I'll be so depressed if she never finishes it.

Kula Bocca
Jan 11, 2006

After the White House what is there to do but drink?
Man, of the josei series I've bought in the past 5 years, Nana's on permanent hiatus, Nodame Cantabile's stuck in publishing limbo, With the Light's mangaka died, and Usagi Drop... ends like it does. Only Honey and Clover actually ended in a normal way. I sure know how to pick 'em :(

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I love this series. It is the best. I think that all the characters are pretty likable :3:
I noticed that it is being officially translated. Anyone know what the quality is like?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_Frag_Man posted:

I love this series. It is the best. I think that all the characters are pretty likable :3:
I noticed that it is being officially translated. Anyone know what the quality is like?

They're on my amazon wishlist I just haven't got around to actually picking them up yet, because I'm lame. I do remember glancing through the first volume when I braved the manga isle at a Barnes and Noble and from what I saw the translation seemed good and the dialogue sounded pretty natural. The anime gets a dvd/bluray release starting in January too.

The official US trailer if you haven't seen it

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The_Frag_Man posted:

I liked it and think they did a good job. But I also don't read much scans ever so I can't tell you how they'd compare.

But if you want to officially support it it's worthy of it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:neckbeard:

http://www.nisamerica.com/kiminitodoke

Release Date: January 2012
Genre: Romance, Friendship, Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Age Rating: Everyone
2 DVD, 2 Blu-ray disc set
Total of 12 episodes
Approximately 25 min/episode
Features original Japanese voice acting
English subtitles
Bonus Movies: Clean Opening and Ending
Premium box: 28 page, full color, hardcover art book
(approx. 11" x 7")
Art book includes character information and Sawako's most cherished memories. Get inside her head and experience the story of Volume 1 through Sawako's memories!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just to give people a heads up. Those artboxes NISA does are loving HUGE compared to most anime packaging. But they are very well made and very sturdy and look incredible.

I have them from 3 series now and the ones for Katanagatari are fantastic looking.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I'm rewatching Kare Kano for the first time in like 6 years, and I think I'm in love with it again. I've completely forgotten what it was like to have both the male and female shoujo anime leads not be useless sacks of blushing and stuttering.

Miyazawa is completely awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember reading manga that had the exact same premise as Kare Kano, except it was typical cliched.

:barf:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

What manga is this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Switch Girl.

quote:

TAMIYA Nika is a beautiful, outgoing, popular high school girl. She has just the right look, just the right fashions, and is everyone’s friend. What everyone at school does not know is how hard Nika works to keep up this perfect image, and what she is REALLY like at home. When not at school, Nika is a scary, sloppy, tight-fisted girl who wears glasses, an ugly sweatsuit, and has her hair pulled back into unattractive buns. She lays around playing video games and reading manga. Her attitude is bossy and cranky, and she travels far out of her way to shop where she won’t be recognized.

Every day, Nika “Switches On” with a strict regimen of beautification that involves primping and plucking and careful dressing. The only person who knows about Nika’s Switched On/Off modes is her best friend, who is also aware of the reasons behind the changes.

However, soon a second person finds about about Nika’s personalities - someone who has his own On/Off switch, but in reverse! His name is KAMIYAMA Arata, and he is a recent transfer student. He meets Nika when she is in OFF Mode, and then again at school when she is ON. However Nika can see that he has his little secret. At school, Arata wears thick swirly-eyed glasses and messy hair that make some bullies think he is an otaku. However, at home, he ditches the glasses and is downright gorgeous! He is just the opposite of Nika, but why?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm crossposting this because if you haven't watched any of Makoto Shinkai's work you really probably should, it's not really shoujo but it sure as hell falls into the emotional/romance spectrum.

a kitten posted:

Crunchyroll is streaming 5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days for free this week since Makoto Shinkai is making an appearance at the NY Anime Festival.

Voices is only half an hour long and packs a pretty decent emotional punch for its length and is a great place to start if you're unfamiliar with his work, he made it entirely by himself and he and his wife provided the voicework for it.

If you haven't seen them and like well directed, well animated (to be fair, sometimes the faces he draws are a little weird) stories of love, loss, and longing you should definitely check them out.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Another new chapter of Kuragehime is out!

If you haven't read this manga, you should start right now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Another new chapter of Kuragehime is out!

If you haven't read this manga, you should start right now.

That's next! I really liked the first three episodes of the anime, but somehow managed to not keep up with it past that point. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to finish watching it and then read the manga.

In the meantime I'm re-reading and catching up with Wandering Son. The first thing I've noticed is that the Fantagraphics translation is really good, and I'm really missing it while reading the scanlated version. Second, by book two her art has improved a whole hell of a lot, not that it was bad to begin with, but still, holy crap, good job getting better at drawing Shimura. Lastly, Sasa (the super short, pig tailed girl) is awesome and hilarious and should be in the story even more than she already is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On chapter 34 of Kuragehime and I've gotta say I much, much, MUCH prefer the direction the manga's taken as opposed to the anime's rather rushed final episodes.

Plus, Mayaya actually became useful for something!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a kitten posted:

Lastly, Sasa (the super short, pig tailed girl) is awesome and hilarious and should be in the story even more than she already is.

Sarashina Chizuru is even better. She's completely out of it and it's wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Sarashina Chizuru is even better. She's completely out of it and it's wonderful.

It's a bit of a shame now that (post middle school spoilers for Wandering Son) they're all in different schools now we're seeing a whole lot less of her and Sasa (and annoying clingy girl). Takatsuki and Sasa live really close by each other, but apparently barely interact at all now. :(

Kimi ni Todoke 61 is out. Wow, Ayane really, really doesn't want to get close to anyone romantically and she's really adept at avoiding it. Not that I'm particularly gun-ho on stupid Kent being the one who ends up getting close to her, but it still bums me out so see her actively avoiding even the possibility of affection.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 26, 2011