Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BELL END posted:

What's the best partitioning software? Partition Magic? (I haven't repartitioned in like 10 years). Is there a decent freeware alternative?

What exactly do you need to partition? Windows can handle it for you quite easily if you're looking to partition a new drive or one you don't mind erasing, using Disk Management. It can also usually handle shrinking an existing partition (provided it has enough free space) or removing a partition and expanding another on the same drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I have a 5-6ish year old desktop chugging along, and I've been considering putting Windows 7 on it.

P4 2.53ghz
1gb of ram
Radeon X1650
Currently running XP Pro

I know this is pretty old and hoary, but I was thinking of giving it a shot.

The question is, is does MS have some kind of application that will determine hardware compatibility, or am I going to have to figure out each component on my own?

I also have a similarly aged Alienware laptop, but I imagine the drivers are so specific that I wouldn't bother.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Zeitgueist posted:

The question is, is does MS have some kind of application that will determine hardware compatibility, or am I going to have to figure out each component on my own?

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20

You could have figured that out yourself by Googling "is your computer ready for windows 7".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Grawl posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20

You could have figured that out yourself by Googling "is your computer ready for windows 7".

Thank you and point taken.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

BELL END posted:

What's the best partitioning software? Partition Magic? (I haven't repartitioned in like 10 years). Is there a decent freeware alternative?
I seem to remember Gparted being recommended

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Is there any way to increase the amount of memory used for caching in SuperFetch? I've found myself with 12GB of RAM and Windows is only caching about 2GB, which is leaving me with something like 6-7GB free at any given time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is 7-zip still the raddest lightweight archive thingy? I just went to the website to check for updates and the last stable release is a year old (and the beta's from April this year). It still does everything I want, I was just wondering if there's a new sheriff in town

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Is there any way to increase the amount of memory used for caching in SuperFetch? I've found myself with 12GB of RAM and Windows is only caching about 2GB, which is leaving me with something like 6-7GB free at any given time.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/SuperFetch-Enhanced-Prefetch-64346.shtml

If superfetch is only using 2 gigs, then that's all your usage patterns need.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My aunt bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 (not sure what version). Can a "regular" version of Windows be installed on it with the same serial? Meaning I want to flatten and install a fresh copy of Windows 7(same version) and use the serial number that came with my system or is that specifically for bundled versions of Windows?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but what is a good way to change FLAC music files into mp3, I downloaded a soundtrack in the wrong codec and need to change it to fit on my cell phone. Thanks for the help.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

cmykjester posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but what is a good way to change FLAC music files into mp3, I downloaded a soundtrack in the wrong codec and need to change it to fit on my cell phone. Thanks for the help.

fre:ac?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

cmykjester posted:

Lamedrop.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

b0nes posted:

My aunt bought a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 (not sure what version). Can a "regular" version of Windows be installed on it with the same serial? Meaning I want to flatten and install a fresh copy of Windows 7(same version) and use the serial number that came with my system or is that specifically for bundled versions of Windows?

It should work.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

cmykjester posted:

foobar2000 and a copy of LAME.exe will also work, and will also migrate over all the tags. Oh, hey, and it's also handy as a music player.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've constantly been getting some weirdness out of Hamachi, and I was hoping I could get an answer here.

Basically, if it's enabled, every once in a while the connection it creates knocks my internet out until it's disabled. I don't know if Windows thinks it's the primary connection (if that even makes sense) or what. Has anyone else had problems with it as well?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That happened to me, but I just uninstalled Hamachi since I didn't need it. Don't know of an easier fix, sorry.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm set to receive a new Inspiron tower sometime today for my grandma, and I'm going to wipe it and reinstall Home Premium to get rid of all the Dell crapware. It comes with x64 but only has 2GB of ram. Should I just stay with x64 or go down to x86? I severely doubt this thing will ever get any more ram.

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
Is there any utility that will allow me to customize the colors of the Aero theme easily and completely? I'm stuck using Windows Classic theme since it's the only one that provides full customization (changing the menu background color, buttons, fonts, etc.) I'd love to have the new Aero features without the all the ugliness. Give me my 192,192,192 grey please, none of the shiny blue and white crap.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

cmykjester posted:

Mediacoder free edition is my go to. It even has an x64 version.

sixtyVolts
Apr 29, 2004

Is there an easy way to automate or script a way to update a specific value in an xml file on all computers in a network? The file is located in a user folder on each machine. I'm pretty new to automating and scripting, so any help or direction would be appreciated.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
What is some good, cheap Voice to Text / dictation software for Windows 7?

My dad was using an ancient version of Dragon or something back on an old Windows XP box. I just got him a new Windows 7 x64 computer, and the old software doesn't seem to work very well.

It conflicts with the built-in speech recognition software (so it wont learn), and it keeps going off/on on him. I don't know how well the Windows 7 speech recognition software works, but my dad is use to the bar (at the top of the screen) the old software gives him, and he wants something like that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can someone recommend me a free program that is similar to Digsby?

I want something that consolidates my AOL and Google chat clients, and can access my gmail as well.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Pidgin is free. Trillian has a free version.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hughmoris posted:

I want something that consolidates my AOL and Google chat clients, and can access my gmail as well.

What's wrong with Digsby itself?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

hooah posted:

What's wrong with Digsby itself?

I've heard the old rumors of Digsby installing bloatware along with the client. I just did a fresh install of Windows and I'm trying to avoid that. Did they iron out that issue or is it still a problem?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hughmoris posted:

Instantbird, son

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hughmoris posted:

I've heard the old rumors of Digsby installing bloatware along with the client. I just did a fresh install of Windows and I'm trying to avoid that. Did they iron out that issue or is it still a problem?

It was always pretty obvious opt-out stuff during the installation, but a month or so ago they announced that they would be (already were?) bought, so that stuff should be gone now. Just a note that the facebook feed is currently not connecting; it might have something to do with the recent facebook changes.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I keep losing internet connection. Restarting my computer fixes the problem almost every time. I imagine there's some setting that needs to be changed somewhere. Any ideas?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Belligerent Monk posted:

I keep losing internet connection. Restarting my computer fixes the problem almost every time. I imagine there's some setting that needs to be changed somewhere. Any ideas?

Update your nic/wireless drivers. If it's Intel, google intel driver update.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was doing some computing from my sofa a while ago just with my mouse, and I thought I'd give the windows on-screen keyboard a try for the first time. I wanted to switch the game between windowed and full screen, which is ctrl+f for whatever reason. The on-screen keyboard couldn't do it though, even when I confirmed that the game's window was currently focused. Are there some commands that the on-screen keyboard just can't do, or is the game being dumb (the latter is very likely)?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Hughmoris posted:

Honestly, give Trillian a try. The latest builds are just plain awesome.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Is there a way to install windows 7 to a particular partition/HD? For some reason the windows 7 upgrade install program wants to install to my linux partition instead of my normal C:

Appachai fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 4, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Instantbird, son

I gave this a try since I'm always willing to check out new IM programs, but this thing is really not ready for the big-time. Want to move your Facebook buddies to a different group? Too bad. You can combine contacts, yeah, but both versions still just chill out in the buddy list. Unless there's an extension that fixes these two issues?

Also, no Facebook feed. Boo.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Appachai posted:

Is there a way to install windows 7 to a particular partition/HD? For some reason the windows 7 upgrade install program wants to install to my linux partition instead of my normal C:

Are you booting off the disk or running it from inside Windows?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

WorkingStiff posted:

Are you booting off the disk or running it from inside Windows?

I was running it inside windows.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm on Windows 7 and trying to learn Spanish. I am looking for a free piece of text to speech software that has a Spanish voice. The inbuilt Windows 7 one is only Anna and she's just English.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sad Panda posted:

I'm on Windows 7 and trying to learn Spanish. I am looking for a free piece of text to speech software that has a Spanish voice. The inbuilt Windows 7 one is only Anna and she's just English.

You're using Windows to teach yourself Spanish? If you don't know how to pronounce certain words, look at a Spanish dictionary. They have all of the pronunciations there.

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

Get yourself a "copy" of rosetta stone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sad Panda posted:

Google Translate has a TTS feature that I find really good in every language I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Super Dude posted:

You're using Windows to teach yourself Spanish? If you don't know how to pronounce certain words, look at a Spanish dictionary. They have all of the pronunciations there.

It's mainly because if I get some TTS software I can copy & paste a chunk of dialogue to get read to practice listening. Not as good as a native speaker obviously, but it's great for getting random sentences read from a page of them to tune my ear.

Siggers posted:

Get yourself a "copy" of rosetta stone.

Does it have TTS?

NihilCredo posted:

Google Translate has a TTS feature that I find really good in every language I know.

I used Google Translate a bit, my only problem is that it only works with quite short passages. I tried pasting 30 sentences in and it wouldn't read them all.